PDA

View Full Version : Kinect won't properly function for me, and this is why

Ryot Control
11-06-2010, 07:17 PM
It seems to be news in other places so I figure that I may as well share my personal experience.

The Kinect is one pretty interesting piece of gear and when you see the tech specs to it, it's pretty impressive. But the the one thing that prevents me from fully enjoying the Kinect is the fact that it REQUIRES ample space for it to properly "see" you.

My regular gamespace is not a spacious living room and I actually have less than 6 feet from myself and the tv, which is the recommended space for the Kinect to function. I thought that I could cheese it and work it out without the extra space, but it actually degrades the tracking to the point where I can't function, so that didn't work out as planned.

I moved it to the living room, and despite the extra space that I had, it's got quite a bit of clutter in the backdrop from where I stand, and you can say that it's dimly lit. The dark backdrop, paired with the cluttered living room gave the Kinect alot to follow, and made body recognition less than optimal; compared to when I demoed the Kinect in optimal settings of the Microsoft Store, where the play space was brightly lit and with no obstructions to intrude the tracking.

So I can say I gave this piece of equipment a fair shake, but living arrangements can determine how much you enjoy this particular piece of gear.

k1ng Brownie
11-06-2010, 07:46 PM
Good to know, now I won't be even thinking about buying that since I play in my room which is medium sized and has a lot of stuff in the background.

Vault Boy
11-06-2010, 08:04 PM
so OP lemme get this straight you are blaming the Kinect device, because of YOUR gaming room and your poorly lit lighting?

its a camera do you take pictures in the dark? NO

Tufty
11-06-2010, 08:43 PM
so OP lemme get this straight you are blaming the Kinect device, because of YOUR gaming room and your poorly lit lighting?

He's not blaming it. He's telling everyone that it won't function properly if the room isn't lit very well, which I think is stupid.

Also yes, you can take pictures in the dark, you use the damn flash.

l.maciver
11-06-2010, 11:22 PM
theres always soundthing in the way, the area is the killer for this, ive not got enough space in my room, its pretty much crowded. It needs a recommended 2-3 meters and that is about the lenght of a door. Might need to move somethings just to get it to work, I surpose that could be the Kinect Start up Work-out.

Braiiins
11-06-2010, 11:46 PM
I had the same problem with room. I stand at least 8 feet away (and can't go further back) and i'm barely in the "great" section for kinect adventures. I'm fine playing alone because I can get up closer, but playing 2 player is a little more difficult but can be done.

I haven't had a problem with lighting, i've mostly played at night with 2 somewhat dim lights on. I should try turning one of them off. When it shows you the stupid pictures after levels in kinect adventures it's much brighter than the room actually is.

My only gripes about kinect are not kinects fault. I want voice command netflix on the kinect dashboard. I also want a way to skip through all the opening sequences in games (ie. I want an "A" button motion that I can furiously make as if using a controller to skip through intros to games/levels)

mrichmon
11-07-2010, 12:25 AM
I've found that the key is having open space with a flat floor. My living room has a hardwood floor that I can move my coffee tables out to the side to have a wide play area. In this space, Kinect has had no trouble with very low lighting.

HatTrick190
11-07-2010, 01:06 AM
20x10 living room here, works fine up close and far away, I didnt have any problems using the "good" distance in kinect adventures.

Nlkuysdf
11-07-2010, 01:19 AM

You can't be serious. He didn't blame kinect, he didn't even say anything bad about it. He's just letting people know what to expect.

Post like yours are what drive people to stop posting helpful information like this. They get tired of people just talking shit to every post for no reason than other to just bitch.

kosmos99
11-07-2010, 05:42 AM
For me Background "clutter" doesn't seem to affect it. Half of the kids playroom/living room had all of their toys scattered around(they have gone crazy, thank god the Halloween candy is almost gone! lol) The furniture was placed behind me and it had no troubles at all. The kinectimals scanning was a bit hard to do but it ended up working too.

litepink
11-07-2010, 07:23 AM
I had issues with PS2 and PS3 EyeToys, as well as the Xbox Live Vision Cameras. Playing EyePlay or what not it would not recognize my motion 75% of the time (in daylight, with lights, with brighter lights too) or putting my face into games like Tiger Woods would make me a very dark toned person, when I am clearly Anglo-American (I'm white), and that's if it worked even.

