PDA

View Full Version : Kinect Vs. Gamers

HydroJuggalo
11-10-2010, 03:21 AM
What an interesting marketing strategy this is.
You make a product that, when you find out what it is, your first reaction was probably, "I MUST HAVE IT!" Than, you see the game line-up and half of Xbox's gaming world was let down.
Now, the marketing strategy behind Kinect is bloody brilliant in my opinion. You have just allowed every family in most every country to get there hands on the next generation of technology. Wait a few months, than proceed to release not only family games, but tons of games built for the pro gamers. A beautiful way to control supply and demand. Patience is a virtue Microsoft learned far too late with the original releases of the Xbox 360. Obviously, they HAVE learned.
Don't be all angry that all the games don't appeal to you hardcore gamers. Like I just said, patience is a virtue. This not only allows them time to work out any bugs/glitches that may arise with Kinect, but also allows them to release a better version. The ideas that you could create with this kind of technology are infinite. So please, stifle your anger and let the creators do their job. They have a plan. If they didn't do you think that the video game industry would be a multi-billion dollar industry? Hell no.
There's enough games coming out right now to keep you all very content until something interesting releases for the Kinect. I'm talking COD: Black Ops, Assassins Creed: Brotherhood, NFS: Hot Pursuit, and for all of you computer geeks out there World of Warcraft: Cataclysm.

Dz06lt
11-10-2010, 03:27 AM
motion controlls are trash. If wii wasnt selling like ganbusters this wouldnt even be an issue right now. /thread

Kramericus
11-10-2010, 03:56 AM
Honestly Id much rather Kinect stay the casual family gaming platform and the "gamer" games remain as they are now.

HydroJuggalo
11-10-2010, 04:08 AM
Honestly Id much rather Kinect stay the casual family gaming platform and the "gamer" games remain as they are now.

Your honestly telling me that you wouldn't want a movie like "Gamer" to become a reality? Kinect is only the beginning. 5 years ago Bill Gates had technology that was 10 years ahead of ours. Little by little (in the most literal meaning of the word "little") he's releasing that technology to the world. Kinect is a prototype for a much bigger picture. When I can move freely around my room holding an AK-47 and be playing my game in REAL time, you will be happy and so will I.

Kramericus
11-10-2010, 04:19 AM
Your honestly telling me that you wouldn't want a movie like "Gamer" to become a reality? Kinect is only the beginning. 5 years ago Bill Gates had technology that was 10 years ahead of ours. Little by little (in the most literal meaning of the word "little") he's releasing that technology to the world. Kinect is a prototype for a much bigger picture. When I can move freely around my room holding an AK-47 and be playing my game in REAL time, you will be happy and so will I. Yea I am honestly telling you I have 0% interest doing a bunch of motion gaming bullshit to play my games. Would get real damn old to have to fake walk to play any game, fake swing imaginary weaponry, fake throw imagnary grenades, etc.

Now adding some voice control into games so you can verbally give your allies commands while you control your character with the controller would be neat, anything beyond that though no thank you.

v_thorne
11-10-2010, 06:14 AM
motion controlls are trash. If wii wasnt selling like ganbusters this wouldnt even be an issue right now. /thread

Not true. Evolution happens in everything. Especially in technology, so why not gaming? While this type of play might not appeal to you, it has the potential for great success, and is one of the biggest breakthroughs in gaming to date in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my controller as well. Coming home from a long, hard day at work I don't want to stand up and play all my games. So I think they should always have a secondary "controller" option. But this by no means should cancel out what Kinect delivers, which is physical interaction between the player and the game. Not just a bunch of button mashing.

Kramericus
11-10-2010, 06:43 AM
Problem to me with kinect is why it offers a really unique way to play some of these laid back games I really dont see how it could possibly work with more complex games. To me you really would have to move backward with the games in order to really move forward with this controller free set up. I think the voice tech could supplement, but I dont think its viable as a stand alone option over the controller.

litepink
11-10-2010, 11:43 AM
I think a true gamer would be willing to play or at least try all games. Or at the very very least, be open minded about the possibilities of new games and new ways to play them. Sure, Kinect Adventures is far less complex than most of your controller games out now, but you're a zombie if you don't have fun or get a good laugh while playing with friends. I think people forget to have fun sometimes when they are playing games and so far Kinect has delivered a great deal of fun so far, with a healthy dose of gaming and achievements at the same time.

Most core gamers out there feel so threatened by this. Open your mind to what Kinect and future devices could do, or trust that they could make an enjoyable experience for you someday, if that hasn't arrived yet.

