PDA

View Full Version : Worst game ever....

Judivarious
11-27-2010, 09:03 PM
Nuff said.

Seriously, what do people find so interesting about a game where you're constantly repetitively running through dark forests fighting off shadows and inanimate objects?

Somebody please tell me.

oDrPepper
11-27-2010, 09:07 PM
I think you're overreacting here. Sure, you may not like the game and you're entitled to your opinion, but how can this possibly be the worst game ever? It has a better storyline than most games, and the gameplay can be somewhat repetitive as you mentioned, but I still thought it was brilliant.

Aceman417
11-27-2010, 09:12 PM
Yeah I agree with ^. It is a great game and I'm not putting down your opinion or anything, but I think your wrong.

So OP, what didn't you like about Alan Wake?

Judivarious
11-27-2010, 11:34 PM
Yeah I agree with ^. It is a great game and I'm not putting down your opinion or anything, but I think your wrong.

So OP, what didn't you like about Alan Wake?

The fact that 90% of the landscapes are me in a forest. The broken combat system, the fact that my achievements are broken and unlocking in a weird order.....for example, I got all 3 difficulty achievements already, and I haven't even beaten the game yet....I got the "get all the manuscript pages on Normal" when I turned on a Television...I still do not have certain achievements I should have by now, such as defeating 20 inanimate objects or for using 100 batteries, defeating 100 birds....

Game seems like it wasn't tested, and for the x amount of years it was delayed, you think some of these problems would have been fixed.....

oDrPepper
11-27-2010, 11:41 PM
To me it sounds that it's just a problem with your game. I didn't experience any glitches at all and everything unlocked as it should. The repetitive use of strolling through forests was probably the thing I disliked most about the game, but they were gorgeous so I can forgive that.

I can understand what you're saying though, I'd be pissed too if I was in your position but it sounds more like a problem with your individual game rather than the game itself.

Also, may I ask what is broken about the combat system?

Judivarious
11-27-2010, 11:46 PM
To me it sounds that it's just a problem with your game. I didn't experience any glitches at all and everything unlocked as it should. The repetitive use of strolling through forests was probably the thing I disliked most about the game, but they were gorgeous so I can forgive that.

I can understand what you're saying though, I'd be pissed too if I was in your position but it sounds more like a problem with your individual game rather than the game itself.

I've noticed that sometimes when an enemy swings at you, if you dodge, and you can clearly see his weapon doesn't physically touch you, you still get hurt for some reason.

oDrPepper
11-27-2010, 11:48 PM
I've noticed that sometimes when an enemy swings at you, if you dodge, and you can clearly see his weapon doesn't physically touch you, you still get hurt for some reason.

No idea then, the only gripe I had was their obsession with throwing axes at you if you got more than 6ft away.

TheHatter
11-28-2010, 03:28 AM
Off topic, I wanted to say how impressed I was with how this thread turned out. I assumed the OP was just trolling and everyone was going to start flaming him for not liking the game, but you all did a very nice job discussing your opinions in a civilized manner. Bravo.

On topic, kinda, I was thinking about getting this game if I could find it somewhere cheap. Thanks for letting me know what to watch for and what to expect.

Daluca 47
11-29-2010, 03:11 AM
Alan Wake is way better then alot of games i can think of like

World at War
Black Ops
Two Worlds
Ninja Bread Man
Quantum Theory
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2
Nintey-Nine Nights
Bioshock

(remember this is all just my opinion)

CIF
11-29-2010, 05:25 AM
Custer's Revenge and ET, people. Custer's Revenge......

Daluca 47
11-29-2010, 06:57 AM
Custer's Revenge and ET, people. Custer's Revenge......

Agreed but im try to keep to games in more recent times, but yes. Those are far worse.

DarknessReborn
11-29-2010, 08:33 PM
As stated about u are entitled to your own opnion and i respect and value ur opnion, but IMO this is an awesome game!! Im so glad i picked it up because when i first preorderd it was very unsure about it.

I picked this game up at my gamestops midnight release along with PoP:Forgotten Sands, and Red Dead Redemption. I found myself playing Alan Wake more than the other two games lol :)

Fokma
11-30-2010, 03:52 AM
I think this game is more about getting engrossed in the atmosphere and the story then it is about the action. Go ahead hate it, I personally am still enjoying it and intend to finish it even though I have to restart after my HDD got wiped.

martin32608
11-30-2010, 07:59 AM
The fact that 90% of the landscapes are me in a forest. The broken combat system, the fact that my achievements are broken and unlocking in a weird order.....for example, I got all 3 difficulty achievements already, and I haven't even beaten the game yet....I got the "get all the manuscript pages on Normal" when I turned on a Television...I still do not have certain achievements I should have by now, such as defeating 20 inanimate objects or for using 100 batteries, defeating 100 birds....

Game seems like it wasn't tested, and for the x amount of years it was delayed, you think some of these problems would have been fixed.....

Yea sounds like you got a defective copy. But if this wasn't the game for you then don't play it. I thought this game was gonna be horrible. Just because a game does not have alot of press coverage i.e "black ops" does not mean it is a bad game. I worked a gamestop for a while and nothing really said about game, so I missed out. But now im barely playing it and loving it!

AmbaLaBamba
12-01-2010, 08:31 PM
I thought this was a fantastic game. It was a welcomed break in my opinion to the heaps of MP games I had been sticking my nose in to. As for the story, it was fantastic! Characters were interesting and gameplay aspects on the whole were good.

I agree that some bits weren't great but every game has their flaws, Alan Wake has one of the BEST storylines IMO.

Worhammer
12-01-2010, 08:44 PM

Black Ops
Bioshock

Alan Wake is a great game, but I wouldn't say it's better than any of these. And I don't even like TFU2. Or Black Ops. You can't really compare these to Alan Wake, because they're completely different genres. That's like saying "Alan Wake is better than watching a harry potter movie!" - well, maybe or maybe not, but watching a movie has nothing to do with the quality of Alan Wake.

And as for it being better than Bioshock, you sir, are on crack. Unless you mean Bioshock 2. Then it's debatable.

RunDMC
12-02-2010, 12:52 AM
Nuff said.Seriously, what do people find so interesting about a game where you're constantly repetitively running through dark forests fighting off shadows and inanimate objects?
I'm sorry but I can't help but laugh since you avatar is FF13 snow.
BUT I kinda agree with you, i found the fighting in some parts really crappy but fortunately, I am a SP hardcore and took my time to make a 6-7 hours replay and analyses of the story. I don't want to sound rude but have you actually ended the game? If so what do you think of the story and its details? Did it make you think? What conclusion about the small details and big events have you reached?

Thank you for your time and please excuse me if I sounded impolite

EricDC
12-02-2010, 03:18 AM
I personally don't read books at all very much. I don't really watch TV or movies all that often (besides sports). But I play video games all the time. So when a game like Alan wake comes around that has mediocre gameplay, but an amazingly well-done storyline and introduces a new concept (the whole light/dark thing), I can't help but to enjoy it. I love the storyline and the whole episode thing, kinda like a TV show.

Alan Wake may not be the best game, but at least they are trying out some new concepts and ideas that will make games down the road even more interesting.

ModernViking
12-05-2010, 12:08 AM
Might be about narrative or something like that...... people gets into stuff like this thats all dark and spooky like....

litepink
12-05-2010, 12:25 AM
The OP said already stated 'nuff said so no sense in arguing or replying. I mean, I think Eragon or Fuzion Frenzy 2 were bad, but...like I said, 'nuff said was already stated so it would be pointless to argue.

Maybe we could squeak the word fail in there while were at it, since that's another End-All internet term.

KrossWinter
12-05-2010, 04:10 AM
I can agree with the whole repetively running through forests as something that subtracts from the game, but I disagree with you when you say that it sucks.

