PDA

View Full Version : Have achievements have made me a better gamer?

Webb
03-24-2006, 06:17 PM
Not sure about you lot, but before the achievements came out I never completed games on the hardest level but for a few exceptions.

But now the achievements have come around, I have started to play them on the hardest difficulty and started to beat them.

I'm not sure whether it is because I have improved or whether I have an incentive now to play the games...

So cure for laziness or actual improvement... I'm not sure.

Minty
03-24-2006, 06:31 PM
yeah the achievements definately make me play the game for longer....

good for me, bad for the missis :p

AmpleSteak
03-25-2006, 01:47 AM
Yes.

Before i ever picked up an xbox i had a ps2 and a gamecube i would play ssbm with kids around my neighbourhood untill one day a guy i never met before who lived across my street(now my best friend lol) had an xbox i was a sony fanboy and i'm like ew xbox but then we played halo and i couldn't belive how much i liked it. It felt like i just played GameCube for the first time and being blown away by the graphics and gameplay. Then i kept asking my parents for an xbox for x-mas and they got me one with halo 2 so i put my halo 2 disc in my xbox thinking "LOL i'm going to totally pwn these noobs" i only got like 5 kills and i was like WOW i suck. Then i kept playing and playing for like 3 months and then i was so good untill i found about cheating then it totally screwed up everything i got so much worse and i never got back to my old skill. Then after the summer i quit halo and i started getting excitied about the xbox 360. But after nov. 22nd i was getting hyped about x-mas would i get a 360 that was the question "WOULD I GET AN XBOX 360!!?". I had my hopes up untill on x-mas eve i kept asking my dad if i would get a 360 and hes like WTH do you think there so hard to find in stores i think your out of luck... Then x-mas morning we got a new comp and i totally lost all hope but when i got PDZ my dads like hmm you need something to play that on go look in that closet i did and what do i see an xbox 360!!!

I put my pdz in and the graphics were mind blowing then i was playing multiplayer with my friends and i see achievement unlocked i was like WTF??? Then i looked in my gamercard and it said i got 10 kills in team killcount. Then my friend who also got a 360 had KingKong and we played it for a while and i got the pyromaniac achievement i was like "OMFG OMFG 100 points!!!". After that i was hooked and i actually beat COD2 on veteren i would have never done that unless it was for achievements. I've gotten like 50 times better than i was before the 360 i love the 360 :D.

cotteneyekeith
03-25-2006, 01:03 PM
Yes.

Before i ever picked up an xbox i had a ps2 and a gamecube i would play ssbm with kids around my neighbourhood untill one day a guy i never met before who lived across my street(now my best friend lol) had an xbox i was a sony fanboy and i'm like ew xbox but then we played halo and i couldn't belive how much i liked it. It felt like i just played GameCube for the first time and being blown away by the graphics and gameplay. Then i kept asking my parents for an xbox for x-mas and they got me one with halo 2 so i put my halo 2 disc in my xbox thinking "LOL i'm going to totally pwn these noobs" i only got like 5 kills and i was like WOW i suck. Then i kept playing and playing for like 3 months and then i was so good untill i found about cheating then it totally screwed up everything i got so much worse and i never got back to my old skill. Then after the summer i quit halo and i started getting excitied about the xbox 360. But after nov. 22nd i was getting hyped about x-mas would i get a 360 that was the question "WOULD I GET AN XBOX 360!!?". I had my hopes up untill on x-mas eve i kept asking my dad if i would get a 360 and hes like WTH do you think there so hard to find in stores i think your out of luck... Then x-mas morning we got a new comp and i totally lost all hope but when i got PDZ my dads like hmm you need something to play that on go look in that closet i did and what do i see an xbox 360!!!

