PDA

View Full Version : This game is crap.

Incognito
11-27-2010, 09:24 PM
EDITED TO CLARIFY.

I was a huge fan of the original and the early console ports so I grabbed this as soon as I could.

Big mistake.

The platform parts of this game are garbage. And the sad thing is it's not because of the story or the graphics, but because of the broken gameplay. The platformer parts are some of the worst I've ever played in my life. Insta-Kills everywhere, no indication of what you're supposed to do, where you're supposed to go, nothing.

The part in Phase 5 where you're supposed to Spider-Man across the bridge was one of the single worst designed platform levels in the history of gaming. I must have done it (exaggeration) 30 times before I got across. And none of it was my fault. The game just decided that a random piece of wood should fall down and trigger the falling down animation, which doesn't recover until it's far too late to make another jump.

Once enemies begin a combo, you just stand there and take the damage until they're finished. The camera is just horrible, sometimes turning you in completely the wrong direction, or pinning you in a corner.

I could go on and on, but why bother. What a complete and total disappointment for a game that was delayed over a year.

This is my vote for the biggest disappointment for 2010, hands down.

DeltaKappaEcho
11-27-2010, 09:49 PM
If you think this is the WORST platformining in gaming, you must not play games. And I have to doubt you are a fan of the olds when you say it took you 30 tries because of random wood... you should have discovered on your second (third max) that a piece of debris ALWAYS falls on the last two broken bridge sections so if you wait a second it falls and then you jump. Really simple especially compared to the old games which also gave you limited health in each level and was WAY harder and cheap then the new one which gives you purchasable health upgrades VERY early and a heal ability. I was never one hit killed by an enemy even on Brutal difficulty unless my health was minimal. Don't complain about a game simply because you're no good at it.

Incognito
11-27-2010, 09:54 PM
Ah yes, the old "you suck at the game" response from a one-post wonder.

Thank you for your critique, It will be noted. Now back under the bridge.

Genetic Carnage
11-27-2010, 09:57 PM
I'm having trouble with S ranking a couple of arenas because of the spaztastic camera whipping all around, and yes, quite a few times the blue veined ghouls have juggled me to death, but I don't think it's the worst game of the year. The "lava" ghouls toward the end can juggle you even if you hit them with a weapon and don't actually touch them. And once my son walked through the wall and fell into oblivion. It's got some broken gameplay, but the good stuff makes it worth a try at least.

Personally I love it, they got everything right but some wonky gameplay chunks. Some extra time in QA would have fixed that.

BillyKlyde
11-27-2010, 10:00 PM
Seriously, the game has its bugs (as does any), but it's not as earth shattering or dream crushingly bad as you make it out to be. This is a hack and slash game, I'm tired of people expecting so much from it. Besides the originls are ten times more frustrating than this one. There are WAAAAYYY worse 3D platforming games in video game history, to throw this game into that category just shows a lack of knowledge and experience in said genre.

DeltaKappaEcho
11-27-2010, 10:12 PM

I registered simply to point out the obvious. I am NOT saying the game is perfect or that you have to like it or that some stuff couldn't have been done better but your exact example is BS - "random piece of wood"? It isn't random , it's on a fixed pattern like most of the old games platform sections. I'm not saying you suck, YOU saying it took 30 tries and you still think it was random is saying you suck. And the one hit kill BS isn't really disproving it as this game is easy even on Hard thanks to the upgrades with the biggest challenge being S ranks in the final Challenge rooms... and that's still easier then beating the 3 old Splatterhouse games. I apologize if I sound like a jerk but you are simply complaining because you aren't good. Maybe you should lower the difficulty and upgrade some of the skills (health first) before complaining about the gameplay being "broken". Or try to beat more than the first level of the old games because THOSE games could be truly frustrating.

TURBO XLR
11-27-2010, 10:45 PM
You know from my experience with it and comparing it to other hack and slashers that I have played it ain't as good as some but still better than others. I see Splatterhouse as a mixed bag, sure it has cheep deaths but its like the original trilogy "its only easy if you know how" kind of game meaning you know whats up ahead and you know how to handle it after a few tries. Trust me its a bit of challenge to get 1000GS only cause of the survival arena achievements are a bitch but compared to the original trilogy it doesn't hold a candle to its difficulty.

But is this game crap? Maybe but it ain't the worst in its genre there are quite a few that are worse than Splatterhouse.*coughOnichanbaracough*

Btw Jim Cummings is a riot as the Terror Mask end of xD.

Genetic Carnage
11-27-2010, 10:45 PM
Damnit, now DKE is a TWO-POST WONDER!

Incognito
11-27-2010, 11:11 PM
You know from my experience with it and comparing it to other hack and slashers that I have played it ain't as good as some but still better than others. I see Splatterhouse as a mixed bag, sure it has cheep deaths but its like the original trilogy "its only easy if you know how" kind of game meaning you know whats up ahead and you know how to handle it after a few tries. Trust me its a bit of challenge to get 1000GS only cause of the survival arena achievements are a bitch but compared to the original trilogy it doesn't hold a candle to its difficulty.

