PDA

View Full Version : Gold Digger Achievement

Lord of Orion
11-18-2010, 07:40 PM
By my accounts, this achievement is unobtainable. If anyone gets it or if I get it, please post in here with how you went about doing it.

I have played through a few times now, twice not hitting a rock, but the achievement still has yet to unlock. I started doing the math on this and I think that the requirements make this an impossible achievement. According to the description, you need to not hit a rock while panning for gold, collect 8 diamonds, and get 50 pounds of gold.

I have by my count 14 diamonds which rules that piece out of the description and didn't hit a rock. That left the 50 pounds. I collected a little over 400 ounces of gold, but that still only works out to about 25 pounds of gold. I had 10 times panning for gold along the way. If you have found a route with more, please post it. Also, count how much you are panning ... 800 ounces is a crazy amount of gold to have to pan!

KabuKiArcade
11-18-2010, 11:25 PM
Are you certain this is not cumulative? I killed one deer today in my second game and got the achievement for killing 10 deer. Makes me wonder.

I agree that 50 pounds seems impossible, even if you hit every river.

Lord of Orion
11-19-2010, 07:20 AM
I will find out tomorrow I hope because I should hit about 800 cumulative ounces tomorrow and if it unlocks, I will update. Anyway, if it is, the collecting one bad rock may throw everyone off because it happens without even noticing sometimes. All in all, this is a poor achievement for an otherwise enjoyable list to get.

KabuKiArcade
11-19-2010, 04:51 PM
I love that the diamonds count for ounces of gold as well. Like it needed to be harder! Lol.

Lord of Orion
11-21-2010, 08:25 AM
I can confirm that this is NOT cumulative ... I have had over 400 ounces of gold panned twice now and I have made sure not to hit anything else.

I have one other thing that I want to try and see if that works, but other than that, I am about ready to chalk this up as a failed achievement.

nbick
11-22-2010, 10:17 PM
I have just played through the game on normal, not touching any rocks, but I didn't get the achievement either. Maybe we can email the make of the game and see what they say.

Thee_Bert
11-23-2010, 06:41 AM
This and the pshyco killer are pissing me off

stophj
11-23-2010, 05:58 PM
for Psycho Killer I just kept reloading the same checkpoint and got it. trying that with the gold digger one but 800 ounces is a ton... and I hit a leaf which may have ruined the count anyway. who knows. 180 isn't too bad I guess...

KabuKiArcade
11-25-2010, 01:04 AM
When you say reload checkpoint - how are you accomplishing that? I killed 50 bears on the same path today by letting the phone screen go dark and then reloading - but the stats screen says I only killed 6. Please elaborate as I'm curious... we should be able to use the same method for gold digger.

Linden
12-01-2010, 07:14 PM
Here's how you can pan for gold indefinately.
After panning for gold when you see the "Cross the River" button press the Pause button. Then go to the Main Menu, choose Singleplayer, Continue and Talk to People.
The score does not seem to increase when you do this so I'm not sure whether you can use this method to get the Gold Digger achievement. If it works I'd sure like to know.

KabuKiArcade
12-07-2010, 06:01 PM
Psycho Killer is definitely cumulative as I just got it on my first Buffalo Hunt of a new game.

So I'm guessing Gold Digger is cumulative as well BUT - does it reset everytime you get a bad stone? Or worse is it no longer achievable? You can't avoid hitting leaves sometimes.

Lord of Orion
12-09-2010, 04:30 AM
I emailed Gameloft and they seem to deny that there are any games for my specified phone. I have repeatedly asked them to look into it more as they indeed have games for my phone (I have the Samsung Focus), but I have had no avail.

I am going to go off the idea that it is glitched if you get a bad rock. It is impossible to get 800 ounces in a single go. I have had at least two runs in a row now where I have not got a single leaf or rock and have had at least 400 ounces so it is not cumulative.

My guess is that it is glitched and we may never get it!

nbick
12-17-2010, 02:42 AM
Any new new on this achievement? Or are we all still assuming that it is glitched?

KabuKiArcade
12-17-2010, 05:00 PM
I've been trying for it by carefully panning for gold and making sure not to hit any rocks OR leaves. It sucks because sometimes I only get 8 or 16 ounces in a go but I'd rather get some than lose all my progress.

Additionally, Diamonds seem to count for 5-10 ounces - so we may have to get up to 880 ounces of gold?

Still working on it... the other gameloft games I have do not have any achievement glitches, so I'm hopeful this one doesn't.