I put my pdz in and the graphics were mind blowing then i was playing multiplayer with my friends and i see achievement unlocked i was like WTF??? Then i looked in my gamercard and it said i got 10 kills in team killcount. Then my friend who also got a 360 had KingKong and we played it for a while and i got the pyromaniac achievement i was like "OMFG OMFG 100 points!!!". After that i was hooked and i actually beat COD2 on veteren i would have never done that unless it was for achievements. I've gotten like 50 times better than i was before the 360 i love the 360 :D. is this the life story of you and the xbox360

Krazie
03-25-2006, 02:28 PM
is this the life story of you and the xbox360

Pretty touching, wasnt it?

RoughOutline
03-25-2006, 04:35 PM
I think the achievements have made a slightly better gamer. I've tried modes that I wouldn't normally play and I've completed some games more than once.

Zo63
03-25-2006, 05:03 PM
Don't know about you guys, but me and my boy DrSpotXXX, we've been beatin the hell out of games for years, all the way back to my nintendo, i had the celico vision but was to young to see the glory of beating video games. I've spent countless hours beating games way before the 360 came out. Gotta say its definatly cool that we get recognition for beating games and doing certain things. But i Like the achievements that i get from normally playing through games. Like, kong, nfs,cod2, and others.

Minty
03-25-2006, 05:13 PM
i dont like the fact that its encouraged people to cheat.

but i like the fact that its made be try games that i wouldnt normally play- ie the bag of hsit that is kong

Helacool360
03-25-2006, 05:45 PM
I think the achievements have made a slightly better gamer. I've tried modes that I wouldn't normally play and I've completed some games more than once.

same here:woop:

porker con
03-25-2006, 06:28 PM
its the achivements that make u play that

TimidKillah
03-26-2006, 12:28 AM
Don't know if its made me better per se, but its definitely exposing to things I probably wouldn't play. I'm actually tapped into gamefly (which I probably would never have done) and I'm trying sports games (which I have no love for).

SpideR NY
03-26-2006, 04:39 AM
I think the Achievements have made me a lesser gamer. Before I would play the same game for weeks or months to perfect it and whoop on heads online. Now I play a new game ever couple of days and dont perfect any of them. And I'll do cheap things like gllitch for the SS in DoA or just sim seasons on games I dont even like for points (madden and Live). However games like ES:IV and FN:r3 have pulled me out of my funk. Now I am playing the same games all the time and care less about the points and more about getting better / having fun with the games.

Messiadbunny
03-27-2006, 05:26 PM
The only thing I think it's actually effected for me, is playing games that I don't really enjoy playing.. just for the gamer points. I guess it's a pretty good marketing strategy for Microsoft though.

Minty
03-27-2006, 05:31 PM
I think the Achievements have made me a lesser gamer. Before I would play the same game for weeks or months to perfect it and whoop on heads online. Now I play a new game ever couple of days and dont perfect any of them. And I'll do cheap things like gllitch for the SS in DoA or just sim seasons on games I dont even like for points (madden and Live). However games like ES:IV and FN:r3 have pulled me out of my funk. Now I am playing the same games all the time and care less about the points and more about getting better / having fun with the games.

i started off like this, and then ended up with a few games like DOA and Kong- tempted to send them back with only 30 and 100 points respectavly. to me now, id rather play Tiger. and then top spin when that comes out

AmpleSteak
03-28-2006, 02:20 AM
is this the life story of you and the xbox360 Yes lol my consle gaming life i have to start my a story on my PC gaming life.

KMB 316
03-28-2006, 02:30 AM
Yes.

I put my pdz in and the graphics were mind blowing then i was playing multiplayer with my friends and i see achievement unlocked i was like WTF??? Then i looked in my gamercard and it said i got 10 kills in team killcount. Then my friend who also got a 360 had KingKong and we played it for a while and i got the pyromaniac achievement i was like "OMFG OMFG 100 points!!!". After that i was hooked and i actually beat COD2 on veteren i would have never done that unless it was for achievements. I've gotten like 50 times better than i was before the 360 i love the 360 :D.

man i shed a few tears around that closet part.