But is this game crap? Maybe but it ain't the worst in its genre there are quite a few that are worse than Splatterhouse.*coughOnichanbaracough*

I agree with this totally. Was I a little harsh in the first post? Yea, but I was venting a bit. I love this series and even though the original games were hard, they were well designed. I just feel that this game could have been better designed.

I wasn't complaining at all about the difficulty. I like difficult games if they reward the player and don't get in their way. I feel that this game gets in the way too much.

I think the voice acting is great though. Maybe now that I have a powered up Splatter Smash, I can work around some of the issues.

TURBO XLR
11-27-2010, 11:25 PM
I agree with this totally. Was I a little harsh in the first post? Yea, but I was venting a bit. I love this series and even though the original games were hard, they were well designed. I just feel that this game could have been better designed.

I wasn't complaining at all about the difficulty. I like difficult games if they reward the player and don't get in their way. I feel that this game gets in the way too much.

I think the voice acting is great though. Maybe now that I have a powered up Splatter Smash, I can work around some of the issues.

OK that I can agree the design of the some segments (particularly the platform elements) were bad and could have been done better but like I said before there has been worse and even though I was raging at it before myself you can't be mad at for long cause really I like killing everything in Splatterhouse its so much fun xD.

NinjaPhilly
11-28-2010, 12:01 AM
Well read the original post and I've not ran into any of those issues while getting my 1K, sure a few parts took a little working out but nothing major. As for the enemies doing you in with combo's, just keep an eye out and simply roll out of the way and then unleash hell. By doing this enemies only landed one hit on me before I obliterated them. Camera can be a bit off at times but I handled that with use of the RS.

Stop moaning and man up. lul

Mancerelectro
11-28-2010, 12:51 AM
You know, this game is very true to it's arcade predecessor. Trial and error, difficult fights, having to learn what works best, and getting around the annoying parts. Honestly, the only complaint I've had about this game is the camera, and I've been able to in every battle find a place where not only can I totally wail on the enemy, but the camera won't go all wonky either.

Also, this game has some of my favorite boss battles of a hack'n'slash/beat'em up game I've ever played. While the same basic ideal of "dodge and counterattack" persists through most of the bosses, I never once said "wow, lame. This guy is just like that other one I fought." Also, a large amount of the enemies and bosses are from the Splatterhouse arcade. (Furniture throwing, chainsaw boss, boreworms, Evil "Jen," Evil/Shadow Ricks, as well as the ghouls and forgotten) Honestly, if you loved the arcade version, you should find more to love about this game than anything. Hell, you even GET the original arcade version in this game! How cool is that?

DarkSephiroth
11-28-2010, 01:07 PM
I'm sorry you feel that way because I'm enjoying every second of this game :p only couple things annoyed me in my playthrough; those couple platform parts and the difficulty that jumps at the end of the game (still wasn't annoyingly hard).

You just have to get through those moments and you're back on the splattering! This is one of my favorite games this year because fable 3 was lamer than 2 and I don't play COD games, Reach was pretty epic but not the best game of the year.

longdillon1
11-28-2010, 08:39 PM
If you play this game for what it is, it is a great game. Dont expect alot and it will be a great game. Ive never played another game like it. I think its pretty fuckin awesome! People will bitch if its too gory or not enough. You cant please everybody. This game kicks ass!

T0b3
11-28-2010, 08:54 PM
Hell no, I completely disagree.
This game is f-ing badass.

SPOILER
Fighting that chainsaw monster with Lamb of God in the background is just pure epicness.
SPOILER

FakeJamaican
11-28-2010, 09:24 PM
this game is pretty fucking tedious and is just plain stupid at parts. I agree the platforming sections are just uncalled for. Also, the game has pretty bad action sequences which never really make a difference. There were times i'd be prompted to hit X, Y, B or A and I wouldn't hit it and i'd still pull off the execution. This game is worth about 14.99 in the sticky bin after Christmas.

Suki
11-28-2010, 09:27 PM
its pretty simple when yr expectaions are high for anythin be it a game or film or even a holiday etc.. its always a disapointment things never live up to yr expectations, i dont expect anything from anything or anybody that ways im rarely disapointed and suprisingly happy with things most of the time.

Azrael008uk
11-28-2010, 11:36 PM

Actually he's got a point.

Just like the arcade originals you have to watch for the patterns and move at the right time.

On the bridge you simply wait for the piece of wood to fall, then jump.

This is a great game that's really fun to play. You're misleading people with the title as you freely admit you're struggling with the game and it took you 30 tries to defeat this simple section of the game.

There are moments when you will think "Wow, that looks a little rough" and the game is uneven in it's final polish.

