PDA

View Full Version : Good for losing weight?

Panic!
12-17-2010, 08:54 PM
Just wondering the above question. Thx.

RichXbox360
12-17-2010, 09:10 PM
I strongly recommend getting Your Shape FE and possibly EA Active 2.0, if you're in UK I'd also get the Mel B game, I'm currently working on YS FE and the Mel B game, the latter of which is also good for achievements, I got 6 in one session last week.

rekikire
12-17-2010, 09:30 PM
Any exercise is good, but what you're eating is more important. If you're still eating crap then exercise isn't going to make much difference.

Spanky4G63
12-18-2010, 06:59 AM
Want something breakthrough for losing weight? Diet and exercise. Stop trying to associate playing video games in your living room as a way to lose weight. Maybe good for a nice warm up or after workout session but I wouldn't expect any console peripheral to drop an astonishing amount of weight on anyone.

ADuckInATub
12-18-2010, 10:47 AM
I would think so. if The Wii fit can do it i dont see why Microsoft can produce better results with NO controllers.

Sargonas
12-18-2010, 08:34 PM
I'm honestly impressed, I've been using EA Active 2 for about two months now. (Got it early through work) and have been getting one hell of a workout from it. It has had a genuine impact on shifting some of my "I just turned 30 and can no longer eat what I want when I want and drink all that beer" gut off of my waist and allowed me to shift some of that weight to actual muscles in my legs (Frigging squats are evil, I think that game is out to kill me via them).

slaughterTITAN
12-19-2010, 12:15 AM
God I hope so, It will be a nice break from my constant routine of Insanity and Cardio..... can only take so much!

Daunting Lady
12-20-2010, 12:27 AM
To be honest I think you would get better results from going to the gym. Or maybe use the gym once or twice a week and kinect on other days.

If you want to use the kinect only, I suppose it would be better than doing no exercise at all.

I go to the gym or swim 3 times a week. Ideally I would like to go more. But sometimes I get bored with the gym and it’s really hard to motivate my self. I hope to get a kinect soon to motivate me to exercise a bit more, or to use when I can’t get to the gym for some reason such as getting snowed in.

Also you need to watch what you eat like previous posters have said, I know it’s more difficult to do in reality than it sounds. But it’s totally worth it when you start to see results. :)

JeJans
12-20-2010, 07:09 PM
I happen to know that im getting a kinect for christmas and im looking forward to working out with it. I have always been into games and cardioworkout. Me, myself HATES to run. Itīs so much more fun to play games (even if they are more of a fitnessprogram than a game). (Have been playing yourself fitness and get fit with mel b... and tried out zumba, not the game, the dvd).

Recently i started to play "the fight" with playstation move and holy shit! Im hitting the gym 5 times a week and im doing cardio like once or twice a week (Cause it sucks, hope kinect helps me with that) and i was so tired after just 1-2 fights. Today im sore all over the body, both arms, the sides of my core and my traps are insane atm.

Like i said i really looking forward to yourself fitness... and dance central (should be kind of heavy for the cardio aswell)

And My Point For All This... If i can train my body to look good with videogames im 100% sure that you can loose weight with kinect, no doubt about it! I donīt need to loose any fat, but itīs always good to trim those muscles of yours and keep your sixpack;)

Mega Mayo Man
12-20-2010, 08:38 PM
SacredCell, that is so sad to do... you could have introduced yourself or something instead.....

On-Topic: The game is only good for losing weight if you put in the time. It's definately a more entertaining way to lose weight, and you don't feel like you're on a weight-watchers programme lol.

ChArG1nMaLAZ0R
12-21-2010, 11:13 AM
whoever thinks it wont help at all are a bit naive. obviously any sort of excercise will help you lose weight along with a good health diet.

you dont have to go to a gym to lose weight. sure they are equiped well to do certain things but its not essential to be a member of a gym to be healthy. if you dont have time for the gym or sports its a good substitution. waggling your arms a bit wont do anything though lol.

tehapoc
12-21-2010, 02:04 PM
As long as you give accurate information on the game regarding your size and weight then it should be fairly accurate to how many calories that you're able to burn. These games aren't a bad thing. Might be a stepping stone for some people to get motivated and start making healthier lifestyle choices.

SynysterChris
12-22-2010, 02:55 PM
Want something breakthrough for losing weight? Diet and exercise. Stop trying to associate playing video games in your living room as a way to lose weight. Maybe good for a nice warm up or after workout session but I wouldn't expect any console peripheral to drop an astonishing amount of weight on anyone.

Maybe you have never hear of a little something called DDR (Dance Dance Revolution) Hell that came out on the PS1 and if you actually put the time into it you could give yourself one hell of a work out. Especially if you play on heavy mode.

