PDA

View Full Version : What makes Achievements so addictive?

DokMMz
10-28-2010, 10:43 AM
I've been trying to answer this for myself for months!

But what do you think make Achievements so addictive?

Sayam
10-28-2010, 11:48 AM
The noise ;)

ChArG1nMaLAZ0R
10-28-2010, 12:41 PM
The noise ;)

bloo bloop :Bounce:

Sayam
10-28-2010, 12:53 PM
lol it's my reason and i'm sticking to it lol :) i need to get it as my text ringtone ;)

velho lobodomar
10-28-2010, 01:33 PM
i think itīs the "collection characteristic" it has.
people who like playing games usually like collecting stuff.

Muhnamana
10-28-2010, 01:56 PM
The little noise you hear when an achievement is unlocked.

See link in case you want to download it.

http://majornelson.com/archive/2007/03/15/download-the-achivement-unlocked-sound.aspx (http://majornelson.com/archive/2007/03/15/download-the-achivement-unlocked-sound.aspx)

Sayam
10-28-2010, 02:01 PM

http://majornelson.com/archive/2007/03/15/download-the-achivement-unlocked-sound.aspx (http://majornelson.com/archive/2007/03/15/download-the-achivement-unlocked-sound.aspx)

I love you! (not in a gay way that is) i'm useing this to death!!!!:Bounce:

rman0099
10-28-2010, 02:07 PM

AWESOME! Thanks for the sound bite. The most addicting sound in the world.....

ps. Nice to see another Phils Phan on the forum!!

Opiate42
10-28-2010, 02:11 PM
bloo bloop :Bounce:

"Bloo boop" and the smile we always end up with hearing it.

Concur with Sayam, feel the love dude, feel the love. :)

I just downloaded it.

iiDaRReN316x
10-28-2010, 02:11 PM
Hell i only get achievements to hear that noise !!!

Starstrukk X360A
10-28-2010, 02:40 PM
That feeling of being rewarded in a world where you'll constantly be screwed over.
Yeah, that's about it.

To everyone that says "to hear that noise"
Add everyone you run into on XBL for the same effect =p

Opiate42
10-28-2010, 02:52 PM
That feeling of being rewarded in a world where you'll constantly be screwed over.
Yeah, that's about it.

HAHA yah that's very true too....there's always a silver lining to be found somewhere.

After a shit day at work I unlock a few achievements, have a beer, and all is right with the world.

Muhnamana
10-28-2010, 03:34 PM
AWESOME! Thanks for the sound bite. The most addicting sound in the world.....

ps. Nice to see another Phils Phan on the forum!!

Glad to help you guys out.

I assume you are Phils Phan as well? It was hard to watch last night, knowing they should've been there.

DarkBigone
10-28-2010, 05:37 PM
I've always liked to complete my games (whenever possible, anyway) chievos just make it easier to show it.
Also the little sound brings a smile to my face :p

i got squeezed
10-28-2010, 06:11 PM
Lmao, all gamers just enjoy that *bloop* and added it to your Gamerscore, I really don't know why, it's just something in our blood to earn achieves.

TakahashiDemon
10-28-2010, 06:27 PM
They're fun, sometimes frustrating but mostly fun, plus it is getting your money's worth of the game.

Sound is nice too, but its the same as friends coming online.. when its like "oh I get an achievement for this?" then realize its a friend who came online lol they needa make the sounds different! lol

LedForeigner
10-28-2010, 06:50 PM
Personally, I like the idea of bragging rights. I automatically think a person with a high gamerscore in a shooter, for example, will be more helpful on my team than someone with a low one.

Illicit
10-28-2010, 07:05 PM
I've been trying to answer this for myself for months!

But what do you think make Achievements so addictive?

I'm addicted to gaming more than actual achievements...ever since Atari I always wanted to play as many as I could and keep a decent sized collection.
Still to this day I feel that way.

I do like achievements though as they add a bit of life/replay value to a game I would have otherwise not played after I beat it.

CONKER1182
10-28-2010, 07:07 PM
It gives you something else to do not just beat the game like in the old days and you get gamerpoints for it.