However there are far more times that you will be laughing out loud and thinking to yourself "Wow, that was amazing".

It's a fun game and things aren't too complex. If you're struggling at a section, slow down a minute and pay attention and the solution will present itself.

Az

Mr G85X
11-28-2010, 11:52 PM
There's no denying the game mechanics are broken and bug filled.
But what I dislike about it the most is the case reads "an original storyline penned by blah blah blah" when it's actually mostly ripping off lovecrafts Herbert west; reanimator. Even the last level is covered in cthuhlu statues and west says cthuhlu incantations a bunch of times.

Pure cheap.

On a side note when I went to buy this on morning of release, they only had a single copy on sale. Not even enough to put on shelves. Maybe namco had second thoughts about releasing this gash?

TxsChilliBowl84
11-29-2010, 12:14 AM
Crap? You could make an arguement. But it's not the worst game to come out. Glad I rented instead of buying this one.

Xashern
11-29-2010, 03:17 AM
I loved everything about this reboot/remake with the exception of ending (hopefully they'll put together a dlc add-on chapters). I never really encountered anything broken outside of a sound glitch and one console freezing.

As far as ripping off H.P. Lovecraft's work. Personally i thought it was a greatly done considering all the various Easter eggs from other horror films they spotlighted.

I mean games from the eighties had a vary basic premise, as far as the comment regarding not having many copies in stores. That comes down to the demographic of gamers.

I mean i only played the original splatterhouse like twice but always remember it, much like most of the people that did pick it up were fans of the original trilogy. Its not really a game you can run tv commercials for and limited to online websites or magazine ad's like the playboy one they did with Jenny.

Worth 65 bucks ? only if you pre-ordered from Gamestop and are getting the statue of the terror mask. I would consider Splatterhouse a 40 dollar game.

I did enjoy the soundtrack enough to go out and buy the songs featured in it though

Evo Kazz
11-29-2010, 10:30 AM

Lmao, this reply rocked.

SideshowN
11-29-2010, 03:06 PM
Played the game all the way through and thought it was fun. Just like MOST games nowadays, the game gets pretty damn repetitive for the last couple of chapters because your mostly killing the same type of enemies you've seen before. There was some QTE for the some of the last enemies that I could not counter no matter how fast I was tapping on the buttons. This is a good game. Not a great game. Lets just be happy it did not get canceled.

TheToiletBrush
12-01-2010, 05:29 PM

Ha! Good post, dude.

chanman
12-01-2010, 11:19 PM
I think this game is awesome! Sometimes the camera angles are bad, but I'm having fun for the most part. :)

oRedBull
12-01-2010, 11:25 PM
Up until a week ago, I thought this was an arcade game. 'Nuff said.

F Swan
12-02-2010, 12:27 AM
its pretty simple when yr expectaions are high for anythin be it a game or film or even a holiday etc.. its always a disapointment things never live up to yr expectations, i dont expect anything from anything or anybody that ways im rarely disapointed and suprisingly happy with things most of the time.

This ...

The games I look forward to inevitably end up being rubbish, or at least very poor.

Darkling26
12-04-2010, 02:29 AM
Wow, this sounds just like a review I read on IGN.com. I honestly don't get why people bashing this game something awful.

I haven't had any issues on knowing where to go or what to do. I rarely died and if I did was out of my own stupidity or over eagerness. graphics aren't what make a game good. It could have shitty graphics and still be a bad ass game. As for the gore and violence the graphics made it that much more fun to play.

Broken game play. I ask where? I hardly noticed anything wrong with the games mechanics.

if a monster is using a combo on you use blood siphon and or go berzerk really fast, If you have your upgraded roll you take no dmg while rolling.

I honor your opinion on the game. I just don't get what was so horrible for you as I have not found any issues with the game as far as game mechanics go.

QuasidodoJr
12-22-2010, 01:06 PM
I just recently finished it. And I agree with the OP. This game is not very good. The combat is decent, but it certainly has issues. The Splatterkills being one of them (a bit tedious, wouldn't ya say?). The random occurrence where you get juggle-killed by enemies can be extremely annoying. Especially since some of the checkpoints are quite lengthy. Add the ridiculous load times on top of it all, and you have a shit sandwich of frustration.

The platforming is terrible. Luckily, there's not much of it.

Side-scrolling segments - neat, at first, but still crap. I can't remember how many times I would get stuck between two environmental traps knocking me back and forth until I was either dead or nearly dead.

This is a mediocre game, at best. Rent it, get the achievement points and forget about it.

GamingEconomist
12-27-2010, 06:33 AM
I like this game. Only Complain are Freezing Problems all the time. I had those issues three times now.

But overall its ok for Achievements, except those S Rankings. The Enemies are no problem at all except those blue Ghouls, they are a pain in the ass.

