View Full Version : Tips To Make Road Challenges More Flexible

10-31-2010, 11:40 AM
If you're like me (and if you're here, you probably are), you'll be trying to unlock as many achievements as possible while playing through the Road Challenges.

Normally this is a pain, because you either play the pre-made setlist, pick a random setlist or a themed custom setlist, limiting your choices. Here are a couple of tricks to use:

(I'm guessing most people are aware of this one) You can pick a random setlist, look at the songs that were picked (they slowly cycle at the top of the screen), and back out and select it again if you didn't like the choices. Repeat as many times as needed until you like the selections.
If one of your options is a "Custom _____ Setlist", just choose that. The song list will come up with the appropriate filter already applied (80's songs, Long songs, etc.). The trick, however, is that the filter that has been applied is not locked into place. Just go into the song list customization filters and remove whatever filter has been applied by the game. Then you're free to add your own filters of different types if you like, and pick any song that you want. No matter what you pick, the setlist still counts towards your progress on the Road Challenge just like normal, and you have total flexibility.

I realize this may be obvious to some, but I was completely unaware of #2 until now, so I figured this may be of help to others.

Noisy Neighbour
10-31-2010, 02:19 PM
Cheers dude, totally didnt realise you could change filter and is probably something id never have even tried.

10-31-2010, 11:38 PM

Also, is it really necessary to cheat the game like that? Why can't you just play the setlist that they intended you to play? Picking Charlene for an easy FC and Spades when you can is one thing, but all the time is just cheap...

Oops, didn't realize it had already been posted. I didn't see it in the FAQ or Achievement Guide, so I figured I'd share it.

Also, I definitely don't look at this as "cheating the game". First, it would have been easy for Harmonix to trigger an error message when you try to remove the filter, and I'm not totally convinced they were not aware of this eventuality. Second, it was not my intention to encourage anyone to take the easy way out as you described, it was simply meant to give people an option.

For instance, if I'm going for the Bass Apprentice achievement but have already played the songs listed on the built-in setlist and all of the on-disc 60's songs, I'd like the ability to choose some other on-disc songs so I can make more progress towards the achievement while advancing within the Road Challenges. At best, I agree with you that someone could use this to take the easy way out, and I share your disdain and pity towards someone who would repeatedly choose painfully easy songs to attain the Road Challenge goals.

11-01-2010, 06:33 AM
Or you could just pick the custom setlist every time and pick easy songs. Or even better just play with hard ones in there and be better at the game.