ChArG1nMaLAZ0R
12-23-2010, 09:37 AM
Maybe you have never hear of a little something called DDR (Dance Dance Revolution) Hell that came out on the PS1 and if you actually put the time into it you could give yourself one hell of a work out. Especially if you play on heavy mode.

yeah i'm not sure why he thinks excercising with a game is any different than normal excercise. i mean i lost weight when i had to walk to and from work an hour a day lol.

anything that keeps you active is good for you. i mean if you dont keep at it it will not work and if you pile burgers down your throat everyday aswell it wont work.

but you dont have to go to a gym to be healthy

judd90
12-23-2010, 09:39 AM
Definitely good for losing weight/keeping fit. Probably not as good as going running or to the gym but still good.

The Biggest Loser is pretty good and definitely Your Shape Fitness Evolved.

DoomzDay928
12-27-2010, 02:00 AM
That would be cool as I need to shed a few holiday Lbs.

SpleenVent
12-28-2010, 03:13 PM
On it's own? No.

With a decent diet/portion control, then it's better than nothing.

I bought Kinect and YS:FE to add to the gym/running/fitness classes I already do - plus to finally get my wife interested in gaming.

Personally I can burn far more calories running/eliptical/RPM class, but with YS:FE it gives me a chance to do classes I wouldn't do at the gym due to my piss poor co-ordination! It adds a good variety into my existing fitness routine, and provides a different workout so my body doesn't get used to just one thing.

Berad Jenkins
12-28-2010, 06:11 PM
I would honestly say that yes, you can lose weight from playing the Kinect.

Obviously, as someone else said, your Diet is a huge factor in it also.

JeJans
12-28-2010, 06:32 PM
I played your shape for the first time yesterday and im impressed! worked very well. Sadly im sick now so will have to pass to workout the upcoming days.

True I Skill
12-28-2010, 08:51 PM
I've been playing that Kinect adventure game and its actualy pretty fun. Just wondering are the Work out games fun? I dont normaly enjoy jumping about and stuff but I've had alot of fun with the Adventure game, wanna pick up another one that'l help me lose some weight and i'l have fun with at the same time...

KrKrKrKr
01-04-2011, 02:34 PM
Any exercise is better than no exercise at all. Personally I'm not convinced games like the ones available for the Kinect are enough to really loose weight or perform good exercise.

Watch what you eat, take up running or something like that and stick to it. If you just exercise without changing your diet as well, then it won't work.

St Jolly777
01-04-2011, 03:23 PM
I really believe that the game(s) won't transform an obese person into a model...but on the margin...it will make improvements for people that are in some degree of shape. As was said earlier...there is no magic pill...but I view these games as a nice enhancement to an already established fitness routine.

chpwn
01-05-2011, 12:48 AM
My cousin lost 25 lbs over a month and ahalf. It just takes personal motivation and determination really.

Winkyboy
01-06-2011, 06:45 AM
I've played through the entire Kinect Adventures and I think that a gym would be better, but the Reflex Ridge minigame is a pretty good workout - especially the Olympian level. For what it's worth, in Adventures, the most-to-least taxing workout minigames are:

Reflex Ridge - almost always heart-pumping
Rally Ball - not much of a game, but makes you flail a lot
River Rush - more fun, not so much of a workout
Space Pop - I GUESS your arms get tired after many games of this.
20,000 Leaks - this is neither fun nor a workout

ashleary
01-06-2011, 10:23 AM
If you'll excuse the pun - I've been stiff most mornings where I've had a late night session playing some vicious kinect volleyball lol.

Overall though, I cant imagine that Kinect can help you lose weight, unless you play it pretty much 24/7..

aggieweather
01-08-2011, 06:07 AM
You would be better off getting a membership to a fitness club or something like that.

makecrack
01-10-2011, 03:12 AM
if a person interested in losing weight starts with buying a kinect i think there on the wrong track. of coarse you WILL burn calories playing the more active kinect games, you would be better off regulating and maintaining a diet and lining up an actual workout plan.

Jen32113
01-10-2011, 07:19 PM
Just purchased Dance Central about 2 weeks ago and you can seriously work up a sweat in that game. Plus it has a workout timer that tells you how long you have been dancing. I love it! :)

LtDrum
01-12-2011, 03:28 AM
My cousin lost 25 lbs over a month and ahalf. It just takes personal motivation and determination really.

Defiantly take personal motivation. I got one and have yet to use it for exercise... i need to but I just don’t think about it or don’t push myself... one day though.

