PDA

View Full Version : Wiring / Mounting questions

nfntjy
11-11-2010, 08:00 AM
Couple of question I have before I can consider getting one of these:

1. Is it possible to extend the connection in any way without screwing up the signal (USB, cat5, etc)? My TV is about 35 feet (cable length) from my 360. Also, the Kinect uses its own power source, right?

2. Is there an "optimal" height to set this up at? I read everyone saying put it on top of your TV. That would not be possible. My TV is mounted on a wall above a fireplace mantle. The top of the TV touches the ceiling (8') and the bottom touches the mantle (5'). I could put it on top of the mantle (under the TV), but this seems very high. Would I need to put it lower?

Thanks!

Mr Wafu
11-11-2010, 11:31 AM
Yeah, Kinect has its own powersupply (though you can go via the 360 if you have an S).

I can imagine 5" would be fine, since it has the motor that lets it adjust where it's looking. I mean, that's the same as sitting on top of a TV in someone else's room...

kaleido42
11-11-2010, 03:48 PM
1. I would think that if you went to an electronics store and bought a usb extender cable that it should work, but I don't know for sure. As for the power supply, Mr. Wafu pretty much covered it. Have an old 360, separate power supply, new 360, no separate power supply (one cord to the 360 is all you need).

2. Putting it on top of your tv is supposed to (or so I hear) give you an extra foot or two of space if that's something you're lacking in your room. Either way, the sensor has to be between 2 and 6 feet, and its best to be as close as possible to either 2 or 6 feet. To help people get it as close as possible to either position, microsoft made mention (in the kinect instruction manual) of both a mount to put it on your tv and a stand to prop it 2 feet above the floor.

nfntjy
11-11-2010, 06:45 PM
thanks both of you for the information :)