PDA

View Full Version : Viacom sells Harmonix. EA or Activison likely to aquire studio

Elit3 m0nkey
11-11-2010, 09:04 PM
Viacom has announced that they are selling Harmonix due to the high cost of making the peripheral controllers.

Today is the day that the music died for media conglomerate Viacom. The company recently announced plans to sell its Rock Band development studio Harmonix.

...the high cost of producing the Rock Band instrument peripheral controllers contributed to a $65 million loss last quarter.

Of course both Electronic Arts and Activision are on the short stick of possible buyers.

Electronic Arts is on the short list of suspects as a potential buyer for Harmonix. The publisher distributed the first three Rock Band titles as well as The Beatles Rock Band. But some analysts suspect that Harmonix would be a better fit for Activision. “We speculated several weeks ago that, given the declines in the music genre, it would make sense to (re)combine the Guitar Hero and Rock Band franchises, thus we believe Activision Blizzard is a potential buyer,” said Cowen & Company analyst Doug Creutz to GI.biz.

Full Story: Gamesradar (http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/rock-band-3/news/viacom-to-sell-harmonix-activision-or-ea-expected-to-acquire-rock-band-developer/a-20101111113736282093/g-2010030911455750017)

Jester0700
11-11-2010, 09:21 PM
Id prefer EA to buy Harmonix instead of Activison. I don`t want to see six rushed games out in 2011 with the Rock Band name on the cover next year. Competition is good for a product anyways, keep the two main music titles seperate. But as long as the dlc countinues then that will be good. It might be harder to get big name bands in terms of dlc though in the future.

mikachu93
11-11-2010, 10:44 PM
Madcatz makes the peripherals, though...

Regardless, I have a bad feeling about an Activision-Harmonix game.

Elit3 m0nkey
11-11-2010, 10:55 PM
Madcatz makes the peripherals, though...

Regardless, I have a bad feeling about an Activision-Harmonix game.

Well Harmonix did make the first 2 GH games but ya I think most people feel the same way. EA might be a different story as they have been turning around lately.

blurbia
11-11-2010, 11:30 PM
I would also throw Microsoft on the table. HMX and Microsoft have a good relationship with each other. Dance Central being the "Killer App" for Kinect, Beatles domination at last years MSFT E3 presentation, and finally, Rock Band 2 having an early release on the 360 2 years ago.

FiendishDoctrWu
11-12-2010, 12:00 AM
Microsoft is an interesting idea, if they bought Harmonix, I imagine Rock Band would become an Xbox exclusive.

Elit3 m0nkey
11-12-2010, 12:55 AM
Microsoft is an interesting idea, if they bought Harmonix, I imagine Rock Band would become an Xbox exclusive.

Considering we need more exclusives, I would not mind. Of course thousands of PS3 and Wii owners would.

Hero Of Acre
11-12-2010, 03:29 AM
We don't need more exclusives. What's it matter to you if PS3 and Wii users get it?

Anyways, I was thinking that Activision would at least consider this; what better way to get rid of the competition than to acquire the competition? On one hand it might end up meaning more DLC for GH and RB if they decide to make them cross compatible since both would be owned by the same company. On the other hand there would be a lack of competition. Even if they kept GH and RB seperate again Activision Blizzard would own both of them and as we all know a lack of competition makes things stale.

Elit3 m0nkey
11-12-2010, 04:21 AM
in terms of exclusives we don't have much. we got

Halo
Gear of War
Forza Motorsport
Fable
Left 2 Dead
Project Gotham Racing

And that is it. No need to mention what Nintendo has. Sony has plenty though.

Little Big Planet
Uncharted
Killzone
inFamous
Resistance
SOCOM
Motorstorm
Twisted Metal
Yakuza
Ratchet & Clank

These are series and that we have heard from lately or have recent releases.

TwistedFate
11-12-2010, 05:38 AM

Halo
Gear of War
Forza Motorsport
Fable
Left 2 Dead
Project Gotham Racing
Alan Wake
Crackdown
N3

Little Big Planet
Uncharted
Killzone
inFamous
Resistance
SOCOM
Motorstorm
Twisted Metal
Yakuza
Ratchet & Clank

Fixed it for you. There are a few more lesser known titles as well.

Kellwolf9E
11-12-2010, 05:51 AM
And I'm looking at the 360 exclusives remember why I bought a 360 over a PS3. Of the 360 stuff, I like all but Project Gotham. On the PS3, well, I like Little Big Planet and Uncharted, but that's about it. I got a blu-ray player for $100 a Best Buy. Don't really need a PS3. Besides, I guess you can add Dance Central, Kinectimals and all the other Kinect games to the 360 exclusives list, too.

As for who buys Harmonix, I'd prefer it not be Activision and their "rip off the consumer" corporate model. But honestly, as long as the DLC keeps rolling along with the compatibility, I'll be alright.

Shadowiii
11-12-2010, 06:29 AM

Halo
Gear of War
Forza Motorsport
Fable
Left 2 Dead
Project Gotham Racing
Alan Wake
Crackdown
N3
DEADLY PREMONITION

Little Big Planet
Uncharted
Killzone
inFamous
Resistance
SOCOM
Motorstorm
Twisted Metal
Yakuza
Ratchet & Clank

Come on man, don't forget the game of the year. :P

And I hope it's Microsoft or EA. If Activision buys them, I might literally throw a fit and then cry in a corner.

GrantM
11-12-2010, 06:30 AM
Doesn't EA publish RB in Europe anyway?

Hero Of Acre
11-12-2010, 06:34 AM

EA publishes Rock Band, but they don't own HMX.

Elit3 m0nkey
11-12-2010, 12:52 PM
For those adding titles, I meant game SERIES so I am not counting Alan Wake and Deadly Premonition since they have only one title, and likely getting a sequel.

EA publishes them because of an agreement with MTV Games through EA Partnerships

TwistedFate
11-12-2010, 02:24 PM
For those adding titles, I meant game SERIES so I am not counting Alan Wake and Deadly Premonition since they have only one title, and likely getting a sequel.

