PDA

View Full Version : Kinect and Tall People

Vampire Psycho
11-13-2010, 01:09 AM
So the problem to be well I am 6 foot 5 inches tall. I am having trouble with the kinect and your shape fitness evolved seeing my legs. I mean I did some zen on it last night after I bought it and when I was trying to do the tai chi it wasn't reading my legs very well and even my image looked like I was going through the floor. So is any other tall people having this problem and I am wondering if some kind of mount will help me. I am hoping so because I pre-ordered the tv mount for it because my tv is on a wall mount and it stands a bit taller than me. What do you guys think?

Maaaahty
11-13-2010, 01:43 AM
I'm a similar height and found that the only way around your problem appears to moving further back. If that's not possible then I'm not sure what you can do :/

Vampire Psycho
11-13-2010, 01:50 AM
I am hoping a tv mount will help that if not I have to figure out a re arrange.

EvolvedX
11-13-2010, 03:39 AM
So the problem to be well I am 6 foot 5 inches tall. I am having trouble with the kinect and your shape fitness evolved seeing my legs. I mean I did some zen on it last night after I bought it and when I was trying to do the tai chi it wasn't reading my legs very well and even my image looked like I was going through the floor. So is any other tall people having this problem and I am wondering if some kind of mount will help me. I am hoping so because I pre-ordered the tv mount for it because my tv is on a wall mount and it stands a bit taller than me. What do you guys think?

put it 1 foot off the floor and you will have no problem

Missis Beki
11-13-2010, 08:12 PM
Ive just posted in the other thread about this issue.
My fiance is the same size as you, we have the kinect about 2 foot off the floor (on the tv stand)
and when he stands where it wants about 8 feet away it cant pick him up :uzi:
The tv stand is meant to be really crappy but please do post how you get on with it!

sinista12
11-14-2010, 05:00 AM
My husband is 6'3" and we have 10ft of playing space and the only problem we have is with volleyball on Kinect Sports. We have the sensor sitting on the top of the tv. One of the videos on the xbox said if you put ur sensor above the tv it adds a foot of distance. My suggestion would be get a shelf and put it on the wall high up almost to the ceiling and it should work great.

Missis Beki
11-15-2010, 12:36 PM
My husband is 6'3" and we have 10ft of playing space and the only problem we have is with volleyball on Kinect Sports. We have the sensor sitting on the top of the tv. One of the videos on the xbox said if you put ur sensor above the tv it adds a foot of distance. My suggestion would be get a shelf and put it on the wall high up almost to the ceiling and it should work great.
Thanks hun, we have our tv infront of our bay window so cant have a shelf there. I tried holding the Kinect on top of the tv just to see how much more it picked up and didnt actually make that much difference in terms of play space, but picked up about an extra inch or two of his body.
His head is still totally missing on the sports demo on adventures lol

Pyrochaos
11-15-2010, 03:10 PM
I am just under 6'5, and I have mine mounted on top of they TV (probably around 5.5 feet high up). Some times it seems to cut off my feet, but not enough to not allow me to play your shape. Try calibration a few times, cause that seems to help. Or raise the sensor higher (wall mount) to about 6 feet to reach the ideal height.

DarkReign2021
11-15-2010, 03:32 PM
I'm 6'4" and I've got mine mounted at about chest height on top of my TV. I'm having some trouble with Fighters Uncaged reading my movements for some reason, but Kinect Adventures seems to be working fine for me (Haven't tried any other games yet.) I'm using the chart on Adventures and standing within the best possible range, so the best I can suggest for you guys is try having the camera higher up and pointing it slightly downward. Otherwise you just have to stand within the recommended zone. Kind of an oversight on MS's part. Might be a patch to fix that down the road perhaps.

JuryDuty
11-17-2010, 09:07 PM
Microsoft's support page says for small children, you may have to lower the sensor. Have you tried doing the opposite and setting it higher than the top of your TV? I'd guess that would make a difference. (I hope!)

Tillman
11-17-2010, 10:49 PM
6 foot 2 inches at a kinect distance of 2m
->works fine for me

Lord WarLion
11-17-2010, 11:08 PM
It's often a problem with the game itself. For example, Kinect Adventures work's almost perfect, but a lot of people have problem with Motion Sports, because the game is just not complete !

Thomasxo
11-20-2010, 12:19 AM
It's often a problem with the game itself. For example, Kinect Adventures work's almost perfect, but a lot of people have problem with Motion Sports, because the game is just not complete !