My verdict 7 out of 10 and thats ok for Splatterhouse, cause why complaining it has the arcade originals as unlockables.

betterthenyou2
12-27-2010, 08:04 AM
dude to be honest, i kinda agree with you. i was fan of the original, and i think the game has some great graphics and ideas. but i do think the game was perhaps rushed and all. theres def some cheap deaths, i thought the worst one was the running from the meteor sequance, that after the rock hit, my guy ran directly into the black pit of flashing polygon blackness of doom.not horrible, but def not a grade a game either.ima huge fan of some sleeper and under dog hits man,and been playing game smy whole life, so i i can accept a game for what it worth. sadly i dont think this was worth a 50 or 60 dollar price tag, really looking forward to dead space 2 and batman 2....im really tired of opening game magazines and hearing about call of duty ,rock band, the 50th try to make a good tomb raider and so on. 2011, bring on the lesser known games, cuz ill be playing them.

GamingEconomist
12-27-2010, 06:48 PM
Only the Blue Ghouls are pissing me off and this sucks really bad i hate those son af bitches asshole fuck dicks. Two of them are just plain unfair.

They rip you to shreds in one second. If you loose your arm you are FUCKED

DangerousK
12-28-2010, 03:01 PM
I bit the bullet an order this off of Amazon while it is still $25.99, that seems to be the max of what this game is worth paying for new based on everything I read here. Although I can't imagine it is anywhere near as bad as a lot of the shovelware that exists on the 360, of which I do own some of those types of titles. It's been years since I played the arcade version of Splatterhouse, so it should be interesting to see how this is. No expectations is my motto.

betterthenyou2
12-28-2010, 05:47 PM
dangerous, as my second post, ill say 25 aint bad. i know theres alot of really bad games, but dude, after being near completion oof the achievements on this on this, i keep seeing more and more glithces. it does freeze ALOT. and een worse as i do these survival arenas, theres a glitch where my charecter cant move AT ALL!! extremely annoying to say the least man. totally not worth 60, but as a fan id pay 25 dollars in a heart beat. these complaints have nothing to do with my gaming skill, or anything of the sort. it comes from blatant poor quality in a game. if i had my way id smack namco in their teeth right now.

DangerousK
12-29-2010, 02:33 PM
dangerous, as my second post, ill say 25 aint bad. i know theres alot of really bad games, but dude, after being near completion oof the achievements on this on this, i keep seeing more and more glithces. it does freeze ALOT. and een worse as i do these survival arenas, theres a glitch where my charecter cant move AT ALL!! extremely annoying to say the least man. totally not worth 60, but as a fan id pay 25 dollars in a heart beat. these complaints have nothing to do with my gaming skill, or anything of the sort. it comes from blatant poor quality in a game. if i had my way id smack namco in their teeth right now.

When this game was announced I remember my initial thought being I wonder what kind of gameplay issues there's going to be whether it was the control/camera or just glitches. Namco has fallen of a bridge IMO...so much of what they put out now is just meh...kind of a shame since I used to anticipate a lot of what they put out in the past.

It sucks that an IP like this can't even properly be bug tested to try to avoid all the crap that people are experiencing in the game. Although it can't be worse than shit like Bulletwitch or Deadly Premonition. :biglaugh

betterthenyou2
12-29-2010, 08:41 PM
yeah namco went from being an arcade beast, to barely keeping their head afloat in the console market the past few years man, i get pissed though, cuz so many people go right to the big name games, ie, call of duty, grabnd theft auto, halo, gears of war (which in my opinion has a great story line). and too many lesser known games get over looked, batman arkham asylum was a huge sleeper, hit that didnt get much promo till gamers spread the word of mouth. catsle vania, i had reserved the day i could reserve it, and its fucking great!!! brutal legend, plenty of awsome story telling and gameplay. its a bummber, because more ip products will gets hitter because why put in the hard work and effort, when in fact , the gamers are ro blame, but being dumbed down into just buying "what they are supposed to buy".

i have better things to do then buy call of duty 4 in a different box and a new surname, and ill but my money in soemthing more intersting in my opinion

mattshotcha
12-29-2010, 11:31 PM
all of this thread i agree with... but the blame is not just gamers... the idea that video games as an entertainment medium like movies is what's to blame... too much of a business now... quality is out the window and a bunch of companies are just churning out crap and swiping our 60 bucks... games like splatterhouse or saw 2 are not ever expected to be the big seller that black ops is but if they throw trash like this out and make an eighth of the sales of a call of duty title then namco wins... so on it goes, companies produce crappy games for the cheapest price so they can just keep spinning the wheel and when they put it out they don't care if it really does well they just want the fast cash... and we all line up like assholes for undertested and unfinished quality games that we complain about on here...

lately it just seems that the overall quality of games is more and more polarized... on one side we have mega hits that are high quality and then the other side are titles that cost just as much without delivering anything near the same quality... sniper ghost warrior saw 1 and 2 splatterhouse medal of honor and so on are not worth 60 bucks...