The Kinect, it's so much different for me. I have like a couple 60 watt bulbs in a lamp, and a ceiling fan in the distance, and I have had no detection issues. Dance Central (demo) tracks me very very well, and like it was mentioned in the Kotaku preview for it, you first blame your Dance Central faults on Kinect, but once you learn the moves you can perform them over and over and realize that Kinect is actually surprisingly precise and it was you screwing up, not the detection.

I did move my couch temporarily. I was right on the edge between the "good" distance and the "best" distance with it there. My heels were hitting the couch so I could stay in the "best" area, and while it worked it was slightly uncomfortable. With that moved their are no issues. I'll move it back if I take a break from Kinect for a few days (not happening soon, it's so much fun).

So, from my expierience, with some minor adjusting, it's great. Waaaaaay more accurate then I could imagine. I have to question the clutter issue RyotControl is having, as I feel it really detects human skeletons well. I'm guessing it's some other issue, like maybe clothing, or possibly skin tone? Or just lighting like you said.

Well anyways, I think this thread is a fair assessment or warning, but don't let it completely scare you off. Kinect are selling fast around here, and with the way Microsoft is pushing this, it could become a hot holiday item. I have a feeling they pay The Today Show, CNN, etc. to talk about their product and people buy into that. So I say buy it if you want it or on the fence, and if you expiereince problems like RyotControl has, return it and say it didn't work.

/Novel

Good luck Ryot, hope you can figure something out!

Deific Aberrant
11-07-2010, 08:59 AM
In Ryot's case...it possibly could be defective equipment - this is a possibility with all the input from the others. Of course, it really does depend on the open space availability and the background clutter he mentioned. Perhaps he has larger furniture in the background (i.e. more his height) which would confuse the equipment versus kids toys laying around and such which may not affect the equipment's scanning as much.

Since others seem to have a more...workable?...experience with dim light situations and background clutter, maybe swapping taking the equipment back and exchanging it might help?

Of course, testing it in 'ideal' conditions would be best first (in the eyes of retailers).

DAUNTEDFLETTY
11-07-2010, 10:40 AM
It seems to be news in other places so I figure that I may as well share my personal experience.

The Kinect is one pretty interesting piece of gear and when you see the tech specs to it, it's pretty impressive. But the the one thing that prevents me from fully enjoying the Kinect is the fact that it REQUIRES ample space for it to properly "see" you.

My regular gamespace is not a spacious living room and I actually have less than 6 feet from myself and the tv, which is the recommended space for the Kinect to function. I thought that I could cheese it and work it out without the extra space, but it actually degrades the tracking to the point where I can't function, so that didn't work out as planned.

I moved it to the living room, and despite the extra space that I had, it's got quite a bit of clutter in the backdrop from where I stand, and you can say that it's dimly lit. The dark backdrop, paired with the cluttered living room gave the Kinect alot to follow, and made body recognition less than optimal; compared to when I demoed the Kinect in optimal settings of the Microsoft Store, where the play space was brightly lit and with no obstructions to intrude the tracking.

So I can say I gave this piece of equipment a fair shake, but living arrangements can determine how much you enjoy this particular piece of gear.

yep i think space is my downfall too as im in a small room at the mo.
not going to stop me from getting it thow even if i have to play on the sofa : ). this will only be temp as im looking for a new flat and i will pick one with a super big front room lol

TUSCANreborn
11-07-2010, 10:48 AM
Just a quick question, I've tried to do a little research on the Kinect. Stuff like lighting and room needed but I've not found any definate answers. My living room has about 9 foot by 6 foot of empty space will this be enough? If not and as I've not found these answers anywhere I should be able to, will I be able to return my Kinect?

