PDA

View Full Version : Kinect and Vision Cameras?

Asian47
11-07-2010, 11:41 PM
Ever since the announcement of Kinect, I've always wondered about the Xbox Live Vision Camera, and what would happen with it. More specifically, I've wondered if Kinect would be backwards-compatible with games that had Vision Camera features. Something like getting your face into R6V, or Tiger Woods.

So, does anyone know for sure?

Braiiins
11-08-2010, 12:07 AM
I saw some posts on the xbox forums saying that there was an announcement that it won't be compatible. I went to download Totemball yesterday to test it out, but it wasn't available on the marketplace.

In the settings on the console there's an option to have it turn kinect on at start up or the vision camera or something like that, so from that I get that it isn't compatible.

MangledRex
11-08-2010, 03:16 AM
At the moment kinect doesn't work instead of the vision cam in games like totemball or you're in the movies

litepink
11-08-2010, 03:24 AM
Ever since the announcement of Kinect, I've always wondered about the Xbox Live Vision Camera, and what would happen with it. More specifically, I've wondered if Kinect would be backwards-compatible with games that had Vision Camera features. Something like getting your face into R6V, or Tiger Woods.

So, does anyone know for sure?

I think Kinect is a completely different beast and will not be backwards compatible. I know Def Jam is going to have a title update to have Kinect compatibility though, and other devs could choose to do the same (but we won't hold our breath).

Going forward though, we should see far better applications for the face-scan in Tiger Woods and whatnot. What's interesting though is that someone said while having the Kinect plugged in they could voice chat with others in Red Dead Redemption (and presumably any other game)

kaleido42
11-08-2010, 05:01 AM
Going forward though, we should see far better applications for the face-scan in Tiger Woods and whatnot. What's interesting though is that someone said while having the Kinect plugged in they could voice chat with others in Red Dead Redemption (and presumably any other game)

I can confirm that Kinect works for all voice chat online. Anything that uses a microphone it can actually replace (even voice messages). I used it at first, but after a while I'm noticing that its not that great for voice chat. The lack of a mute button (you can mute through the menus, but that takes a too long if you're online) and the fact that everyone's voices comes through your tv speakers instead of a headset makes it a bit too messy for my tastes. Other than voice chat though, this can be quite useful in a few games. One that I just tried is rockband. If you happen to be wanting to do the multiplayer (guitar, singing combo) by yourself but you lack a micstand then kinect seems to work just fine. Only potential issue with this is that body/location tracking is disabled and it seems to take any generic voice/noise in non-kinect games so it seems that other people could easily mess you up.

Binaryjam
11-14-2010, 05:00 PM
I saw some posts on the xbox forums saying that there was an announcement that it won't be compatible. I went to download Totemball yesterday to test it out, but it wasn't available on the marketplace.

In the settings on the console there's an option to have it turn kinect on at start up or the vision camera or something like that, so from that I get that it isn't compatible.
That's a shame i can't see why it's the case the than money

Kaktus Fuz
11-14-2010, 08:41 PM
aww, that's too bad. I was hoping it would be compatible with the camera games :(