FIFA 11 features a "Be a Goalie" mode touted as boring by lots of reviews. Kinect would make so much sense for this. Calling audibles in [american] football is another neat idea (thank you gamerscore league for teaching me 'the audible'). How about defusing a bomb in Call of Duty with your hands instead of simply holding "X".

I see all the hate for Kinect coming from those who don't own it (and likely never tried it either). I've heard little complaint from Kinect owners, and hear terms like "surprised" "happy" "in love". Top achievement hunters are playing with their families...great for getting achievements and family time, which is likely a challenge to balance to those with 300K+. I also hear "tired" "sore" "workout". This may not be for you, but what an awesome positive vibe to give to gaming when "sex" "violence" "school shooting" is the wrap games get these days.

Strator
11-10-2010, 12:19 PM
I mostly agree with litepink here. For me a real gamer is not the one that pwn everyone in COD and only play that game. for me a real gamer try every genre of game and enjoy playing video games in general. But unfortunately today if its not about head shot brown graphics violence and testosterone. the game is (insert all negative word here). I want to try kinect just for the fun of it and make myself move a lil bit. Yes that will not replace my controller games. But I might have a hell of fun ^_^

kornfan2007
11-10-2010, 03:15 PM
I will try it given a chance, but not willing to spend the money on it yet. The games don't appeal much to me for the price attached. I'm sure if I could try them out I would have fun, but don't want to spend so much to find out it I will enjoy it.

My other concern is the one of space. Although I have enough space (just) to get it to work, again there is a risk that it won't as I have heard some negativity relating to size. I'm going to sit in a wait and see area to give it a good while for everything to be ironed out and then look into it.

Kramericus
11-10-2010, 04:43 PM
Eh I mainly feel "threatened" because I feel the type of games I play would have to take steps backward gameplay wise to really bring the motion aspects of kinect in. Verbal control aspects like I have said would make a great addition, but motion simply doesnt work with games that arent "on the rails" IMO. How do you even do the simplest of things like turn around, switch weapons, use different abilities, etc? A bunch of different hand motions? And you cant really mix it in like you suggested, what are you supposed to play most of the game with the controller then suddenly when a motion part comes drop the controller, quickly do whatever the little motion gimmick is, this grab the controller again? Even with 100% real time perfect tracking I just dont see how this works with a more complex game without being a pain in the ass.

I do think its awesome technology and a fun control scheme for the exact kind of games they are releasing for it now though, I just really cant figure out a way that it would work, beyond verbal, for the other kind of games the xbox offers.

Pyrochaos
11-10-2010, 04:50 PM
Truth: Fat people hate motion control.

HydroJuggalo
11-10-2010, 07:22 PM
I think a true gamer would be willing to play or at least try all games. Or at the very very least, be open minded about the possibilities of new games and new ways to play them. Sure, Kinect Adventures is far less complex than most of your controller games out now, but you're a zombie if you don't have fun or get a good laugh while playing with friends. I think people forget to have fun sometimes when they are playing games and so far Kinect has delivered a great deal of fun so far, with a healthy dose of gaming and achievements at the same time.

Most core gamers out there feel so threatened by this. Open your mind to what Kinect and future devices could do, or trust that they could make an enjoyable experience for you someday, if that hasn't arrived yet.

FIFA 11 features a "Be a Goalie" mode touted as boring by lots of reviews. Kinect would make so much sense for this. Calling audibles in [american] football is another neat idea (thank you gamerscore league for teaching me 'the audible'). How about defusing a bomb in Call of Duty with your hands instead of simply holding "X".

I see all the hate for Kinect coming from those who don't own it (and likely never tried it either). I've heard little complaint from Kinect owners, and hear terms like "surprised" "happy" "in love". Top achievement hunters are playing with their families...great for getting achievements and family time, which is likely a challenge to balance to those with 300K+. I also hear "tired" "sore" "workout". This may not be for you, but what an awesome positive vibe to give to gaming when "sex" "violence" "school shooting" is the wrap games get these days.

This honestly has to be one of the most truthful things I've heard someone say in quite awhile. Props to you man. Very well written. That's the problem with people though. They wanna hate something before they try it. But that's like me telling you that I hate Katy Perry's music but I've never listened to it a day in my life. Therefore not only do I sound stupid, I sound ignorant. I heard a new reporter lady last night talking about how a teenage prostitution ring was busted and they showed pictures of all black guys. She said, "Their names were probably stuff like "Cash Money" and "Young Dog." Fucking ignorance. She doesn't know those people. Regardless of what they did, it doesn't give her a right to be ignorant, not to mention racist. A little off subject I know, but I had to get that out there. Thanks litepink, for the well written response.

crazy W01f 816
11-10-2010, 07:40 PM
Truth: Fat people hate motion control.
Not true. I love motion control, when it's done right.

