PDA

View Full Version : ION Drum Kit Questions

Coadster1
10-31-2010, 02:39 PM
-First off, I know there probably have been mutilple threads on this topic, so dont bitch at me.

I'm thinking about getting an ION drum kit, but I would first like some reviews and I have a few questions to ask. They might be obvious questions, I just want to make sure.

1. Does it allow you to play Pro Mode on Rock Band 3?

2. Does it work for Guitar Hero games, or is it only Rock Band?

3. Is it worth the money? Is it a lot better than the regular drums?

Thanks

AirPortugal
10-31-2010, 02:55 PM
-First off, I know there probably have been mutilple threads on this topic, so dont bitch at me.

I'm thinking about getting an ION drum kit, but I would first like some reviews and I have a few questions to ask. They might be obvious questions, I just want to make sure.

Thanks

I've had the ION kit for a long time now and It's pretty awesome, but not perfect.

1. Yes it allows you to play in Pro Mode but the Premium Set only comes with 2 cymbals so at first you'd have to set it to only use 2 of your choice until you buy a third cymbal (which is pretty pricey).

2. Yes, It works in both Rock Band and Guitar Hero - cymbals, drums, everything.

3. It's better than the regular Rock Band drums for sure but I do have some gripes about it. For instance the cymbals get looser as you play a song so sometimes I have to wait for a drum fill to tighten the top of the cymbal and then keep going. The cymbals also make a loud annoying noise. Other than that you have velocity sensitive pads that are literally indestructible so there's no worries of breaking the set and needing to buy a new one.

That being said, if you were to just buy the brain of the ION set (around $80 to buy by itself) you can actually plug an E-drum kit into it which is insanely better and well worth the extra money if you also want to learn how to play real drums (unless you already do?).

Let me know if you have any other questions.

twitchinmonkey
10-31-2010, 02:55 PM

Thanks

I. Yes, it comes with 2 cymbals and you can get a third cymbal expansion.

2. Yes, although it took me a little while to figure out how to activate Star Power on GH games (hit blue & yellow pads/cymbals at the same time)

3. Absolutely much better than the regular drums, as to whether it's worth the money, that depends on you. It is big and takes up a lot more space than the regular drums, so there is that to consider. Also, it's wired, so you do have to plug it into a USB port on your Xbox.

Coadster1
10-31-2010, 03:02 PM
I've had the ION kit for a long time now and It's pretty awesome, but not perfect.

1. Yes it allows you to play in Pro Mode but the Premium Set only comes with 2 cymbals so at first you'd have to set it to only use 2 of your choice until you buy a third cymbal (which is pretty pricey).

2. Yes, It works in both Rock Band and Guitar Hero - cymbals, drums, everything.

3. It's better than the regular Rock Band drums for sure but I do have some gripes about it. For instance the cymbals get looser as you play a song so sometimes I have to wait for a drum fill to tighten the top of the cymbal and then keep going. The cymbals also make a loud annoying noise. Other than that you have velocity sensitive pads that are literally indestructible so there's no worries of breaking the set and needing to buy a new one.

That being said, if you were to just buy the brain of the ION set (around $80 to buy by itself) you can actually plug an E-drum kit into it which is insanely better and well worth the extra money if you also want to learn how to play real drums (unless you already do?).

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Are you saying I can plug in my electric drum set??? :eek:

Monstor
10-31-2010, 03:09 PM
Are you saying I can plug in my electric drum set??? :eek:

Well, you can take the Ion Brain and plug the cords out of your drum module then plug them in accordingly. But to use your Electric in its full, you need a WT or WoR kit and a MIDI cable.

Coadster1
10-31-2010, 03:17 PM
Okay, well I have a World Tour set, that's what I've been using for Rock Band, so I guess now, I just need a MIDI cable...?

D4B0MB1N4T10N
10-31-2010, 03:46 PM
I. Yes, it comes with 2 cymbals and you can get a third cymbal expansion.

2. Yes, although it took me a little while to figure out how to activate Star Power on GH games (hit blue & yellow pads/cymbals at the same time)

3. Absolutely much better than the regular drums, as to whether it's worth the money, that depends on you. It is big and takes up a lot more space than the regular drums, so there is that to consider. Also, it's wired, so you do have to plug it into a USB port on your Xbox.

my friend has the kit also. another nice thing is that you can fully adjust all the pads, to their angles, their spacing, height, etc.

alot easier to use and more natural feeling that way.

Coadster1
10-31-2010, 04:16 PM
Does anyone know if you can use pro mode if you are using an electric drumset?

TwistedFate
10-31-2010, 04:57 PM
Before you start buying things. You don't need to buy an Ion brain or the GH kit. Wait a few weeks and you can get the MIDI box for RB that allows you to use your real electric kit for about $40. Yes eKits play in Pro Mode, that's the whole reason behind allowing us to use them.

