PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Amount of Room?

v_thorne
11-08-2010, 07:46 AM
So I want to get Kinect soon, maybe after January. The thing is, I'm moving into a smaller place and I'm only going to have my own bedroom to be able to play this in.

It's not a very big room, and I might only be about 3 feet away from the TV. 5 feet max. I'm assuming Kinect needs a lot more space than that? I'm fairly short at 5 ft 1, so I'm not sure if that matters in getting me in the full view of Kinect or not.

Genesis x360a
11-08-2010, 07:52 AM
You need 6ft by 8ft box or 8ft by 6ft box away from your TV (Its one of the 2) You need a pretty fairly decent sized room to play it in. Not sure if you can play it in a smaller space i know that there just the requirements in/on the box.

kaleido42
11-08-2010, 08:44 AM
You need 6ft by 8ft box or 8ft by 6ft box away from your TV (Its one of the 2) You need a pretty fairly decent sized room to play it in. Not sure if you can play it in a smaller space i know that there just the requirements in/on the box.

That's without multiplayer, want to play multiplayer kinect adventures its more like 10 feet (I barely pull off single player working with a 7 foot distance).

You can also take a foot's length or so off of that if you put kinect above your tv (you'll need to buy an extra attachment for that in most cases, unless you're tv isn't a flat screen), but even then it would be very difficult if not impossible for you to play in that amount of play space.

v_thorne
11-08-2010, 09:11 AM
Alright thanks for the input guys. I'll try seeing if I can't put the tv on an angle at the corner to make more space.

ApochWeiss
11-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Damn! I knew it was a space hog but that's a good amount of room...I have my own apartment and that's even questionable! haha. I have the room, but that means if I play Kinect I may have to move furniture around. Ugh...oh well, I'm looking at getting one around Christmas so maybe by then I'll have the new furtniture in place and the spacing will be different anyhow.

Strator
11-09-2010, 01:11 PM
i have like 7 feets tv to couch.. so my room is ok for kinect to work?

kaleido42
11-09-2010, 02:29 PM
barely, 7 feet you should be able to do most if not all single player games, but if you want multiplayer I'd say you'd either have to get the mount to put it on top of your tv or your going to want to make a bit extra room somehow. Multiplayer might work, but not great.

Strator
11-09-2010, 02:56 PM
i mostly play alone so i should be ok. :) so its better tu put the kinnect at the top of tv or buttom? i have a flat tv so it will be hard to put it on top O_o

kaleido42
11-09-2010, 04:02 PM
Top, gives you a bit extra room that way. There's a mount type thing that you can buy in stores (although I have to see it). Either way it should be between 2 and 6 feet off the ground, the closer to either one the better.

Braiiins
11-09-2010, 11:46 PM
barely, 7 feet you should be able to do most if not all single player games, but if you want multiplayer I'd say you'd either have to get the mount to put it on top of your tv or your going to want to make a bit extra room somehow. Multiplayer might work, but not great.

I have a max of 8 feet from my tv to my couch. I don't have any problems with multiplayer, it does get crowded sometimes when playing an active game like soccer on kinect sports, but when it comes to the kinect registering movements I don't have a problem.

MrStabby1981
11-12-2010, 06:03 PM
I used it in a supermarket and it was in a fairly cramped space it worked perfect the place was very well lit

bathori
11-12-2010, 07:51 PM
v_thorne, can't say I'd recommend it for your space.
I can be picked up by the system at 5 feet or so, but the games also require you to move frontwards or backwards a step at times.
Generally I can play at about the 6 foot range with no problems.
You might get away with a bit less than that, my wife is 5'6" and she can play closer than me.

Herjuk
11-12-2010, 09:55 PM
I had a go at PC World, the system said 1.8 meters away for my height (6 foot)

KFZ Scrubs
11-13-2010, 12:45 AM
Ughhh, it takes about 6-8 feet for the best possible room to play kinect.... at least that's what the vid says.
I think you can play closer, but only one person can play at a time like that.

Jappe XBA
11-14-2010, 04:20 PM
I have about 6.5 feet distance from the kinect to the wall of my room, and me and my friend were able to ply Kinect Sports pretty decently. So 7 feet is definitely good for single player.

W1cked Seraph
11-15-2010, 05:35 AM
I have one and while i am 6'1 i need over 6ft for it to read properly. But i would say 5ft is to little room wise

xamot
11-15-2010, 08:00 AM
whenever i play a kinect game it says 6-10ft but my room is almost jail cell can barely play it in there

Zany Coy
01-12-2012, 12:38 PM
I played in a room of 19 sqM completely filled by furniture 8)

Zany Coy
01-12-2012, 12:39 PM
It's a brilliant device. I am proud that I am a part of MS

cazzandra
01-14-2012, 12:47 PM
Some games needs lot of space like winter stars who wants 2meters or more. Other games don't need much space like dance central or kinectimals.

ChickinOnaChain
01-14-2012, 12:56 PM
Not having enough room is one reason I never thought about getting a Kinect. I have a huge coffee table and it's sitting 6' away from the TV and there's no way to do all the movements, without hitting it.

ScottieElisabeth
01-14-2012, 05:14 PM
From my experience, the Kinect demands a LOT of space. The distance AWAY from your TV is the LEAST of your worries. Nevermind the fact that quite often, the Kinect runs me into my bed, which is a good 3-4 feet to the right of the sensor, or the couch when I'm in the living room, which is a good 6 feet to the right of the sensor!

And if you don't have fluorescent lights, or a bright lamp right in front of you, it's almost impossible to calibrate the Kinect, and the Kinect will then lose sight of you mid-game, a HORRIBLE pain when you're playing something like Wipeout.

There's a lot to knock about the space issues with the Kinect. But really, it's cool as hell. None of the Wii crap, where your controller is what matters. Very cool, and awesome voice feature where you can be all telepathic with your xbox (well, vocal, I guess, but that's beside the point).

You need the room, definitely. But if you have it, it's worth getting.

Lil Welshy 84
01-20-2012, 05:37 PM
Hmm I have about 8ft of space back from the sensor and about 5-6 ft either side if I dont start humping sofas out of the way (I'm thinking UK houses are way smaller than American ones!).
Anyway found no real problems with Kinect Adventures but started playing dance central last night and the second song in it wouldnt read my feet stepping to the sides which really really annoyed me!
So now if I want to play I have to move all the furniture (which annoys my husband!!) think I may invest in the over the TV stand if it will help, does anyone know?

Resurgam040
02-07-2012, 10:19 AM
i play most game like 1,5-2m away from my tv with only 1,5m space to move from the left to the right. Rarely i lack space so I think the space needed for Kinect is overrated, especially for games like Fruit Ninja and Adventures or something.

JenniBee
02-08-2012, 11:24 AM
It depends on the game too. I can play Double Fine Happy Action Theater just fine with two or three people in a very small space, since only one person is tracked with a skeleton and the other two aren't.

With games that need a skeleton to play, like Kinect Adventures, I can only play with one person in that space.

BrenteusMaximus
02-20-2012, 09:55 PM
Wow glad I didn't get the kinect for xmas after reading this thread. My apartment would need a major overhaul to ever support a kinect. too bad.