My achievements for it unlocked at the rate they were supposed to as I got them. Everything that seems to be happening to you makes me think that you simply got a defective copy that needs to be gotten rid of.

But the story line is much richer than many of the games that are out on the market and holds a much deeper thriller-horror feel than most of what the gaming circle is offering.

I wish you luck in finding a better copy if you do so choose.

Kneecromancer
12-06-2010, 07:09 PM
I've only got about an hour into the game, but the story line seems compelling enough for me to play.

CIF
12-06-2010, 07:59 PM
And as for it being better than Bioshock, you sir, are on crack. Unless you mean Bioshock 2. Then it's debatable.
This is not as hard as you think.

Vanilla Coke Zero
12-07-2010, 10:17 PM
wow, you're talking about repetitive gameplay when your fucking avatar is of snow from FF13? FF13 is the most repetitive fucking game this generation.

In Flames
12-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Nuff said.

Seriously, what do people find so interesting about a game where you're constantly repetitively running through dark forests fighting off shadows and inanimate objects?

Somebody please tell me.

Maybe you should go back to playing CoD then

pined5551
12-12-2010, 01:40 AM
Nuff said.

Somebody please tell me.

The same reason people love running repetivley through any environment shooting at things (all shooter games) or driving around a race track or street over and over (all racer games). Seriously! WTF is the point of this thread, other than for you to complain about how you don't like a game you bought?

Free Beer
12-14-2010, 05:02 AM
Nuff said.

Somebody please tell me.

you're an idiot.

Earthworm Jim
12-14-2010, 09:07 PM
psychology 101: the boy is looking for attention. And we gave it to him

Spectre XVI
12-14-2010, 11:46 PM
Are you guys for real? One of my favorite games of all time!
Final Fantasy is gay Nuff said

kak2sjak
12-15-2010, 06:38 AM
wow, you're talking about repetitive gameplay when your fucking avatar is of snow from FF13? FF13 is the most repetitive fucking game this generation.

agreed! my wife plays that game like something different and amazing is going to happen...i continuously ask her why the hell someone would randomly walk up to a gigantic robot thing instead of picking it off while it's not looking

Darc Jak
12-21-2010, 07:18 AM
I've had no real problems with this game. It's one of my favorite thrillers f all time.

Gor1lla
12-21-2010, 10:55 AM
Nuff said.

Somebody please tell me.

The story?

T3z
12-29-2010, 01:04 AM
Actually, the worst video game ever made is Legendary

clydebankcelt
12-29-2010, 02:35 AM
Didn't fancy this game, but bought it second hand today. Love it. lights out, and play away. Roy orbison singing too.....class. Just pissed at missing the xmas givaway on the d'l content.

veece16
12-29-2010, 02:41 AM
I've played around on the game on my friends account, and I don't see what's so bad about it. It's something different from Halo and CoD, it has suspense to it which just adds to the fun.

xxsaurus
12-29-2010, 05:18 AM
I've played it a little and I like it so far. The story is actually really good and you can get into a lot more then other games like CoD and halo...plus his almost monotone talking when he's reading the manuscript pages adds to the intensity

Juzt Skillz
12-29-2010, 07:27 AM

I got the game for 20$ and finished it, brilliant game. I agree with oDrPepper as none of these happened to me at all.

MrBoysen
12-29-2010, 01:01 PM
This is one of the greatest game Ive ever played! Awesome storyline! Great replay value!

xTGMx INF3RNO
12-29-2010, 01:16 PM
I think its brilliant. Good story is not repeative to me because its always diffrent scenary

JuSt BLaZe
12-29-2010, 01:27 PM
Actually, the worst video game ever made is Legendary

Nope, Golden Axe: Beast Rider. Alan Wake was aiight. It's a good game.

xTGMx INF3RNO
12-29-2010, 01:32 PM
Last remant was shocking. very dissapointed

Lazt One
12-29-2010, 01:46 PM
absolutly nothing

rap220
12-29-2010, 04:27 PM
Mummy returns on ps2

lordthrash
01-01-2011, 07:47 PM
Playing this right now and i am loving it!! I don't like being suddenly surrounded with the taken but i absolutely am loving this game. The graphics are good, the story is good, the gameplay is good, the only bad point is always being surrounded when the taken attack. I give it 10/10 stars though, seeing as i find it very hard to put down!

ChaosTheory2
01-04-2011, 10:14 PM
This was one of my favorite games. The story was incredible in my opinion, up there with Bioshock. I enjoyed the combat and the atmosphere was amazing. I never had one problem playing the game and I 1500'ed it (I'm not stroking my ego, I'm just saying) and still think about maybe popping it in and playing the chapter where you're on the stage fighting taken.

I really don't have any complaints with the game. If you want something truly repetitive, go play Mad Moxxi's or Dead Money. Those are repetitive.

juzzy
01-11-2011, 03:10 AM
This game is awesome, easily in the Top 3 of 2010!

Dz06lt
01-11-2011, 03:14 AM
the game is very repetitive, but its the story that keeps you enthralled. Its 2011 people take time to enjoy these games stories. They are far more developed than any other generation.

FSparacino4
01-11-2011, 05:25 AM
Nuff said.

Somebody please tell me.

How exactly are you defining "repetitvely"? It seems by your standard, Call of Duty and Halo are repetitive as in ll you do is run and shoot, run and shoot. This game has probably the best story in any video game to date, second to maybe Red Dead Redemption. Your are entitled to your opinion, but the majority of people who played this game enjoyed it and it was even a hit among the critics.

An engrossing story, beautiful graphics, and a new concept introduced to the video game world in a year full of sequels, I for one enjoyed every minute of it and can't wait for more.

I R BFOG
01-13-2011, 08:31 AM
IMO Terminator Salvation was the most boring repetitive game ever lol.

I thought Alan Wake was fantastic. I don't normally enjoy cut scenes but they were immersive and really added to the story. The collectibles in this game actually helped in some way, whether through adding to the story or weapons or ammo. Well except for the coffee thermoses lol which were better than shooting pigeons atleast :Bounce: . Just finished my 2nd play through in 2 days. Gonna start my nightmare run shortly and when i collect all the nightmare manuscripts I'm going to listen to them all in order. Brilliant concept for a game.

Almost as good as Bioshock 1 IMO. Storywise that is.

Perasnovitch
01-15-2011, 08:57 PM
Worst game ever ??

Have you ever played Hour of Victory ? Rogue Warrior ? Jumper ?

I agree with you on a point, I hate that we are always in the forrest running around and the fighting system is awful, flashlight and a gun really?

But as far as the overall overview:

Graphic: A+
Story: A+
Sound: A+

Gameplay: C

I've barely played so far, only two chapter, already bored with the combat but the story is interesting so I'll get the 1500 G

Blazman83
01-25-2011, 01:16 AM
I have to agree with the majority here, ive been playing games since i was old enough to hold an Atari Joystick back in the 80's theres far worse games than Alan Wake. But in an era that seems to be dominated by FPS games i thought this game was a breath of fresh air. I never found it repetitive or got bored of running around forests as I was to busy lookin for collectables and running for my life! Plus i liked the way they let you drive in vehicles to break the gameplay up.

I have to say one thing I like about this game is Alan Wake isnt your usual protaganist, he's a normal guy so I dont think theres anything wrong with the combat system its supposed to be difficult as funnily enough an axe to the back means he dies easily, so this game makes you think about survival not jus blast everything to bits til you get to the end.

Perasnovitch
01-29-2011, 11:22 PM
Achievements wise the game suck tho....And why putting the Statistic page in Extra but without saying in which level you miss your thing. Was it that hard for the developper to put a system like in Enslaved, collectible by level ?

106 manuscript
100 coffee thermoses
30 chests
11 radio show
14 tv shows.