Blarghinator
11-07-2010, 03:49 PM
He's not blaming it. He's telling everyone that it won't function properly if the room isn't lit very well, which I think is stupid.

i lol'd so hard when i read this.

Burning Karma
11-07-2010, 05:41 PM
Just a quick question, I've tried to do a little research on the Kinect. Stuff like lighting and room needed but I've not found any definate answers. My living room has about 9 foot by 6 foot of empty space will this be enough? If not and as I've not found these answers anywhere I should be able to, will I be able to return my Kinect?
I've not had any experience with it yet, but I don't see why you couldn't return it.

To piggyback on what other posters have said, space is one of the real issues for me. I'd like to get Kinnect, it seems like a really solid piece of tech, but as my current living arrangements are set up, I simply do not have the space for it.

Spectre XVI
11-07-2010, 05:47 PM
I have the same problem. My room isn't big enough for the best experience, but I manage it to work. The only problem I have is with kinect adventures. The challenge called 20,000 leaks. I have a bed right next to me and sometimes you got to move your feet to the left, but I put them on my bed instead, because there is no empty space there. So, I moved the bed and I now it got better, but I dont like sleeping where my bed is.

jules the great
11-07-2010, 10:15 PM
Good point OP, this is something that anyone who wants Kinect needs to consider. I sure the hell didnt. Even tho I didnt have any issues, it would suck for anyone who purchased it already. We dont have that much clutter and the 60" has to be a little distance from the couch anyway when we play it. So no issues here, but very good point man.

CrazyCake
11-10-2010, 05:25 PM
Why, won't you just move it the living room, i'm moving mine to the studio when i get kienct more space and more light in that room espiecaly during the day.

Ryot Control
11-10-2010, 05:58 PM
You can't be serious. He didn't blame kinect, he didn't even say anything bad about it. He's just letting people know what to expect.

Got something for you guys.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Loveless54321/c812cafb.jpg

Also, it turns out that I do not have defective equipment because I moved the Kinect to my cousin's house, who has the best living room setup for the equipment. With ample space for multiplayer and tons of lighting, the thing is probably going to end up living there.

Also, I have a few tall potted plants in the living room that catches the wind when the windows are open, so additional movement that caught the Kinect's eye didn't help my cause either. My cousin has to put the dog outside when they play too, for obvious reasons. I've seen the tracking on the Kinect when I calibrate the system, so I'm just speaking from personal experience; of course your results may vary.

So yeah, space is the deal-maker/breaker when it comes to Kinect.

rob magic
11-11-2010, 08:41 PM
I play kinect in my living room. I have a setee and a chair obviously and its not a very big room. I also have a table and chairs at the back of the room and I have no problems what so ever. My playing area is basically the rug I have on the floor which is 6ftx3ft and like I said no problems. Kinect is great.

Mdragon75
11-13-2010, 04:11 AM
well I'm about to head down to the theater room and set this up. I have 8 feet from the wall to the foot of the steps for the seats I hope it works for me.

Missis Beki
11-13-2010, 08:04 PM
We have this problem too stupid UK house sizes and the fact my fiance is well over 6 foot makes its almost impossible for him to be picked up :(
Looked into the tv stands and it seems its a bit on the crap side
WTG microsoft!

Mr Wafu
11-14-2010, 02:58 AM
I'm not really sure how people can blame Microsoft for Kinect requiring large play areas. It's not like they decided that it's not physically possible for a camera to pick up a person from within a certain distance... try it with ANY camera, you have to move back until a person is fully in frame. That's hardly Microsoft's fault.

nhl556
11-15-2010, 09:46 PM
This is why I bought kinect after I knew all the facts and knew that I had enough room to play. If I hadn't I would have lost alot of money.