KillaAPE50
01-12-2011, 02:23 PM
I know the kinect may help people lose weight, but really, get out and exercise. I had the non-pleasure of playing dance central (forced to), and for a 150 pounder, you have to be on 24/7 to burn a lot of calories...

coxeh
01-18-2011, 04:31 PM
Going outdoors to get fresh air and doing excersise will do better for your body. The human body is not designed to do excersise in a living room stairing at a TV i do admit that it is a very good way for people who are self consious and it is easy and you can play it naked but fresh air and outdoors is always better

CoXeH

im srs bsns
01-19-2011, 09:41 AM
i've been looking to get a kinect for the girlfriend (she really wants to play kinectimals) i was wondering which work out game was better, looks like ea from here.

bbk70
01-19-2011, 11:14 AM
Any exercise is good exercise if you're overweight. I lead an incredible sedentary lifestyle, that involves mainly sitting on my fat backside all day. Im the wrong side of 40, and have been obese for as long as I can remember. Kinect is making me sweat, and that HAS to be a good thing. Ideally I'd be outside running or cycling, but damn, its cold, grey and wet here, it takes a much stronger person mentally than me to get the motivation to do it. I'm an achievement whore, so anything that can drive me on to break through the next barrier is a good thing. Got Fitness Evolved at the weekend, did one session, and I was buggered until today - but Im 14 calories short of another 10g, and that drives me on. Yes, its pathetic, g drives me on more than the thought of leaving my kids fatherless, I am aware of how incredibly bad this sounds!

ArnVikings
01-19-2011, 08:26 PM
Your Shape FE is a pretty good game to burn off some calories. I don't know that you could realistically lose much weight with this game alone, but it helps me change up my routine now-and-then.

Terriah
01-21-2011, 12:18 AM
If you're looking to lose weight, then any exercise is good. There was a recent article about a women who couldn't afford a gym but also felt self-conscious and depressed about her weight in front of other people. So she used a wii and used that to help her start to exercise more. She's lost quite a bit of weight since it got her the confidence to diet properly and has made her much happier. It seems like an unusual resort, but there's no reason why the kinect couldn't be used as a similar thing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1346394/Grandmother-loses-half-stone-using-Wii-Fit-nicknamed-fatty-bum-bum-nana.html

However what's said above, is you have to be serious about it, stay focused and motivated and remember, you need to look at what you eat too.
Making small changes to your diet over a period of time can help you get used to it without a drastic jump. So rather than eating junk food, have a yoghurt or some fruit. If you feel hungry try having a big glass of water first. Rather than having 2 pieces of something, just have one. Those sorts of things, rather than being massive changes to your diet are useful to getting you on the right path. Keep cutting down what you eat and make sure you're eating the right foods in good proportions.

WhoStoleMyKiwis
01-25-2011, 04:51 PM
There are tons of games on the Kinect which can help you do just that. Kinect Sports, Kinect Adventures, and Your Shape Fitness Evolved as well.

I mean I wouldn't suggest it to a 350 pound man if say he wanted to lose.. I dont know? 50 pounds... which is wicked steep, and the Kinect would not be right for that sort of goal. But rather its for the everyday natural active people who like to get their blood flowing I guess.

Neon Raptor
01-30-2011, 12:03 AM
Considering the amount of physical movement needed is more than the Wii and a number of these games force you to stand rather than sit around and flick the control. I reckon you could burn a reasonable amount of weight, especially with the market these games seem to have developed.

bekkilyn
01-30-2011, 01:58 AM
Regardless of how or where you exercise, your diet is about 80% of weight loss. There is a minimum and maximum amount of calories you should eat per day for your age, current weight, and gender for weight loss, and you can visit sites like sparkpeople.com to figure out your daily calorie needs.

Outside of diet, it makes no difference whatsoever whether you are exercising in a gym, outside, or inside your house. Some people suggested running, but running can be very bad for the knees, so it may be a horrible exercise for some people. Others may never exercise if they had to do it in a gym because it takes a lot more time and effort to get up, drive all the way over to one, fight other people there for equipment, etc. rather than just getting up, plugging in a DVD or fitness game, and going to town.

Like diet, exercise is a very personalized activity. What is optimal for one person may be the worst thing ever for another person. Although I do other physical exercises besides Kinect/Wii, I have had a huge amount of success keeping fit with these games as well as some basic exercise DVD's that I've used without ever setting foot outside my front door.

Yes, the Kinect can help you lose weight, but just like *any* activity, it's only one part of a balanced whole.

Brutalsleeper
02-09-2011, 12:37 AM
Completely agree with Bekkilyn. If you have a problem with your weight there's lots that need to be done, Kinect exercise how ever can be used to supplement what ever else you are doing.

I am not unhappy with my weight, although Im not perfect I haven't changed my diet at all but have been using kinect adventures a lot and not much has changed appearance wise but I do feel better. So I'm sure if I added this with an exercise and diet plan I would lose that tad of excess and gain some much needed muscle.

So don't replace Exercise with Kinect, but if you fancy playing some xbox it won't hurt to boot up any kinect game.