After one playthru I'm at;

59/106 manu
49/100 thermoses
2/12 pyramid
2/30 chests found
10/11 Radio Show
13/14 Tv Show

The radio and TV show is pissing me off, since I miss only 1 of each and I have no clue where I missed it, so I need to play the game all over again, following a stupid video guide and IIRC you need to finish the level to get the stats update?

Collectibles are fine...But when you have 10 differents things to look for its getting lame.

Starlight126
01-30-2011, 02:28 AM
Totally agreed on Pera's comment about achievements. This game has achievements which are really the kind I hate: missables (a ton) and collectibles. Collectibles aren't so painful all in all when you're allowed to get them rather easily. But come on, 251 of them, most hidden, most of which hidden in the dark, seriously? Not a single chance to replay a level without starting a whole new playthrough, seriously? The gameplay is unforgivable, I'm yet to finish this game but it's been horrible up to now. I'll give my definite opinion once it's finished (currently at Episode 5), but I think I'll stick with a 9-10 on plot, depending if it gets back on the right path or it continues on the lame story which is rising in the middle of the narrative, 8 to musics and just 0 to the gameplay. It has probably the worst gameplay I've come across in a while, if not ever. The main character is a fatass who can't sprint more than 5 seconds, and his enemies are always faster; they surround him a ton of times and they hit so much as you're dead as soon as they're on you if you let them, and worst thing, they respawn, there's no way to gain extra ammos, and the backtrack and exploration is VERY discouraged because of these flaws (no way to fight enemies if you keep messing around, what the fuck? It goes just the opposite way than the "search items" policy which requires a lot of backtrack and full exploration). Sometimes you're left completely without any defense, and even if you maximise the kills with your ammos, I won't say you have barely enough to beat the enemies not counting the respawns, but it's almost barely enough. Its biggest flaw is probably the attempt of making it too much realistic, without thinking that the hero of a story can be weak, but the hero of a videogame can't. This game is wrong, it shouldn't be a game at all, it seems that the gameplay is only an uncomfortable excuse to develop the story, and it's confirmed by the total absence of enemies characterization and layouts, basically always the same shadow through the whole story, the presence of ammos, batteries and flashlights where they shouldn't be at all, yet they're there because the developers needed to make a game in order to continue with the story. Every enemy seems to be just a random folk put in that place not for a particular reason; not to mention the areas you visit, which are (again, at least up to now) always forests haunted by these shadows. Of course you can say that all games have a "repetitive gameplay" because they consist of doing the same thing over and over -- shooting in shooters, "find the clues, assassinate the target in Assassins' Creed" and so on, but this game goes beyond this, it doesn't have any patterns, you're not making any progress, you're fighting the same stuff all the time, with enemies coming up on you always the same way with some ambushes, you use your lights on them, a couple of revolver bullets gone and you move to the next ambush. No way, this is not a gameplay at all, and the gameplay makes 70% of a game, graphics, plot and musics and other miscs belong to the rest of 30%. With a 0/10 worthy gameplay, I can't imagine what were they doing during these 4 years, and I don't care. What I know is that they should have made a decent gameplay, an ordinary one which could suit such a good background, which is actually the main point of the whole game (the story). It's just messed, turned upside down. It's a mis-born movie/book, a wasted idea, what a pity, and what a pain to play.

xanderthezeppo
01-30-2011, 02:41 AM
I think this game is more about getting engrossed in the atmosphere and the story then it is about the action.
I agree with this, I had a lot of fun with the story and look forward to the, hopefully, upcoming game.

nightrainX
01-30-2011, 11:37 PM
just finished alan wake ... great game!

Wortsenawl
01-31-2011, 10:10 AM
Starlight... that was one hell of a wall of text... I couldn't get past line 1.

On topic tho'. I started playing on Friday I think (only on normal) and finished the game last night. Awesome.

Re the collectibles. I managed to get all TVs, but missed a radio apparently, yet I have 11 radio programmes listed in the extras section. So that is strange. Otherwise, I don't really mind. It was enjoyable enough for me to play through the game again and collect anything I missed, even if it means starting over.

A fantastic job on a fantastic game.

edit: I persevered and managed to read some of the mammoth post above. In response. The shadow enemies are different and related to the area you are in. Some have guns, some have axes, some have scythes, some have chainsaws, some have hammers... I could go on, but I think I made my point.

They also do look different once you have eliminated the darkness from them, but at first glance you are right, they all look like shadows. But then, I think that was the point.

And Barry is awesome!

Starlight126
01-31-2011, 12:05 PM
What a lazy child, you don't discuss with people if you're unable to read a post which goes beyond "this game is awesome" or "it sucks 'nuff said". You didn't argument your post at all, you just answered saying the most stupid thing you could "but they're different" - no they are not, they're just slightly with a different layout, but they act the exact same way: small guys throwing items, big guys charging at you, and then one of the "bosses" of the game, who teleports everywhere, becomes a possible third type of enemy. This is not a set of enemies, and they're just random folks who're not there "differently according to the areas". They're the shadows of characters which mix up and stack as you go on, if you couldn't figure this out that's your problem and your pleasure wanking your mind thinking this was awesome, but probably your gaming experience is confined to games on these standards and you have no idea how a game should be. Or you just loved the way you could learn two enemy patterns and be already finished with all the gaming Alan Wake has to offer. Well, I'm not satisfied, I expect a game to give me more than two enemies.
And I don't think you could go on, since that's the whole arsenal. The point is not that one, the point is they all act the same way, there's no fun at all when you only have to point a light to de-shield your enemies, then do the same with everyone, and expect nothing else. All the game can, and is likely to, be played with a simple backtrack tactic: light-light-turn-light-light-turn-light-revolver-turn-light-revolver. And see you to the next ambush. It's lame, it's repetitive, there's no reason for there should be an enemy in a library, they're shadows, the character is constantly bound to go outside at night, COME ON, you can't just make a gameplay based on shadows and completely nullify any sunlight experience because you developers are too lazy to make different enemies for sun zones too. This sucks, if you can't get it that's your problem, really, but you should start playing something better than the shit you must be used to if you think this game is somehow "awesome" for its gameplay. It's the abortion of a movie made videogame, it's clear it shouldn't be a game at all if its chore is the plot, and all that shadow serves to nothing since it doesn't even scare, it just prevents the player to see where he's going. They didn't even make the effort of putting in a map for the game, and it's all completely broken. This game is an insult to any other videogame, but its story and musics could fit a decent triller movie. That's all. And if you can't argue and state your points, avoid an answer at all, lazy child.

About your radios, if you manage in the excruciating effort of reading until this point, know that there's one or two radio after the last one which counts towards the achievement, so you may have skipped one which counted and then got one which didn't; I'm sure there's at least one of them, in a hut at the end of the game, where you have to climb a sort of rail to get on the other side of the hut and then you get ambushed by quite many Takens; that radio show will not feature an interview or a comment or whatsoever, but will almost immediately start with a music track by the two brothers of rock. I can't say it for sure, but it might be what caused the misunderstanding.

Barry is an hysterical annoying extra character, poorly developed and useless to the gameplay and the story itself could survive without him; he's just the typical clown who gets in trouble.

Pollux42
01-31-2011, 05:56 PM
This game is solid in game play but the it's weakness are glaring. Narrative and continuity being the main offenders. It doesn't take a thesis statement to explain that.

Wortsenawl
01-31-2011, 06:30 PM
lotsa stuff

okay, so you got me... I pretty much listed all the enemies, maybe I missed one or two. But the point is, they are what they are. Within the format of the game they serve their purpose. Of course, there is the Poltergeist as well.

I do understand what you are saying, but for me, it's all I needed to keep the game moving along. I didn't get bored, though yes, that isn't to say more diverse enemies or different methods of attack would not serve to make the game better.

However, I think the story is solid and intriguing.