Why? Exclusivity is not limited to series, and excluding single titles doesn't accurately represent the situation..

The Nerevarine
11-12-2010, 05:17 PM
I hope Activision buys them.

Maybe then Bobby Kotick can fly Chad Smith and Danny Carey up to Boston and show those retards at Harmonix how to play the drums and fix their damn drum charts.

GH drums > RB "Pro" drums.

If not Activision, maybe Disney.

Dustinator
11-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Check ou this really good article from RockBandAide http://www.rockbandaide.com/9772/who-is-harmonixs-best-suitor/ Really good opinion piece of who (logically), could buy HMX.

My wild guess is that Activision(NOOOOOOOOOO) will buy them. They have the money and GH has failed while RB3 is a massive success with reviewers........Hell, Bungie worked out a deal with Activision, so why not HMX next?(shudder)

iruhlman
11-12-2010, 06:36 PM
(I know you meant series) but MS has a ton of games not on the PS3, especially RPG's.

This thread on the RB forums is a big one..
http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?208088-Response-to-Questions-about-Viacom-Selling-Harmonix

taken from page 1 from John Drake
Hi Guys:

We’ve seen a lot of questions pop up in response to Viacom's statements this morning regarding their intention to sell Harmonix. We’ve posted this thread to respond to those questions. Please keep your forum conversations regarding this matter in this thread. We’ll check in throughout the day as we’re able.

This morning’s announcement does not affect the ongoing work at the studio as we continue to support our existing franchises, Rock Band and Dance Central. As stated earlier, Viacom is in discussions with several potential buyers and will continue to fully support the business until a sale is completed.

If you have additional questions or concerns, please post them in this thread. If you’re a member of the media with inquiry, you can reach out to us at press@harmonixmusic.com (press@harmonixmusic.com). (Please don’t email this address if you’re not from a press outlet).

follow up

Regarding potential publishers, it’s premature to discuss specific publishers at this time, though we look forward to working with Viacom to find the best home for our studio. Please keep speculation about that to a minimum in this conversation.

Many of you have asked about DLC. To be clear, our earlier statement that we will continue to support our existing franchises holds true and work at the studio is not affected by this announcement. RB DLC will continue unabated. We’re excited to confirm that The BeeGees are our next DLC pack.

Some of you have been chiming in about our different partners and what this announcement means for [the Fender Squier/Mad Catz Hardware/EA Distribution]. Those partnerships are unaffected by this announcement with regards to existing titles.

Most importantly, the Rock Band and Dance Central will continue to be worked on at Harmonix for the foreseeable future. We’re not leaving them behind.

More to come!

Also Apples (HMX moderator) chimed in way later with just how close MS already is with the company. Didn't say they would buy them but with RBN, Dance Central, MS helping launch RB2 and the DLC store... they already have very good ties with them. I personally feel its between EA and MS moreso than Activision. I even think Apple could step in and marry HMX with itunes and all its licensing ties.

iruhlman
11-12-2010, 06:42 PM
and actually OP your headline is incorrect... Viacom isn't bailing on HMX because of high controller costs (yes sales are down 65 mil - kinda expected with 2 new games launching), they're leaving the video game business altogether because they don't have the "focus" at the company to keep going forward.

During a conference call with investors yesterday, Viacom chief executive Philippe Dauman said, “The console games business requires an expertise and scale that we don’t have.’’

also should note RB just hit 75 million downloads..

Elit3 m0nkey
11-12-2010, 10:02 PM
Check ou this really good article from RockBandAide http://www.rockbandaide.com/9772/who-is-harmonixs-best-suitor/ Really good opinion piece of who (logically), could buy HMX.

My wild guess is that Activision(NOOOOOOOOOO) will buy them. They have the money and GH has failed while RB3 is a massive success with reviewers........Hell, Bungie worked out a deal with Activision, so why not HMX next?(shudder)

I read the article and if Apple bought them, I would immediately sell my RB stuff. I hate Apple, only product I see that is truly unique and great are their iPod Touch since there are no other MP3s on the market like it. I would prefer Activision over Apple.:eek:

institutions
11-12-2010, 10:44 PM
Microsoft, EA, Apple.
I'd love MS or Apple to buy HMX. EA is decent too.

If Activision buys Harmonix, I will kill Kotick.

I get all the Activision hate, but why the Apple hate? Windows fanboys, or perhaps just angsty rebellious teens that don't like anything good? All of the few Apple products that I have owned (ipod nanos, classics, itouch, iphones, ihomes, chargers, etc) have been amazing quality and I wouldn't trade them for the world. Granted, I haven't owned an Apple computer yet or anything.

The Nerevarine
11-12-2010, 10:45 PM
I read the article and if Apple bought them, I would immediately sell my RB stuff. I hate Apple, only product I see that is truly unique and great are their iPod Touch since there are no other MP3s on the market like it. I would prefer Activision over Apple.:eek:
First of all Apple would never buy a video game company that makes plastic instruments, it's completely illogical and outside of their business practices. Apple buys chip manufacturers and high-level software tech, and that's about it.

Second, you sound pathetic with your "hate." Apple is a eco-friendly company and avoids buying materials from war-torn areas like the Congo, those two facts alone should be enough to redeem them for whatever stupid reasons you've come up with to "hate" the company and their products. Stop being a fanboy. Nobody likes a fanboy (or an anti-fanboy, it's the same thing).

Edit:

If Activision buys Harmonix, I will kill Kotick.

I get all the Activision hate, but why the Apple hate?
Again, except this one is oxymoronic. People who hate Activision, in my opinion, are as retarded as the ones that hate Apple. What, because they made a mistake here or there in the years and years they've been around? Because Bobby Kotick said something that was taken out of context? Let's put your life under the microscope and see how it stacks up, what do you say?