Indeed I just bought Motion sports can I verify that there are some problems with the movement.

mptuk
11-25-2010, 07:19 AM
argh i hope not lol, im 6 foot 4 been trying to decide the best possible place in front room which is around 5ft height but i have got maybe 9ft of space to work with. its supposed to be delivered today so just hope it goes smoothly has planned.

Strator
11-25-2010, 12:38 PM
I'm happy that i'm 5.2 :) finally that's now an advantage to be short ^_^

TAI JASON
11-25-2010, 12:45 PM
Yeah thats true. My girlfriend play's Kinectimals and was much better in all the stuff with motion. She's much smaler than i am. I must be 3,5 Meters away so kinect read my moves correct. I think it's better for children and small people if you have not enough space in your room.

Braiiins
11-25-2010, 04:57 PM
I'm about 6'3" and have mine mounted on top of the TV. I haven't had any problems with it seeing me, I don't have that much playing space either, maybe 8 feet. I live with someone that's at least 6'7", I'll have to get him to try it out and see how it goes.

Jonezy
11-27-2010, 08:11 PM
dats whats bad there is a bit of delay for big peeps

xTGMx INF3RNO
11-27-2010, 09:03 PM
Stand further back

Vampire Psycho
11-29-2010, 11:55 PM
Love all the replies I am trying a few different thinks I mounted my tv different and I am waiting for a tv mount for it. Since I moved it though its getting more of me so it doesn't look like its cutting me off at the knees which is giving me better reads on Your shape. Also i can move around a lot more than the other way. One problem though is I stripped a wall mount screw cause the screws that came with my rosewell mount was soft like boter where the screw driver went. SO if I go to re mount the old tv again I am boned .

xTGMx INF3RNO
11-30-2010, 05:56 PM
Im 6ft1 and its on top of my tv about 1.5m off the ground. i stand about 4-5 feet away and its fine pick me all up.

Tracker799
12-02-2010, 02:32 AM
I'm 6'7" and I've noticed some issues with games, but it's all in the placement of the sensor. I have my sensor on a shelf above my tv about 5' or so off the ground. Having the sensor there instead of under my tv was a HUGE help. Now I only rarely experience any problems.

cyberpunk82
12-02-2010, 12:00 PM
had the same problem, solved by placing the kinect in an higher place over the tv, like 1.5m off the ground

Vampire Psycho
12-17-2010, 07:10 AM
Not meaning to necro this but I got the tv mount and put it on. Yeah It was reading me even worse than before. So I sent it back to amazon and now I have sat my xbox up and made a nice stack of dvds for my kinect beside it lol take a look. http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/2613/101217005633.jpg (http://img64.imageshack.us/i/101217005633.jpg/)

crackedeggs1
12-17-2010, 08:06 AM
Good to hear. I'm only 5'11, but only have about 6 feet of (narrow - maybe 4 ft) space in front of my TV.

I've played Kinect Adventures only at a friends' house, and need to stand far back there -- about 8-9 feet, and usually need about 6 ft horizontal space for single player. I have been holding out dropping $149 on something that might not work given my space constraints.

Placing the sensor higher (about 6 ft, angled down) and wall mounted 1 ft behind the TV might solve the distance issue and being able to see a full form. But I am still concerned about the lateral motion.

Also the fact that the space is typically poorly lit. I noticed playing in my friend's extremely well lit room that it would sometimes lose track of my arms or legs. I am not sure if it was a contrast issue between parts of my body and possibly elements in the background, but this is another thing I am worried about.

Pyrochaos
12-17-2010, 05:22 PM
Not meaning to necro this but I got the tv mount and put it on. Yeah It was reading me even worse than before. So I sent it back to amazon and now I have sat my xbox up and made a nice stack of dvds for my kinect beside it lol take a look.

From what I've read, the max height you want kinect at is ~6 feet, and the lowest height ~3 feet. So if your TV is mounted high like that, I can see why it wouldn't read well if it was on top of the TV.

Mega Mayo Man
12-21-2010, 08:05 PM
Stand further back and the key thing is to keep re-synching the kinect hub thingy! In all lights, from all angles and from all distances, every little helps.

It's what worked for myself anyway.

Good luck and sorry to hear you're having some issues with it.

that505guy
12-21-2010, 08:12 PM
make your avatar taller lol jk

but my friend came over to my house hes 6.7 and it wasnt registering till i walked in front of him then he walked back in the screen try that?

Vampire Psycho
12-23-2010, 07:40 AM
Best thing about how I did it is that you can adjust easily and move it back or forward if needed.