NCGrimbo
11-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Not true. I love motion control, when it's done right.
True here also. Us fat peeps need Kinect to get our exercises in. :woop:

It's funny (from my point of view) to read threads like this one on what I see as a more hard core gamer site. Most of the people on here are more concerned with getting all 1000 points seeing how this is a web site that tells you what achievements are available in the games. The Kinect wasn't built for to replace the controler and it never will until it is able to distingush the fingers on your hand from your hand itself. Maybe in 5 or 10 years the technology for replacing the control will be available via motion control. I read several post here and on other hard core gamer sites that complain about not being able to use the Kinect to play the latest FPS. Well, that's not what the Kinect was designed for. It was designed to try to being the Wii's success in motion gaming to the XBox360 and it is starting to. Yes, the first chunk of games will be copies of Wii games with little if any improvements, but I suspect that as the programmers get more familar with Kinect, more games will have some if not all Kinect features incorporated. Imagine a game of Skeet. You stand "holding" a shotgun, one hand on the trigger and one of the grip under the barrel. You say "Pull" and the skeet started flying across your TV. You pivot to aim your shotgun and then say "Fire" and the gun goes off in the game. And at this point, if it's like real life, you miss and then get ready for the next pigeon. :) That's what I see in Kinect near term future.

TUSCANreborn
11-10-2010, 09:59 PM
About 20 years ago I'd have thought any game that wasn't side scrolling was going to fail. Now look at the games we play. I've had my Kinect on for 2 hours now and the wife and I haven't done anything else.

You need to step back for a minute and look at this release from a business point of view. Microsoft have released the Kinect near christmas with a lot of family games, how is this anything but clever? At the end of the day its money that drives and pays for companies to produce games. The more houses with these in the more money will be put into future games. Again look at the standard of the release 360 games compare to nowadays. "Hardcore" gamers will say that it'll not give you the control you're use to but I'm sitting here and everything I do this thing picks up. I turn my head and my avatar turns his (quicker way of turning in CoD maybe?) I smack a ball and depending on the speed of my arm it flies off into the game (force push maybe in a Star Wars game?). All I'm trying to say is that just because YOU can't see this tech working in games don't think other people can't. Hey thats why they're the programmers and we're the gamers. :)

I do hope everyone even the harshest of critics has a go and enjoys it, you'll be surprised how much a computer game satisfies you without the need to shoot someone in the head.

AltruismIsDead
11-11-2010, 01:11 AM
Wow, litepink pretty much nailed it on the head, slammed a home run on that one.

Anyways, I definitely agree, seems like most of the hate is coming from non-owners, or PS3 fanboys.

And for those who think that all the games are simplistic, or lack real depth, I can tell these people probably weren't playing games on the Atari 2600 or NES. Hell, you can play Two Worlds, Infernal or Deadly Premonition (or add whatever crappy game) on the 360 with a controller, it probably has more depth and better graphics then some Kinect games, doesn't mean you'll enjoy it or have fun.

When it comes to gaming, I'll play anything that is fun and enjoyable. I've learned long ago not to hate on stuff before I play it.

Dz06lt
11-11-2010, 01:55 AM
Not true. Evolution happens in everything. Especially in technology, so why not gaming? While this type of play might not appeal to you, it has the potential for great success, and is one of the biggest breakthroughs in gaming to date in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my controller as well. Coming home from a long, hard day at work I don't want to stand up and play all my games. So I think they should always have a secondary "controller" option. But this by no means should cancel out what Kinect delivers, which is physical interaction between the player and the game. Not just a bunch of button mashing.

breakthough, nope wii already did it, and its shit. Try to play a shooter or platformer on wii and you will see how bad this is. Someday this kinda tech may revolitionze PC navagation/use(minority report) Its doing nothing good in any way for gaming

kaleido42
11-11-2010, 05:01 AM
breakthough, nope wii already did it, and its shit. Try to play a shooter or platformer on wii and you will see how bad this is. Someday this kinda tech may revolitionze PC navagation/use(minority report) Its doing nothing good in any way for gaming

I mean absolutely no offense to you what-so ever, but please take a moment to read what some of the other people in the thread are saying before making a reply. Having read this whole thread, (almost) no one here stated that kinect should support shooters (nor do I personally believe that it should). I frankly could care less as to whether or not you agree with motion gaming, but I do ask that you at least try the product before you go into a thread bashing everyone for enjoying what has turned out to be a rather fun and engaging new form of entertainment.

Like litepink said, a real gamer should at least be open minded about new things and give them a try. Even if you don't like them after trying them, please don't start ridiculing everyone else for trying something new/different and actually liking it.