Pyrochaos
11-16-2010, 03:51 PM

My living room is similar, and almost always poorly lit when I play games. Have you tried calibrating it in a few different lighting scenarios? The facial recognition might not work to recognize you, but you can practically play kinect in the dark and it still works fine. Mainly due to the infrared.

Ryot Control
11-16-2010, 05:19 PM
My living room is similar, and almost always poorly lit when I play games. Have you tried calibrating it in a few different lighting scenarios? The facial recognition might not work to recognize you, but you can practically play kinect in the dark and it still works fine. Mainly due to the infrared.

No actually it never occurred to me to calibrate in low light conditions. That might actually work, but I already just parked it in my cousin's house, where it works with no hangups. I'd rather bank on a sure thing than tear down the whole setup and put it back where it doesn't work at it's best.

hodge
11-16-2010, 05:31 PM
This was one of the reasons why I didn't bother getting Kinect. My room is far too small to play comfortably and my living room would be quite awkward to play in too

paperbard
11-17-2010, 06:40 PM
Kinect isn't really for gamers anyway.

Pyrochaos
11-18-2010, 03:28 PM

Yeah it's for competitive eaters and people who've just found out they're not the father on Maury. /sarcasm

Bleeding Star
11-18-2010, 03:46 PM

lmfao spoken like someone who doesn't own Kinect

If you actually played Kinect before opening your mouth you would see that it is for gamers and it is infact awesome

Burning Karma
11-19-2010, 03:34 AM
Yeah it's for competitive eaters and people who've just found out they're not the father on Maury. /sarcasm
Yes! Means I'm still in the running for the market that Kinect was made for! ;)

thedaydreamkid
11-19-2010, 05:50 PM
I have a hit or miss time with Kinect.

I have just 6 feet currently and nothing but a wall behind me, yet I have times where I jump or squat and Kinect just refuses to register me. Will cause the game to pause and Kinect will rescan the area to find me.

Quite annoying.

RichXbox360
11-21-2010, 07:49 PM
I live in a small 1 Bedroom Flat (Apartment to the Yanks) and my Kinect registers me perfectly, even with the lights off.

CyanideSpirit
11-23-2010, 02:11 AM
Its true, i had to move this to my basement flatscreen for more space, it improved gameplay alot :)

lauralouise90
06-09-2011, 10:42 AM
I've been having problems with Kinect space for ages and ages - I've tried standing of the sofa, standing in the doorway and even jiggling with the sensor itself but nothing really seems to be working.

I did stumble across this ( http://www.gamingzap.com/nyko-zoom-xbox-360-kinect-lens-kit.html ) the other day which claims to reduce the room size needed by 40%.

Just wondered if anyone had it and if it was any good?

KingAntz
06-09-2011, 11:51 AM
I have Kinect, made it work and READ the specs before buying it... it clearly says on the box when you buy it you need ample space 6ft required and it has to be more then 3ft of the ground... It also states that you need propar lighting.

People should learn to read the specs on the box before buying it, complaining about it and then post negative posts about it.

Ryot this is not aimed at you but the other people here having a go at it.

Agent Aero
06-09-2011, 02:11 PM
I haven't read every post in the thread, so sorry if someone has mentioned this.

I found that having natural light flooding your playspace really causes problems, when i was standing in daylight and fiddling with the Kinect tuner it couldn't see me at all. It just displayed a whole square of green, with me being non existent.

Also, it help if you contrast your clothing to your background. For example, i play with a navy blue sofa behind me, and when i play wearing regular jeans and a darker coloured t-shirt it has a hard time picking me up, and i keep slipping in and out of it's range. So i switched clothes to a white t-shirt and put on a pair of shorts, and it had no problems whatsoever.

I also play with <6 feet of playspace. (Around 5)

newbsicle
06-10-2011, 03:21 PM
I've been having problems with Kinect space for ages and ages - I've tried standing of the sofa, standing in the doorway and even jiggling with the sensor itself but nothing really seems to be working.

