PDA

View Full Version : After a while...I'm now dissapointed

Boba Phil
12-08-2010, 06:54 PM
It's been a while since I've had Kinect now, and I have to say, I'm no longer as enthused as I once was! :(

The games are OK. But, my main gripe is with the voice commands, for two reasons.

1. I was hoping to be able to just sit and flip through my movies on my HDD (which I can't put on the HDD still) and say 'Xbox play' and let it go...but it doesn't do that. Well, not on streamed movies or on DVDs.

I like the fact, that in the original advert for Kinect, it had the couple sat in front of the TV, a wave of her hand and she selects a film and plays it, but it's not that good!

2. The voice command is great, up to a point! I hate the fact, that if you look at your cheeves, you can then only 'go back' with the controller.

I'm fortunate enough to have my sofa a good distance from the TV/Xbox, and where I sit, Kinect will pick up my hand, IF I lean right forward and then wave, only then can I sit back and get it working.

It's just annoying that, if you have something with voice commands, have it fully working with them, not half arsed! Other wise, I'll just pick up my controller and use that...which makes Kinect pretty pointless!

I'm just having a rant, coz it really annoys me. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to carry on streaming TV/movies through my PS3 and my Xbox would be a 'complete entertainment package', but it's not! :mad:

TAI JASON
12-09-2010, 07:39 AM
Be happy: I can't use voice controlls because in europe theres no update for that. We get it next year i hope.

And i still use the controller in the dashboard. It's simply faster...

After all we must wait a little bit. The hardware is not ready for 100% there will be updates coming soon which build up the system.

Bleeding Star
12-09-2010, 08:47 AM
Voice commands has nothing to do with the actual gaming itself though.... you didn't buy Kinect to use the voice commands so how that can be a major factor into suddenly being disappointed by it I don't know

Evo Kazz
12-09-2010, 12:45 PM
I think your just nit picking to be honest, the games and the technology are awesome, I was bored of the Wii within a week, but Kinect is just so much god damn fun!! Ok it is not 100% flawless on speech and movement, but it was never going to be off the bat, it is, as said above, great technology, but it is also new tech none the less.

Also if you own a PS3 why are you wanting to stream through 360 anyways? Ok the 360 is an amazing console for games, but the PS3 dominates in media on every level! The only downside being that a handful of movies wont play now due to recent copyright additions in the firmware (Sony shooting themselves in the foot) but your PS3 should be a much smoother ride for media.

KFZ Scrubs
12-09-2010, 01:06 PM
I feel you there, i haven't used it in about 3 weeks.... but i guess i'm just waiting for the right games to come out for me to use it. I mean... right now the only one i'd want is dance central.... the game sthey have out right now is meant to appeal to the family and casual. So in due time i think we'll all warm up to it when they start to release better games. Also, the new harry potter game with the kinect part.... i consider that shit.

MikerFF5
12-09-2010, 06:36 PM
Just got the Kinect two days ago...and I felt the same way. You can use voice/waving to purchase a video, but not to go through your own collection. And it is currently very limited as to what you can control.

I'm not saying that it's bad - or that it won't get there - but when you see the potential (and they have even gone half-way towards providing something) you do feel a bit disappointed when something that seems so simple isn't available.

I'm sure we'll see more features enabled in future updates.

Zero Logics
12-09-2010, 07:07 PM
I just look at all the stuff on KinectHacks.net (http://kinecthacks.net/) and see it's potential. Microsoft definitely created an excellent product. It's just going to take a little bit more time for people to figure out what to do with it in order to make it more entertaining.

Capn Doug
12-09-2010, 08:40 PM
I would think that the priority should be getting voice commands enabled in every area that doesn't have them yet, as opposed to making it so that people who already have them enabled can do more with them. You might find that the update in March that is supposed to enable voice commands in more areas might include more commands, as well.

RichXbox360
12-09-2010, 10:24 PM
I've had Kinect a month now, and I love it! Best console add on I ever bought! I am addicted to Bowling on Kinect Sports, and the fitness games such as Your Shape FE and the Mel B one are excellent!

FrostyDon Mega
12-09-2010, 11:40 PM
This coming from the guy who bought the Sega Saturn and Dreamcast at launch. I'm a bit shy when it comes to new consoles and things of that nature now. This thread is very helpful though.

Wulf0123
12-10-2010, 03:38 AM
so Kinect? not so that worth it?

Bleeding Star
12-10-2010, 10:20 AM
so Kinect? not so that worth it?

if you want to have a conversation with it - no
if you want to play the games it has to offer - yes

Boba Phil
12-14-2010, 11:13 PM
All fair comments. I think I just see the potential, but Microsoft have yet to deliver (odd that :D).

