PDA

View Full Version : Finished the game - thoughts and some tips

Gumy
11-15-2010, 07:22 PM
Just finished the game. Took around 12 hours, so don't think to get that 5 hour achievement on first playthrough if you aren't ready for some big spoilers. I was playing very casualy.

BIGGEST TIP !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go to OPTIONS and under GRAPHICS there is OVERSCAN SIZE that you can use to zoom game to your TV screen, the game does not do this automatically. You will see from farther and not get annoyed when unable to read something!

PUZLES
are not puzzles (; . It's very easy, you won't think for a second, because you will most likely just stumble on puzzles and answers.
STORY
is great. And will keep you going. I really liked it.
CONTROLS
Play this on PC if you don't care for achieves because that controls will steal you at least 30-60min. It's not hard or broken, it's just slow.

BONUS
It's really easy to get everything, just search areas for bonus points.
BONUS chapter 8 is missable, read few post below for walkthrough if needed.

SECRET ACHIEVES
All are STORY RELATED and can't be missed.

MISSABLE ACHIEVES
Are the ones that are visible, so if you read them, you won't missed them, because they are easy and straight forward.

I still have 5 hour achiev left.

cheers

matzse
11-15-2010, 08:16 PM
Just finished the game. Took around 11 hours, so don't think to get that 5 hour achievement on first playthrough if you aren't ready for some big spoilers. I was playing very casualy.

PUZLES
are not puzzles (; . It's very easy, you won't think for a second, because you will most likely just stumble on puzzles and answers.
STORY
is great. And will keep you going. I really liked it.
CONTROLS
Play this on PC if you don't care for achieves because that controls will steal you at least 30-60min. It's not hard or broken, it's just slow.

BONUS
It's really easy to get everything, just search areas for bonus points.

It took me around 14 hours. i really enjoyed the story especially in the second half of the game. Gray Matter was worth my time.:)

I agree with most of your points. The only bonus tasks i missed where somewhere in chapter 7.

I think the 5 hour achievement is a bit silly. These things already annoyed me in the monkey island games. Hey developers: shouldn't i enjoy your game in which you invested so much time, instead of rushing through it?

hoochli
11-15-2010, 08:21 PM
Does anyone of you make a proper walkthrough? It's not that hard but I don't like searching an hour for some % :(

I'm at the end of chapter two and i'm only missing 12% on Dr Styles. I read in another forum that it has something to do with the postcard and the faculty list but I don't know what to do (where is the faculty list?). The only golden thing on the map is the Dread Hill House..

Edit: Wahrscheinlich könnte ich sogar Deutsch schreiben, da hier eh keine Amis reinschauen *g*

matzse
11-15-2010, 09:09 PM
Edit: Wahrscheinlich könnte ich sogar Deutsch schreiben, da hier eh keine Amis reinschauen *g*
;)
There are some good walkthroughs in german. / Versuchs zum Beispiel mal hiermit:
http://www.gamona.de/games/gray-matter,komplettloesung-pc:article,1831589,page-4.html.

hoochli
11-16-2010, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the link.. I found another german walkthrough at gameswelt.at

It seems that I'm missing the "Kondolenzkarte" from the file cabinet.

Gumy
11-16-2010, 10:07 AM
Yes, there are some files that are not available when you first look, you need to explore some things and then return to it. Like many of stuff in this game that won't be available at first, so you need to check over and over for new things to be discovered on same item.

hoochli
11-17-2010, 05:49 PM
I'm missing 2% from the bonus in Chapter 8.. can somebody help me and list everything?

I think I spoke to everyone in the bar and I took the emergency exit out of the maze. But something is missing..

Gumy
11-17-2010, 06:55 PM
I just run another run through CHAPTER 8 for BONUS points, because I had trouble also and couldn't figure them out. I found out that it is MISSABLE and here is why. I included chapter 7 because I remember it.

CHAPTER 7

SAM'S BEDROOM
Backpack - Frankenstein book 3/6
Picture of Sam's Partents 6/6

CHAPTER 8

WARNING: FIRST 9/17 are MISSABLE if you LOOK AT NEWSPAPER before talking about OXFORD with people. Sam won't ask them about OXFORD if she reads about it in papers.Option will be gone, and you can only ask them about Mephistopheles.

Talk to bartender about OXFORD 3/17
Talk to Patron about OXFORD 6/17
Talk to Trickster about OXFORD 9/17
Iron Maiden 11/17
Talk to Trickster about BASEMANT RIDDLE(after fall down) 17/17 - I did this after reading information box in diamond, hitting switch, looking at picture for maze clue, doing the maze and saving Helena.

(Achievement unlocks when talking to Trickster not at the end of game)

Hope this helps.

hoochli
11-17-2010, 07:07 PM
Then I'm missing the Iron Maiden but I can't look at it because the game kind of freezes at that moment.

Edit: I had to replay half of Chapter 6 and the whole of Chapter 7 because I didn't save in quite a while *g*

btw, the Trickster at the end does not give 6 but only 3 points. There's another thing between the Iron Maidon and the Trickster that gives 3 points but I'm not sure what it is.. maybe the information box with the heart.

scorpy78
11-17-2010, 09:18 PM
just one tip for Divided and Conquered achievement

if you have even number of the cards on the deck always begin with A button.
If you have odd number always begin with B button

TenaciousSTD
11-18-2010, 02:11 PM
Any advice for bonus on chapter 4? I'm stuck at 30/33. The only area not grayed out on the map is St. Edumund's Hall.

Also, does the map gray out an area as soon as all story activities are completed? I'm wondering if bonus items can exist in areas's that are grayed out because you've completed the story related actions or if they wouldn't be grayed out until you've got the bonus too. That might help me narrow down what area I missed something in.

AchievementsRforLosers
11-19-2010, 03:01 PM
Enjoyable point n clicker i must admit.

It reminds me a lot of the old adventure games in feel alone(it's dated but in a good way).
If this was done in the early 90's and we were playing it today say on dosbox or scummVM, i think a lot of us would be saying 'yeah i remember this, good game back then'.

A strange title in a way for the 360, but a good one all the same.
Good music too, except for the cheesy singing songs.

SpinelesS
04-07-2011, 12:40 PM
Good music too, except for the cheesy singing songs.

I really don't think someone with The Hoff for an avatar can complain about cheesy singing. Stones in glass houses and all that.

was it just me and my crappy tv, or near the end when Samantha see's the Doc without his mask on, Is his face not burnt at all?

Guess I will have a better look at it on my speedrun...

EDIT: whoops, I skipped the cutscene... ah well :)

Kristabelle
11-10-2012, 08:57 PM
There's a good walkthrough on gamepressure.

Triplet Mama
09-06-2013, 07:56 PM
I wasnt sure about the ending but it was good to see this kind of game very broken sword like getting a go on the 360, just hope xbox one lets another be released

envint251
03-15-2014, 12:21 PM
I think the 5 hour achievement is a bit silly. These things already annoyed me in the monkey island games. Hey developers: shouldn't i enjoy your game in which you invested so much time, instead of rushing through it?

Completely agree. I hate time limits, I hate being forced to rush through a game, especially one that should be about taking things at your own pace, such as point and click adventures like these. Monkey Island also had the same stupid achievement, as did GTA IV (a sandbox game! why on earth would you want the player to run through it, particularly when you pride yourself on the details?).
I can't remember offhand what game it is, but there was one recently with an achievement for completing the game OVER a specific time. That's my kind of game!