KMB 316
03-28-2006, 02:37 AM
yeah they made me a better gamer.

when i was waiting patiently for my box around decemeber 23rd i found a site called xbox360achievements.queers(woops .com) and i was like WTF are these achevements and i read all this stuf and i was like OMG WHEEEEEEEEEE! and i was like OMG!! more gameplay value!! and i was like OMG!! some are impossible. then on christmas eve i was like OMG WHEEEEEEE! a few hours for my 360 to come, and on christmas i was like OMG! JESUS JUICE! and i fell asleep till 10:30! and i woke up and was like OMG ITS CHRISTMAS! WHEEEEEEEEEEE! and i went downstairs and noone was hear(my brother and sis dont live at my house) so i was like OMG NO ONES HERE!!! and i drove to my sisters and i slid on some ice(stupid xplorer) and was like OMG WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE! then i went to my sisters and let her dogs out with her! and i was like OMG WHEEEEEEE their so fun to play with, and then i went home and my brother arived when i did and I was like OMG WHEEEEEEEEE! and i opened my presents and got a 360/cod2/NFS:MW/xtra controller/play n charge kit/few clothes/cologne/and a $30 best buy gift card, so i was like OMG WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! and later i ran some interet cable and hooked up 360 and popped in NFSMW and was like racing and got an achievemetn and i was like OMG WHEEEEEEEEE! then later i got more and was like WOOOOOOOT! then finally i reached 1000 gamerscore and was more like OMG WHEEEEEEEEEEEE! then i got frustratred after playing cod2 on veteran i quit! and then bought doa4 and qwas like OMG THSI GAME SUCKS< so i sold it on ebay and bought PDZ and was like wow this is horrible first person! and then i played Multiplayer and was like OMG FUN! then i played bots and cheated for acheivements and got up to like alot of the PDZ acheivemetns and was like OMG WHEEEEEEEEEEE! then i got gamefly and got like 4k more gamescore from that and i was like OMG IM SWEEET! then i found st the king and was like wow im not sweet, then i came to this site and was like OMG! better than .com site and was like sweet then i became a moderator and was like OMG WHEEEEEEEE! then later i got bored with my games so i traded in PDZ and cod2 for oblivion and was playing and was like OMG WHEEEEEEEEE! then i decided to write this msg with alot of OMG!'s in it

-kyle

Helacool360
03-28-2006, 02:48 AM
was that supposed to make fun of Amples long post┬┐?┬┐:)

scoobydiesel
03-28-2006, 08:55 AM
Simple answer: No

But you play a game more or games you wouldnt, well for some people.

some jsut dont care.

AmpleSteak
03-28-2006, 08:47 PM
yeah they made me a better gamer.

when i was waiting patiently for my box around decemeber 23rd i found a site called xbox360achievements.queers(woops .com) and i was like WTF are these achevements and i read all this stuf and i was like OMG WHEEEEEEEEEE! and i was like OMG!! more gameplay value!! and i was like OMG!! some are impossible. then on christmas eve i was like OMG WHEEEEEEE! a few hours for my 360 to come, and on christmas i was like OMG! JESUS JUICE! and i fell asleep till 10:30! and i woke up and was like OMG ITS CHRISTMAS! WHEEEEEEEEEEE! and i went downstairs and noone was hear(my brother and sis dont live at my house) so i was like OMG NO ONES HERE!!! and i drove to my sisters and i slid on some ice(stupid xplorer) and was like OMG WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE! then i went to my sisters and let her dogs out with her! and i was like OMG WHEEEEEEE their so fun to play with, and then i went home and my brother arived when i did and I was like OMG WHEEEEEEEEE! and i opened my presents and got a 360/cod2/NFS:MW/xtra controller/play n charge kit/few clothes/cologne/and a $30 best buy gift card, so i was like OMG WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! and later i ran some interet cable and hooked up 360 and popped in NFSMW and was like racing and got an achievemetn and i was like OMG WHEEEEEEEEE! then later i got more and was like WOOOOOOOT! then finally i reached 1000 gamerscore and was more like OMG WHEEEEEEEEEEEE! then i got frustratred after playing cod2 on veteran i quit! and then bought doa4 and qwas like OMG THSI GAME SUCKS< so i sold it on ebay and bought PDZ and was like wow this is horrible first person! and then i played Multiplayer and was like OMG FUN! then i played bots and cheated for acheivements and got up to like alot of the PDZ acheivemetns and was like OMG WHEEEEEEEEEEE! then i got gamefly and got like 4k more gamescore from that and i was like OMG IM SWEEET! then i found st the king and was like wow im not sweet, then i came to this site and was like OMG! better than .com site and was like sweet then i became a moderator and was like OMG WHEEEEEEEE! then later i got bored with my games so i traded in PDZ and cod2 for oblivion and was playing and was like OMG WHEEEEEEEEE! then i decided to write this msg with alot of OMG!'s in it