Fact is Activision is at the top of the industry because they've been kicking ass and (mostly) making good games over the years, and Bobby Kotick has been in charge all along.

Rock Band may have never existed if Activision didn't make that initial investment into Harmonix.

But I'm not apologizing for their mistakes, I just think it's heavily delusional to think they're evil or worthy of spending even a single minute of anger or resentment on. There are humans inside the walls of these companies, and humans are far from perfect. I don't know why people on the internet have such impossibly high expectations of other people and businesses.

TL;DR: Let's see you run a publically-traded video game company.

institutions
11-13-2010, 12:01 AM
Again, except this one is oxymoronic. People who hate Activision, in my opinion, are as retarded as the ones that hate Apple. What, because they made a mistake here or there in the years and years they've been around? Because Bobby Kotick said something that was taken out of context? Let's put your life under the microscope and see how it stacks up, what do you say?

Fact is Activision is at the top of the industry because they've been kicking ass and (mostly) making good games over the years, and Bobby Kotick has been in charge all along.

Rock Band may have never existed if Activision didn't make that initial investment into Harmonix.

But I'm not apologizing for their mistakes, I just think it's heavily delusional to think they're evil or worthy of spending even a single minute of anger or resentment on. There are humans inside the walls of these companies, and humans are far from perfect. I don't know why people on the internet have such impossibly high expectations of other people and businesses.

TL;DR: Let's see you run a publically-traded video game company.

No, not because they have made a mistake here and there over the years. It's because in recent years they have been many "mistakes" on purpose.
Activision used to be an awesome company and make a lot of nice games, until they realized that people will buy things with a certain name (Guitar Hero, Tony Hawk, Call of Duty) no matter how many they put out in a year and no matter how little changes there are from the last one. Recently they have been putting out the same games over and over with a different skin making VERY minor changes. Kotick is a great businessman and knows how to make money, but he's not exactly known for his undying love of the consumers.

I do realize that Rock Band may not be around if not for Activision, and for that I thank them.

I sure as hell wouldn't be able to run a successful video game company :P

The Nerevarine
11-13-2010, 01:16 AM
they realized that people will buy things with a certain name (Guitar Hero, Tony Hawk, Call of Duty) no matter how many they put out in a year and no matter how little changes there are from the last one.
... I buy most Guitar Hero games, not because I'm a sheep but because I enjoy playing them, and they're usually better than RB in my opinion. I hate the DLC model of Rock Band, I almost never play the songs I download outside of solo play (360+ DLC) because no one else downloads them. Rock Band's lack of a DLC playlist is fucking ignorant and stupid of Harmonix and creates a lot of headaches and quitting in matchmaking. The formula for Guitar Hero is fine for me, I don't need monumental changes or long delays between releases. Apparently, it's not just me, because others are buying them. Again, the internet's high standards that aren't shared among the majority of actual gamers/consumers.

Kotick is a great businessman and knows how to make money, but he's not exactly known for his undying love of the consumers.
He seems to be pretty earnestly trying to earn consumer trust despite all the young children and angry teenagers spamming the internet with hate speech about the guy. Donating to charity, doing interviews, listening to gamer feedback... just because he's not taking your feedback doesn't mean he's not taking any. By keeping the company above water he creates the resources to make things like Rock Band/GH to happen in the first place, and sometimes you have to peddle some shit to make up for lost money on a big gamble, give and take... running a business is hard work, especially when you're on top. Give the guy a break.

And further, he's just the CEO of the publisher. The developers are to blame for the shitty games like Tony Hawk Ride and Guitar Hero 6. But you can't just fire the developers and take away their benefits and 401ks for fucking up a game or two and making bad decisions, they have families to feed and they're still competent programmers with qualifying career skills. Perhaps if you "took the fun out of making video games" these jerks at Neversoft would stop goofing off and start play-testing their games; but dare a CEO of a company to suggest the workers stop messing about, less he'll become the center of attention in the video game blogosphere! Wouldn't want the children of the world, who have never worked a day in their life, to think making good video games might actually be hard work.

You need talent to make good games, and the world is always starved for talent. None of that has anything to do with Kotick.

iruhlman
11-13-2010, 01:39 AM
no one downloads them? wow bro.... lmao

guess this website http://dlcquickplay.com/ is just for shits and giggles then and also guess its the PS3 & Wii community holding all the 75 million downloaded songs.

Kellwolf9E
11-13-2010, 01:50 AM
Interesting. I played with three or four guys last night doing DLC only. It's easy. Back button, sort showing DLC only. There's your DLC playlist. It's there. You just have to know where.

I don't like Activision because of their corporate stance on their products (seriously ANOTHER Tony Hawk....WITH A NEW SKATEBOARD??!?) and how they exploit developers with loopholes (Infinity Ward). Let's face it, Guitar Hero:Van Halen was crap, and Activision knew it. They just didn't care as long as people bought it, and it passed the "break even" point on a profit/loss graph. Since it had the words 'Guitar Hero' in the title, they knew it would. Hence the reason they didn't change the name of the franchise when it went to a band format. They tried with "Band Hero," but they're right back to the old formula.

I'm not a fan of Apple simply because I think they charge too much for the logo. You can get a comparable PC that does the same job an iBook would for hundreds of dollars less. It just doesn't have a light up fruit on the top. I also prefer to customize my stuff a little bit more than the iPhone allows. It's Steve Jobs' way or no way with the iPhone (that and AT&T's network and customer service, in my decade of dealing with them, sucks). Now, I will give you they make a stellar MP3 player. I'm just not a fan of their proprietary audio format.

The developers are to blame for the shitty games like Tony Hawk Ride and Guitar Hero 6. But you can't just fire the developers and take away their benefits and 401ks for fucking up a game or two and making bad decisions, they have families to feed and they're still competent programmers with qualifying career skills.

Unless you're Double Fine working on Brutal Legend or Terminal Reality working on Ghostbusters. Then you get canned before your product gets released because your title isn't "exploitable" on an annual basis. Activision most certainly can and HAS terminated whole projects in the past, and they could easily do the same in the future.

