PDA

View Full Version : A Cautionary Tale for Those Looking to Buy the Cymbals for Their Drums

StumpyFlesh
11-03-2010, 02:33 AM
So, I've been playing the drums on rock band for quite some time, most of that time spent playing on expert. I play drums in real life so the standard rock band drum set up becomes rather mundane after a while. I bought the dual cymbal pack for the rock band 2 kit, but was rather disappointed. I ended up only using one of them for the crash.
When RB3 was released, I decided to invest in the "new and improved" pack of three cymbals. I figured that since Harmonix trusted Mad Catz to make all of their new instruments for RB3, I could trust the product (Mad Catz has always made shoddy accessories). Well, lo and behold, I was so very wrong. One of the cymbals does not work at all. Another hardly responds, and when it does, it registers as hitting the note late. I figured maybe the ports where the cymbals plugged in were shot, so I used the only working cymbal to test them. All of them worked fine. So I ended up hooking up my old rock band 2 cymbals to the other slots, and they actually work better than the 1 working cymbal that I got today.
Moral of the story: Don't waste 40 dollars on Mad Catz terrible products.

TwistedFate
11-03-2010, 03:13 AM
2 problems with that.

1) I have a perfect set of RB3 cymbals. One bad set does not make them all terrible.
2) Those "better" RB2 cymbals you have are a "shoddy" MadCatz product.

Cephiros
11-03-2010, 03:48 AM
Overall, I am okay with my purchase. Out of the box, they were quite sucky. Registered double hits on the 2 of the cymbals. More often on the crash cymbal. I installed the penny mod on all of them. After working it out I've gotten to work and have much less combo breaking.

StumpyFlesh
11-03-2010, 03:53 AM
2 problems with that.

1) I have a perfect set of RB3 cymbals. One bad set does not make them all terrible.
2) Those "better" RB2 cymbals you have are a "shoddy" MadCatz product.

Fair enough. I am merely venting.

TwistedFate
11-03-2010, 05:31 AM
Fair enough. I am merely venting.

I can totally understand that. I would be pissed if mine didn't work.

StumpyFlesh
11-03-2010, 05:57 AM
I can totally understand that. I would be pissed if mine didn't work.

I should hope so hahaha. 40 bucks for 1 working cymbal? Bogus. I'm gonna contact them and see if I can't get a replacement.

x352x pH
11-03-2010, 12:48 PM
So, I've been playing the drums on rock band for quite some time, most of that time spent playing on expert. I play drums in real life so the standard rock band drum set up becomes rather mundane after a while. I bought the dual cymbal pack for the rock band 2 kit, but was rather disappointed. I ended up only using one of them for the crash.
When RB3 was released, I decided to invest in the "new and improved" pack of three cymbals. I figured that since Harmonix trusted Mad Catz to make all of their new instruments for RB3, I could trust the product (Mad Catz has always made shoddy accessories). Well, lo and behold, I was so very wrong. One of the cymbals does not work at all. Another hardly responds, and when it does, it registers as hitting the note late. I figured maybe the ports where the cymbals plugged in were shot, so I used the only working cymbal to test them. All of them worked fine. So I ended up hooking up my old rock band 2 cymbals to the other slots, and they actually work better than the 1 working cymbal that I got today.
Moral of the story: Don't waste 40 dollars on Mad Catz terrible products.

My cymbals work fine, the only problem I had is that one of the cymbals looks like it was put together backwards because normally they tilt towards you and the the cord and assembly on the bottom of the cymbal points away from you. So on one of my cymbals, the cord dangles from the front instead of off the back (or maybe I put it together wrong somehow? Although I'm not sure how I could since when I flipped it the other way it tilted away from me). Not a big deal cause you can always zip tie the cords and everything just weird. Anyone else encounter this?

TwistedFate
11-03-2010, 01:30 PM
My cymbals work fine, the only problem I had is that one of the cymbals looks like it was put together backwards because normally they tilt towards you and the the cord and assembly on the bottom of the cymbal points away from you. So on one of my cymbals, the cord dangles from the front instead of off the back (or maybe I put it together wrong somehow? Although I'm not sure how I could since when I flipped it the other way it tilted away from me). Not a big deal cause you can always zip tie the cords and everything just weird. Anyone else encounter this?