Lastly, I placed a bug report in their forum online - maybe get some answers there.

Linden
12-25-2010, 09:43 PM
I just collected over 900 ozs and 9 diamonds without hitting a bad stone or leaf. Still no achievement. I wonder if I have to make it to Oregon now.

KabuKiArcade
12-27-2010, 07:42 PM
Did you use your replay trick Linden? I really don't think quitting to the homescreen and then resuming play counts. I have a thread over on gameloft support asking for attention on this issue, if anyone wants to add a comment it may help to show that a lot of people are affected by this.

Forum:
http://forum.gameloft.com/index.php/board,1.0.html

Linden
12-27-2010, 09:39 PM
Did you use your replay trick Linden? I really don't think quitting to the homescreen and then resuming play counts.

Yes, that's what I did. It doesn't appear to work.

KabuKiArcade
01-29-2011, 03:45 AM
Gentlemen. Excellent news: I unlocked the achievement today.

Following a lead I discovered on another site, I started a game on "extra hard' difficulty. On this difficulty when playing a mini-game you have the option to 'play it safe' or 'take the risk' whereby you can earn a larger bonus for meeting the mini-game goal.

At the very first river crossing where I was able to pan for gold, I used 'take the risk' and unlocked the achievement. This also matches with what the other person told me.

Of note, I grabbed 40 ounces and one diamond in 35 seconds and did NOT click on any stones or leaves.

Perhaps this achievement only 'calculates' your gold panned when receiving the bonus you get on very hard, or maybe it is just flat out bugged. Either way, 200/200 on Oregon Trail, second in the world as far as I know.

Thanks,
-KabuKiArcade

Linden
01-30-2011, 11:12 PM
Excellent news indeed! Thanks for your help. I unlocked it yesterday.

Linden

Skelix
01-31-2011, 07:33 PM
Got it, thanks for the find!

Got it third river, on hard and was using the "take the risk" as decribed.

First 2 rivers I failed to meet the challenge as I was holding out for diamonds. (I grab big nuggets but stay < 1 nugget from winning). Third river finished challenge with 3-4 diamonds and it unlocked then.

So really maybe it's just beating a "take the risk challenge" on hard?

stormshadow
02-07-2011, 09:36 PM
Thank you for the tip! Confirmed I got this achievement. I even did the trick of exiting out when I hit a rock or leaf and it popped on the third river. Seemed to be more diamond related than 50 pounds of gold.

BrotherMagneto
02-11-2011, 04:26 PM
I got this yesterday by doing exactly what was described here: getting to the first gold panning in Extra Hard and Taking the Risk.

You can apparently get a leaf and still have it pop since my fat fingers grabbed a leaf and I still got it. :)

Harrison Drake
03-05-2011, 08:02 AM
I got this today (finally 200/200) but am confused if we really know how it works.

I did get it doing the panning for gold "take the risk" challenges on Very Hard. However, I succeeded on five without hitting any bad stones without the achievement popping. I was at Third Sweetwater River and I began playing it then exiting out and reloading to play it again.

I don't think I had 800 ounces of gold from my first two playthroughs however the achievement popped mid-challenge when I picked up a diamond, something I had very few of along the games.

Is it more based on the diamonds? Does the gold you collect while floating down the river count toward the required 800 ounces (one ounce in the panning challenge is $1, each coin in the river is $1)?

I would assume that between panning and floating challenges I would have had well over the 800 ounces mark and that the achievement popped upon my eighth diamond WHILE playing on Very Hard in take the risk.

Just my observations... glad to have a 200/200 on this classic game!

Hoffer
04-10-2011, 08:11 PM
Thanks to this thread, I got the achievement as well. I probably wouldn't have even gone for it otherwise.

YBEAR
11-04-2012, 10:42 PM
I got this ach on my third play, first on normal, second on hard, third on very hard. I'm pretty sure I hit a random rock too. Got the ach halfway after "risking" every gold panning opportunity.

Arsenic 17
11-07-2012, 11:03 PM
i am also unsure if not hitting a rock is even require for the achievment, as I swear I hit one. For some reason, ultra hard unlocked for me after my normal playthrough. So i just started playing that. It unlocked about three gold mini games in. I picked take a risk everytime. Also it popped in the middle of the game when I picked up a diamond. I am guessing I didnt have enough of them through my first playthrough. I can 100% confirm that leaves dont affect the counter at all. Hit them all you want.