RealistIdealist
11-13-2010, 03:38 AM
I hate the DLC model of Rock Band, I almost never play the songs I download outside of solo play (360+ DLC) because no one else downloads them. Rock Band's lack of a DLC playlist is fucking ignorant and stupid of Harmonix and creates a lot of headaches and quitting in matchmaking.

do you mean sorting by DLC playlist? You CAN do that...

The Nerevarine
11-13-2010, 04:15 AM
Interesting. I played with three or four guys last night doing DLC only. It's easy. Back button, sort showing DLC only. There's your DLC playlist. It's there. You just have to know where.

I didn't say setlist, I said playlist. There should be a PLAYlist for DLC ONLY that ensures people have similar DLC to you, it's infrequent that I get matched up with people who have similar DLC, if any at all. 350+ grayed-out songs. It's always the Metallica 3 pack, Blink 182 and Evanescence. So fucking lame.

I don't like Activision because of their corporate stance on their products (seriously ANOTHER Tony Hawk....WITH A NEW SKATEBOARD??!?) and how they exploit developers with loopholes (Infinity Ward).
Infinity Ward violated contracts, that's not a loophole. You violate a big contract you get sued: end of story, wake up call, Earth to Kellwolf9E. Tony Hawk himself wanted the damn board, it was his stupid idea and Activision supports him despite it being a financial failure. Opposite of what you're beefing about, ironically.

Unless you're Double Fine working on Brutal Legend or Terminal Reality working on Ghostbusters. Both those games suck balls: the former is the world's worst RTS and the latter had broken game mechanics and a difficulty curve that resembled a mountain range. It was a good business move to abandon them.

I'm not a fan of Apple simply because I think they charge too much for the logo. You can get a comparable PC that does the same job an iBook would for hundreds of dollars less.
Your ignorance is so status quo, you're like the personification and amalgamation of all the fanboyism on the internet. MacBooks are by and large the best laptops on the market. This opinion is shared by most, if not all, computer reviewers, and is rarely disputed. This and the rest of your post is so biased, trollish and ignorant I refuse to respond to it.

... Moving on.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/12/bobby-kotick-on-the-business-of-call-of-duty-dlc-treyarch-inf/

This guy is far more legit, intelligent, and charismatic than any jerk I've read whining about this or that on a video game forum or comments section. All those little whiny brats who "hate" Activision (no offense, seriously, but call it like I see it) need a wake up call, a job, some real responsibilities, and a haircut. Kotick sleeps on a pile of cash and Xbox Live traffic is probably more than 50% Activision games. He's a kingpin, and he earned it. Activision is an industry leader. Same thing with Apple. Any hate towards these companies is obviously some self-inflicted torment, because the rest of the world is buying their products in record numbers and telling their friends about how great they are.

Dustinator
11-13-2010, 06:16 PM
@ Nerevarine-Those are wonderful opinions you got there. Especially the ones about.......*sigh* not even worth it. Ah well, I'm going back to play Rock Band 3 and Ghostbusters ;)

The Nerevarine
11-13-2010, 07:35 PM
@ Nerevarine-Those are wonderful opinions you got there. Especially the ones about.......*sigh* not even worth it. Ah well, I'm going back to play Rock Band 3 and Ghostbusters ;)
Yes, I'm a bit crass, aren't I? But the comments on the Kotick article I linked to justify it. If there's a villain in the video game industry it's the culmination of illegitimate complaints of the millions of spoiled brats on gaming blogs and forums clouding the real issues. The Halo Reach forums are a great example.

I have Ghostbusters, it's not a terrible game, but on the hardest difficulty has me scratching my head as to what the game designers were smoking... some parts are all luck. Either way, you're one of the few who still plays it. Bill Murray's awesomeness wasn't enough to make it a hit.

mikachu93
11-13-2010, 07:54 PM
... I buy most Guitar Hero games, not because I'm a sheep but because I enjoy playing them, and they're usually better than RB in my opinion.
I know this is very loosely related to what you're saying, but I am absolutely dying to point out a comment from an interview with Guitar Hero's Randy Guillote:

We've worked really hard on those games to find a balance between a game that's too heavy on one band versus a variety. [B]Like maybe with the Aerosmith game, there were a few too many Aerosmith songs.

On page three of a 1UP.com interview (here (http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=2&cId=3180646)). That's not exactly the best stance in music games, and this quote right here knocked them down a couple of pegs in my book.

Dustinator
11-13-2010, 08:10 PM
But the comments on the Kotick article I linked to justify it. If there's a villain in the video game industry it's the culmination of illegitimate complaints of the millions of spoiled brats on gaming blogs and forums clouding the real issues.

Again, opinion......Activision is a business, Kotick and company need to make money. I just get the feeling(my opinion) that Kotick wants more of the pie. Every single pie he sees actually. The guy just rubs me the wrong way(wheter quote for quote or misquoted).

Hence why i buy Activision games used. Heck, I even buy Atari games used since I don't like what Nolan says either. Everyone has their opinions and though Kotick and Nolan are shrewd business men, I still dislike them and want to give them none of my money. I lump those guys in the same category as politicians.

I just prefer to buy games from companies that love making games(i.e. HMX, Valve), cause that's my choice. I can actually buy games that I'd like to play from companies that I don't like(Atari, Activision), used and they don't get a cent because I don't like their business practices as a consumer. ..........Again, this is all just opinions. And in the end, I really hope that Activision doesn't buy HMX. Nor Microsoft either :p

EDIT:
I know this is very loosely related to what you're saying, but I am absolutely dying to point out a comment from an interview with Guitar Hero's Randy Guillote:

We've worked really hard on those games to find a balance between a game that's too heavy on one band versus a variety. [B]Like maybe with the Aerosmith game, there were a few too many Aerosmith songs.

On page three of a 1UP.com interview (here (http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=2&cId=3180646)). That's not exactly the best stance in music games, and this quote right here knocked them down a couple of pegs in my book.