I will admit that perhaps my expectations weren't as great as yours. I just bought the game for £15 (new), so to me I don't feel like I was ripped off as it also included the signal DLC. I did think at the end, well that was mighty quick, at least I have to play on Nightmare to drag the experience out a little. My view may also change depending on whether I enjoy the DLC and / or the Nightmare playthrough. As is though, it was a refreshing change.

I didn't want to go into a huge argument about why the game is great for a couple of reasons... primarily, I probably can't add anything that hasn't already been said. Secondly, it doesn't matter what I say, it wont change your view and that is fine. We can't all like the same games. Thirdly, at the time I wasn't able.

So why post at all? Well, because I wanted to add support to a game I thoroughly enjoyed. Yes, it was too short. Or perhaps, too long depending on if you thought the game was shit or not.

As for my 'experience' of games. I like all sorts.

if you couldn't figure this out that's your problem and your pleasure wanking your mind thinking this was awesome, but probably your gaming experience is confined to games on these standards and you have no idea how a game should be. Or you just loved the way you could learn two enemy patterns and be already finished with all the gaming Alan Wake has to offer. Well, I'm not satisfied, I expect a game to give me more than two enemies.In answer to this. It isn't my problem at all. I was perfectly contented. It is you who take issue with Alan Wake as a game.

Not sure what pleasure wanking my mind is, but sure, I will go with that if it helps any.

As far as enemy patterns are concerned. It actually felt more that I should not be standing and fighting, rather avoiding confrontation unless there was no other option. So I did like the last stand elements, but would have preferred more than five shadows at any given time. One flashbang and you are safe. Perhaps nightmare mode will placate my need for terror on that front.

All in all though. You could still break the text up a little :)

Edit: Of forgot about Barry. I thought he was an annoying fuckwad at the beginning of the game and just wanted him dead. However, by the end he was great and was happy to have him at my side. The Christmas lights and the stage show changed my mind.

Edit 2: Oh, and thanks for the radios tip - much appreciated.

The Eddmeister
01-31-2011, 06:45 PM
I enjoyed the game. The story kept me enthralled, I do love a game with a good storyline :)
But I agree the combat can be repetative at time, but its not an action game, its an atmospheric thriller so the combat takes a back seat, hence why it suffered a tad

CIF
01-31-2011, 08:16 PM
Not a single chance to replay a level without starting a whole new playthrough, seriously?
Uh, no. Gunless Wonder and Meet the Deadline would be annoying if this were true, but it's not.

ozgoon56
02-01-2011, 12:49 AM
I managed to get all TVs, but missed a radio apparently, yet I have 11 radio programmes listed in the extras section. So that is strange.

When you enter the radio station building you're listening to the broadcast over the building's speakers before the DJ lets you in. That counts as the 11th Radio that you think you're missing. The guide really should be amended on this one.

And I did enjoy your last rebuttal post, very well done. Except that I thought that Barry was a great character right from the start. :)

Perasnovitch
02-01-2011, 08:09 AM
What a lazy child, you don't discuss with people if you're unable to read a post which goes beyond "this game is awesome" or "it sucks 'nuff said". You didn't argument your post at all, you just answered saying the most stupid thing you could "but they're different" - no they are not, they're just slightly with a different layout, but they act the exact same way: small guys throwing items, big guys charging at you, and then one of the "bosses" of the game, who teleports everywhere, becomes a possible third type of enemy. This is not a set of enemies, and they're just random folks who're not there "differently according to the areas". They're the shadows of characters which mix up and stack as you go on, if you couldn't figure this out that's your problem and your pleasure wanking your mind thinking this was awesome, but probably your gaming experience is confined to games on these standards and you have no idea how a game should be. Or you just loved the way you could learn two enemy patterns and be already finished with all the gaming Alan Wake has to offer. Well, I'm not satisfied, I expect a game to give me more than two enemies.
And I don't think you could go on, since that's the whole arsenal. The point is not that one, the point is they all act the same way, there's no fun at all when you only have to point a light to de-shield your enemies, then do the same with everyone, and expect nothing else. All the game can, and is likely to, be played with a simple backtrack tactic: light-light-turn-light-light-turn-light-revolver-turn-light-revolver. And see you to the next ambush. It's lame, it's repetitive, there's no reason for there should be an enemy in a library, they're shadows, the character is constantly bound to go outside at night, COME ON, you can't just make a gameplay based on shadows and completely nullify any sunlight experience because you developers are too lazy to make different enemies for sun zones too. This sucks, if you can't get it that's your problem, really, but you should start playing something better than the shit you must be used to if you think this game is somehow "awesome" for its gameplay. It's the abortion of a movie made videogame, it's clear it shouldn't be a game at all if its chore is the plot, and all that shadow serves to nothing since it doesn't even scare, it just prevents the player to see where he's going. They didn't even make the effort of putting in a map for the game, and it's all completely broken. This game is an insult to any other videogame, but its story and musics could fit a decent triller movie. That's all. And if you can't argue and state your points, avoid an answer at all, lazy child.

About your radios, if you manage in the excruciating effort of reading until this point, know that there's one or two radio after the last one which counts towards the achievement, so you may have skipped one which counted and then got one which didn't; I'm sure there's at least one of them, in a hut at the end of the game, where you have to climb a sort of rail to get on the other side of the hut and then you get ambushed by quite many Takens; that radio show will not feature an interview or a comment or whatsoever, but will almost immediately start with a music track by the two brothers of rock. I can't say it for sure, but it might be what caused the misunderstanding.

Barry is an hysterical annoying extra character, poorly developed and useless to the gameplay and the story itself could survive without him; he's just the typical clown who gets in trouble.
:bow::bow:

I couldn't have said it better myself. You hit the nail!

I just don't agree with the Barry part but the rest is exactly my thoughts on the game.

Wortsenawl
02-01-2011, 09:50 AM
When you enter the radio station building you're listening to the broadcast over the building's speakers before the DJ lets you in. That counts as the 11th Radio that you think you're missing. The guide really should be amended on this one.

But that is the odd thing, I have completed the game. Any way, I will take Starlight's advice and check the later chapters again.

Starlight126
02-01-2011, 08:16 PM
If you guys find Barry an ok character, play the DLCs first, then tell me how developed and complete his role is.
Uh, no. Gunless Wonder and Meet the Deadline would be annoying if this were true, but it's not.You're right, to the letter it's not true and I completely missed that menu. Unfortunately, it still doesn't provide a decent save system since you cannot make a second playthrough without deleting your first, just featuring the movie mentality according to which you choose where to reproduce your DVD, but it's always like if you haven't ever played it. And I can't really imagine someone who doesn't get bored and annoyed by the total lack of manual saves on different slots when going for some achievements.

Xavier Chronos
02-01-2011, 08:20 PM
Gotta disagree with you, only because I have to ask. Have you PLAYED Tenchu Z? It's Frikken Terrible.

Echilion
02-01-2011, 11:25 PM
I personally enjoyed the game very much, if the DLC goes on sale again(I missed the first sale :() I will definitely pick it up.

But worst game ever? There is far worse

Though, to each his own

ozgoon56
02-02-2011, 01:11 AM
If you guys find Barry an ok character, play the DLCs first, then tell me how developed and complete his role is.

I have played both DLCs and there's still nothing wrong with Barry as a character.

Because of the way that Barry is used in the DLC I wouldn't expect anything to be added to his character, and besides, if I want a fully developed secondary character then I'll go read a book. A game has very limited opportunity for that kind of development.

Yes, Barry can be abrasive and annoying at times, but that's the intention of the character portayal. He also provides many of the lighter, funnier moments in the game and I wouldn't have him any other way. It's part of striking a balance and playing characters against one another and it happens in all entertainment media. Barry remains consistent throughout and the story would lose a lot without him there as a foil to Alan's endeavours.

