PDA

View Full Version : Playing Other Parts on Keyboard

Shaynringan
10-28-2010, 03:22 PM
Hey everyone.

So, I love the keyboard, but am so not loving the lack of keyboard parts for now. What I do notice is that it lets you play Guitar or Bass parts if you choose.

If you beat the Guitar or Bass part for a song via Keyboard controller, does it count towards Guitar/Bass or Keys as far as Goals are concerned?

Also, are the parts modified in anyway? Example, do they cut down on the rapid fire single note runs, or is the only solution to just step down to medium-ish?

To my understanding, the majority of higher difficulty parts for Guitar/Bass would be utterly impossible to perform. via keys.

Thanks!

EDIT:: Also... does using keys to play a guitar part count towards HOPO-Cider? If so Less Talk More Rokk will soon become my best friend. If not I'll play Less Talk More Rokk anyway because it's the best freaking song in the game. :)

MartyMcFly
10-28-2010, 03:48 PM
Good questions. I've used the Keyboard to play Bass for a couple of goals and they unlocked no problem. I actually got the 500 note Bass Achievement this way.

As far as HOPOs along with playing on a higher difficulty, I don't know, I didn't try it.

Not having to strum basically makes every note a HOPO with the keytar. But if you have the ability to play Expert "guitar" on the keyboard, you might as well just use a guitar controller.

Shaynringan
10-28-2010, 06:00 PM
That's very helpful information. Thank you. Now I know that Keyboard controller used to play Bass counts towards Bass goals.... so what I will do tonight is I will try to use a keyboard controller to play a Guitar part and let you know if my HOPO count goes up.

Thank you again!

twistedsymphony
10-28-2010, 06:12 PM
Hey everyone.

So, I love the keyboard, but am so not loving the lack of keyboard parts for now. What I do notice is that it lets you play Guitar or Bass parts if you choose.

If you beat the Guitar or Bass part for a song via Keyboard controller, does it count towards Guitar/Bass or Keys as far as Goals are concerned?

Also, are the parts modified in anyway? Example, do they cut down on the rapid fire single note runs, or is the only solution to just step down to medium-ish?

To my understanding, the majority of higher difficulty parts for Guitar/Bass would be utterly impossible to perform. via keys.

Thanks!

EDIT:: Also... does using keys to play a guitar part count towards HOPO-Cider? If so Less Talk More Rokk will soon become my best friend. If not I'll play Less Talk More Rokk anyway because it's the best freaking song in the game. :)

I've FCed a few songs on expert guitar using the keyboard and it didn't unlock the corresponding guitar achievement...

I've also noticed that notes that are normally hammer ons or pull offs show up as regular notes when using the keyboard. so I would assume that you cannot earn those achievements with the keyboard either.

Shaynringan
10-28-2010, 06:14 PM
I see, so if the parts are converted to remove HOPO and replace them with standard notes, that would eliminate the need to test my theory. I appreciate it. That makes a lot of sense.

EDIT:: On that note, anybody know any keyboard friendly guitar charts?

All the Freezepop songs, especially Less Talk More Rokk ( :D ) are really, really fun on keytar, which actually makes a lot of sense.

Bulletproof, and the Lady Gaga songs, are great for keytar, anybody else have any recommendations for songs without dedicated keys charts that nevertheless are actually using keytar or are just fun to play with on the keytar? Thanks. :)

twistedsymphony
10-28-2010, 08:26 PM
Most of the Bass and some of the guitar parts for Nine Inch Nails work well for that, Same with Rob Zombie and Marilyn Manson.

another tip... I was destroyed playing keytar on a song that required I hit the same note rapid fire for long stretches... it's all strumming on bass but on keytar it's next to imposible.

I found that you can use same keys an octive lower, so for parts like that you can use your left hand to hit the same key an octive lower and alternate between your left and right hands.

MartyMcFly
10-28-2010, 08:53 PM
I see, so if the parts are converted to remove HOPO and replace them with standard notes, that would eliminate the need to test my theory. I appreciate it. That makes a lot of sense.

All the Freezepop songs, especially Less Talk More Rokk ( :D ) are really, really fun on keytar, which actually makes a lot of sense.

Bulletproof, and the Lady Gaga songs, are great for keytar, anybody else have any recommendations for songs without dedicated keys charts that nevertheless are actually using keytar or are just fun to play with on the keytar? Thanks. :)

"Smokin'" by Boston (DLC song) has a "guitar" solo that is actually organ notes. I would imagine this would be fun to play. The song is very tricky though and would be incredibly difficult on Expert with a keyboard I imagine.

Xkyojinxpandax
10-28-2010, 09:49 PM
I am no way good at playing guitar on expert, but the keytar on some songs I thought would be a little easier (taste like Kevin bacon, thrasher, etc) but instead is almost more difficult without a bar to alt. strum. The biggest problem I have is since there's no space between keys I'll accidently hit 2 keys. Other than that I love the learning curve playing the keytar.

MuscularTea
10-29-2010, 03:18 AM
This now makes me even more rotted that i couldn't get a keyboard since i'd love to play songs like that on keytar...

Napp
10-29-2010, 04:08 AM
This might count as a spoiler.. iunno but anyway

You eventually unlock the ability to play the Keyboard charts on guitar. I can confirm that the scores stay there in Quickplay mode (where as, if you 5 star a song on Expert Keys with the Guitar it'll display the X with 5 stars) but I'm not sure if they count toward band progress yet.

Dustinator
10-29-2010, 04:45 AM

I've been meaning to play some RBN songs using the keys. Like the Symbion Project, The Japanese Frog and I believe a Sybreed song too. Have yet to play them though. They're some of the bands as well as the ones you mentioned before, that sprung to my mind which seem great to play keytar

SebastianSB
10-29-2010, 05:41 AM
This should be great on keys:

YouTube - Rock Band 2 - RBN - deBaser - Happy Little Tune - Expert Guitar