I did stumble across this ( http://www.gamingzap.com/nyko-zoom-xbox-360-kinect-lens-kit.html ) the other day which claims to reduce the room size needed by 40%.

Just wondered if anyone had it and if it was any good?

According to an article I just read it was only a few days ago that it was announced at E3. So my guess would be that it's not even out yet. Placing a zoom lens over the kinect camera does seems like a pretty simple and effective idea. Hopefully it works as well as Nyko claims.

Until then it looks like I will be moving my xbox 360 and kinect into the living room. :p

summeranne
06-11-2011, 12:05 AM
I read somewhere that the zoom lens is expected out mid-August. I can't remember where, I read so much E3 related stuff the last few days!

Foxxy kyle
06-12-2011, 01:32 AM
My lighting seems to be a problem with my kinect. I have no issues with it reading me and whatnot but no matter how many time i do the kinect setup so it will automatically recognize me it doesnt work. I think its because my xbox is actually in a sun room (Windows surrounding 3/4 walls.) and it seems that if its even a tad bit brighter in the room it wont recognize you.

Neoles
06-13-2011, 02:22 AM
I was wanting to get Kinect but i have limited room. anyone have a link to the Exact requirements?

MrStabby1981
06-30-2011, 05:11 PM
I was wanting to get Kinect but i have limited room. anyone have a link to the Exact requirements?

im using mine in about 7ft by 3ft space and it will work but i get problems with kinect adventures on the game where you have to plug leaks in a glass tank. Some of the leaks are out past my room wall lol but thats my fault for a small room not kinects.

DocRevolt
07-21-2011, 05:21 AM
Hm, that's odd, I've played in a VERY cluttered room with the lights off and the game somehow managed to pick me up perfectly. Mind you I did have the 6-12 feet of recommended space, but clutter never did anything even though the entire area behind where i was standing was filled to the brim with random things.

CRW
07-21-2011, 09:54 AM
This is why I haven't even bothered buying a Kinect yet. I've seen enough reviews to know my living room is too small for it - small UK living rooms (though for the record the kinect does look awesome, a lot of potential). I might wait for the price to come down a bit, buy one to try it and then sell it on if it won't work for me. Or what are the chances Microsoft will make a Kinect 2 for those of us not in a Malibu Beach house?

SinersteR
07-28-2011, 04:22 PM
the more i light my living room up the better it registers me. but even though my ceiling fan has a 3 bulb sprocket it still seams to not register me sometimes. My son enjoys it along with my wife.

Maka
08-23-2011, 02:33 PM
I stand about 8ft back and have some problems. When I played the Dance Central demo, I couldn't get my feet to be tracked properly, as the kinect only picked up my body down to my knees. For some reason though, there's enough space above my head that I can put my arms fully extended up, and there's still room above my head on the preview screen. I want it to aim more down, but I'm not sure how I can do that as it always just ends up automatically adjusting.

Does anyone have any tips, as I'm scared that Kinect Sports (football and sprinting) won't work properly, as I don't have knee joints in the skeletal tracking in the kinect tuner.

My kinect is at about 5'8" at the moment. My other options are 3' or 4'5", but I heard the higher (closer to 6') the better. Any suggestions. I am at the maximum distance away from the kinect, at about 7ft-8ft. Also, for some reason, it will track me better if I stand on furniture, even if it is at a much closer range. I almost feel like the Kinect won't look down enough.

EDIT: Do you have to do the calibration everytime you move the kinect or the room set-up? I was under the assumption that it automatically adjusts, but looking at gameplay of others playing in much less space, I think I might have to recalibrate it.

Hippy Treee
08-30-2011, 05:26 PM
post 1 d d d d d d d d d d

Hippy Treee
08-30-2011, 05:27 PM
quick reply post 1 d d d d d d d d d

Hippy Treee
08-30-2011, 05:27 PM
djdjd d d d d d d d d d d d d