Just by way of comparison, have you ever watched a tv comedy? All of them have an annoying character in the cast and the shows would not be the same, or as funny without them. I think back to MASH and the earlier series with Frank Burns. His annoying antics helped to make the show what it was, and when he left it was never quite the same again. So I think the same with Alan Wake, if you take Barry out then the story just wouldn't be as good.

Wortsenawl
02-02-2011, 09:18 AM
Unfortunately, it still doesn't provide a decent save system since you cannot make a second playthrough without deleting your first, just featuring the movie mentality according to which you choose where to reproduce your DVD, but it's always like if you haven't ever played it. And I can't really imagine someone who doesn't get bored and annoyed by the total lack of manual saves on different slots when going for some achievements.

I don't think starlight is going to be persuaded otherwise on any points of the game which we believe are not "The worst game ever."

Though Starlight has persevered with it I notice. Good going for a game which you seem to abhor. How many playthroughs did it take? I only ask because I am wondering if that in part is why you despise the game so much?

kgould01
02-03-2011, 01:14 AM
sorry to say this but alot of games are repetitive. the storylines is what makes games good these days.

Perasnovitch
02-03-2011, 04:57 AM
sorry to say this but alot of games are repetitive. the storylines is what makes games good these days.
:eek:

Who cares about the storyline really. I play video game for the "gameplay". Alan Wake story was nothing great. Red Dead Redemption had a good story but who cares, If I want a good story, I'll watch Its a wonderful Life, Once Upon a Time in the West, One flew over a cuckoo's nest or Cidade de Deus. Watch a movie for a story, when i'm gaming I want a good gameplay.

I have plenty of game which I won't ever ever be bored by the gameplay. A lot of game are repetitive but I just don't play those usually. Unfortunately, I had Alan Wake and decided to do it. What a mistake.

LoLMan21
02-03-2011, 06:04 AM

Who cares about the storyline really. I play video game for the "gameplay". Alan Wake story was nothing great. Red Dead Redemption had a good story but who cares, If I want a good story, I'll watch Its a wonderful Life, Once Upon a Time in the West, One flew over a cuckoo's nest or Cidade de Deus. Watch a movie for a story, when i'm gaming I want a good gameplay.

I have plenty of game which I won't ever ever be bored by the gameplay. A lot of game are repetitive but I just don't play those usually. Unfortunately, I had Alan Wake and decided to do it. What a mistake.

The game play was meh. I personally loved the storyline. After awhile i just got bored with the whole idea of flash light killing enemies. At the same time the story kept me playing till the end. I don't know about the DLC stuff. I don't think it would make me keep playing the game.

It's not the worst game or the best. I think it has its moments. We can all agree to disagree. lol

Perasnovitch
02-03-2011, 09:03 AM
The game play was meh. I personally loved the storyline. After awhile i just got bored with the whole idea of flash light killing enemies. At the same time the story kept me playing till the end. I don't know about the DLC stuff. I don't think it would make me keep playing the game.

It's not the worst game or the best. I think it has its moments. We can all agree to disagree. lol

I agree, its far from being the worst game ever. Not even remotely close.

I 1000/1000 Hour of Victory and Rogue Warrior... Gave up on Jumper since it was that bad. Those game are in contention for worst game ever on the 360.

Alan Wake wouldn't even make my top-10 worst game I've played (including demo) but as far as i'm concern, its the most overhyped and overrated Action/Adventure game on the 360.

PC_GFWL_GAMER
02-03-2011, 09:42 AM
Not worse game ever but in places its very frustrating & poorly coded. The controls & collision detection are pretty bad & result in needless easy deaths & backtracking (or on the DLC you have to restart again from the start!!).

It needed tweaking a little more as well putting limits on ammo/batteries was dumb as was the glitch where you could just run through a lot of the game to the next light!

Wortsenawl
02-03-2011, 09:52 AM
It needed tweaking a little more as well putting limits on ammo/batteries was dumb as was the glitch where you could just run through a lot of the game to the next light!

The limit was to increase the tension. Unlimited ammo and battery would offer zero to challenge to a game that is relatively easy anyway.

As for the glitch? How is running to the light a glitch? That is the point of the lights, they are safe havens.

PC_GFWL_GAMER
02-03-2011, 02:23 PM
The limit was to increase the tension. Unlimited ammo and battery would offer zero to challenge to a game that is relatively easy anyway.

As for the glitch? How is running to the light a glitch? That is the point of the lights, they are safe havens. Which proves my point as the limit does not increase the tension at all you get unlimited if you run back to certain chests/checkpoints & you can complete almost the entire game by dropping a flare then running to a light so that is a pretty big glitch.

Wortsenawl
02-03-2011, 02:39 PM
There isn't always a chest which you can run back to, is there? From my play-through I recall there being obstacles placed in the way so you can't return to them. If I am wrong then it will make Nightmare much, much easier than I anticipate.

Glitch:
bug: a fault or defect in a computer program, system, or machine

What you speak of is not a glitch, the game was designed that way. Agreed, it may well be poorly designed, but it operated exactly how it was intended.

bigbear2face
02-04-2011, 03:48 PM
I agree with you on a point, I hate that we are always in the forrest running around and the fighting system is awful, flashlight and a gun really?

But as far as the overall overview:

Graphic: A+
Story: A+
Sound: A+

Gameplay: C

I absolutely agree with your scoring system but I'd like to add another category and grade:

Graphical Creativity: C

What I mean is while the environments are very nicely rendered and enhanced by perfect lighting effects they are, as the OP said, REPETITIVE.

I agree that if you want to enjoy something based purely off storyline you should watch a movie or read a book. However, I don't agree that gaming should be purely about the "gameplay". To me the best games perfectly combine storyline and gameplay (Oblivion, older Final Fantasy games, Red Dead, Bioshock etc...). I thought Alan Wake was a good to great game because of its storyline but it's not one of the best I've ever played because its gameplay mechanics are a little wonky. I actually like the flashlight as your aiming reticle and gun combo but the movement and other things just felt awkward at times. However, when you consider the storyline the controls actually make sense to the game. Remember, Alan is a writer NOT a superhero or military special ops. Doing difficult physical activities in an incredibly high stress situation should be relatively more difficult for him and therefore more difficult for you, the person controlling him.

The P1stoleer
02-07-2011, 06:10 AM
I thought I would let this game ride its course before even attempting to play it. I got a few friends playing it saying " How OK it was" or "Not bad too short".
Now I have finally started playing. At first thought not too bad, going backwards and fowards into the storyline ( Quentin Tarantino style). The dark and eerie atmosphere nice touch to the game.....After 4th scene in Act 1.....damn repeatative shadow-zombie enemies over and over again.....Played on normal .....4 shots to kill 1 wtf.
Running out of ammo pretty quick.
Then disastorous gameplay 2nd Act Lovers Peak shooting the The Darkness (another crap game) dodging their axes .l.. ooops shit bear trap .....ooops another bear trap wtf was that all about..
In my estimation good story very shitty gameplay

Cheesemonkey994
02-08-2011, 12:23 AM
I'd like to direct you to E.T. for the Atari!

People love Alan Wake for its atmosphere and story, which are superb imo. I love a good horror story, and Alan delivered.

Armagreth
02-13-2011, 05:17 AM
I just finished up Alan Wake this evening and I'm really not sure what to make of it. The gameplay was really a let down, which would be acceptable were the story any good. Unfortunatly the game fell short on both fronts.

