View Full Version : rock bands similar to old gods of asgard?
Vanilla Coke Zero
11-10-2010, 03:33 AM
i know this is a weird and random topic, but i grew up listening to hip hop/rap instead of rock, but after listening to some of the songs in alan wake, i want to really listen to some old school rock songs. "lady of the light" is a pretty bad ass song. any old school rock bands that make similar music?
11-10-2010, 05:38 AM
Well I go back a long way so I'm going to suggest Deep Purple and also Rainbow which was the band that Ritchie Blackmore formed after he left Purple. Especially the early Rainbow while Ronnie James Dio was still lead vocalist. You could also try some of the more epic Led Zeppelin tracks like Kashmir (my personal favourite) and Houses of the Holy, tracks that will take you beyond the overplayed but still great Stairway to Heaven.
Actually I think the music in AW doesn't get mentioned enough. There were some inspired and fitting choices such as Roy Orbison during and at the end of chapter one and using David Bowie for the end credits was just brilliant and literally a jaw-dropping moment for me.
11-10-2010, 06:23 AM
Look up Viking Metal and you'll find a whole new universe.
Vanilla Coke Zero
11-10-2010, 03:20 PM
thanks guys, i will check these bands out :)
any albums in particular i should check out first?
01-20-2011, 05:29 PM
I'm not too familiar with the previously mentioned four bands, but from what I've heard of Eluvietie, you can't go wrong. It's all absolutely fantastic.
If you like the music from Alan Wake (Children of the Elder God, Poet and the Muse, and War), you should check out Poets of the Fall. They're the real-life band that performs as Old Gods of Asgard in-game. Some very powerful songs with very meaningful lyrics. I'd reccommend checking out specific songs first, not just albums:
'Carnival of Rust"
"Diamonds for Tears"
02-17-2011, 01:55 AM
Poets of the Fall - the real-life Finnish band that play the Old Gods of Asgard songs - are amazing: a previous poster has recommended some good songs by them. They're certainly not in the same genre as the OGoA songs, but great in their own right.
The Children of the Elder God song by OGoA reminds me so much of Ozzy Osbourne's vocals, and Zakk Wylde's guitar playing. Definitely check out some of Ozzy's solo stuff with Wylde on guitar if you like the OGoA sound.
02-17-2011, 02:18 AM
Lol so I see it's been said that Old Gods of Asgard is actually Poets of the Fall (which is an awesome band with a totally badass name lol). I'd advise looking up some of their stuff, though the song war from Alan Wake is actually my favorite one of their songs thus far. But if you're looking for some good bands then I have a few suggestions.
1. Manowar. They are as heavy metal as it gets but are still understanable. Some really good songs by them are "Dawn of Battle" "Die for Metal" "The Gods Made Heavy Metal" "Warriors of the World" and "Hymn of the Immortal Warriors."
2. I saw this in a previous post but definitely check out some Ozzy Osbourne and Black Sabbath. Some good Ozzy songs are "Crazy Train" "Mister Crowley" and "Believer". Some good Black Sabbath songs are "War Pigs" "Iron Man" "The Wizard" "Never Say Die" and "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath"
3. Now, I'm weird but I love Breaking Benjamin. Probably my favorite band of all time. Any of their stuff is good. Some of the best is "Evil Angel" "Dear Agony" "Firefly" "Unknown Soldier" and "Anthem of the Angels"
4. And then, who can love Breaking Benjamin and not love Three Days Grace. TDG is the first rock band I ever really got into, and I think they're awesome. Some good songs are "World So Cold" "Never Too Late" "Animal I Have Become" "Take Me Under" "Break" and "Time of Dying"
5. This will be my last suggestion since I've already taken the liberty of suggesting so much. This is a band that is not very well known. but I think is completely awesome. They're called The Veer Union and you should look up "Seasons" "Over Me" "Another World Away" and "Falling Apart" on youtube 'cause I made the videos for them. threevisionsgodpark lol
vBulletin® v3.8.7 Beta 1, Copyright ©2000-2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.