EDIT: and please, don't compare this in anyway to the Wii. Kinect is in no way similar to the wii.

For everyone not hating on kinect, found an interesting article via Major Nelson's twitter:
http://www.gamingnexus.com/FullNews/I-think-Kinect-is-OK2c-but-its-the-best-24150-I-spent-on-a-console/Item20369.aspx

TakahashiDemon
11-11-2010, 02:36 PM
I'm a gamer, not casual at all, and I play Kinect mainly to have fun which is what all gamers should want out of their games (and if you dont.. then why you play games then? if you're not having fun with something you would obviously quit it), its way better than the Wii/Eyetoy any other motion devices, Kinect Adventures makes you feel really involved with the game.. more so than what I've felt in any other game.

Bill 777
11-11-2010, 11:38 PM
I'm not concered that Kinect isn't the end-all for shooters much the same way my driving simulater doesn't do shooters. (Except maybe Cart racing) I have fun with both of them and that is what gaming is all about.

I've been gaming since the pre-Atari days and I get bored playing with my thumbs. The Wii/Move/Kinect brings me back to the joy and wonder I had playing my early video games.

I still play thumb-based games but not necessarily the latest and greatest ones. They just don't excite me as much as moving the bigger muscles in my body to play a game and that is what motion control does for me.

Dz06lt
11-12-2010, 02:01 AM
I mean absolutely no offense to you what-so ever, but please take a moment to read what some of the other people in the thread are saying before making a reply. Having read this whole thread, (almost) no one here stated that kinect should support shooters (nor do I personally believe that it should). I frankly could care less as to whether or not you agree with motion gaming, but I do ask that you at least try the product before you go into a thread bashing everyone for enjoying what has turned out to be a rather fun and engaging new form of entertainment.

Like litepink said, a real gamer should at least be open minded about new things and give them a try. Even if you don't like them after trying them, please don't start ridiculing everyone else for trying something new/different and actually liking it.

EDIT: and please, don't compare this in anyway to the Wii. Kinect is in no way similar to the wii.

For everyone not hating on kinect, found an interesting article via Major Nelson's twitter:
http://www.gamingnexus.com/FullNews/I-think-Kinect-is-OK2c-but-its-the-best-24150-I-spent-on-a-console/Item20369.aspx

I dont need to read an entire thread to respond to 1 post, i dont care about anyone elses opinion. Anid when something is basically ruining gaming with crap and shovelware. This is exactly what you are getting with this product more bullshit shoevelware only 2 of the game for the console are recieving positive reviews and that is likley to continue.

On and this isnt suppose to be compared to wii?????
WiiSports --- Kinect Sports
Just Dance --- Dance Central
Punch out --- Fighters uncaged

MS completely redesigned the the dash so its basically Wii HD.

Exhausted Dad
11-12-2010, 02:24 AM
I never thought I would be getting Kinect so soon to launch but I have :p. Anyone that compares this to a Wii has not played it, Kinect is literally miles ahead of the wii, being able to slightly turn my foot and hit a ball with my ankle in Rallyball never ceases to amaze. It is really good out the gate and given a little time I think it will dominate motion gaming.

Tokin White Guy
11-12-2010, 03:33 AM
Personally I think Kinect is epic. It's a lot different then I had expected but it works perfectly fine. I live on the 3rd floor of an apartment building and my living room isn't all that large, but somehow it manages to give me a relatively flawless experience every time. This peripheral doesn't have to be the "end" of gaming, it's really the future, we're all really saying the same thing, Kinect is cool and all but we all want to have a controller still.

Truth is, the controller is never going to go away because there's always gonna be people who want to use them, like me for instance. I jump around my living room with my girlfriend like a jackass for 2-3 hours, I got a good workout and I had some laughs. Then I wanna sit down and maybe play some Halo: Reach or even Peggle to relax. If you ask me it's the perfect thing, I think like others have said, they know what they're doing and everything will be juuust fine. Game on.

kaleido42
11-12-2010, 04:50 AM
I dont need to read an entire thread to respond to 1 post, i dont care about anyone elses opinion. Anid when something is basically ruining gaming with crap and shovelware. This is exactly what you are getting with this product more bullshit shoevelware only 2 of the game for the console are recieving positive reviews and that is likley to continue.

On and this isnt suppose to be compared to wii?????
WiiSports --- Kinect Sports
Just Dance --- Dance Central
Punch out --- Fighters uncaged

MS completely redesigned the the dash so its basically Wii HD.