And I do think the voice control should be more integrated, and not just into the dash board controls either. What was that game where it could be fully played with voice commands (I never played it, obviously), but if you have something as cool as voice control, really step it up guys! It's awesome.

I listen to Last.fm a lot and coz of it, when I listen to music on my PC, I sometimes try to tell the PC to 'next'. :(

I'm sure, with time, I will play Kinect more, but just at the moment, it's still another passing fad...just my humble opinion.

makecrack
01-10-2011, 03:19 AM
It sucks your not happy with your purchase. Hopefully future updates will make it more TC friendly! Im cant even get movies to stream from either my computer through wmc or through a memory stick. Now that i remember this ima find the appropriate thread to find a solution.

Braiiins
01-10-2011, 09:39 PM
I still think kinect is awesome and tons of fun (usually for groups of people, like the wii). I also wish that the voice commands were also available throughout the xbox. I was hoping that I could use it with netflix, streaming from my computer, or a dvd but alas it's just zune.

But i won't let that bring down my opinion on kinect just because i got my hopes up.

maur1c1o
01-11-2011, 02:47 PM
I havent even bothered setting up voice comands ive only used it to play games thats all i still use the controll on the dashboard as its faster and more convenient

Chogem
01-11-2011, 03:56 PM
It's only fun if you are with more people. It's maybe a little bit expensive for only that purpose . But I am not disappointed. It's realy fun if you don't play to often..

oboewan42
01-11-2011, 07:47 PM
According to MS at CES, Kinect-enabled Netflix will be part of the spring dash update.

ferrara316
01-11-2011, 08:48 PM
honestly who cares about the voice commands, i rather use my control anyway to select what i am going to do with kinect anyway.

StillTIPPIN187
01-11-2011, 10:36 PM
Its for party fun.. or Good fun with your Girl. I dont think it was meant for hours on in alone fun.. I know ive only played for 45min to maybe an hour by myself till i said fuck it ill wait till my girl gets home and share a few laughs together ya know.

I use me Xbox Media Remote for my Movies and stuff.. screw all that holding your hand steady in a circle crap.

I just click a button on my media remote and im good.. Dont have to sync it like a controller.. and i dont have to waive like a kinect. I just aim and press. Done.

and what do you mean you cannot download movies to ur hdd? I can just fine.. i have all seasons of friends, Hannah Montana (yes i like it), Two and a half men. and various comedy movies all saved on my hdd.. Have you run outta room? is that the problem?

barrykeith
01-15-2011, 01:40 AM
I agree its still real new and new games and updates will be out soon enough

Cramtree
01-16-2011, 12:17 PM
If you make an American profile on a European / Australian console you can activate the voice commands.. I don't see why it's not enabled, it works perfectly with the different accents anyway =/

Opiate42
01-17-2011, 03:25 PM
http://images.roosterteeth.com/assets/media/9_4d0ad3ecc579c.jpg

mistaken4u
01-22-2011, 01:55 AM
Are the kinect games good? I want to get it soon but not too sure if I'd enjoy it.

SteveO1114
01-22-2011, 10:53 AM
kind of getting bored of mine too. dance central is fun but im not using it as much as i thought i was

Manx Lynx
01-22-2011, 12:46 PM
I agree there will be a firmware update this yr and some issues will get sorted. Hardcore game titles will be released this yr also. Bring on Forza 4

Manx Lynx
01-22-2011, 12:48 PM
Some are good. My fave is Kinect sports thats fun. But are proper hardcore games coming out this yr to make it even better

Freakie
01-22-2011, 06:32 PM
I agree there will be a firmware update this yr and some issues will get sorted. Hardcore game titles will be released this yr also. Bring on Forza 4

Don't forget a possible Gears of War title for Kinect, however that would work.

D00MZDAY89
01-25-2011, 04:59 AM
Im sure they will have an update soon to fix some of the little bugs thats why i'm waiting a lil bit to get one.

Y0UNIK0RN
01-30-2011, 04:00 PM
I bought a kinect at launch and played it for 3 weeks. The thing has so much dust on it now, I'm tired of waiting for updates and new games or even new games to be announced. I wish there was more support since they claim over 8 million units were purchased. :(

WhoStoleMyKiwis
01-31-2011, 03:41 AM
I truly hope they get some firmware updates on the kinect, I especially can't wait for avatar kinect since that will further facial recognition. I hope it can be incorporated into the games as well.

Verkunder
01-31-2011, 02:50 PM
I can understand not being completely jazzed to play Kinect games after a while (I only have a handful of songs on Dance Central to run through, but keep getting distracted), but it'll show its worth to you in time, Netflix and Hulu+ being the main things.

