PDA

View Full Version : Dance Central is Amazing!

FunkSoulStrange
11-03-2010, 06:42 AM
I got to try it out for about an hour tonight and I am impressed. After seeing the videos a couple months back I reserved a Kinect and DC. A short play session convinced me I did the right thing. I have played just about every DDR game out there except for Hanna, High School Musical and the Disney one but after trying DC I am pretty sure I'll never play another DDR game again. I also think its going to take forever to master this game as the Kinect is really responsive and you really can't cheat the camera. Interestingly enough, the DDR people are releasing a dance game as well, I think it comes out this month, but from the vids it does not look nearly as cool as DC.

I also got to try Fighters Uncaged a couple of the games bundled with the system and I very impressed with the Kinect overall. It really is something new and different and I think I'll be finding any reason I can to play it more often. I have the Move as well, and while it bests the Wii in every way but Nintendo characters, it does not capture your body like Kinect.

I'm sure Kinect will be the hard to find item this holiday season and over priced on Ebay as well so get out and get your Kinect if you can on Thursday before they sell out. I'm actually taking a vacation day just so I can go home and play all day.

Mr Wafu
11-03-2010, 08:37 AM
The game from the DDR guys is Dance Masters (Dance Evolution in Japan/Europe), I've got both preordered so I can get the best of both worlds... :p

Seven ICARUS
11-03-2010, 11:00 PM
I never thought I would ever type this but Kinect is really rather awesome. I hooked it up earlier this evening and I've been playing Dance Central for an hour or so now, both solo and with my gf. I'm very impressed that the sensor indeed tracks your body 1:1. It's hard to put down in text, you really have to try it to "get" it but it is a damn impressive piece of hardware.

Dance Central is a fun game, but hard. Getting good at this game is a bit like getting good at Street Fighter IV: there are no cheats of short cuts. Practice, practice and more practice. Your progress depends entirely on your sense of rhythm (damn did it take me a long time to realize that the word "rhythm" has two F:s in it!) and coordination. Even on easy this game is no cakewalk. At least for me it's not =)

I really wish that there was an option to disable the freestyle dance mode that comes up during solo and battle mode. Some players (the gf in my case) will not like having video of their dancing captured and displayed. It's a bit like hearing your own voice I guess. Not everyone likes it.

Ok, it's back to Lady Gaga one more time before hitting bed. Or Starcraft 2. Whichever feels better hitting after Lady Gaga.

Mr Wafu
11-03-2010, 11:52 PM
You can't turn off the freestyle thing? Bummer... yeah, I'm one of those "don't like the sound of their own voice" people too :p

Glad to hear it's fun though.

Oh yeah, can you pick/customise your dancer, backup dancers, the level etc?

Seven ICARUS
11-04-2010, 07:59 AM
You can't turn off the freestyle thing? Bummer... yeah, I'm one of those "don't like the sound of their own voice" people too :p

Glad to hear it's fun though.

Oh yeah, can you pick/customise your dancer, backup dancers, the level etc?

Well, you can pick your dancer from a line up of about 8-12 different dancers (not sure about the number, I just took a quick glance at the line up). You unlock them as you unlock new songs and levels (called venues, like in Guitar Hero). You can also pick a venue from any you have unlocked so far. I believe backup dancers change with your main dancer, but I'm not 100% sure.

From what I've seen there is no possibility to customize your own dancer. Customization seems to be one of the weaker aspects of the game unfortunately.

Mr Wafu
11-04-2010, 08:10 AM
ah, thanks. I suppose they needed to spend their time making sure the thing worked right as a launch title. If/when they make a sequel they'll already have the core gameplay sorted out so we'll probably see a lot more fluff like customisation, 'campaign' etc.

But in the mean time, have to wait another 14 days for it to be released in Australia :(

FunkSoulStrange
11-04-2010, 03:18 PM
LOL to everyone that does not like to see themselves! Me too, but its not as bad as Get Fit with Mel B on the PS Move. The whole time you work out you see a full body shot of what you are doing and the camera does strange things so its 100 times worse than being in an exercise class and seeing yourself in the mirror! I'm very much looking forward to less Mel B and more Dance Central for weight loss purposes!

Pigmartyr
11-04-2010, 05:29 PM
Agreed. I just got done playing it for the first time and I'm impressed. Both Kinect adventures and this are really impressive displays and I think much more impressive than the move launch.

Finally we get a launch with a substantial game rather than a tech demo/proof of concept. This feels like what mario 64 felt like with the N64 launch.

lucazzo
11-04-2010, 09:27 PM
Dance Central is solid. I'm really impressed by the 1:1 tracking, although I can't say I'm too happy about the amount of furniture I've had to move.

The game's not easy, though. Even on easy mode. The moves themselves are easy, but as soon as you miss a step you risk losing rhythm and screwing up points majorly.

Hell, even my non-gamer roommate has agreed to have a dance party at one point.

o D M C o
11-05-2010, 12:11 AM
I seriously CANNOT dance, but this looks way too much fun to pass up. Provided I dont catch a glimpse of myself performing in a reflection off the tv and die of embarrasement, I think I might quite enjoy it.

lucazzo
11-05-2010, 02:03 AM
I seriously CANNOT dance, but this looks way too much fun to pass up. Provided I dont catch a glimpse of myself performing in a reflection off the tv and die of embarrasement, I think I might quite enjoy it.

Could be worse. What happened to me was realizing 4 neighbors in the building across staring my way.

FunkSoulStrange
11-05-2010, 03:47 AM
My butthole coworker has a side view of me dancing today at the store.... I'm gonna have to break into his house tonight and delete the evidence!

FunkSoulStrange
11-05-2010, 04:41 AM
Its not Dance Central related, but has anyone tried the video chat? VERY COOL! Thank you Microsoft for giving me another reason I don't need to leave the house!

Theratis
11-06-2010, 11:33 PM
It seems cool but 200 euros just so I can dance is kinda overkill :(

dchispirtle
11-07-2010, 02:44 AM
I have to agree that this game is incredible. There is nothing like it available for the Kinect at launch. Harmonix has mastered the rhythm genre time and time again. They prove that their expertise goes beyond fake plastic instruments (and real ones too, with RB3).

chanman
11-07-2010, 09:20 AM
I wanna get Kinect and this game! Looks fun!

NO SUPER POWERS
11-12-2010, 04:58 PM
The mrs wanted this game as soon as she seen the video's, i must be honest i wanted it to, everyone loves to break out a dance move now and then.

I watched her do it and she nail'd the moves, gave it a go and dam its hard, but hard in a good way. when i got my 5 stars i knew I DID ALL THAT MYSELF, not just pressing buttons at a right time.

Thats the best thing with kinect, the achievements you get feel more of an accomplishement than most of the others iv'e gotten in the past.

Gonna take a few moves with me to the clubs on sat night.

crazy mikerwave
11-14-2010, 12:12 AM
The mrs wanted this game as soon as she seen the video's, i must be honest i wanted it to, everyone loves to break out a dance move now and then.

I watched her do it and she nail'd the moves, gave it a go and dam its hard, but hard in a good way. when i got my 5 stars i knew I DID ALL THAT MYSELF, not just pressing buttons at a right time.

Thats the best thing with kinect, the achievements you get feel more of an accomplishement than most of the others iv'e gotten in the past.

Gonna take a few moves with me to the clubs on sat night.

yeah your right. i've been on kinect sports and i just completed table tennis on champion difficulty. it took me over 12 times but when i done it, my god it was a great feeling!!.