the gaming industry needs a middle of the road price point somewhere near 30 or 40 dollars for games like this... the last few months i feel like i been robbed...

betterthenyou2
12-30-2010, 12:49 AM
i agree matt. hey man if ur looknig for something other then your run of the mill fps... check out darksiders man. i thought it was a killer game, as well as castlevania lords of shadow. any one into some strategy or plane games, attlestations pacific is beyond a great game, really improved on midway alot, put a mroe action into the feel. sorry to ramble on this thread, but id liek to see alot of gaemers put their money elsewhere then black ops. i agree ye su know your getting a good product with call of duty, but A: its just lil bells and whistles added onto a simple formula, and B: how long till this is really just watered down bullshit, u cant make a great game once a year in my eyes,but.... i have a feeling as long as it says, cod on the front, it will sell.

Tussell
12-30-2010, 01:03 AM
I'm a huge fan of the original, having played it constantly on TurboGFX.

I just recently got this for Christmas, and I must say, I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Of course there are some negatives as you mentioned, but I don't come in contact with as much irritation with it as you apparently do.

I'm really digging it.

betterthenyou2
12-30-2010, 01:07 AM
yeah i got it for christmas too. alot of people seem to have alot of the same complaints,but hey man if ur enjoying it awsome, im not gonna knock you for it. enjoy it bro!!!

mattshotcha
12-30-2010, 02:16 AM
i agree matt. hey man if ur looknig for something other then your run of the mill fps... check out darksiders man. i thought it was a killer game, as well as castlevania lords of shadow. any one into some strategy or plane games, attlestations pacific is beyond a great game, really improved on midway alot, put a mroe action into the feel. sorry to ramble on this thread, but id liek to see alot of gaemers put their money elsewhere then black ops. i agree ye su know your getting a good product with call of duty, but A: its just lil bells and whistles added onto a simple formula, and B: how long till this is really just watered down bullshit, u cant make a great game once a year in my eyes,but.... i have a feeling as long as it says, cod on the front, it will sell.
yeah i have battlestations pacific, picked it up used but haven't gotten too far along in it yet... i'll have to check out the others you mentioned...

back on topic, thats cool yer diggin this game, i'm not a total hater... i just wish we could see some more quality in titles like this... freezing my xbox for splatterhouse?!? it's not like its full of cinematics or cutting edge graphics... theres no reason it should take 3 days of load screens and still bug out...

if yer into it, more power to you... i just miss gamefly for titles like these...

betterthenyou2
12-30-2010, 02:18 AM
ill do a shot to that one matt

DOBOYX2
12-31-2010, 05:26 PM
I like this game it has several things wrong with it of course, but repetitive gameplay should not equal into that equation. It is a beat em up game staying true to the series. I'm tired of all these crappy reviewers bashing the game just because all you do is kill, it's called Splatterhouse for a reason! My main issue with the game is that it has long ass load times, lacks variety in enemies many of which are uninteresting and doesnt fit in this game well. They just dont have that grotesque feeling about em that the old games had. Not to mention they are cheap as HELL, particularly those Blue bastards! It also lacks in splatterkills too it could definitely used alot more of those for sure. I think everything else in the game works pretty good, I'm not too crazy about the music choices either myself. Could have used more music similar to the old series but it didn't bother me too much. Jim cumming did an excellent job with the Terror mask. Pretty nice visuals, nice retro gameplay from side scroll elements. However, what truly makes this game valuable is the included originals which will run you alot of dough if you buy'em/find'em online.

7.0 out of 10

DangerousK
01-07-2011, 03:51 PM
As an update, I got this game in the mail the other day. Played for 5 minutes. When you go upstairs at the very beginning, then go through the doors and into the hall where you see shadows of enemies running outside, the game glitched after a few reloaded checkpoints and the door at the end of that hall no longer opened.

Wow...I mean 5 minutes in is ok because it's not a big deal to just start a brand new game, but how do you not have something like working properly? The game is violent as shit though.

Ryot Control
01-21-2011, 07:56 AM

Whaaaaaat?!? You're entitled to your opinion, but so am I. You, sir, have no taste.

WillScot55
01-24-2011, 07:59 AM
I like playing this for an hour at a time to kill some time and for me that's good enough

zspaun
02-11-2011, 03:41 AM
Just wanted to say I'm enjoying this game way more than I ever expected and I didn't have any difficulties so far and I'm playing on Brutal...

To be honest, I kinda felt I was transported back to my childhood while playing this game (no I didn't play the classics) but the feel of it has something really old school about it...don't know maybe it's just me :)

also I love the dialogues with the mask, I find them hilarious :D

spyder2g
02-15-2011, 03:01 AM

I demand you take that back! Bikini Samurai is one of the greatest video games of all time!! Some day I will even master that goddamn 13 precisely timed button presses to kill the blood things. :p

Priit3
02-28-2011, 01:45 AM
Such a great game, real surprise for me. I want more more mooooore....