Yeah, which is why Neversoft(developers), drove Tony Hawk and then Guitar Hero into the ground. Neversoft is no longer the developer for GH anymore. They have either moved onto another franchise to run into the ground, or they've been disbanded and moved into other studios within Activision LOL

Reading that article(and many others similair to it), make me realize how much HMX loves their games and fans, while the competition doesn't seem to as much.

The Nerevarine
11-13-2010, 08:36 PM
I just get the feeling(my opinion) that Kotick wants more of the pie. Every single pie he sees actually. (..) Hence why i buy Activision games used. Heck, I even buy Atari games used since I don't like what Nolan says either. Everyone has their opinions and though Kotick and Nolan are shrewd business men, I still dislike them and want to give them none of my money. I lump those guys in the same category as politicians.

It sounds to me like you like the products these people make if you're buying them, used or not.

Your boycott is having very little effect. In fact, by playing Activision games (used or not) you're advertising them to your friends on Live and boosting the population numbers for that game. You're even advertising them in your forum signature - crossword puzzles, gears of war, yaris (??)...

Truth is, Activision makes good games that people buy in record numbers. Kotick is the CEO of the company and has been for over a decade. The conclusion here is simple: Kotick is a good CEO. Maybe he's not your best friend material, but I would personally love to have some beers with the guy, and I would jump at a chance to take a job at Activision.

Steadysphere
11-13-2010, 10:23 PM
Guys, you're missing something here. Both Rock Band and Guitar Hero don't hold a candle to the latest and greatest rhythm game Power Gig!

mikachu93
11-14-2010, 12:02 AM
Guys, you're missing something here. Both Rock Band and Guitar Hero don't hold a candle to the latest and greatest rhythm game Power Gig!
They are the first and only game with a real six string guitar!
(Power chords only. Drum set not included, and not actually a drum set.)

RealistIdealist
11-14-2010, 01:53 AM
The only thing I hate about Kotick is that he pretty much brags about how much he's milking these franchises and how he says he's basically going to cut and run once Activision runs dry.

Lucent Beam
11-14-2010, 03:02 AM
As long as RB continues to be the RB I know and love, I don't care who owns it.

Technogoat
11-14-2010, 03:22 AM
As long as RB continues to be the RB I know and love, I don't care who owns it.
Got to agree with this, I think.

Dustinator
11-14-2010, 04:24 AM
It sounds to me like you like the products these people make if you're buying them, used or not.

Yes, that is what I said originally. I like some of the games Activision makes, but I buy them used since I don't want to give my money to Activision

Your boycott is having very little effect.

I don't care what you think. People everywhere take a stand in boycotting certain things. Cruelty to animals, purchasing good from Walmart, or where ever. This to me is something I believe in and I'm not gonna go bragging about it or pushing it on others. What the hell do you care that my boycott has little effect?? That's what I believe :confused:

In fact, by playing Activision games (used or not) you're advertising them to your friends on Live and boosting the population numbers for that game. You're even advertising them in your forum signature - crossword puzzles, gears of war, yaris (??)...

Quit trying to nitpick little things. Jumping on my sig? Gimme a break. What about your 100k EVEN gamerscore? I can interpret(twist) that as bragging.....Jees, tracking my stats for gamerscore is something I do for myself. Not to brag or whatever. It's also a way for others in this community to see what I'm playing and maybe join me to play/boost the current game(s) I'm playing. Plus, it's fun and entertaining to me. Why are you twisting that? It's something that is FUN to me. What's your deal?

Truth is, Activision makes good games that people buy in record numbers. Kotick is the CEO of the company and has been for over a decade. The conclusion here is simple: Kotick is a good CEO. Maybe he's not your best friend material, but I would personally love to have some beers with the guy, and I would jump at a chance to take a job at Activision.
Again, your opinion. And prolly like others in this thread, if we saw you with Kotick in a bar sucking down a beer or two......we'd think you're both d-bags ;) And prolly try and trip your drunk asses when you stumbled out of the car to his Jag :D

The Nerevarine
11-14-2010, 04:37 AM
What the hell do you care that my boycott has little effect??I don't, do as you wish.

Quit trying to nitpick little things. Jumping on my sig?No, your signature is fine, dude, brag all you want, kudos on your achievements. I'm just trying to show you that you're feeding the beast you supposedly hate in your signature or on your gamercard if you even so much as play an Activision game.

Again, your opinion. And prolly like others in this thread, if we saw you with Kotick in a bar sucking down a beer or two......we'd think you're both d-bags ;) And prolly try and trip your drunk asses when you stumbled out of the car to his Jag :D Of course it's my opinion, and it's obviously not shared by many in the gaming community, now is it? Pardon me for not being a part of the lynch mob.

Here's some food for thought: Bobby Kotick gets up every morning, puts on a suit and tie and heads off to work where he creates careers for talented and hard-working professionals, so that they can return home and feed their wives and children and sick parents and whatever else. In order to keep those people happy and healthy, sometimes he has to make tough decisions. Business isn't cupcakes and candy bars. He interfaces with shareholders, board members, gamers, journalists, and other businesses in a process to create fun games with multi-million dollar budgets, and facilitates a business with enough earnings to make the wild ideas and dreams of game designers and developers into realities.

He's not the only one, but he's one of the best.

He has a profit motive to keep this business on track, and perhaps he's a bit aggressive or whatever, but he has shareholders and directors to answer to that may have no compassion at all. So hate him for it. He's still doing a lot more for society, other professionals and gamers than 99.9999% of the world. So that makes him a douche bag?

Perhaps I'm a douche bag, I'll grant you that! But I don't think Bobby Kotick classifies as much as the world of sound clips and video game nerds wants you to believe. And even if you tried to trip us, we'd still buy you a shot and cheers to Rock Band because being a douche bag isn't a 24-hour job.