I'm not going to argue with you that they're trying to be like the wii and take their audience, there's no use denying that. All that I'm asking is that you at least try it before you come into a thread trying to argue with everyone that has played it and actually likes it. Just to be clear, dance central is nothing like any other dancing game that has yet been made. Check with anyone that's played it, it's amazing. And I would hardly call the current kinect line up shovel ware. I wouldn't call any of the games triple A titles, or even A titles (except dance central, again, its amazing), but its certainly not shovel ware. Up till now I've played 7 kinect games and the only one I would call crap was motion sports. Compare it with the amount of real crap that's been pushed on the wii, there's a significant difference. Again, even if you're going to be too ignorant to give something new a chance before making a decision about it doesn't mean you have to criticize everyone else for liking it. /discussion

v_thorne
11-12-2010, 06:45 AM

I bought a Wii at launch at played CoD3 for it. I found it fun.

Though with the Wii, the funny thing is... you still use controllers. That are motion sensetive.

With the Kinect, you use your body. No gimmick controllers. So no, the Wii didn't already do it.

litepink
11-12-2010, 09:37 AM
I think people are missing the point (some in this thread, but mostly in troll comments on the main page). You don't have to choose between one or the other. With Xbox 360, choose both! Choose your controller like you always have for Call of Duty, Battlefield, Medal of Honor, Fable, Red Dead Redemption, Mass Effect.

Now, for an alternate experience, choose Kinect where you jump, duck, side-step, pose, swat and more to earn medals in Adventures, dance along to amazing body detection in Dance Central, enjoy a sports collection better than the Wii with Kinect Sports. Along the way get a good belly laugh at your friends and family when the game replays their actions afterwards. Along the way you'll get some achievements and a workout.

Someone mentioned the games as "laid back". They are not, they are quite tiring. If you are going for achievements, then Sports, Adventures, and Dance Central are quite difficult in my opinion. Sure, they are laid back in the sense that it isn't intense gun firing Xbox Live multiplayer, but don't let the rent-a-family game art fool you, there is challenge to be had with Kinect.

I can't think of anything else to explain it. While playing Kinect, I experience moments of joy. Lots of them. I don't care that Kinect can't duplicate the actions of firing a gun and throwing grenades while going prone and reloading and strafing. They are different but both are fun.

I just think if more people actual played Kinect, they would smile, laugh, have fun. You don't have to throw away your controller, you don't have to look like [too much] of a buffoon (that's part of the fun however), you don't have to stop playing Call of Duty, or throw away any of your other shooters/RPG's/action games, you don't have to start wearing a diaper or a dress, Microsoft isn't going to replace all their titles with Kinect games...

and so on and so on...

Dz06lt
11-13-2010, 03:08 AM
I'm not going to argue with you that they're trying to be like the wii and take their audience, there's no use denying that. All that I'm asking is that you at least try it before you come into a thread trying to argue with everyone that has played it and actually likes it. Just to be clear, dance central is nothing like any other dancing game that has yet been made. Check with anyone that's played it, it's amazing. And I would hardly call the current kinect line up shovel ware. I wouldn't call any of the games triple A titles, or even A titles (except dance central, again, its amazing), but its certainly not shovel ware. Up till now I've played 7 kinect games and the only one I would call crap was motion sports. Compare it with the amount of real crap that's been pushed on the wii, there's a significant difference. Again, even if you're going to be too ignorant to give something new a chance before making a decision about it doesn't mean you have to criticize everyone else for liking it. /discussion

the reviewers would disagree with you, Only 2 games are getting over 7's thats shovelware pal. And Im entitled to my own opinion. You beleive there is a difference because you want to.

I bought a Wii at launch at played CoD3 for it. I found it fun.

Though with the Wii, the funny thing is... you still use controllers. That are motion sensetive.

With the Kinect, you use your body. No gimmick controllers. So no, the Wii didn't already do it.

And you dont think that a gimmick??? HA keep drinkin the coolaid people. Im done.

tehapoc
11-13-2010, 03:34 AM
I've had more fun playing any Kinect game than any Call of Duty game.

Gelber
11-13-2010, 04:05 AM
I don't think Kinect will ever offer anything worth me dropping the $200+ for it and some games. It'll just be like the wii where you play it for a couple weeks and then it gets stuck in the attic only to be pulled out during holidays when the family is around.

kaleido42
11-13-2010, 04:09 AM
And Im entitled to my own opinion.

http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI/223/1672/PreviewComp/SuperStock_1672R-11707.jpg

Never said you weren't entitled to an opinion. As far as I'm concerned, you're entitled to just as much of an opinion as everyone else here. All that I've been saying, over and over again, is that I think its stupid that you come in here having never tried it trying to make everyone that has tried it sound stupid.

taking a quick look at kinect reviews here:
Kinect Adventures (remember, it's free): 50
Kinect Sports = 70
Kinectimals = 80
Joy Ride = 30
Your Shape: Fitness Evolved = 85
Dance Central = 88
Fighters Uncaged = 20

