PDA

View Full Version : no more room for guitarists?? help

oxsolidxsnakexo
10-28-2010, 03:25 AM
so me (with a guitar) by myself was trying to join a friends game (he sent me invite).. it was him on keys, his wife on vocals, and some chick on bass. whenever i tried to join it would say something like:: there is no more room for a guitarist, or something like that. im like, wtf? this game is suppose to let you play with at leastt 5 people now, and it would never let me in for that reason alone...
why is thiss??

PurpleSkwid
10-28-2010, 03:43 AM
As far as I know, you can't have two guitarists and a keyboard player.

It has to be either guitar and keyboard, guitar and bass or bass and keyboard.

Unless you play locally.

RealistIdealist
10-28-2010, 03:51 AM
As far as I know, you can't have two guitarists and a keyboard player.

It has to be either guitar and keyboard, guitar and bass or bass and keyboard.

Unless you play locally.

Aww damn. I didn't know you couldn't play 7 player online. I thought it had said "Play 7 player xbox live" or something like that on the messages screen.

SebastianSB
10-28-2010, 04:01 AM
The back of the box clearly says 2-7 players online. I wonder if you have to use a certain mode?

oxsolidxsnakexo
10-28-2010, 04:10 AM
and to support the above statement, the back of the box also shows a drum, KEY, GUITAR, and BASS being played. but ya, "online multiplayer 2-7, and co-op 2-7" btw, that "co-op 2-7 is listed in orange for online in additionnn to the green local play..

so wtf? can someone please try to figure this out?

theshieguy
10-28-2010, 04:33 AM
It was announced that due to latency issues, only 4 instruments could be played at one time over XBL.

So, 1-3 vocalists, guitar, bass and drums. Or Guitar, bass, drums, keyboard, etc. Any combination of 4 instruments out of the 5 available. All Instruments mode can only be played locally, so I don't know why the game case has "2-7" players for XBL. It should be "2-6." :confused:

OP, if the game wouldn't let you join, it was probably an issue with Rock Central (it's happened to me in Rock Band 2 a few times). Rock Central's been in and out since early Tuesday morning. I haven't been able to check my high scores, friends' setlists or anything Rock Central related since yesterday, so I haven't even bothered trying to see if the online play was issue-free.

For now, my advice would be to ask your friend to send you an invite and have his wife and/or another extra player sign in after you've joined the session.

Darkhorse4life
10-28-2010, 05:48 AM
Not to be a jerk but I'm going to have to break up your theory, we've tested this extensively among friends. You simply can't have more than 2 of the following... bass, guitar, keyboard in an xbox live session. Any other combination seems to work.

For example we had me on guitar, friend 1 on drums, friend 2 on vocals. We can all join the session without issue.

Me on guitar, friend 1 on keyboard, friend 2 on vocals. We can all join the session.

Me on guitar, friend 1 on keyboard, friend 2 tries to join on guitar (for bass). This session is full on guitarists, cannot join (mind you these are the same exact friends).

Me on guitar, friend 2 on guitar, friend 1 on keyboard. This session is full on keyboardists, cannot join.

This was all the same group of friends swapping around instruments during the same hour of trying to join a game. All times when 2 guitars and 1 keyboard tried to joint the same game it didn't work, all times we were on separate instruments it worked without issue.

Being experienced xbox live users, we tried changing who did the inviting. The order of inviting. Who was hosting the game. In and out of XBL party. Who was on what instrument. We even added a 4th player into the mix, all tests confirm our theory.

So the above just isn't true, the problem wasn't with xbox lives servers (trust me I'd like to blame them too), it's the way Harmonix coded it. Why? Don't ask me I'm not a developer ;).

theshieguy
10-28-2010, 06:14 AM
Not to be a jerk but I'm going to have to break up your theory, we've tested this extensively among friends. You simply can't have more than 2 of the following... bass, guitar, keyboard in an xbox live session. Any other combination seems to work.

For example we had me on guitar, friend 1 on drums, friend 2 on vocals. We can all join the session without issue.

Me on guitar, friend 1 on keyboard, friend 2 on vocals. We can all join the session.

Me on guitar, friend 1 on keyboard, friend 2 tries to join on guitar (for bass). This session is full on guitarists, cannot join (mind you these are the same exact friends).

Me on guitar, friend 2 on guitar, friend 1 on keyboard. This session is full on keyboardists, cannot join.

This was all the same group of friends swapping around instruments during the same hour of trying to join a game. All times when 2 guitars and 1 keyboard tried to joint the same game it didn't work, all times we were on separate instruments it worked without issue.

Being experienced xbox live users, we tried changing who did the inviting. The order of inviting. Who was hosting the game. In and out of XBL party. Who was on what instrument. We even added a 4th player into the mix, all tests confirm our theory.

So the above just isn't true, the problem wasn't with xbox lives servers (trust me I'd like to blame them too), it's the way Harmonix coded it. Why? Don't ask me I'm not a developer ;).

Well, there you have it. Only 2 instruments out of guitar, bass and keyboard can be played online together. Is it funny that I pictured a "matter of factly" delivery of all that stuff you wrote? :p

When online instrument combinations were discussed before RB3 released, Harmonix only said that all vocalists had to be on one game system and that only 4 out of 5 instruments could be played online at one time. It was never specified that guitar, bass and keyboard couldn't all play together.

I'm sorry that I don't have first-hand experience like some people because I was too busy typing up achievement details to accept all the RB3 game invites friends sent me. /joke :p

And I never said it had anything to do with xbox live's servers. ;) Harmonix has their own servers for each Rock Band game that is separate from XBL. This could be a game bug (among other things like missing DLC) or it could be a Rock Central issue. This issue is completely independent of XBL. Issues with Rock Band 2 have happened every now and then (like not being able to connect to a session). So this problem is either a Rock Central bug OR Harmonix DID program the game that way and never got around to mentioning that information. :cool:

MuscularTea
10-28-2010, 10:51 AM
thats pretty lame, but oh well. Just from the box I thought it was 2-7.

Shaynringan
10-28-2010, 03:31 PM
Did you turn on ALL INSTRUMENTS MODE?

I was dicking around in the options menu while waiting for a slow host to choose which particular 3 metal songs he wanted us to play with him, and found this option. It warned me that doing this would put vocals into controllerless mode (which would account for 1-3 players for vocal harmonies), and allow guitar/bass/keys/drums in.