As I mentioned I felt the gameplay was a great dissapointment. If anything it pushed me out and refused to allow me to immerse myself. I appreciate the everyman element to Alan's character shaping his actions (Not being too good with a gun tied to his "I've never held a gun until a few weeks ago" comment). Whilst I'm willing to overlook the poor gunplay as part of the overall feeling I can't really abide by the hideously slow turning, inability to run more than a step without fetching an oxygen tank, or any of the other issues with controls. Not to mention I had several momnents where, even with full ammo, Alan decided he'd rather recieve a pick-axe to the skull than actually shoot his enemy. Whilst the inclusion of flares as a defensive element was welcome the actual implimentation was not. When I pull out a flare I don't want Alan to walk at the pace of a little-chef waitress nor do I want the camera to circle at a ridiculous speed, lens flare obscuring any hope of progress. Issues also abound with various item interactions, Alan would start a generator only to be attacked by one last roaming Taken. Shrugging off the hit he would decide that instead of taking my advice to illuminate his attacker that he'd best get back to the urgent matter of leaving his back exposed for a nice lacerating (All without me actually pressing B again).

The linear gameplay let me down quite an amount too. The developers presented us a idyllic woodland that served no purpose other than to drag Alan from event to event. It's all well and good to bring up the collectibles that are often hidden in the surroundings but it simply adds a few more seconds of treking behind a rock before following the path ever forward to the next "exciting" Taken attack.

When people bring up gameplay issues the Alan Wake fan base seem to respond with a resounding cry of "This game is about the atmosphere and narrative". Very well, it's just a pity this game isn't exactly presenting a premium example of either. Whilst I do conceed that the atmosphere is mildly unsetteling at first the constant repetition of enemies and scenarios begins to detract from this. Certain sections of walking through the forest started out creepy but quickly became worthless as the scenery became pixelated and screamed "LOOK AT ME! I AM A GAME!". Theoretically the game could've been a winner on this front, a psychiatric hospital that isn't just a copy paste from every thriller/horror game ever. Leading out on to a hedge maze no less. Alas both these settings were glossed over and were quickly replaced with yet more identical forests. I doubt this is going to be a popular opinion but Alan Wake doesn't have a narrative half as good as is being made out. Clunky exposition plagues almost every cut-scene and most scripted events. A stunning over use of Deus Ex Machina (Though to be fair, any use is overuse. Note: I accept there's a possible plot point to this, though I want to avoid spoilers as much as I can).

What irks me the most about Alan Wake's narrative is how it is delivered. We don't go to the cinema to read walls of text as it is a visual medium. Video games are an interactive medium and using text to present the story is a terrible mis-use of potential. This is a problem that has been arising more and more, sections of plot delivered in the guise of novellas in game (see: Lost Odyssey etc). This is a weak way to impart information to the player, it would be a better idea to write a novel (To be honest I feel Alan Wake would work as a novel, albeit a cliché ridden derivative of almost every mediocre creative writing student's first essay). Even in games that feature large amounts of text, such as the Final Fantasy series there's a more direct connection, imparted as it is within the gameplay itself. Memos/Notes have long been a staple of this sub-genre of games however the likes of Resident Evil and Silent Hill (For a fantastic narrative see Silent Hill 2) used them sparringly to give minor background or even just hints to puzzles. Alan Wake absolutly rams the concept down the player's throat instead of creating a solid delivery system for the information.

Alan Wake was an alright way to whittle away a few hours when bored but it's hardly the narrative and atmospheric behemoth that it's made out to be. This isn't a negative reflection on anyone that enjoyed the game (S'all subjective really, and despite the scathing tone I can totally see why the game would appeal to some and not others). What annoys me most is how most gamers have been bludgeoned with so many FPS games without much of a story beyond "See that guy? Shoot him!" that we're willing to accept a decisively average game as some sort of masterpiece.

/Rant

ghost2112
02-15-2011, 01:05 PM
I wouldn't call this the worst game ever, nor would I say It was overrated, because it really didn't get that much love. However, I was completely bored by this game and by the midway point, I sent it back. I thought that both the gameplay and enviorments were just too redundant for my taste. I will say that I was really enjoying the story though.

FierceDeityX1
02-16-2011, 06:38 AM
Ok let me tell you something about you said..Just because you dont like it that dosent mean its the worlds worst game, the world dosent revolve around you im not trying to be mean and if you think i am then sorry. For an example GameImformer said that Lego Idiana Jones 2 sucked, even though they said it sucked i loved it,it was my favorite lego game ever....so if you say its the worlds worst game, you just lied........

Marvolo
02-17-2011, 07:48 AM
First of all, Alan Wake is a good game, undoubtable....

BUT: the atmosphere isn't the so intensive like in Silent Hill 1 & 2, and I can't understand why the most people in here are so delighted about the story...

I mean:

SPOILER-WARNING:

It's a mixture of:

- Delirious (a 90s movie with John Candy)
- Lost (Smokey is greeting)

and the story itself hasn't got any big twists.... so...

alandonovan
02-18-2011, 08:48 PM
It is a good quality game. A little linear, but its worth a play.

Pandoras Virus
02-19-2011, 06:45 PM
The story in this game is good and well thought out, the ending left a bit to be desired. Overall I enjoyed playing it. It was on the hard side tho.

BigmanG85
02-22-2011, 04:23 PM
just got this game and then read this.....damn.

Bearded Bugs
02-23-2011, 09:39 PM
Calling this game the "worst game ever" is one of the most ridiculous things I've read in a long, long time.

I do feel sorry for the seemingly huge number of people that didn't really get into this game.

CaAArenas
02-25-2011, 10:10 PM

And I did enjoy your last rebuttal post, very well done. Except that I thought that Barry was a great character right from the start. :)

Awesome! i was missing that one! thanks a lot!

MrEastSide
02-27-2011, 08:20 PM

Who cares about storyline? WOW! I certainly do. We could all just go back to playing Super Mario Bros or Pac Man, cause those were fun games, but man, with no story, games certainly get old a lot faster. Who cares about story... Really?

On a side note: I had a lot of fun with this game! Some repetitiveness? Yes. But, most games can feel that way.

wozza1971
03-01-2011, 10:04 AM
i thought this game was a story telling masterpiece but yes it is a little samey still loved it though

Leaf King
03-02-2011, 06:20 PM

People should probably stop pirating games and then posting their experiences with them.

MytMowse
03-05-2011, 02:28 AM
If you find this game to be the worst game ever then you haven't played many titles.

Moeeed
03-06-2011, 05:09 PM
I can definitely add to the thread that this game SUCKS. NO ITS NOT THE WORST GAME EVER but the game play is utter shit which does not evolve EVER. This game is a fu**ing DRAG. I wish I had avoided it.

noobie2games
03-10-2011, 06:24 AM
yea I didn't get into the story line. Didn't think it was terrible but I was expecting something better because it was so story driven. Gameplay wasn't bad but I just got bored with it after the third episode and found some parts to be frustrating. And so many damn collectibles!!! Just kidding, but seriously there were but i dont judge games based on achieves. Overall I would give it an 80

asdf123
03-10-2011, 03:10 PM
I gave £9 for it new and feel robbed :P its not the worst game ever, but its pretty bad, personally i think the story is "ok" but the rest of the game truly sucks, repetitive and boring before halfway, ZzzzZZZzzzz

Bones007
03-14-2011, 06:37 PM
Nuff said.

Somebody please tell me.

Not sure. But it's better than people seriously constantly repetitively using adverbs.

Mellow Tha Pro
03-24-2011, 08:05 AM
Nuff said.

Somebody please tell me.

SMH - what a fuckin' retard. there is no such thing as an "unrepetive" game. ALL GAMES ARE REPETIVE. stupid people shouldn't be able to procreate.

Wortsenawl
03-24-2011, 06:28 PM
stupid people shouldn't be able to procreate.

How is the Nazi party these days?

Klarkus
03-29-2011, 06:04 PM
Its all about story...You could say Mass Effect 2 is repetetive with the combat parts and what not but that didn't stop it from winning game of the year. I think you just expected too much from it.

I get like this with movies...some guy was going on about inception for weeks saying its amazing best film ever you won't beleive how good it is blah blah blah and then when I did watch it...it was ok but not amazing like he was saying which is why I try not to read too much into reviews/opinions about games until i've played them myself

Rebel Yell
03-30-2011, 10:41 AM
Its all about story...

