PDA

View Full Version : Blockbuster or Gamefly?

wildwest08
10-28-2010, 08:35 PM
I recently saw that blockbuster rents games and it is cheaper than gamefly so I was wondering who I should go with? I had gamefly for a little bit and they were slow in getting games to me so if anyone has blockbuster how are they at getting games out?

Snowwwwy
10-28-2010, 09:54 PM
Never heard of 'Gamefly' so Id stick with 'Blockbuster' :D

EliteShadowMan
10-28-2010, 09:56 PM
I recently saw that blockbuster rents games and it is cheaper than gamefly so I was wondering who I should go with? I had gamefly for a little bit and they were slow in getting games to me so if anyone has blockbuster how are they at getting games out?

well i would think Gamefly would probably be a little bit better considering they specialize in sending games out lol. Even though i've had your same problem as well with how slow they are about sending games.

I would say pick the cheaper of the two.

Death Metal Jim
10-28-2010, 10:30 PM
Definitely go with Gamefly. Blockbuster is on the way out, and with their history of screwing customers over I personally wouldn't want to be under any sort of 'contract' with them.

XXII Death IIXX
10-28-2010, 10:35 PM
Definitely go with Gamefly. Blockbuster is on the way out.Exactly, blockbuster is in bankruptcy right now. Most likely they will not come out of it without closing down completely.

Starstrukk X360A
10-28-2010, 10:41 PM
GameFly: Stocks games the day they're released, but slow with only four shipping centers in the US.

BlockBuster: Fast, ability to trade in-store is available, but when doing it online games released in the past three months are not available.

It pretty much comes down to that.
I still use both though, just for the hell of it.

tehapoc
10-28-2010, 10:50 PM
Wouldn't necessarily say that Gamefly is slow. Would say that it's more of the postal services fault that things are delivered at a pace that you're not satisfied with.

But Blockbuster is going bankrupt and I would say having a long-term plan with them is pretty much nonexistent. Though they do have some conveniences, being previously said, cheaper and the ability to return games manually at your local Blockbuster.

There are also some university and local libraries that are beginning to stock and rent out games if you live near one of those.

the Damage617
10-29-2010, 01:58 AM
I'd say stick with gamefly.. Blockbuster has been having major money problems.. We had 2 stores in my town and both closed about 6 months ago, so I wouldn't trust them with anything.. I don't see GameFly dying down anytime.

nomadicmarbs
10-29-2010, 02:45 AM
redbox is also starting to rent games at $2/day...the selection is tiny but you get them instantly...just a thought

Starstrukk X360A
10-29-2010, 03:33 AM
redbox is also starting to rent games at $2/day...the selection is tiny but you get them instantly...just a thought

I wouldn't recommend it. Sure, you get them instantly, but if it's $2 a day, then you'd have to do everything you want to do in the game as quickly as you can as to not pay too much.

With sites like GameFly, Blockbuster, and Netflix (they don't rent games but I'm using it as an example) they give you the ability to have the game for as long as you want, with unlimited returns, for a set price.

12ozkrue
10-29-2010, 03:36 AM
i have gamefly and really have no problem with it, its got my vote

DopeySO
10-29-2010, 04:00 AM
Ive had both and personally like Blockbuster better. Mainly because its cheaper and the games arrive faster than they did for gamefly. But that is affected by where you live and the companies nearest shipping warehouse. For some people gamefly will be quicker shipping.

For the people saying Blockbuster is in trouble financially, thats partially true. Their brick and mortar stores are doing terrible, most of them will be closing. However their online business has shown a profit every quarter since they started it. So most people, including myself, see the future of Blockbuster as online only.

EliteShadowMan
10-29-2010, 04:04 AM

why would you mention redbox? it's only good for movies. No way would i pay 2 dollars a day for a game.

My rental store was better than that lmao 2 dollars for 1 game for 7 days, now that was a good deal. But they jacked their price up to $4.10 or something.

Just stick with gamefly they have a larger selection

RenegadeFlanker
10-29-2010, 04:15 AM
ok well alot of new games arent even available for months after their release with the online blockbuster program (Fable 3 isent available for like 4-6 months and thats common with alot of the new good games). also you can buy games at great prices on gamefy (go take a look they have some great deals). also gamefly is reliable they always get games to you fast and receive them quickly aswell. their the best game rental site and just because alot of the people on these forums havent heard of them does not mean blockbuster is better. so my answer is GAMEFLY!!!

DopeySO
10-29-2010, 04:27 AM
Meh, nvm.

Im pretty sure both companies offer a free trial. So just give them both a try and see which ones you like better, nothing to lose. :)

i got squeezed
10-29-2010, 04:12 PM
Gamefly, Blockbuster rips you off, you pay 9$ and like .50 cents to rent a game for 5 days. BUT thats up here in KY, I would go with gamefly and there cheaper

JAW LV
10-29-2010, 04:33 PM
I have used both and can say it just depends on how your financial situation is and what type of games you want to rent.

Pros on Blockbuster: they are a lot cheaper- I am currently using Blockbuster and have a 2 game plan that is less then Gamefly's 1 game plan lol. I get my games from a local Blockbuster store so they get mailed twice as fast as Netflix- this only applies to older games though. I also have the choice of going to the store and trading in for another game- it's part of the plan and I can do this up to 5x a month.

Pros on Netflix- they have a much larger selection of games. They don't have as long as a wait period on new releases- I think Blockbuster just started alowing rental of Madden 11 lol.

chivalryVillian
10-30-2010, 06:21 AM
omg please get gamefly. i got one and it's better than any rental service in the world. you get either 1 2 or 3 any game on any console for about,15.00 24.00 and 34.00 dollars a month. u cant beat that.