I'll admit, half of its crap (although I disagree with Kinect Adventures score, I'd say closer to a 70), thing is, you get that on any console you buy. Take a look at reviews for 360 games in general. Over half of them are under 80%, about 1/3rd of them are under 70%. If you're going to say that most kinect games are shovelware then you may as well say the same thing about 360 games in general.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/reviews/scoreDESC/

Have a terrific day!:D

Capn Doug
11-13-2010, 05:42 PM
After getting a chance to really dig into Kinect, I can say that almost every fear that most people have about Kinect and what it represents is completely unfounded. It will not replace the controller, merely enhance it. If a game has a lot of roaming movement, like Call of Duty, GTA, Mass Effect, etc, it will always require a controller, simply because any movement mechanic on that level will not work on Kinect (and feel natural the way it does on more stationary games like Dance Central or Kinect Sports). What you might find, and I hope this is the case, is that Kinect will be used to enhance the game, such as allowing you to tell your allies to fall back instead of pressing the DPad, or allowing you to respond to a character as opposed to selecting an option from the list and pressing A.

Second, Kinect puts things back from being 4 players on the console to being 2 on the console, since the amount of space required for the camera to track 4 people would be immense. So on any very multiplayer game, you will still want the controller.

Third, and this is the big one, you can't play for long periods of time. I am not in bad shape, though definitely not an athlete, and I could barely stand after two hours of Dance Central. Any game that tries to immerse you in the game such that you don't see that clock ticking past 5am (damn you, Oblivion) will not work on Kinect. There is next to no possibility of having an Endless Setlist on Dance Central, since a lot of gamers would not have that kind of stamina.

It is all marketing, and it is doing its job brilliantly. It is so exposed that the hardcore gamers feel that every game will use Kinect now, despite the fact that even the Wii gives you a regular controller for a bunch of games. It is so easy to use and so accessible that the hardcore gamers fear they will lose their edge. Or maybe just that their girlfriend will want to play too instead of making them a sammich.

[Waggly Bean]
11-13-2010, 05:59 PM
I'll admit I wasn't interested in Kinect to begin with, but now it's out I do want to give it a go and I probably will get one, although the price is currently a bit steep.

As has been said, it's just different. So long as we continue to get great controller-based games alongside these new kinect-based games, we should all be happy. Kinect-haters can ignore it, and everyone else can just pick and choose between the best of both worlds. :)

litepink
11-14-2010, 09:24 AM
Reviews? Screw them! I admit that I saw 50/100 for Kinect Adventures and was a bit troubled, but now I have the game and I'm happy and having fun so who cares if it's a 0/100 or 100/100.

I had a blast with this game ages ago and it was called the "worst game of the year" [citation needed] for that year:

[edit: my picture of "Courier Crisis" went away...]

Here's the IGN Review. 3/10. (http://psx.ign.com/articles/152/152036p1.html) Not saying that Kinect Adventures is bad, just making an extreme example of how score doesn't matter if you're having fun.

Lord WarLion
11-14-2010, 06:27 PM
I'm already having fun with "Casual-Games" like Kinect Adventures and im really not a pure "Core-Gamer" so I'm thinking: "If im having fun with a game like Adventures, how much will i have with more "serious" games" ;)

tengearbatbike
11-14-2010, 07:30 PM
So, is it any good then?

paperbard
11-17-2010, 06:42 PM

I agree. Let Kinect stay for those people who aren't gamers, and don't waste your time trying to use this buggy technology for real games.

Kramericus
11-20-2010, 06:58 PM
I agree. Let Kinect stay for those people who aren't gamers, and don't waste your time trying to use this buggy technology for real games. Id also like to add to my original point. I dont mind if it goes to the "real" games as some sort of optional little alternative style of play, I just dont want them to try to force a game into it. Basically if we saw mario kart situations where its an optional control scheme go for it, if we see mario galaxy situations where its a forced part of the game fuck that. I always think it will work best for the type of games its currently focused on, but if they really want to put it on the "hardcore" games I just want it to remain and optional thing.

Mr Achievement
11-26-2010, 10:00 AM
I am noticing a theme as I read through the posts in this thread.. The Kinect Supporters have all used the technology have taken the time to put together well thought out posts which include examples and experiences. The Kinect Detractors all rely on "I don't want/like it", "It can't work for this" and rely heavily on Reviews written by others. I have yet to read a post from a person with experience with the Kinect that dismisses the Tech as a whole and feels it has no place in the Gaming World.