One thing I will say, though: don't get rid of it! I work as an Xbox representative for retailers like Gamestop and see traded-in Kinects all the time. It kills me.

Abrupt D3mise
02-02-2011, 05:45 PM
I agree, I personally hate kinect. I've always loved xbox and microsofts take on the industry, but this new focus on casual gamers has made me contemplate switching over to a PS3. Sony is trying to steal some of the wii audience too, but atleast the move controls are slightly more accurate (and thus hardcore- requiring skill- less casual) than kinect

Febo00
02-06-2011, 06:59 PM
kinect dissapointed me as well. too laggy.

Tufty
02-07-2011, 02:23 AM
http://images.roosterteeth.com/assets/media/9_4d0ad3ecc579c.jpg

Thanks for posting. I missed that one.

HytestA
02-07-2011, 11:50 AM
Ive not used my Kinect since a few days after Xmas, but I can also see the potential. There are failings with it at the moment... the lack of control over the dashboard for one, I dont like the Kinect specific dash but its all very new tech at the moment.
Give it some time and things will improve, feedback is a good thing and MS will im sure be taking note of what people want. Things will be intergrated into new firmware updates but unfortunately these things do take time.
I'll be waiting to see how things improve with both the dash and the games that are going to come out for this new tech. I just hope that its not just going to be Dance and Fitness games that appear :)

Blood Wolf347
02-07-2011, 01:15 PM
I personally don't like the Kinect, It seems to be a attempted way of copying off Sony and the Wii.

Tufty
02-07-2011, 01:33 PM
I personally don't like the Kinect, It seems to be a attempted way of copying off Sony and the Wii.

Not at all. The concept is similar, but they technology used is completely different.

Tufty
02-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Don't forget a possible Gears of War title for Kinect, however that would work.

I think most shooters will work like Resident Evil for the Wii. You just aim on the screen, but the game moves itself.

adamrulz
02-07-2011, 06:42 PM

But it's OK that Sony straight up copied Wii? I like wii as much as the next guy, but there is just something awesome about playing games without handling ANYTHING. You really have to use your entire body, and the controls aren't bad at all, you just have to have enough room, and really stand back and take your time with some motions. Like bowling...once I stood back far enough and took my time, getting the achievos weren't bad at all.

dnodavila
02-10-2011, 04:06 PM
I was really into my kinect when it came out but has slowly been removed from daily use. Great fun when people are over but when I'm playing by myself I need to have new games. The past two Ive bought were horrible too. Game Party in Motion and Body and Mind exercises, but I guess thats my fault for not knowing better

chewysolodude
02-12-2011, 01:06 AM
dont know what your tlaking about it can keep me busy for hours

FortonHFC
02-12-2011, 06:59 AM
The hardware is not 100% but let's face it, this is the first kind of hardware released by Microsoft, it isn't going to be perfect, give it a couple of months, possibly years and Kinect will be even more amazing.

Watty8883
02-12-2011, 11:07 AM
I love the kinect overall but the biggest issue for me is the massive amount of space needed but when it works its a unique experience and i havent played the wii ever since.Voice recognition and Kinect ID doesnt work perfect but I think thats down to me .
As long as people continue to support the Kinect I believe it will be even more awesome by next year when more quality titles should be out.

RedHusky
02-12-2011, 10:07 PM
Its for party fun.. or Good fun with your Girl. I dont think it was meant for hours on in alone fun.. I know ive only played for 45min to maybe an hour by myself till i said fuck it ill wait till my girl gets home and share a few laughs together ya know.

I use me Xbox Media Remote for my Movies and stuff.. screw all that holding your hand steady in a circle crap.

I just click a button on my media remote and im good.. Dont have to sync it like a controller.. and i dont have to waive like a kinect. I just aim and press. Done.

and what do you mean you cannot download movies to ur hdd? I can just fine.. i have all seasons of friends, Hannah Montana (yes i like it), Two and a half men. and various comedy movies all saved on my hdd.. Have you run outta room? is that the problem?

I agree. Give me a hard-button remote for movies any day.

minus15t
02-12-2011, 11:23 PM
at first I had hoped that the voice recognition could do this, but when you actually think about it for a second, it just simply isn't feasible. The voice recognition they have covers around 30 phrases, but is able to pick that up in regional accents from all over the world. Now, try expanding those 30 phrases to the millions of titles of songs, artists, films, tv shows, and you realise how it can't be done.<br><Br>I personally just got the sensor, and so far it does exactly what is says. voice recognition for dashboard navigation, full body motion control, only draw back I have noticed is that it can get a little confused between left and right hands if you hold them too close together (can be a big issue on joy ride) but getting a frisbee or something to keep your hands apart fixes it :)