PDA

View Full Version : No Fail does NOT affect Goals

Napp
11-08-2010, 07:22 PM
I'm pretty sure this hasn't been mentioned, I'm not sure about achievements but I was able to get the DLC Bow Down goal (beat Thrasher on Expert) with No Fail on.. I didn't even have to play

Also would anyone be interested in writing a Goal guide with me over Thanksgiving break?

Capn Doug
11-08-2010, 08:33 PM
You're right, you can definitely unlock most, if not all, of the goals with No Fail on, but why? Wouldn't you rather feel like you accomplished something as opposed to exploiting a loophole to get everything? The no fail seems to be designed to not punish you for playing with someone who is very casual, not so that you can just let the endless setlist play itself for 7 hours.

Napp
11-08-2010, 08:58 PM
If that is directed toward me, I'm not offended or anything if it was.. but I actually played the song and got 4 and a half stars my first try. I'm an expert player on all pro instruments except for the guitar only because I'm still unsure of which one I wanna buy. I just posted it to help others out

x352x pH
11-09-2010, 12:43 AM
You're right, you can definitely unlock most, if not all, of the goals with No Fail on, but why? Wouldn't you rather feel like you accomplished something as opposed to exploiting a loophole to get everything? The no fail seems to be designed to not punish you for playing with someone who is very casual, not so that you can just let the endless setlist play itself for 7 hours.
could not agree more good sir

Didi Mau
11-09-2010, 08:06 AM

I don't really want to start some bad blood seeing as you're one of my more liked posters on the forum (I'm normally called DougieDougDoug as my username :p), but I can't really fault anyone for using no fail to go through the Endless Setlist.

I did it properly myself as I still hadn't played all the charts and I needed the HOPO's towards the Maniac achievement, but I can't count playing 83 songs in a row an accomplishment- just a timesink. The bladder of steel isn't an accomplishment to be proud of either in my eyes (though again, I did it without running to the bathroom during longer breaks), I'm happy for you if you feel proud for doing it but to me (and I'm sure many others) it's more a tedious task than a challenge. Goldstars, FC's, or even passing hard songs make me feel proud, but I just don't get that from the ESL...and I've had to do it seven times across the series now!

I played a bunch of keys charts using a guitar controller whilst I was waiting to pick up a keyboard so that I only had to play one song to unlock the Keys Apprentice achievement; it's definitely a loophole, but when there's pro keys to be learned I'm not doing such a boring, unchallenging timesink into a mode I'm never going to play. The controller cost me 70, I'm not going to only use five buttons of it :p

Lucent Beam
11-09-2010, 04:18 PM
I did it properly myself as I still hadn't played all the charts and I needed the HOPO's towards the Maniac achievement, but I can't count playing 83 songs in a row an accomplishment- just a timesink.

I hate to say it, but I agree....
I actually played the original endless setlist 3 different times, and it was fun each time (vocals, then bass, then drums). But that was "only" 58 songs. And that was before I had a lot of DLC, full of songs that I'd rather play than playing songs on disc that I hate.
When RB2 came out, I just could never justify sitting through over 80 songs, including ones that i thought were lame. The Endless Setlist achievements are the only ones I'm missing on RB2 and I bet it will be missing for me on RB3 unless I somehow don't consider it a waste of time anymore.

Capn Doug
11-09-2010, 08:28 PM
No bad blood Didi Mau, nor should I judge. I freely admit that I used no fail to get the solo on Green Day's Hitching a Ride (one strum note seems to be slightly off for calibration, and I didn't fail anyway, through double strumming) and the 4 player band achievement (I had a boosting group but lost connection and could not regain it in hour 4 of 5) and will probably have used it if I ever get all the kick drums on Brain Stew. I know I have also done a few things on expert simply because I can, and I will probably end up doing the Endless Setlist legit on expert guitar, maybe with No Fail as a safety net, though not as a means to pass the thing. It is possible for me to sleep through the Endless setlist by setting my turbo controller to automatically press A and advance to the next song, but that seems like a waste for me. It will be on my gamer tag, I want to be proud of it.

I simply fail to see the point in using No Fail to pass a goal (not an achievement), since they are more for showing what you can do. The goal lists have replaced my massive database of scores and star ratings (and I am a little irked that I have 3 H's next to my guitar scores because I can pass them on expert, but finished a few on hard because of the 85% solo requirement), so I'm taking them seriously for myself. Yes, the Endless Setlist is simply a time commitment the way the achievement requirement works, but given that Rock Band 2 was the game that I got 360 for, I want to do it legit, and make people think twice about using no fail, though ultimately it is each individual gamer's decision. You can only unlock it once, so it may as well be the time that you accomplished something.

Didi Mau
11-09-2010, 10:28 PM
Snip

That's fair enough mate. And Jesus Fuck did you raise your gamerscore this year! If you need someone to go through the ESL3 with you shoot me up, I'll be cool with helping out just out of admiration haha.

I'll be honest, I'm intrigued as to whether or not reaching that silver star "AKA, the "Completionist" rank) will unlock anything, but if it's revealed that it does, consider me one whoring bitch of every loophole possible when it comes to vocals. I am quite literally tone-deaf, and have put the past two years into vocals practice with the only improvement being moving from Easy to Medium. I'm certain in my mind this isn't a talent that can be learned for those born without, so if I need every goal on every instrument you can bet I'll cheat (spent 5 years playing guitar and 2 on drums, I don't feel sorry!)

Capn Doug
11-10-2010, 02:14 AM
That's fair enough mate. And Jesus Fuck did you raise your gamerscore this year! If you need someone to go through the ESL3 with you shoot me up, I'll be cool with helping out just out of admiration haha.

Plus More...

Yeah, GSL does that to your gamerscore. Why do you think I'm playing so much Rock Band over the last few weeks? Getting back to a game I love to play rather than just playng a bunch of different shallow games (with a collectables walkthrough open). I did whore it up on Band Hero, though...

And hey, I'll rock out differently to get the Silver Star gives me something (it isn't an avatar award, but maybe a gamer pic?). Just play the goals instead of the random songs. But aside from allowing me to pass Freebird everytime solo, I don't think no Fail will help me with many of the goals, though. I can't really drum anyway, so what I really would need is someone to work the kick drum while I do the hands. No Fail can't do that.