Also, I need to point out that I think the reason that most so-called-"Gamers" are scared of the Kinect because they see that the Youth (under 13 in this case) see Motion Gaming as the future and want as much of it as the Gaming Industry can put out (up to and) including feature titles being Motion based. Most children are looking at the possibilities and see controllers as a repetitive and uninvolved way to passively experience a game. If you don't believe me, you don't have kids in your home that are making their own gaming choices as you shovelware your choices down their throat.

For me, Kinect has been a great addition to my gaming experience and I see I very bright future for it. I went into this whole thing rolling my eyes and explaining to my wife that it would be another let down in a long line of failed Motion Gaming Experiences... I was wrong. (See, it wasn't that hard. Even for me, a Gamer! I can admit I was wrong!)

In fact, I am even upset by the Title of this Thread. Who are you to say what a Gamer is? If a person plays and enjoys a Game then they are a Gamer. You don't have to hold a Controller to play a PC Game. You don't need a keyboard to play Card Games. They don't put Xbox Controllers on Arcade Machines. Gamers are people that enjoy playing GAMES. It isn't Kinect vs Gamers, it is Uninformed Opinions Vs Kinect.

Tufty
11-26-2010, 01:41 PM
Back when it was announced in '09 I couldn't wait, but then I feared that it would take over controller based gaming forever, and started to hate the idea. Since trying it out, my opinion of it has changed completely, I love Kinect and I can't wait to get it. Though, I don't want it to take over controllers, I would like to see games being made for both Xbox 360 and Kinect. Yes, I class them as two different platforms, so don't try to correct me.

Mr Achievement
11-26-2010, 04:13 PM
Tufty, do you post under a different name in addition to this one? I don't see you anywhere in this thread before now. I don't even really see where I tried to correct anyone else for that matter... I do see me putting my interpretation of the posts before me but I didn't directly correct anyone. If anything I would say that until you tried to dig at me you were headed down the same path as me... separating them into their own type of gaming and seeing that they each have their own place in the gaming world.

I would also like to say that when Capn Doug made his post he explained the weaknesses of Kinect and easily showed how and why controllers will always hold their completely necessary place in the Gaming World.

My point was that Motion Games are what kids want. Those kids will grow up and want more mature ways to game instead of constantly having to stand up and move/jump for everything they want to accomplish... and I don't blame them. I would HATE to have invested the time I have on Halo: Reach (totaling over 13 days (http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/default.aspx?player=Mr%20Achievement)) on my feet... but at the same time as they grow up there will be new infants turning into kids.

Tufty
11-26-2010, 05:41 PM
Tufty, do you post under a different name in addition to this one? I don't see you anywhere in this thread before now. I don't even really see where I tried to correct anyone else for that matter... I do see me putting my interpretation of the posts before me but I didn't directly correct anyone. If anything I would say that until you tried to dig at me you were headed down the same path as me... separating them into their own type of gaming and seeing that they each have their own place in the gaming world.

I would also like to say that when Capn Doug made his post he explained the weaknesses of Kinect and easily showed how and why controllers will always hold their completely necessary place in the Gaming World.

My point was that Motion Games are what kids want. Those kids will grow up and want more mature ways to game instead of constantly having to stand up and move/jump for everything they want to accomplish... and I don't blame them. I would HATE to have invested the time I have on Halo: Reach (totaling over 13 days (http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/default.aspx?player=Mr%20Achievement)) on my feet... but at the same time as they grow up there will be new infants turning into kids.

Sorry, I didn't mean to quote you, I must have clicked it by mistake. All fixed now. :) Also, no I've had the same name since I signed up to the site.

Capn Doug
11-26-2010, 05:52 PM
My ears are burning...

I want to give one more example of why there will always be a place for controllers in gaming. I am currently recovering from a workplace accident that makes standing, heavy movement, etc, very difficulty. Turns out my ankle isn't broken, just badly sprained, but the result is the same: I can't play Kinect without risking reinjury. As a result, I have gone back to playing controller only and will do so for the next week or two.

Kinect is a different beast than the Wii or (probably) the Move, in that it requires much more movement. You can play any Wii game sitting down using small movements, so I could still play a Wii game (though at less entertainment value), but Kinect is nearly impossible. Anyone with mobility issues, temporary or permentant, would be left out if there is a complete shift to motion control the way Kinect does it, so, to reiterate, it is unlikely that motion control will ever completely replace the controller.

AeonStrife
11-26-2010, 07:17 PM
What is the level of movement needed or involved in the kinetic? Seems like an interesting controller idea but as a wounded soldier with limited mobility in my right arm I am wondering if it would be worth it to get and whether I will be able to use it or are there enough quality kids games to justify getting it for my two daughters?