Quidac
02-28-2011, 10:43 PM
I demand you take that back! Bikini Samurai is one of the greatest video games of all time!! Some day I will even master that goddamn 13 precisely timed button presses to kill the blood things. :p

act. splatterhouse and onechanbara are quite the same...

onechanbara got the breast through the playable characters and splatterhouse with the few photos. ok ocb is really diff. sometimes and splatterhouse more like a walkthrough.

i like both games, but that doesn't mean a thing cause i also like most/all of the dynasty games.

Technarchi
03-12-2011, 09:46 PM

for a moment i wondered to myself, why is this guy acting like such a prick for no apparent reason? then i noticed you are from new york...

Fug the Pug
03-20-2011, 04:44 AM

I'm sorry but part of it IS you clear lack of ability. It is a difficult game and some times things are very unfair but part of it is that you have a low level of skill and need to practice to get better.

You do make some valid points but you also aren't too good if you repetitively got stopped by the same thing. That bridge only stopped me once dude.

druminfected
03-20-2011, 06:09 AM
If you think this is the WORST platformining in gaming, you must not play games. And I have to doubt you are a fan of the olds when you say it took you 30 tries because of random wood... you should have discovered on your second (third max) that a piece of debris ALWAYS falls on the last two broken bridge sections so if you wait a second it falls and then you jump. Really simple especially compared to the old games which also gave you limited health in each level and was WAY harder and cheap then the new one which gives you purchasable health upgrades VERY early and a heal ability. I was never one hit killed by an enemy even on Brutal difficulty unless my health was minimal. Don't complain about a game simply because you're no good at it.

wow 30 trys? I just got to this part and figured it out 2nd try heh. it's all about trial and error sometimes and this was a section in the game that you needed to use it but yeh this was pretty simple.

kaworuchan
03-21-2011, 05:19 AM
I got 540 of the gamerscore here, but after spending about 15 hours on the descending platform part of Phase 11 on "Brutal" difficulty, and dying one ridiculously cheap death after another, I decided to return the game to GameFly and to consider this game one on the list that I started, but never will get full completion on.

This game was not the first game that enjoyed freezing my system, but it froze my 360 pretty often. Usually, when a game does that as often as this one does, a patch is released. I guess the folks at Namco realized there probably was not a major demand for that this time around.

Ah, the glowing deadmen. The game would be insanely easy if it were not for them. The problem with the descending platform segment is the atrocious camera, and the fact that the camera controls are not tight at all. That led to about literally a few thousand cheap deaths at the hands of the glowing minions that I could not see because they were attacking me right outside of the camera's eye. My skill at gaming has nothing to do with this - this is just ridiculously poor game design at work. I made it up to this point of the game on "Brutal" difficulty only dying a couple of times before that point. I reach this point, and I die literally a few thousand times.

I would actually go as far as to say that the controls at this game are more frustratingly unresponsive than Leisure Suit Larry - Box Office Bust.

JeppeBoy
03-27-2011, 05:00 PM
- Alot of cheap deaths
- Bad sidescrolling parts
- Bad camera
- Repetitive

Some cheap flaws.

Marketman316
04-21-2011, 11:44 AM
wow cant believe people hated this game i loved every minute of it, gore and heavy metal makes a fun video game, come on its not even particularly difficult either. if you know what to expect from a hack and slash then this is the 1 to get for mindless fun and comedy value!!

Zsciaeount
04-24-2011, 03:26 PM
I agree that the platform sections are complete garbage. That bridge part you talk about is a perfect example, as is one of the jumps you have to make on the crumbling rooftops.

That said, it you remove the awful platforming, and set aside some dodgy throwing mechanics, the game is fairly enjoyable. The gore is over-the-top but I am enjoying the mask's antics and the button-mashy gameplay is a nice departure from the intensity of recent games like Marvel vs. Capcom.

All in all, worth the $10 I paid!

tweakster2k
05-10-2011, 02:44 AM
I actually found this game to be one of the easiest 1000 I've ever played and close to the funnest I've done. The achievements were grinds, which I love, and none of which were extremely difficult to pull off. I can see where some might find it frustrating but it's really not as bad as I've seen in other games

powerslave666
05-11-2011, 04:46 PM
This game is Awesome..
Soo Underrated!!!

truthbtold
06-18-2011, 08:51 AM
For me the game sucked big no way near the original one the designers only concentrated on blood & gore and basically nothing more poor graphics weak gameplay and lots of repetition and you have to play it twice as if it wasnt bad enough

ZCS Nightmare
06-19-2011, 08:29 PM
This game was all right. A few irritations, especially when trying to see all the enemies around you but the camera resists your movement. That little bridge part was a little annoying, though it took me about four tries (sometimes he wouldn't fully jump onto the other platform, dropping stalactites, etc). Mainly the loading screen takes forever.