BadAssNipples
10-31-2010, 05:04 PM
Before you start buying things. You don't need to buy an Ion brain or the GH kit. Wait a few weeks and you can get the MIDI box for RB that allows you to use your real electric kit for about $40. Yes eKits play in Pro Mode, that's the whole reason behind allowing us to use them.

I agree. I use the ion and if I didn't have it already I would definitely use the midi adapter with a "real" electric set, but that's not to say the ion isn't great, it is.

Also, if you play keyboard you can use a midi keyboard as well.

Coadster1
10-31-2010, 05:09 PM
Well, I already have a Guitar Hero kit. So, I think for now, I'll buy a MIDI Cable, so I can use my drum set, like this.

YouTube - [Neztech] Connecting E-Kit to GH/RB 5 Step Guide

The Nerevarine
10-31-2010, 06:56 PM
@ Coadster:

There's a single screw holding the controller part to the drum kit. If you unscrew it, then open the drum rack and carefully unscrew the MIDI port thing from the drum rack, you can then open the controller box and cut a hole for the MIDI port, shove the MIDI cord in there, and then you have this:

http://x-industries.com/midicontroller.jpg

The back is hard plastic. Took me about 20 minutes from breakdown to completion, the hardest part was cutting the hole for the MIDI port.

Spade422
10-31-2010, 08:12 PM

Thanks

1. Yes. This hasn't been said yet, but even if you buy the ION core kit (with no cymbals), you can still play some pro drum songs by plugging each pad with the corresponding cymbal input.

2. Yes, you can play any GH game with it.

3. Depends if you are good at drums. I think its more of a good investment for those who show exceptional expert drums skill, and don't want to be held back by even the slightest overhit problems of the other kits.

NoThru22
11-01-2010, 03:17 AM
The Guitar Hero box won't work for pro drums. You need an Ion brain module or the official Rock Band midi box (coming out later in November) if you want to play pro drums.

NoThru22
11-01-2010, 03:18 AM
1. Yes. This hasn't been said yet, but even if you buy the ION core kit (with no cymbals), you can still play some pro drum songs by plugging each pad with the corresponding cymbal input.
That's a terrible suggestion. Probably less than 1% of all available songs have no tom hits and you can't play pro mode like that. Why would anyone want to play pro mode without the cymbals?

neverendr
11-01-2010, 06:44 AM
I won my Ion kit at a midnight release tournament, by playing expert guitar...sort of silly, but whatever.

I never really enjoyed playing drums on any of the music games, I had a RB1 kit and a world tour kit and found both to feel strange and the lack of any adjustment aside from vertical killed it for me.

My Ions came with the base set with 2 cymbals along with a "Ion Pro Cymbal expansion kit", which added 3 cymbals and the brackets to mount them. I have 4 mounted now, and it works great for me, pro drums are actually a lot of fun compared to the normal gameplay. The main thing I can for the Ions is this - I played mostly medium and I could do some songs I knew well on hard with a bit of difficulty on the toy kits...after I got the Ions set up comfortably, I could play those songs I had difficulty with on hard in the 98-100% range, up from 87-90%, and I can do expert in the low 90s now. They make a huge difference for me, but bear in mind I'm not a drummer irl. I play guitar, piano, bass and a bit of violin, but the skillsets do have a fair bit of overlap, mainly in the timing.

As for cost, that depends on your finacial situation and how much you plan to use the kit. If it's a stretch to afford it, but you plan to play them every day, I'd say go for it. If you have a lot of disposable income and think you'll enjoy playing them now and then, go for it. Keep in mind, they take up roughly the same amount of space as a regular drum kit, depending on how you have them set up, so that could be a concern. You can take them apart, of course, but it takes a bit of time and getting everything back to just how you like it could be difficult.

Dynomie96
11-01-2010, 07:36 PM
if you are still considering getting an ion kit: I would strongly suggest getting the one without cymbals, then buying other cymbals to go with the kit, as I really do not like the stock cymbals.

NoThru22
11-01-2010, 08:12 PM
if you are still considering getting an ion kit: I would strongly suggest getting the one without cymbals, then buying other cymbals to go with the kit, as I really do not like the stock cymbals.
I would strongly suggest the opposite because I had to spend double what the Ion cymbals cost before I found a cymbal that I'd consider to be "better" (the Roland CY5.)

SFAL
11-02-2010, 09:04 PM
Don't forget, the RB3 MIDI interface and controller is reported to only work with RB3. As a resource, the RB forums and scorehero have some ION and electronic drum threads for the older games and various sets.

If you're going to use the GH:WT module as a MIDI interface and controller, the electronic drum brain will probably have to be set to output channel 10 rather than "all" and some of the MIDI code numbers changed. You can change things around with some to have different pads send out the same codes, but some sets can't be changed.

Red 38
Yellow 46
Blue 48
Green 45
Kick 36
Orange 49