Mr Achievement
11-26-2010, 07:57 PM
Capn Doug, you are absolutely correct and have explained awesome examples that I may be guilty of plagiarizing as I have this conversation well into the future... because lets be honest, Motion Gaming is staying and there will always be people who hate it! Controller-based gaming will (and should always) live on. Kinect should not and will not eliminate any other type of gaming. It has just carved into Motion Gaming and in my opinion finally gave it a fun option for my family. =)

Tufty, sorry that my post is so wordy, it is a flaw I have on Forums but with the internet being so black and white I often find it hard to say anything without saying too much. =)

AeonStrife, I can't say exactly whether or not your limitations would ruin Kinect for you. I will admit that many of the games require good mobility and it is likely you won't be able to enjoy all the games that are available. I don't know for sure and hope that you have a chance to demo it (my Gamestop has one set up) before making the investment since even moving through the dashboard requires both arms and it is definitely right-hand biased as my left handed son has demonstrated over and over. Although, the games I have had a chance to play that require a throwing motion have asked which hand you want to use. Your daughters will enjoy pretty much every title that is out and my guess is that there will only be more and more fun for the young ones as newer titles release. My opinion is that Kinect is aimed at high energy people that are looking to kill some energy while enjoying a video game. Hope that helps a little... others will be able to hit on points I missed. =)

Capn Doug
11-26-2010, 08:11 PM
What is the level of movement needed or involved in the kinetic? Seems like an interesting controller idea but as a wounded soldier with limited mobility in my right arm I am wondering if it would be worth it to get and whether I will be able to use it or are there enough quality kids games to justify getting it for my two daughters?

Most of the games that i have played, are fine using either the left or right hand (I am functionally ambidextrous, so that is awesome), so a few games would be fine for you, depending on your level of mobility. Even with my ankle, there are some game modes that I could play, but rest is better, right now. There are definitely games your daughters would enjoy as well, depending on their ages. Kinectimals would be a hoot for younger kids, as I understand, and Dance Central is only an issue in terms of lyrics.

Capn Doug, you are absolutely correct and have explained awesome examples that I may be guilty of plagiarizing as I have this conversation well into the future... because lets be honest, Motion Gaming is staying and there will always be people who hate it! Controller-based gaming will (and should always) live on. Kinect should not and will not eliminate any other type of gaming. It has just carved into Motion Gaming and in my opinion finally gave it a fun option for my family. =)

Plagerism is no problem, so long as I am identified as some crazy guy on the internet. And yeah, motion control isn't going anywhere, it just finally works to the level that it is easily and conveniently accessable. But the controller isn't going anywhere either. Just look how many people get USB keyboards and mice for their iPads.

DarthSoth
11-26-2010, 10:38 PM
I just don't get how some gamers have gotten the impression that Kinect will ruin all gaming. It just baffles me when I hear people say stuff like that. Pretty sure that Microsoft isn't going to be abandoning their bread and butter anytime soon. The kinect just gives them the freedom to go after that market that sold Nintendo a boatload of systems. Funny thing is that Nindendo hasn't sold much of anything else. They enticed all the casuals that bought the system and then like 2 games and nothing else, ever again. MS and Sony on the otherhand have been selling games hand over fist in comparison. And the great thing is is that with the 360 I don't have to suffer through subpar control with normal games like I do on the Wii. There is already a kick ass controller and games that cater to it. The Kinect is and add on.

I love gaming period. and I have been having and will have a blast with the 3-6 Kinect games I expect to buy every year. But I really don't see kinect having much of an effect on the 20+ regular games I normally buy every year though. Kinect has just added that extra level of gaming. And I really look forward to the 2nd and 3rd generation games that will be coming out on the kinect.

CornPopped
12-17-2010, 01:16 AM
First off, let me say that the idea behind the Kinect, (motion recognition of human bodies vs. a controller you move) is quite an intriguing one. It seems like Microsoft has leaped to next level of gaming ahead of Nintendo and Sony. (Srsly, Sony? Make a controller that acts like a Wii controller but looks like a vibration device?)

Unfortunately, there is a litany of video game peripherals that were considered futuristic but bombed due to glitches and whatnot. http://www.cracked.com/article_18391_8-horribly-misguided-futuristic-video-game-controllers.html

One hopes the Kinect does not end up on this list in 5 years, because it is a good idea.

Personally, I have tried the Kinect a few times, (do not own), and I am not all that enamored with it. Now I realize that there are only a very select few titles available and it just came out and blah blah blah, but I do not find it as engaging as other games, and I am not sure if it ever will become so. I don't necessarily play video games to work harder than I do at work.

While I have decided to save my final judgment for when I play an actual sports title with Kinect, (seriously, NFL or NBA on Kinect? I could get down with that), I am not impressed.