Other than that, not the best game around, but entertaining enough. Achievements are rather simple. Though, I don't believe I'll try to get the full thousand or even close to it.

Stevey Boy2006
07-28-2011, 10:31 AM
EDITED TO CLARIFY.

I was a huge fan of the original and the early console ports so I grabbed this as soon as I could.

Big mistake.

The platform parts of this game are garbage. And the sad thing is it's not because of the story or the graphics, but because of the broken gameplay. The platformer parts are some of the worst I've ever played in my life. Insta-Kills everywhere, no indication of what you're supposed to do, where you're supposed to go, nothing.

The part in Phase 5 where you're supposed to Spider-Man across the bridge was one of the single worst designed platform levels in the history of gaming. I must have done it (exaggeration) 30 times before I got across. And none of it was my fault. The game just decided that a random piece of wood should fall down and trigger the falling down animation, which doesn't recover until it's far too late to make another jump.

Once enemies begin a combo, you just stand there and take the damage until they're finished. The camera is just horrible, sometimes turning you in completely the wrong direction, or pinning you in a corner.

I could go on and on, but why bother. What a complete and total disappointment for a game that was delayed over a year.

This is my vote for the biggest disappointment for 2010, hands down.

I passed the bridge bit second time, its not random at all, its the same everytime.

You can roll away from enemy combos

But yeah the camera does suck sometimes

rbritten17
08-30-2011, 05:35 AM
I like this haven't really found it that challenging.

purpleinsect
09-13-2011, 09:02 AM
This game feels like it is never going to end and you don't really gain anything on the progress (achievements). It's not a very rewarding experience

ReD S1X
10-08-2011, 12:53 PM
I got headaches on playing the first Phase and after my first death, I said to myself screw it.

I never really a big fan of the original but played it anyway just to why they say it's fun but to be honest playing this game didn't feel that rewarding and I got too many other games to worry about.

Maybe it's part of growing up which feels 'eh' or maybe it's feels like playing Devil May Cry which I despise most (I had an agenda with it, long story).

cacodemon54
10-25-2011, 10:23 PM
Personally I love this game. I didnt run into any freezong issues. worst problem is camera spinning, but find any hack and slash game that doesnt do that.

Kung Fu Man
11-01-2011, 06:28 PM
This is still one of my favorite games of all time and one I didn't have a problem paying $60 for on the Xbox. It's not a perfect game, but I got a lot more out of it than a lot of games I've played over the years. Heck, it's one of the few games I've managed to get 1000/1000 on and actively enjoyed doing so.

JeppeBoy
12-13-2011, 03:25 PM
I can honestly say that this is not a bad game, I thought it was alot of fun. But it's definitely not a fantastic or perfect game, it's far from it.
It's pretty cheap now, so I'd recommend any actionfan to buy it.

PeemcPee
01-13-2012, 01:47 PM
Definitely worth a look now it's cheaper. Yeah the camera sucks sometimes, and it gets a bit repetitive, but it's also a lot of fun! If only I could get those S ranks!

NataSS Inc
02-08-2012, 06:54 AM
Definitely worth a look now it's cheaper. Yeah the camera sucks sometimes, and it gets a bit repetitive, but it's also a lot of fun! If only I could get those S ranks!

I waited a while on this one reading some of the reviews and this forum. I finally got it for 20.00 the other day and just started it today.

My biggest beef is that you really get no instruction on how the flow of comabt works. You just have to mash buttons until you get a hint of what buttons to use. Until you get those hints, you are kind of lost.

JerichoDawg
02-12-2012, 02:12 AM
I'm sorta with the OP. The game isn't exactly top tier. There are a bunch of moments that are frustrating, but once you learn that an air splatter smash can kill basically everything in 1-2 hits, the game isn't so bad. I wouldn't buy it though; worth the rental at least.

I'm just one S-rank away from 100%. "Shadow of the Wickerman" is pretty annoying.

Lord Nikecon
02-13-2012, 05:45 PM
I never played the originals, nor have I even heard of splatter house before its last game. The cover art always stood out to me so a few weeks ago I watched a review and loved it, picked it up the next day.

Visual: I enjoy the cell shaded graphics, makes it more comical which is how I think this game is meant to be. Cheesy predictable 80s horror movies compare! Not to mention the cut scenes are actually pretty well done like the last one for example. That and I'm a fan of metalocalypse so I'm more than fine with gore.

Sound: I'm a fan of metal so hearing some of the bands I listen to on a games sound track was awesome. It really fit with the game in my opinion.

Story: it's nice to take a break from games foaming out the mouth with stories, wether they're good or over done, and just have a game to throw on and just mindlessly kill things.