Wolverine674
10-30-2010, 06:42 AM
Definitely go with Gamefly. Blockbuster is on the way out, and with their history of screwing customers over I personally wouldn't want to be under any sort of 'contract' with them.

You're not under any kind of contract with Blockbuster. You sign up for monthly fees just like Gamefly, except it's about $7 cheaper per month for 1 game AND you can rent movies AND you get in store exchanges and returns.

omg please get gamefly. i got one and it's better than any rental service in the world. you get either 1 2 or 3 any game on any console for about,15.00 24.00 and 34.00 dollars a month. u cant beat that.

Really? Can't beat it? How about Blockbuster's 1, 2 or 3 games for $9, $14 and $17 a month? 3 games from Blockbuster for half the cost of Gamefly? I think I just beat it.

I've had Gamefly for a while now and they're turn around for games is horrible. They claim they have FastReturn to get games out quicker, but with about 5 Post Offices in my town, only 1 has ever scanned the envelopes and the only do it about 50% of the time.
Yes, Blockbuster is in financial dire straits, but their online aspect is booming. Circuit City and Linens N Things both shut down all their brick and mortar store, but continue to operate online.
As for games not available for 3 months, it's likely because they want people to rent them from a b&m location first, then rotate them into the online stock. Not horrible since they want to get more people in their stores, but inconvenient if you want to play the newest games right away. If you have a massive list of new and old games you're looking to rent, start with the old and after playing a handful of those, the new one's will be available.
As soon as Gamefly gets both games I had out, my membership with them is canceled and I'm signing up for Blockbuster. Plus, free BluRay rentals (Netflix charges extra).

Swiftknife
10-30-2010, 07:20 AM
Guess my choice is Gamefly. :)

takuto neko
10-30-2010, 07:29 AM
Never heard of 'Gamefly' so Id stick with 'Blockbuster' :D
I know who Gamefly is but we don't have them in Australia...So for me I can only go with Blockbuster. I wish we had Gamefly though..I know we've got a few like it buut it's expensive to sub to.:(

BlamelessSoul
10-30-2010, 07:16 PM
Gamefly for sure. I just had blockbuster and cancelled it in less that a month. they just now have games that came out months ago. I know gamefly costs more but i has a much bigger selection and game availability

sleepydumbdude
10-30-2010, 07:56 PM
Gamefly gives you coupons off used games every once in awhile so I'd go with that.

rsr1264782
10-30-2010, 10:08 PM
I don't have any blockbusters here. All of them left the northern Michigan area. But I love Family Video. I thought it was better than Blockbuster especially the amount I rent.

WeemanNewYork
10-30-2010, 10:18 PM
Gamefly got all games that you want. Blockbuster don't got that much game.

tehapoc
10-30-2010, 10:49 PM
why would you mention redbox? it's only good for movies. No way would i pay 2 dollars a day for a game.

My rental store was better than that lmao 2 dollars for 1 game for 7 days, now that was a good deal. But they jacked their price up to $4.10 or something.

Doesn't sound too bad. Probably smarter than going and purchasing a new game itself. Plus, to me, it seems more convenient and more cost effective than waiting for games to be sent cross-country through the mail.

muzykalscorpio
10-30-2010, 11:57 PM

$4.10 is jacking up the price?

My goodness - then the Blockbusters around here truly did suck.

Not even in the last decade were rentals ever that cheap, not even before they were for a week (I'm talking two day, three day, five day rental time periods ; I don't even know if they do that anymore).

Anyway, I've had similar thoughts in my head, and while I decided not to go with any service at all, GameFly won out for my personal vote.

Just, as I said, I opted not to do anything at all.

Wolverine674
10-31-2010, 01:27 AM
Gamefly got all games that you want. Blockbuster don't got that much game.

True, Gamefly does have a larger selection, but I got tired of spending $24/month for 2 games and having the turn around time until my next game take up to a week. It forced me to rush through games when I'd rather take my time with them. I had one game for two months (Alone in the Dark: mostly because I dreaded having to finish it) and even if I half the monthly cost since I always had a second game, it still cost me $24 to play it. Blockbuster would have been $14 for the same time.

If availability and selection is more important than price and the time to get your next rental, then go Gamefly. I just got tired of spending so much money and having half the month wasted while my game was in the mail.

TangoDown
10-31-2010, 01:48 AM
The best thing I can say is to try them both out and see how they stack up to what you want. They both should have trials that you can use and that should give you a way to see what fits for your needs. That would be the way I would go if I was curious.........

ninjacupcake83
11-04-2010, 08:40 AM
Well to be honest and in my honest opinion I think that if you are in the UK then you should give boomerang rentals a go! These guys offer a service way better than blockbuster, love film, game tart and gamefly put together.I have been using them for a couple months now and so have my work colleagues and have had no issue whatsoever. Plus if you like a game that you are renting you can purchase it at a massively reduced rate - for example I purchased Final Fantasy 13 for 9.71 - WOW!

Fast dispatch, Free delivery and great service that is fully customisable by yourself. Check them out!

On another note I am an IT Technician and do not work or have I worked for this company! I am just a registered gamer who beleives in getting the companies who try hard to keep customers happy the support and recognition they deserve.

Just my 2 pennies ay? :P

Kizyrix
11-04-2010, 10:11 AM
I have been using Gamefly on and off for a couple years and every once in a while they have some great deals on games, just a couple days ago you could buy Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands new for $20 from them. Also every 3 months you get $5 to use with them to buy a game. Unfortunately they $5 credit expires before you get the next one so you can't use multiple.