That's okay, two of mine are on the front and one is on the back. Between the two of us, we average to 2 match sets.

/me wonders why they are different to begin with.

x352x pH
11-03-2010, 01:41 PM
That's okay, two of mine are on the front and one is on the back. Between the two of us, we average to 2 match sets.

/me wonders why they are different to begin with.

Wtf, thats so strange. Is there some underlying purpose we're missing? Cause I could see 1 backwards cymbal every so often but 2 in one set?

TwistedFate
11-03-2010, 02:54 PM
Wtf, thats so strange. Is there some underlying purpose we're missing? Cause I could see 1 backwards cymbal every so often but 2 in one set?

I have a totally made up theory. It's based on no facts at all, but it sounds good. ;) Maybe the insert that tilts the cymbal down can be put in 2 different ways, forward or backward, and when they are building them they just aren't careful about how they get put in.

I'm not in front of my cymbals to look to see if that is even possible, but I'll check when I get home.

Another theory is maybe they changed the design midway through the initial production runs and just boxed them up mixed all together.

Those folks with issues, check to see if your wonky cymbals are different than your good cymbals. Maybe that's the problems your having.

x352x pH
11-03-2010, 03:00 PM
I have a totally made up theory. It's based on no facts at all, but it sounds good. ;) Maybe the insert that tilts the cymbal down can be put in 2 different ways, forward or backward, and when they are building them they just aren't careful about how they get put in.

I'm not in front of my cymbals to look to see if that is even possible, but I'll check when I get home.

Another theory is maybe they changed the design midway through the initial production runs and just boxed them up mixed all together.

Those folks with issues, check to see if your wonky cymbals are different than your good cymbals. Maybe that's the problems your having.

Your first theory sounds very likely. In the past I've always found madcatz accessories to be second-rate so I still don't know why Harmonix chose them to do all their peripherals. *shrug* not a huge deal just kind of strange

TwistedFate
11-03-2010, 04:32 PM
Your first theory sounds very likely. In the past I've always found madcatz accessories to be second-rate so I still don't know why Harmonix chose them to do all their peripherals. *shrug* not a huge deal just kind of strange

Well, I think I read somewhere that MadCatz is trying to improve their game and bring out better stuff.

GILLHUHN
11-04-2010, 01:24 AM
Just purchased a pair of pro cymbals hope there good my RB2 cymbals work fine for everything except songs like crazy train and run to the hills.

BarnesyJr48
11-04-2010, 03:49 PM
Well, I had to import my Cymbals from the States, since MadCatz didn't consider the UK and Europe to be worth selling them to. There is a good business reason behind it I guess, but I was a bit miffed.
Anyway, mine turned up yesterday, and I'm thanking my lucky stars because they all work, and pretty well too. I had some problems to begin with, but I think that was me not having the game calibrated, and nothing to do with the actual physical product.

StumpyFlesh
11-04-2010, 10:33 PM
Turns out my 1 "working" cymbal double hits if I play it with anymore than a light tap...I've never been so happy! /sarcasm

GILLHUHN
11-05-2010, 08:09 PM
Just got my pro cymbals yesterday overall i liked the RB2 design better but the RB3 cymbals do work better overall. 2 of them are perfect for me but the damn green cymbal double hits if you hit it to hard. For the record the reason i prefer the RB2 design is with RB3 the cymbals it just feels like drum pads they don't feel like cymbals as much as they used to.

Lucent Beam
11-05-2010, 09:50 PM
My yellow cymbal is broken on my RB3 cymbals.

It makes me go completely crazy. Honestly, I have a hard time having "fun" when I know can't prevent it from overhitting.

I obviously need to return them or get them repaired.

MachineAres
11-06-2010, 02:51 AM
Mine all work fine, though the first set I bought, one of the cymbals didn't respond right, but the guy at GameStop let me take back JUST the broken cymbal to replace it with a new one instead of disassembling the whole kit. Now it works like a charm.