PDA

View Full Version : How Will Kinect Handle shooters?

A Moldy Stump
11-23-2010, 05:14 PM
With rumors of Alan Wake 2 and a Gears of War coming to kinect how will it handle movement? I can obviously see how shooting aiming reloading and weapon swap would work. but what about running, diving, hiding behind walls, even jumping gaps and grabbing ledges?

Coxy x360a
11-23-2010, 05:17 PM
Crouch - crouch
Grab a ledge - grab a ledge
Running - run on the spot
Jumping gaps - run and jump
Dive - faceplant into your tv screen :p

A Moldy Stump
11-23-2010, 05:25 PM
What about different directions and I really dont think I want to faceplant my TV...

Capn Doug
11-23-2010, 05:37 PM
I think they are reffering to some sort of kinect capability, not Kinect only. Similar to Harry Potter where there is a specific game mode that can be played with Kinect. There will probably be some level of enhancement when using kinect, such as using a turret or conversing with a character.

A Moldy Stump
11-23-2010, 05:49 PM
In order for Kinect to truly be a success though it will need a fully kinect played game thats a shooter. or atleast some type of adventure game. because if it just bunch of arcade style point and shooters and sports games.. kinect wont win

TAI JASON
11-24-2010, 10:32 AM
In order for Kinect to truly be a success though it will need a fully kinect played game thats a shooter. or atleast some type of adventure game. because if it just bunch of arcade style point and shooters and sports games.. kinect wont win

I think a role playing game is possible, a shooter would be very dificult because you need fast reactions. The only problem is the walkin/running. I can not stand 3 ours walking the hell out of the game.

I think speech commands could be a solution. Short words like "reload" "go" "stop" "left" "right" or you walk with the left hand like a virtual 3D gamestick (trasparent corsur on the screen) or MS brings up a little handremote for controlls like a smal stick/digi cross. Thats the only problem with kinect...but stell batallion will be controller free so i think they have a solution....

Kaktus Fuz
11-24-2010, 11:50 AM
I'm looking forward to some more hardcore games coming to the kinect.
Personally I would like to see how rpg's would be to play with kinect functionality.

romans58snrsvd
11-27-2010, 01:08 AM
I've actually thought about this a lot myself, and here's how I thought of it. You would need a gun prop. It should be universal across all games, to be honest I think that it would be helpful. There should be a limited amount of buttons on it. I.E. A stick to move your character, possible a sprint button for gears of war. And just a D-Pad to change equipment or grenade types etc. You would turn and look up and down to change your field of view. Throw the weapon behind your back and pull it out again to switch guns. Grab your hip and throw to throw a grenade. Crouch and prone to obviously do crouch and prone. It obviously requires more work than I put into it, and I didn't word this very well but in my head it sounds marvelous. :)

A Moldy Stump
11-27-2010, 03:16 AM
but then its not kinect enabled the whole point is controller-free gaming as soon as you make a peripheral that all goes out the window..

Dz06lt
11-27-2010, 03:19 AM
it wont plain and simple, not without some kind of add-on which has buttons.

Killerzo 1994
11-27-2010, 03:44 AM
Just think about it, even if Kinect could handle shooters like well (betting that it wont), why play without the controller, it would be no good online cause everyone with a controller in hand would have a better reaction time with you. And unless its great to the point of being something close to like virtual reality it honestly wouldn't be worth it. But thats just one lazy mans opinion ;p

Kramericus
11-27-2010, 04:17 AM
Biggest problem for kinect once you get off "on the rails" games I think would be turning around and switching directions with the sort of speed you need in a shooter or platformer. I think weapon switching and reloading could get a bit awkward too. Would be great for some sort of voice controls though, think it could really shine with that. Give squads orders and such.

institutions
11-27-2010, 04:38 AM
I think speech commands could be a solution. Short words like "reload" "go" "stop" "left" "right" ...

That would be fun as hell.

"Gogogogogogo! Right, prone, reload, gogogogogogogo! No stop! Turn around damnit! Gogogogogo! Crouch..I mean prone! Fuck!"

rvlution
11-27-2010, 05:40 PM
They should take it slow and start with an on-rails shooter.

Mendokusai
11-27-2010, 07:33 PM
I don't want to see any FPS games on Kinect. What's interesting about Kinect is that it opens up opportunities for NEW types of games.

Dz06lt
11-28-2010, 02:18 AM
That would be fun as hell.

"Gogogogogogo! Right, prone, reload, gogogogogogogo! No stop! Turn around damnit! Gogogogogo! Crouch..I mean prone! Fuck!"

pew pew pew

JoBE242
11-28-2010, 01:41 PM
I think kinect is great! The quality of the games available at the time for it's release was beyond my expectations and upcoming games will be even better. Now I would like to see games that uses kinect and a controller at the same time, that would be sweet!