Chipsonfire
10-28-2010, 07:24 PM
It's a psychological effect, actually. It's the idea of being rewarded combined with instant gratification and competition. You are getting rewarded for a relatively minor thing and it makes you feel good. Not only does it have a qualitative 'you did something right' quality from the achievement, but also a more tangible aspect in the form of gamer points. With the gamer points, you can show off to the world how many points you have, and having more than someone else can give a feeling of being 'better' than them, which also makes you feel good. It becomes psychologically addicting because you get a minor endorphin rush when you get an achievement.

Essentially what it comes down to is that console developers is clever folk.

Eviltoastman
10-28-2010, 08:03 PM
Thankfully I'm not afflicted.

AltruismIsDead
10-28-2010, 08:33 PM
As a gamer all my life the thing that drew me in and made me addicted to achievements is quite simple:

It's something to show for what you have done. What games you have all played and what achievements you got in them.

Growing up with all my friends, and being younger, you'd always hear "nuh uh, you didn't beat that game!" or "there's no way you could beat it on such and such difficulty" basic stuff like that. Also since my brother and I would scrounge up every penny we had just to buy games, and were always die hard video gamers (hell, to this day, I'd sooner not eat for a day or two as long as I would have enough money to buy my next game). So a lot of people wouldn't believe us that we had such and such games for whatever systems. (Although ironically now with the internet and hackers, people don't believe you now anyways :( )

Add that in, with what originally started as friendly competition and boasting about achievements amongst friends, and now you have an achievement addiction.

Then not to sound callous, but the sound really doesn't do anything for me now a days, aside from annoy me when friends pop online always at the time you would expect an achievement.

TsarBlandi
10-28-2010, 10:26 PM
i treat an achievement as an extra mission or objective, an extra goal to try and achieve regardless of the GS it gives; so for me its the completion im after

bapae
10-29-2010, 01:58 AM
I only like getting them cause i have nothing better to do with my life.

SpiralGamerpro
10-29-2010, 02:04 AM
Incentive. You could add something to your personal profile that people could see by completing some thing in a game. If you see a 100G achievement for beating level 14, that's great incentive to play through the game.

connor2hd
10-29-2010, 02:43 AM
The Collection, Its great to show of my hard work to other gamers

Fire Hawk D
10-29-2010, 03:30 AM
I'm not sure. I mean, I've always been a collecting freak. Long before I met my first achievement I would always get every collectable in a game. Sometimes, I'd even collect things that didn't need to be collected...then World of Warcraft's achievements came along. I got hooked quick. Then, that game got annoying. Next, I found out the Xbox had achievements last October, and I haven't looked back.

l Absolution l
10-29-2010, 03:33 AM
For me, it gives me something to go back to the game for.

Miyu
10-29-2010, 06:51 AM
After a shit day at work I unlock a few achievements, have a beer, and all is right with the world.

Off topic but . . . "all is right with the world" made me immediately think of Neon Genesis Evangelion!

chivalryVillian
10-29-2010, 07:07 AM
the excitement of obtaining hard long earned achievements.

Snowwwwy
10-29-2010, 07:23 AM
The noise ;)
This, lmao, and I love the big number.

Edouken
10-29-2010, 08:14 AM
I just like the feeling of competition with friends.

FFFreak1129
10-29-2010, 10:45 AM
I like them because it helps me get more out of my games. I beat them but then I see that there are things that I missed and so I will go back to try to complete it. Well if I like the game that is.

Wortsenawl
10-29-2010, 11:20 AM
...the sound really doesn't do anything for me now a days, aside from annoy me when friends pop online always at the time you would expect an achievement.

Yeah, isn't that the most disappointing feeling and curiously it happens way more than I would have thought.

WarHawk ZER0
10-29-2010, 04:56 PM
I think it's because when you get a achievement that your best mate doesn't have yet' a hard one in fact that he's been trying to get yet he can't. Makes it that more amazing

Shiryoyami
10-29-2010, 05:07 PM
Yeah, that's about it.

That described my first thoughts of reading this thread perfectly. xD

Plus, depending on the friend, competition can be fun. :P

WarHawk ZER0
10-29-2010, 05:44 PM
That described my first thoughts of reading this thread perfectly. xD

Plus, depending on the friend, competition can be fun. :P

Agreed....

Mrs S0ul H4ck3r
10-29-2010, 06:05 PM
It feels like you have accomplished something, and makes you work even harder to get it done! Thank you Microsoft <3