Yep, dynamics may be ripetitive but I liked the story and also the soundtrack. Moreover, in the Italian version, Alan has the Tom Cruise's voice. :D

shanky86
04-01-2011, 01:43 AM
Yeah the soundtrack was awesome. I just got to the end of episode 3 and Nick Cave started playing....was so good and suited it. And btw is there seriously out there a game that is NOT REPETITIVE. I'm playing Alan Wake and Red dead redemption atm. I'm enjoying Alan Wake so much more. The story is better and I get so bored riding my horse through empty terrain to get to a mission then have to do it all again.

Yusshin
04-10-2011, 02:22 AM
Nuff said.

Somebody please tell me.

As someone already mentioned, FFIII is far more repetitive. There are numerous other games as well. Call of Duty and other FPSs is running through landscape shooting things. That's it. Storyline isn't really a big thing, where Alan Wake excelled completely. It's a different genre, yes, but it's the same concept. Alan fights off things with a flashlight-gun combo, then run foreward; in CoD you shoot things and run foreward. Tah-dah. Game. At least Alan offers more in other aspects than just shoot'n'go.

I can think of a lot of successful MMORPGs and console games that are more repetitive than AW was. I think you're just sad because there wasn't a pair of breasts along with you until the very end. Nothing interesting to look at but trees because of it, and that ticked ya off, I'm sure. ubetrollin

People should probably stop pirating games and then posting their experiences with them.

+1

Megatron NM156
05-16-2011, 09:28 PM
I'm sorry but anyone who thinks this is the worst game ever obviously hasn't played Cars, Naughty Bear or Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer.

Sure you might not like the game but to say it is the worst game ever is a ridiculous statement.

I have just finished both dlc's today and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of the main game and the dlc's. Also I never experienced any glitch's at all. All in all a top game and I am very much looking forward to more Alan Wake this fall.

jus4golf
05-16-2011, 09:32 PM
I had a blast with Alan Wake. If you are looking for an FPS then ya know maybe buy an FPS.

Plym
05-16-2011, 09:47 PM
Some bits were repetitive and tedious but the story kept me gripped. Attention to detail was astounding.
It reminded me very much of early Resident Evil.

It was enjoyable enough to make me want to do Nightmare Mode and the DLC next.

JPClyde
05-16-2011, 11:59 PM
I kind of liked the game, the story and atmosphere was awesome, but the combat was rediculous, by the time you have noticed a taken and using boost beam to kill then there are four others at your back slashing you, also when your hit the reaction is too slow. If they had made the combat better this would have been an awesome all around game. In my mind this just seems a rushed game because heavy rain was coming out ont the ps3.

JNix22
05-17-2011, 12:33 AM
In my mind this just seems a rushed game because heavy rain was coming out on the ps3.

Rushed? Do you know how long Alan Wake was in development?

CIF
05-17-2011, 06:46 AM
I kind of liked the game, the story and atmosphere was awesome, but the combat was rediculous, by the time you have noticed a taken and using boost beam to kill then there are four others at your back slashing you, also when your hit the reaction is too slow. If they had made the combat better this would have been an awesome all around game. In my mind this just seems a rushed game because heavy rain was coming out ont the ps3.
Or you could use the flashlight to make them slower, strafe a bit, take out one or two with the gun, and run? Use a flashbang or flare to keep them away if it's one of the stationary battles.

TweekDash
05-17-2011, 02:51 PM
Not only do I disagree with OP, but I would even go as far as to say "This is by far the BEST game for xbox 360."

It's my favourite game. I wish I could erase my memory and play it again.

SweetLouDiamond
05-18-2011, 02:02 PM
i'm really on the fence on this one. i think the game is a great story & quite scary, but the game play is a bit annoying and can drag on. i'm only about halfway through the game (because i keep getting distracted w/ other games), but i suspect that it doesnt have a great level of replayability

BOBtheMASTER
05-18-2011, 10:08 PM
I thought I would let this game ride its course before even attempting to play it. I got a few friends playing it saying " How OK it was" or "Not bad too short".
Now I have finally started playing. At first thought not too bad, going backwards and fowards into the storyline ( Quentin Tarantino style). The dark and eerie atmosphere nice touch to the game.....After 4th scene in Act 1.....damn repeatative shadow-zombie enemies over and over again.....Played on normal .....4 shots to kill 1 wtf.
Running out of ammo pretty quick.
Then disastorous gameplay 2nd Act Lovers Peak shooting the The Darkness (another crap game) dodging their axes .l.. ooops shit bear trap .....ooops another bear trap wtf was that all about..
In my estimation good story very shitty gameplay
You honestly just sound like you're terrible at it. If you're running out of ammo on normal, then I got news for you... you're really really terrible.

Only the big enemies take 4 shots to kill on normal. And they are not very common. Medium enemies take 2 shots. Small/fast enemies take 1 shot.

I feel as if a few of my brain cells died just from reading that formless blob of text.

hype
05-22-2011, 10:09 AM
you're absolutely right...
...probably because Snow is a character from FFXIII, which isn't repetitive at all...

to me it sounds like your particular disc was fucked up.
i enjoyed the game myself. 90% of games are repetitive in some fashion. you're either battling numerous enemies, the protagonist has gone through some kinda tragedy & you're fighting to get to the "boss" who's responsible, or in the case of shooters, you're fighting for your country or some type of "greater good".

i respect your opinion somewhat, but i can't rock with the whiny reasons for not liking a game, especially a generic reason as such stated. the others? meh...possible.

i WILL say the only things i hated about this game were the ridiculous amount of collectibles & the birds. i fucking hate collectibles, yet i somehow manage to still do them because i prefer to 1000/1000 a game if possible.

Legohead 1977
05-24-2011, 10:12 AM
It's just one of those things we all have to accept...but most never will. Everyone is different and likes what they like, it's a shame in all aspects of life that people can't accept other people have their own tastes and beliefs etc...

Me, I am enjoying Alan Wake at the moment, but I am glad I only rented it. The main reason for this is touched on by Hype:

i WILL say the only things i hated about this game were the ridiculous amount of collectibles & the birds. i fucking hate collectibles, yet i somehow manage to still do them because i prefer to 1000/1000 a game if possible.

I don't hate collectibles quite as much, but the best part of this game is the feeling of survival, so it would have been nice to play the game as a survival first...and then do a collectibles run through after.

The real pity is that, the best run through for collectibles is anything but Nightmare, the best run through for the survival is Nightmare, but Nightmare isn't unlocked till after you finish the game once! Hence you have to either do the collectibles first, or 3 playthroughs...whichever you choose means you 'know' the route somewhat before you CAN play the best run through!

I am not saying the OP can't hate Alan Wake, in fact I think prevention of hardest difficulty from the start meant the game wasn't as good as it could have been.

HomemadeCarrot
05-27-2011, 03:44 PM
It looks really good. I might get it.

FrostedMclovin
05-28-2011, 08:04 PM
Alan wake is BY FAR NOT the worst game ever it's got that spark that some games dont have in thier story if i'm honest i would have never thought of this as a game (before it come out obviously) I like the fact that the writes doesnt write the story at least its unique. Unlike FF (Though i cant say much as i play FF =\)

Casper Jazz
06-12-2011, 08:59 AM
I really enjoyed the game, but it was always nagging at me that it wears its influences/homages far too blatantly sometimes.

I read Stephen King, love Twin Peaks, first Silent Hills are two of my favourite games, A.Wake rips them all off! And don't get me started on Thomas Zane's Big Daddy outfit <grumble grumble>

HOWEVER...I still rate the game pretty highly, definately not a hater!

BranFlakes543
06-12-2011, 10:08 PM
That's your opinion.
Some may hate it, some may love it.
That's how life is if you haven't noticed :)

Imo though, this game is brilliant.

