PDA

View Full Version : Hexic HD Starred Tiles Question

theschlubb
11-07-2010, 05:23 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have pretty much gotten the hang of creating the master grid, black pearls, and diffusing bombs. I was wondering if anyone knew the algorithm that Hexic HD uses to create starred tiles. It takes a long time to get those pesky little buggers, and I was hoping someone knew what makes starred tiles drop. I have looked on several forums, and this does not seem to be a topic of discussion. If anyone knows how to force a starred tile to drop, please share you insight. Good luck with you MMCs! Thanks!

Best,

The Schlubb

***ADDITION***
I can help anyone who needs the more difficult achievments for Hexic HD. Send me a friend request on Xbox Live to gamertag "The Schlubb", and I'll see what I can do to help.

J HaDlEy 616
11-19-2010, 03:24 PM
Hi, i'm not sure if there is an algorithm as to when the multipliers drop. The only pattern i've noticed is that I generally get one every 7ish combos, however sometimes 2 or 3 drop at once and sometimes I don't get any after a whole bomb round (10 combos). The most likely idea i can think of is that they have a certain probabilty of falling, I'd say around the 0.03, so like out of every 30 tiles one should be a multiplier. This is just a vague pattern I've noticed though. The key to farming multipliers is just to keep on trucking till you get enough :P

theschlubb
11-20-2010, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the input. I have to believe there is some kind of mathematics at work here, though. The xbox is, after all, a machine. Unless it was using some kind of /dev/random, it would always be a formula to determine when it drops a starred tile. As we're talking about Microsoft, I doubt that's the case. For example, maybe it is a number of rotations, colors used in your attempt, secondary color in the sixth position around the star flower, color combinations, adjacent colors, etc. As you can see there are several variables I'm taking into consideration. I could grind all day and all night to make an MMC, but I'd like to take it to the next level and really break down the mechanics of the game. It is a Alexey Pajitnov game. I think it's slightly more complex than tetrominoes and polyominoes, but you can see what I'm driving at. Does anyone have contact info for Alexey Pajitnov? Hahaha. I bet he'd love to discuss the maths behind one of his most underrated games. P.S. Check me out on the leaderboards. I'm slowly moving up the ranks. I'd like to be on the same level as oldtaco and those guys, but I'm a ways off...for now.

mihai7645
11-21-2010, 02:29 AM
i remember finding a lot of videos with Hexic on YouTube and some discussions about the stars or bombs that i couldn't be bothered to decipher....you might find something there.

I just got the 3 black pearl achievement....and to be honest...personally i think i'll never get the 6 pearl achievement. I can't seem to be able to avoid combos.

theschlubb
11-21-2010, 06:45 AM
The key to getting six black pearls, is setting up what is known as the master grid. If you go to hexic.info, they have a lot of great information that can help you get that pesky achievement. Once you understand the master grid, you can force the bomb to drop in an exact location. You can then either move same colored pieces into place to diffuse it, or you can combine three starred tiles next to it, which will make it disappear. They have some good video tutorials on bomb diffusing strategies on hexic.info as well. It really is a great resource when you move past the basic mechanics of the game and start attempting MMCs. If there were a way for me to do it for you that didn't require me taking over your gamertag, I could do it for you in about an hour, maybe less. I'd even be willing to do that if someone was so inclined. I know we've strayed from my original post topic, but if anyone has any questions about achievements, I'd be glad to answer them. I am all about closing out a game's achievements.

Shelton
11-21-2010, 07:01 AM
If there were a way for me to do it for you that didn't require me taking over your gamertag, I could do it for you in about an hour, maybe less. I'd even be willing to do that if someone was so inclined. I know we've strayed from my original post topic, but if anyone has any questions about achievements, I'd be glad to answer them. I am all about closing out a game's achievements.
It kind of ruins the whole point of achievements if you have someone else do them for you. Sure, offer people advice, but actually trading accounts...Well, that's a big no-no. Against Microsofts Terms of Service and also against x360a's rules. Just giving you a heads up.

As for the question at hand, sorry, I can't help you. I got my Grand Pearl Pooh-Bah, but there was no real rhyme or reason to my method. I didn't set up a grid. I simply star walked the board, being very careful not to make any accidental combo's. Definitely not the most efficient way to go about it, but it got the job done. Hopefully someone who completely understands the game and its inner workings will be able to help you.

Welcome to the site by the way.:)

*Have you tried contacting oldtaco? Also, have you visited the xbox.com forum? There is a lot of good info there. I'll link to it, incase you haven't...

LINK. (http://forums.xbox.com/303/ShowForum.aspx)