P.S. Read that article I linked, maybe you'll get some new perspectives on the guy.

zaku bluez
11-14-2010, 07:03 AM
Yo Crackdown and N3 suck yo I mean you didn't put Warhawk on the PS3 list *gayest game of all time* then don't put suck game on the 360 list.

iruhlman
11-14-2010, 06:18 PM
The only thing I hate about Kotick is that he pretty much brags about how much he's milking these franchises and how he says he's basically going to cut and run once Activision runs dry.

you mean hes just openly honest unlike others.

Elit3 m0nkey
11-22-2010, 05:47 PM
Second, you sound pathetic with your "hate." Apple is a eco-friendly company and avoids buying materials from war-torn areas like the Congo, those two facts alone should be enough to redeem them for whatever stupid reasons you've come up with to "hate" the company and their products. Stop being a fanboy. Nobody likes a fanboy (or an anti-fanboy, it's the same thing).

I am not a fanboy, I just think Apple is completely overrated. The iPhone over priced and severely restricted in what it can do. The iPod Nano, the, main ipod people, buy is over priced as well since I can get one one that is just as good for $100. iPad is a glorified iPod Touch that is nearly 3 times more expensive. And the Mac is too expensive for what you get, although it is a solid machine. Also Steve Jobs is douche.

Apple could release a little device that plays just pictures for $150 bucks and people would call it "revolutionary" and "must have".

However I will give Apple this; they are no afraid to do something new. Very few companies do that, so Apple does get some bonus points for that.

Seppälä
11-22-2010, 05:54 PM
They can't go back to Activision. There was a reason that Harmonix didn't want to work with those guys anymore.
I hope that EA will buy them.

TheDude wuz
11-24-2010, 08:04 PM
They can't go back to Activision. There was a reason that Harmonix didn't want to work with those guys anymore.
I hope that EA will buy them.

Actually, they were replaced by RedOctane after Guitar Hero Rocks the 80's.

But yes. Harmonix should not go back to Activision. If you look at the way the Guitar Hero franchise has slowly gotten worse and worse in both gameplay innovation and general song choices, charts, etc.
Bohemian Rhapsody's piano parts charted for guitar? That's just plain WRONG.

Also, they are obviously in it for just the money, spewing out game after game, and copying whatever new concepts the Rock Band franchise came up with. Also, Neversoft hasn't made a good game since Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (2001).

Rock Band consists of serious musicians and other people who know music well, and live it. It would be very, very wrong of them to join Activision, and start selling out.

Microsoft would be cool. They are serious about games, and would probably make sure that a quality product was made. However, I would not support the fact that Rock Band would only be released on XBOX. Despite the other two consoles not having nearly as good oppurtunities when it comes to RBN and DLC, they should still be treated equally.

Apple? That's a joke. They would never have any interest in buying a "minor" game franchise like this. also.. iBand isn't really that catchy a name :p

mikachu93
11-24-2010, 08:11 PM
Bohemian Rhapsody's piano parts charted for guitar? That's just plain WRONG.
Harmonix charted organ to guitar on Clint Eastwood (Gorillaz), keyboard to guitar on Mountain Man (Crash Kings) and Bulletproof (La Roux), and piano to guitar on Somebody to Love (Queen). They're just as guilty of alt-charting.

TheDude wuz
11-24-2010, 08:14 PM
Harmonix charted organ to guitar on Clint Eastwood (Gorillaz), keyboard to guitar on Mountain Man (Crash Kings) and Bulletproof (La Roux), and piano to guitar on Somebody to Love (Queen). They're just as guilty of alt-charting.
Still... it's Bohemian Rhapsody.
Also, all of those are DLC. You aren't REQUIRED to play it.

But yes. you are correct.
Let's not let this thread flow off-topic.

Seppälä
11-24-2010, 08:30 PM
Actually, they were replaced by RedOctane after Guitar Hero Rocks the 80's.

But yes. Harmonix should not go back to Activision.
I know and Harmonix knew that by the time they released Rock the 80's and a big reason for that were that Harmonix wanted to do more with the franchise and Activision didn't.

And what happened?
Harmonix has keeping the genre develop and Neversoft have copied what Harmonix has done.

Hand of Blood52
11-24-2010, 08:31 PM
I think this is the longest post i'll make.

MS should take them along with the Take-Two that i read somewhere it's on sale too i mean imagine how awesome the Xbox would be.

A man can dream...

Halo (Freakin' awesome)
Gear of War (Double awesomeness)
Forza Motorsport (I don't like racing so IDK)
Fable (mmm nice game but gets a little boring)
Left 2 Dead (FUCK YEAH)
Project Gotham Racing (Same as FM)

And that is it. No need to mention what Nintendo has. (lol Nintendo sucks balls grow up)

Sony has plenty though.

Little Big Planet (What is this 3rd grade? )
Uncharted (Boring and the MP is shit)
Killzone (15 minutes waiting for a match? no thanks )
inFamous ( haven't played it so no comment )
Resistance ( Awesum! )
SOCOM (Boring since 1st one )
Motorstorm ( dont like racing )
Twisted Metal ( AWESUM!! )
Yakuza ( who? )
Ratchet & Clank ( again are we still in 3rd grade? )

While i agree we don't have much we have better so thanks but no, i'll keep my 360 because i became a Halo-Gears junkie and all my friends have 360's.

... I buy most Guitar Hero games, not because I'm a sheep but because I enjoy playing them, and they're usually better than RB in my opinion. I hate the DLC model of Rock Band, I almost never play the songs I download outside of solo play (360+ DLC) because no one else downloads them. Rock Band's lack of a DLC playlist is fucking ignorant and stupid of Harmonix and creates a lot of headaches and quitting in matchmaking. The formula for Guitar Hero is fine for me, I don't need monumental changes or long delays between releases. Apparently, it's not just me, because others are buying them. Again, the internet's high standards that aren't shared among the majority of actual gamers/consumers.

