PDA

View Full Version : anyone else having huge problems with calibrating the game?

DarthLordDerek
11-07-2010, 07:27 AM
I can't seem to calibrate the game. I can play Rock Band 1 and 2 on expert and on this game I can barely get through medium due to calibration. Help at all here?

SebastianSB
11-07-2010, 07:49 AM
I can't seem to calibrate the game. I can play Rock Band 1 and 2 on expert and on this game I can barely get through medium due to calibration. Help at all here?

I've played every Rock Band game ever without any calibration, so I assume they have the exact same timing in each game.

Assuming this is correct, you should be able to boot up RB1 or 2, look at your calibration numbers, then manually put them into RB3.

rockhopper
11-07-2010, 08:00 AM
I had the exact same problem at the beginning. I kept missing all these easy notes when there's a bunch of the same color in a row. It would just keep missing notes here and there even though I never had a problem in RB2. Problem was first thing upon entering the disc was to calibrate on guitar and it gave me whatever numbers. I eventually went in and reset audio and visual calibration to 0 for both settings and now it is perfect! Turns out I shouldn't have calibrated at all.

SebastianSB
11-07-2010, 08:05 AM
I had the exact same problem at the beginning. I kept missing all these easy notes when there's a bunch of the same color in a row. It would just keep missing notes here and there even though I never had a problem in RB2. Problem was first thing upon entering the disc was to calibrate on guitar and it gave me whatever numbers. I eventually went in and reset audio and visual calibration to 0 for both settings and now it is perfect! Turns out I shouldn't have calibrated at all.

It also means that your timing during the calibration minigame was terrible xD

Didi Mau
11-07-2010, 08:54 AM
It hasn't worked for absolutely everyone, but I read on ScoreHero a common fix is to add +20/+20 to whatever your RB2 calibration was. This should also be the calibration that works when playing Green Day: Rock Band as well, if I remember correctly.

It definitely works for me, when playing RB2 I was 60/30 on my upstairs television and 20/0 downstairs, and now play 80/50 and 40/20 with no problems at all.

The calibration tests in this game seems very haphazard, I get incredibly different results each time.

aristokrat18
11-08-2010, 01:38 AM
I wish the game would try to learn your timing as your playing and adjust to an ideal point over time. If you're hitting every note correctly but just a little late, the game should be able to figure out that you're not the problem.

DarthSoth
11-08-2010, 04:10 PM
I've had soem issue with the calibration setting as well. I played a bunch and got semi used to it but still found I was missing easy notes that I should be getting in my sleep, so I have gone back and recalibrated the setting. Doing this dropped it from 80/60 to around 40/40 so I will see how that works out tonight when I fire it back up. It just felt off, and nothing is more frusteration than missing notes that you know you nailed. especially when they are easy notes like that.

x352x pH
11-09-2010, 12:24 AM
Just to clarify for anyone here you should NOT be calibrating unless you have an HDTV. That being said, if you are using an HDTV, I have discovered that it REALLY helps if you use an HDMI cable with your set-up, a whole lot less lag. Also, if you have a RB2/3 Strat you can do the automatic calibration dealio which seems to help out a lot more. Good luck!

Tao Jian Min
11-09-2010, 09:52 AM
Crazy stuff, if i calibrate with guitar, the drums are almost unplayable. If i calibrate on drums, the guitar and keyboard are almost unplayable.... hope they fix this, very annoying when you have a few friend over at you house

SebastianSB
11-09-2010, 05:13 PM
Crazy stuff, if i calibrate with guitar, the drums are almost unplayable. If i calibrate on drums, the guitar and keyboard are almost unplayable.... hope they fix this, very annoying when you have a few friend over at you house

Sorry to say it but that's got to be user error. The instruments don't calibrate differently at all. The timing of either your drum hits or your strumming is off.

Didi Mau
11-09-2010, 10:05 PM
Sorry to say it but that's got to be user error. The instruments don't calibrate differently at all. The timing of either your drum hits or your strumming is off.

I can safely say this is incorrect. What you're saying to me is I can't handle the most basic of timing issues to calibrate the game, when in fact the game simply has majorly shite calibration settings.

I'm incredibly good at rhythm games, I know what I miss and what I do not. Fortunately to me I fall under the people who have the +20/+20 calibration from Rock Band 2, otherwise I'd be unable to play the game. It may work for you as it is, but do not take it for gospel.

My instruments as far as RB2 is concerned, has always worked on different calibrations. I don't know what rhythm games forums you frequent, but this has always been a constant with RB2. RB1 did it correctly by flat out asking you what type of television you use; sadly they got rid of this.

SebastianSB
11-10-2010, 04:11 AM
I'm not talking about calibrating the game in general. I'm saying that if you calibrate the game correctly it will work for every instrument. Every instrument follows the same timing offset. For example if you're playing guitar at +20 and drums at +50 there's something up with your own reactions to the stimuli. If every single instrument needed to be calibrated at completely different times in order to play then local band play would be impossible.

Didi Mau
11-10-2010, 08:12 AM
Ahh sorry, my mistake. I can agree to that with my personal experiences, RB2 was the one that felt most "off" per instruments when playing locally but it turned out that it was due to my friends and I each having slightly different timings of playing rhythm games (regarding hitting the note slightly early/late) so the calibration used created a nearly-negligible-but-not-quite experience for various players.

Did anyone actually have problems with RB1's way of calibrating? You'd just pick what type of television you were playing and it'd calibrate itself. That was dead on the money with every television I've ever played RB1 on, I wonder why they got rid of that method.

Tao Jian Min
11-10-2010, 02:32 PM

Nah i donīt think so, i am playing these Games since Day one of Guitar Hero 1... we were 3 People and had the same problems each time. What i did to get this straight was that i took the middle between guitar and drums and put them in manually. Now it works almost perfect, no drops anymore ;)

I think it has something to do with the Dolby Digital settings, we tested it without Dolby Digital and there was no problem at all... weird ....

SebastianSB
11-10-2010, 02:53 PM
Nah i donīt think so, i am playing these Games since Day one of Guitar Hero 1... we were 3 People and had the same problems each time. What i did to get this straight was that i took the middle between guitar and drums and put them in manually. Now it works almost perfect, no drops anymore ;)

I think it has something to do with the Dolby Digital settings, we tested it without Dolby Digital and there was no problem at all... weird ....

Sounds like you just proved me correct...you were calibrating one instrument to highly and the other too lowly.

Let me repeat this for good measure: Different calibrations for different instruments make absolutely no sense. The concept just defies all logic if you really think about it.