It might seem odd but I'd give this game a 8.75 out of 10. Could be improved but I really enjoyed it, keeping in mind I went into this not knowing about the originals. I easily went through the game twice within a week. Only complaint I have is that at times with all the powers brutal is a cake walk. And not to mention the perverted pictures of Jenny were a funny touch. Me and my
Girlfriend would laugh each time I found one. But hey we're all perverts so we all enjoy it a bit lol.

KidKobun
04-07-2012, 09:22 AM

Hilarious! Thank you, Incognito. This certainly makes me feel a lot better after coming back to this game almost two years later thinking that getting six S-rankings in each of the challenge arenas would be no problem...especially with the help of the achievement guide and forum here. Heck, I already have three of them...

Nope, it's still garbage. And now I remember why I stopped playing it in the first place: the challenge arena's infuriatingly cheap deaths and insanely long gameplay sessions per arena. What a waste of time. Playing for a solid 18-20 minutes only to be cheaply killed by the hordes of evil Jens and blue creatures that gang rape you is not my idea of a fun time. There goes 2.5 hours of my time.

I was/am ready to snap the disc in half. :mad:

EDIT: You know, it'd be one thing if it was co-op. At least then it would be somewhat fun. Achievements like this make me want to quell my rage by playing a Disney game.

Corpse87
05-21-2012, 02:23 AM
I like it for being a game my old lady got for me,it could be better in certain ways but over all its not real bad.:)

Celtic112685
06-05-2012, 03:14 AM
The game almost didn't get released. I'm glad it did, despite the flaws the publisher obviously ignored after getting the rights to distribute.

d0ct0rscarecr0w
06-16-2012, 07:09 AM
I'm only on phase 5 so I'm not sure how much I can actually judge the game but so far I'm not really disappointed in it.

I don't think this is really a bad game. I mean it's not really a good game, Arkham Asylum had a similar combat structure and it worked a lot better. But it's enjoyable, I was actually stunned by how good the voice acting was considering this is more of a B list game.

here's my breakdown:
Pros
-Decent story
-Simply combat system that isn't just a masher
-Includes 3 other 16 bit games
-Quality voice acting

cons
-The god damn load time!
-Metal music + dialogue makes it so having the volume to loud is annoying and volume to low means I can't hear the dialogue (though I can probably adjust this)
-Nudity in collectables (this makes it really awkward to play around other people.)
-jumping is awkward in 2D segments

unlike other people I didn't find the game too cryptic and I actually really enjoy the 2D portions even though they caused me to die a few times from the jumping controls being weird.

I don't have a lot to say about the graphics, most of the time they are okay. They look really good in the 2D segments. I'm kind of disappointed with the lack of gory animations for monsters deaths outside of scripted finishing moves, but, it's not really a big deal.

In conclusion, the game isn't a terrible game, however, it is flawed. Considering I got it for 10 bucks new (including shipping) on Amazon, it was well worth it.

dethslayer420
06-16-2012, 07:16 AM
when was the last time you played a total reboot of a classic 2d title that was good? Ever play Golden Axe Beast Rider? lmao

mrj3d
06-19-2012, 03:37 PM
I dunno, I thought it was enjoyable. Wasn't great by any means, but I'm happy I played it.

d0ct0rscarecr0w
06-26-2012, 11:08 PM
I dunno, I thought it was enjoyable. Wasn't great by any means, but I'm happy I played it.
Exactly. Plus it includes the 2D games which are pretty good.

eiVaL
07-25-2012, 12:09 AM
the checkpoint system is a fucking joke, made me quit not even past the first stupid baby boss, with the horrible detection of directional controller stick quicktime events where if you press it too fast it acts like it doesnt know you pressed them, but then if you wait it decides now you took too long...i noticed this issue earlier even just trying to do finishing moves vs basic enemies and almost quit then..along with noticing the horrible checkpoint system when i died in the jumping side scroller section between the swinging ball and chains which started me way the hell back no where near that part...

but sure enough when all of those issues combined in the 3rd section of the baby boss was enough to push me over the edge.

oh and the load time between deaths is a joke too

XperimntNterror
07-30-2012, 03:26 PM
The first problem with this game: Gamebryo. Bethesda must've been offering the license on that engine at a budget price, because that's exactly what this game plays like: a budget title.

Combat/combos are sluggish and wonky and after only playing the game for about 20 minutes, the environment just decided to stop drawing in... so i'm literally just running around in an empty void.

Reload checkpoint. And... now there's no audio and the environment has stopped drawing in even sooner than before re-loading.

I think I'm going to shelf this... maybe indefinitely.

This game ranks up there with Alone In The Dark (X360 version, of course) and X-Blades: Not the absolute worst you could do, but still not worth the price. Wait till it's in "less than $10" bargain bin or rent it if you're still curious.

Fozki Razormaid
06-06-2014, 01:30 PM
ive played over 385 games on my xbox
its one of the worst i ever played
TOTAL CRAP
its the dogs bollocks but without the dog