You need talent to make good games, and the world is always starved for talent. None of that has anything to do with Kotick.

http://www.firetown.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/1075479-well_that_s_just_like_your_opinion_man_super.jpg

GH drums > RB "Pro" drums.

lol No, just no. Pro drums have double bass, 3 cymbals, 3 tom toms and the snare... GH drums have 2 cymbals, double bass, 2 tom toms and the snare.

RB has more difficulty and more realism.

And this is for the Apple thing. http://www.mayursha.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/mals_why_should_we_dont_buy_mac.gif

I know right all those ultra super high prices can be excusable because they are soooo "eco-friendly"

Here's some food for thought: Bobby Kotick gets up every morning, puts on a suit and tie and heads off to work where he creates careers for talented and hard-working professionals, so that they can return home and feed their wives and children and sick parents and whatever else. In order to keep those people happy and healthy, sometimes he has to make tough decisions. Business isn't cupcakes and candy bars. He interfaces with shareholders, board members, gamers, journalists, and other businesses in a process to create fun games with multi-million dollar budgets, and facilitates a business with enough earnings to make the wild ideas and dreams of game designers and developers into realities.

He's not the only one, but he's one of the best.

He has a profit motive to keep this business on track, and perhaps he's a bit aggressive or whatever, but he has shareholders and directors to answer to that may have no compassion at all. So hate him for it. He's still doing a lot more for society, other professionals and gamers than 99.9999% of the world. So that makes him a douche bag?

Perhaps I'm a douche bag, I'll grant you that! But I don't think Bobby Kotick classifies as much as the world of sound clips and video game nerds wants you to believe. And even if you tried to trip us, we'd still buy you a shot and cheers to Rock Band because being a douche bag isn't a 24-hour job.

P.S. Read that article I linked, maybe you'll get some new perspectives on the guy.

Kotick is the worst thing that happened to gaming and is not because of stuff people say, IT'S BECAUSE OF STUFF THAT CAME OUT OF HIS GOD DAMMED MOUTH! Then he goes like "ohh no i swear i didn't meant that bu bu bu bu" and people like you still protect him.

Aside, inform yourself about the IW fiasco Activision AKA Bobby wanted IW to start working on MW3 but IW didn't wanted until they get paid the bonuses Activision AKA Bobby promised them for delivering MW2 in time, which Activision AKA Bobby did NOT paid them so bobby got mad and fired West and Zampella instead of paying them.

Que pedo con los mayates de hoy...

The Nerevarine
11-24-2010, 10:39 PM
lol No, just no. Pro drums have double bass, 3 cymbals, 3 tom toms and the snare... GH drums have 2 cymbals, double bass, 2 tom toms and the snare.

RB has more difficulty and more realism.You are not a drummer, obviously. The two cymbals in GH divide nicely into four (yellow maps to hi-hat and crash, orange is ride and china), and are accurately charted as such. Thus, on a full kit (such as the Roland beside me), all cymbals are accounted for and you can play it EXACTLY like the drummer does in real life. We can thank Chad Smith and Stewart Copeland (of RHCP and The Police) for being party to the drum charting in Guitar Hero World Tour. The three in Rock Band are mapped incorrectly - open hi-hat on the blue, crash on the yellow or sometimes blue, this translates incorrectly to a full drum set, painfully so... it's even acknowledged in the official charting documentation from Harmonix (link) (http://creators.rockband.com/docs/Drum_Authoring) that drums are mapped "sonically" and not 1:1. Sorry pal, but you're dead wrong. Now that we've established your ignorance, the rest is a breeze...

I know right all those ultra super high prices can be excusable because they are soooo "eco-friendly"It's not just eco-friendly, dummy, parts made in the Congo and other WAR-TORN areas are responsible for the brutal massacre of women, children and wildlife. Educate yourself. Aside from being a hobbyist drummer, I'm a professional programmer. I could fill this thread with technical reasons why Apple haters have their facts twisted so poorly about RAM speeds and prices (I can get dell.com to price me a $3000 computer with ease), but I'll just leave it at this: Apple computers run on UNIX (an open-source BSD variant, to be precise), the world's most powerful and secure OS running for 20 years now, and yet the GUI is simple enough for Mom to browse the web and designers to manage their Photoshop files. You say the value is disproportionate, yet millions of professionals, creatives and casual users alike disagree and buy Apple products with their hard-earned money. But you keep hating if it makes you feel brave or smart or whatever.

Kotick is the worst thing that happened to gaming and is not because of stuff people say, IT'S BECAUSE OF STUFF THAT CAME OUT OF HIS GOD DAMMED MOUTH! Then he goes like "ohh no i swear i didn't meant that bu bu bu bu" and people like you still protect him.

Aside, inform yourself about the IW fiasco Activision AKA Bobby wanted IW to start working on MW3 but IW didn't wanted until they get paid the bonuses Activision AKA Bobby promised them for delivering MW2 in time, which Activision AKA Bobby did NOT paid them so bobby got mad and fired West and Zampella instead of paying them.Surprise, you're still hating. So you hate this guy because of something he said... when, on earnings calls? To his investors? To IW? What does any of that have to do with you? Call of Duty certainly hasn't suffered any. Me and my drum teacher and my musician friends all agree that Guitar Hero has it down better than Rock Band. Tony Hawk used to be king but Skate is better. Everyone I know who games remains unaffected by his business dealings... so how is it that you have so much despair over this guy? Damn man, if you want to make a hobby from the products of a billion-dollar industry my best advice to you is to let the grief of capitalism go. You don't even know what went on behind closed doors, you didn't read or write the contracts, and you weren't on the calls, and you obviously don't own stock, so let it go.

I am not a fanboy, I just think Apple is completely overrated. The iPhone over priced and severely restricted in what it can do. The iPod Nano, the, main ipod people, buy is over priced as well since I can get one one that is just as good for $100.
While I'll grant you that their advertising lately is crap (I will NOT remember the day the Beatles came to iTunes, but thanks for thinking I'm a teenage girl from 1964, Apple), I will assert that the iPod was revolutionary when it first came out, maybe not anymore but it's still a quality device with many third-party peripherals and stable software. Same for the mouse, the GUI, Mac OS X, removal of the floppy disk, early/forced adoption of USB and a few other fairly revolutionary moments from Apple's past. You pay for what you get, quality and compatibility with a warranty, free of ecological and humanitarian burden.