-kyle Lol my post wasn't that bad it didn't have any WHEEEs in it untill now WHEEE!!!

KMB 316
03-28-2006, 09:00 PM
Lol my post wasn't that bad it didn't have any WHEEEs in it untill now WHEEE!!!

it wasnt making fun of your post i just wanted to tell my story. in long form.

Webb
03-28-2006, 09:24 PM
KMB, ya 360 story made me chuckle. All those OMG and WHHHEEEEEEE's lol:D

KMB 316
03-28-2006, 10:13 PM
KMB, ya 360 story made me chuckle. All those OMG and WHHHEEEEEEE's lol:D

have youever seen that squirel thing?

KMB 316
03-28-2006, 10:17 PM
http://funnyjunk.com/pages/squirrel.htm

Helacool360
03-28-2006, 10:42 PM
http://funnyjunk.com/pages/squirrel.htm

wow that was special.....now i kno where u got it from;)

Webb
03-29-2006, 01:29 AM
I didn't know but do now, lol, puts the story in perspective now, lol :D

KillerBEA
11-12-2009, 02:47 AM
yes cause they push me to do things i never thought i could do

final1980
11-12-2009, 03:09 AM
Achievements do 2 things for me push me farther than I thought I could go and teach me more patience than I originally had. (the second depends on the game.)

dillon
11-12-2009, 03:39 AM
yes cause they push me to do things i never thought i could do

You do relise you brought to life a 42 month thread right.

xtye
11-12-2009, 05:02 AM
Hard achievements are no where near a cure for laziness....its a reason to sit and be that much more lazy.

Moblisan
11-12-2009, 05:07 AM
lolcow! that last poster.

Well i have always enjoyed playing games on the hardest difficulty and have always enjoyed going after the 100% completion even when i didn't have achievements to unlock.

But some achievements are completly random and add a whole new level to alot of games for 100%. now not only do i gotta find all the little bits and ends. But i have to complete specific unrelated tasks in alot of games. Which i love and hate, all adding to a great gaming experience!

Shaftiel
11-12-2009, 05:36 AM
Must.... feed.... zombie.... thread....

Worse.

I was always a completionist... got all the endings on Crono Trigger (a looong time ago), found all the packages in GTA3 (w/out a guide), finished Devil May Cry on Dante Must Die! mode (still my proudest achievement), etc. etc. But now I also finish all sorts of crap games that are neither interesting nor challenging... I can't count how many hours I've wasted collecting orbs/packages/etc, but it's a hell of a lot.

Moblisan
11-12-2009, 05:39 AM
Must.... feed.... zombie.... thread....

Worse.

I was always a completionist... got all the endings on Crono Trigger (a looong time ago), found all the packages in GTA3 (w/out a guide), finished Devil May Cry on Dante Must Die! mode (still my proudest achievement), etc. etc. But now I also finish all sorts of crap games that are neither interesting nor challenging... I can't count how many hours I've wasted collecting orbs/packages/etc, but it's a hell of a lot.

Agreed! Is still trying to find dumb ole' kittens in superman returns.:chair