Casper Jazz
06-13-2011, 01:04 AM
Cooler heads prevail :drunk:

cutchinz
06-13-2011, 01:41 AM
It seems people who hate and love it are pretty evenly split...this is one of my favorite games like, ever. The story is awesome, gameplay is repetitive but still fun for me, and the history of the whole town is what gets me. There's just so many possibilities. It's great :)

Simperheve
07-05-2011, 11:33 AM
I really liked Alan wake for its story and its simple enough gameplay mechanic. But i'm sure the game itself wasn't supposed to be all about running and shooting. Wasn't it supposed to be about creating an atmosphere or something like that?

The only thing that did frustrate me about alan wake was the serious amount of collectibles. I followed a video guide and managed to miss 4 coffee thermoses D: I'm not motivated at all to commence another playthrough to find those 4....

FeatherbottomMR
07-05-2011, 06:10 PM
I really liked Alan wake for its story and its simple enough gameplay mechanic. But i'm sure the game itself wasn't supposed to be all about running and shooting. Wasn't it supposed to be about creating an atmosphere or something like that?

The only thing that did frustrate me about alan wake was the serious amount of collectibles. I followed a video guide and managed to miss 4 coffee thermoses D: I'm not motivated at all to commence another playthrough to find those 4....
I love the game so far... but the collectibles are a pain....

Dafy G
07-05-2011, 07:59 PM
Nuff said.

Somebody please tell me.

That is your opinion and I respect that. But who are you to tell me what should be fun and what shouldn't?

Leon McLane
07-06-2011, 12:17 PM
This game is the Best game on Xbox 360.
Everyone has his own taste. u hate it, i love it.

http://gamercards.exophase.com/90732.png (http://exophase.com/gamercards/)

http://gamercards.playfire.com/_/xbox/375815/0/default.png (http://www.playfire.com/Leonx)Xbox Gamercards (http://www.playfire.com/)

Casper Jazz
07-07-2011, 11:04 AM
Just started watching the film version of S.King's book "Needful Things", the first 2mins/intro of this movie & Alan Wake are almost identical!

Spanish Assault
07-22-2011, 04:05 PM
Nuff said.

Somebody please tell me.
Worst Thread Ever

This game is like nothing else out there....well written with a great story. Im sorry it's not like Black Ops or what ever FPS multiplayer you play ever day non-stop.

The game is fresh and keeps me on the edge of my seat...after years of playing predictable games over and over and over it was nice to be engrossed in such a great game.

Judging by your games played list:

50 Cent: BOS
5th Grader
Brutal Ledgend
Conan
Dark Sector
Fracture
G-Force
Jumper
Legendary
Onechanbara (really?!?!)
Rogue Warrior (another awesome gem)
Stranglehold
Vampire Rain

Im gonna go ahead and ignore your little rant....cause you wouldn't know a good game if it bit you in the nuts.

FeatherbottomMR
07-28-2011, 06:10 PM
Finished the other day.... great game for me.... really enjoyed it.....

Necrophage33
07-28-2011, 06:19 PM
Worst Thread Ever

This game is like nothing else out there....well written with a great story. Im sorry it's not like Black Ops or what ever FPS multiplayer you play ever day non-stop.

The game is fresh and keeps me on the edge of my seat...after years of playing predictable games over and over and over it was nice to be engrossed in such a great game.

Judging by your games played list:

50 Cent: BOS
5th Grader
Brutal Ledgend
Conan
Dark Sector
Fracture
G-Force
Jumper
Legendary
Onechanbara (really?!?!)
Rogue Warrior (another awesome gem)
Stranglehold
Vampire Rain

Im gonna go ahead and ignore your little rant....cause you wouldn't know a good game if it bit you in the nuts.

Hahaha well played. "Worst game ever" is such a ridiculous exaggeration.

This is how I felt too. Searching for 291 collectibles in a dark forest where everything looks the same and enemies endlessly respawn was not fun. I actually had a lot more fun on my Nightmare playthrough when I was just playing and not constantly consulting a collectible guide and being worried about missing a thermos. It also got much better from episode 3 on, since there was more to work with than just a flashlight. Once you get flares and flashbangs the game becomes a lot more fun.

Obliteral
07-28-2011, 06:37 PM
Ive got 2 say ive only started playing alan wake im on episode 4 and well its not the worst game ever infact its a master piece if u like res and silent hill then u will understand when i say this is how those games should have advanced i love the story so far the controls the graphics and in general only 1 thing 2 bitch about and thats 2 myself i didnt buy it on day 1lol is the dlc worth getting??

mesoungodlyfast
07-31-2011, 06:32 PM

World at War
Black Ops
Two Worlds
Ninja Bread Man
Quantum Theory
Nintey-Nine Nights
Bioshock

(remember this is all just my opinion)

Wow, this is old, but the stupidity runs on forever from it. Bioshiock, a top ten crappy game on your list? If you thought this game was a breakthru in gameplay, then Bioshock had to be a freaking revolution and hostile takeover of the FPS genre according to your thought train.

And WaW/BlackOps, the most popular multiplayer games of all time?

Do you even know what a good game is?

Verdinial
07-31-2011, 06:38 PM
Dr Pepper says it all, really.

veece16
07-31-2011, 06:44 PM
I loved Alan Wake, the collectibles were easy enough to find just casually exploring unlike Assassin's Creed. Fighting with a flashlight was a brilliant idea rather than your normal FPS "kill everything that moves". I don't see how you wouldn't like this game.

Necrophage33
08-01-2011, 06:52 PM
Ive got 2 say ive only started playing alan wake im on episode 4 and well its not the worst game ever infact its a master piece if u like res and silent hill then u will understand when i say this is how those games should have advanced i love the story so far the controls the graphics and in general only 1 thing 2 bitch about and thats 2 myself i didnt buy it on day 1lol is the dlc worth getting??

I'd say yes. I've seen people complaining about them in their subforums, saying certain ones are garbage, etc. It seemed mainly that people were mad and claimed the DLC was much harder. I actually thought both DLC cases were really good, fun, and not any more difficult than the main game. Each DLC has an achievement for completing it without dying or reloading. The first DLC took me 2 tries (not counting the first playthrough to get the rest of the achievements), and the second took 1 (again, not counting the first playthrough). So they really aren't that difficult at all, and I had a lot more fun with them, especially because you aren't bogged down with collectibles.

Wow, this is old, but the stupidity runs on forever from it. Bioshiock, a top ten crappy game on your list? If you thought this game was a breakthru in gameplay, then Bioshock had to be a freaking revolution and hostile takeover of the FPS genre according to your thought train.

And WaW/BlackOps, the most popular multiplayer games of all time?

Do you even know what a good game is?

I think you're misunderstanding that post. He's not listing crappy games. He's listing games that are generally accepted as being really good and saying that, in his opinion, he liked Alan Wake more than those games. You can't really fault him for his opinion.

Obliteral
08-02-2011, 01:35 PM
Ok thanks for that baught both dlc so ill have 2 get playin more! :P

jonboy1977
08-06-2011, 10:12 PM
Having just completed the game, I have to say I think its a brilliant game. On a side note, the glitching the OP is talking about sounds like a classic example of what happens when you use gamesaves. Achievements unlocking in the wrong order and certain achievements not unlocking at all. Just putting that out there.

AnAngryBlueJay
08-07-2011, 08:28 PM
I respect your opinion and I understand that the game play was relativly boring especially since Mr. Wake was so out of shape! The story makes that game, I don't understand how someone can not even be amazed by the story of it! I would't shut up about it for weeks! I made my boyfriend play it just so when I tell him "Alan Wake up" he would understand why it made me so happy! Alan Wake has one of the best storys in a very long time and I wish more people would play it!

But If your not into games with good storys, its not for you!