The iPad I loathe, but people like it so who am I to judge? I can't say I appreciate everything Apple does, but I continue to use a Mac laptop for my work while my many PCs collect dust, as I have done for almost 20 years, because it handles my technical needs and remains aesthetically pleasing and in one piece. I also do most of my server-side deployments on Apple Xserves, the now discontinued high-end server line with components worth every penny and comparably priced to a Dell.

TL;DR: Lesson of the day: Nothing can be overrated by the masses, that's a logical fallacy, an impossibility. Something can only be overrated by a small group or an individual. If the many say something is good, then it is good; there can be no higher-valued measure.

Hand of Blood52
11-25-2010, 05:43 PM
You are not a drummer, obviously. The two cymbals in GH divide nicely into four (yellow maps to hi-hat and crash, orange is ride and china), and are accurately charted as such. Thus, on a full kit (such as the Roland beside me), all cymbals are accounted for and you can play it EXACTLY like the drummer does in real life. We can thank Chad Smith and Stewart Copeland (of RHCP and The Police) for being party to the drum charting in Guitar Hero World Tour. The three in Rock Band are mapped incorrectly - open hi-hat on the blue, crash on the yellow or sometimes blue, this translates incorrectly to a full drum set, painfully so... it's even acknowledged in the official charting documentation from Harmonix (link) (http://creators.rockband.com/docs/Drum_Authoring) that drums are mapped "sonically" and not 1:1. Sorry pal, but you're dead wrong. Now that we've established your ignorance, the rest is a breeze...

This is from YOUR link:

Orange = Kick
Red = Snare
Yellow = Hihat or Rack Tom 1
Blue = Ride Cymbal or Rack Tom 2
Green = Crash Cymbal or Floor Tom

And since i know you didn't even read a little bit from YOUR link the hihat can even be on green but they are called EXCEPTIONS and they explain why they are there AND that is mapping for a normal drumset WITHOUT cymbals for normal drums AKA not Pro drums, if you read a little bit in there you'll find the PRO drums authoring.

On PRO drums you got yellow cymbal is the hi hat and you got a hi hat pedal for open hi hat LIKE A REAL DRUMSET, a real drumset doesn't magically changes from open to closed, you have to use a pedal again more realism. Blue and green cymbals change between all different short of cymbals played on the songs then you got the green pad which works as a floor tom and the yellow and blue pads work as rack toms, blue sometimes changing from rack tom to floor tom.

And that is on PRO drums.

Now that i showed how you know nothing about it, the rest is a breeze...

It's not just eco-friendly, dummy, parts made in the Congo and other WAR-TORN areas are responsible for the brutal massacre of women, children and wildlife. Educate yourself. Aside from being a hobbyist drummer, I'm a professional programmer. I could fill this thread with technical reasons why Apple haters have their facts twisted so poorly about RAM speeds and prices (I can get dell.com to price me a $3000 computer with ease), but I'll just leave it at this: Apple computers run on UNIX (an open-source BSD variant, to be precise), the world's most powerful and secure OS running for 20 years now, and yet the GUI is simple enough for Mom to browse the web and designers to manage their Photoshop files. You say the value is disproportionate, yet millions of professionals, creatives and casual users alike disagree and buy Apple products with their hard-earned money. But you keep hating if it makes you feel brave or smart or whatever.

YES, YES YOU CAN! Of course you can find a computer for 3000 in ANY retailer and even MORE expensive than that but they are way MORE powerful that a mac.

I don't care about what computer my mom needs or can use (which BTW she can use a computer like a pro) because i'm talking about myself not mom, she doesn't care about brands or prices but I do and i don't like overpriced stuff. Thank you!

If you knew anything about opinions and respect you would have shut up because you don't see me hating on you because you like Apple, do ya? I'm only telling you why i dislike them as the other guy said too, stop trying to change our opinion about Apple we know you love it but we don't.

Surprise, you're still hating. So you hate this guy because of something he said... when, on earnings calls? To his investors? To IW? What does any of that have to do with you? Call of Duty certainly hasn't suffered any. Me and my drum teacher and my musician friends all agree that Guitar Hero has it down better than Rock Band. Tony Hawk used to be king but Skate is better. Everyone I know who games remains unaffected by his business dealings... so how is it that you have so much despair over this guy? Damn man, if you want to make a hobby from the products of a billion-dollar industry my best advice to you is to let the grief of capitalism go. You don't even know what went on behind closed doors, you didn't read or write the contracts, and you weren't on the calls, and you obviously don't own stock, so let it go.

Again, the news and even escaned contracts are on the net not hard to find.

And again, it's not about the games! it's about what he says about what he wants to do like a subscription to call of duty. If he does that other games are going to see the great profit it comes from there and then people will start jumping on the wagon with him.

I know it's business, but again why you defend it? You are a stock holder? Bobby is your best friend? You get a cut? No, you won't and you will have to pay if you want to keep enjoying CoD.

"The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games." - Kotick himself

I know business. I am OK with this because i don't like the fun in videogames and wish to give my money to Kotick aside, who the hell plays videogames to have fun?

OH! OH! what else? Am i missing something? Oh yeah, he said Bungie is the last remaining high quality developer and saying everyone else is just not as good as Bungie.

I love Bungie, I love Halo. But Bungie is not the only high quality developer a lot are really good and even better than Bungie.

He thought MW2 was a bad idea, he sued Double Fine for Brütal Legend a game he thought it was thrash but still sued them to get a cut from the profit.

Now, do you undestand why i hate him? Is not just about IW.

Keep trying if it makes you feel brave or smart or whatever.