JeJans
02-09-2011, 10:07 AM
I have replaced all my cardio exercises with kinect. (biggest looser, your shape and dance central) and im loving it! usually i hate cardio, running etc. Itīs so **** boring! I do hit the gym 5 times a week though and i have been eating right since i started (1 January). I lost 4 kg and 6 cm on my waist.

I have been training for about 3 years before this but know im deffing for that sixpack;)

Im 1.88 and 86.6 kg and i donīt really need to loose weight, just those last kg so my abs looking a little better. If really want to, you CAN replace your cardio with kinect but you will indeed spend more time training than if you where out running.

Watty8883
02-11-2011, 10:02 AM
It sure keeps you motivated which is most important thing.Dont know about losing weight because I run regularly but it sure encourages you to use muscles you dont normally use.As an aid to toning I think it hits the mark just getting a bit bored of squatting then aching the day after lol.

JeJans
02-11-2011, 11:00 AM
Im a bit bored by your shape by now, almost burned 8000 cal. If it wasnīt for the achievements i wouldenīt keep playing!

RedHusky
02-12-2011, 10:05 PM

Did he lose it with Kinect games?

Nathycakes
02-15-2011, 01:47 AM
i found the kinect far more physical than the wii fit software and board, some elements in the sports games for some less physical people i.e me! i did find some of the harder elements found me working up a sweat, i don't think the game will help you to lose weight as this comes with dieting and all the other correct requirements, but i think it will make alot of people realize how unfit they potentially are when a kinect game gets the heart racing!

legreffer
02-15-2011, 04:35 AM
I have YS and EASA2 and i use YS to warm-up and then do a workout in EASA2 (9 weeks in medium) and i have to say that this game is REALLY hard on cardio and muscle (i don't have weight to lose). But if you want to lose weight with kinect, it's like any other form of losing weight : you have to be determined, kinect games won't do magic here.
And eating well is very important, without it you won't lose much !

GNB
02-19-2011, 03:54 PM
I agree the the games alone will not provide dramatic weight loss or increase in health. Which is why I think it is inappropriate that they advertise the games as such. Reminds me of the Southpark episode where Jared admitted to having Aides. LOL

Abdable
02-20-2011, 03:04 PM
kinect defonatly does make you sweat if you get into it anouth

JeJans
02-20-2011, 05:30 PM
Of course you will loose weight, if you eat right and use any exercise at all! But the question is: Is kinect GOOD for loosing weight?

And it depends on how you see it. I mean, running are way better training than any game on kinect can give you. You will loose more weight the more you move and running just makes you move more! But for me, running is a pain in the ass... i really hate it! So when i actually run i pushing myself to do it maybe 2-3 times a week. With some kinect games (your shape for me lately) you will think itīs pretty fun and you can workout 5 times a week and maybe over an hour each time and overall it can be as good to workout with kinect as if you where running. Me, myself using HIIT when running so i only run for max 30 minutes.

In the long run, itīs all about motivation! If you can keep up running 3-5 times a week all year around thats awesome, im jealous! And that will and are better than working out on kinect 3-5 times, you will have to spend a lot more time with kinect at least. But i can, as i know of now. Use your shape 5 times a week for a long time without getting bored. And when i will be, hopefully theres another good fitnessgame coming

Smallzie
02-20-2011, 05:38 PM
Get the biggest loser game. It helps to lose weight while you're playing kinect so you can play more kinect!

strayhellcat
02-21-2011, 06:47 AM
This thread is full of great information, thanks guys! I am a fairly small girl who used Wii Fit + to get toned and it actually worked - I HATE gyms with a passion as I am fairly self conscious. I'll definitely be checking out the games listed in this thread :)

Jeaneneoh
02-21-2011, 08:10 AM
Pretty much sums it all up there!

RichXbox360
02-21-2011, 02:23 PM
If you're looking to lose weight, then any exercise is good. There was a recent article about a women who couldn't afford a gym but also felt self-conscious and depressed about her weight in front of other people. So she used a wii and used that to help her start to exercise more. She's lost quite a bit of weight since it got her the confidence to diet properly and has made her much happier. It seems like an unusual resort, but there's no reason why the kinect couldn't be used as a similar thing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1346394/Grandmother-loses-half-stone-using-Wii-Fit-nicknamed-fatty-bum-bum-nana.html

However what's said above, is you have to be serious about it, stay focused and motivated and remember, you need to look at what you eat too.
Making small changes to your diet over a period of time can help you get used to it without a drastic jump. So rather than eating junk food, have a yoghurt or some fruit. If you feel hungry try having a big glass of water first. Rather than having 2 pieces of something, just have one. Those sorts of things, rather than being massive changes to your diet are useful to getting you on the right path. Keep cutting down what you eat and make sure you're eating the right foods in good proportions.

Meh, the story was in the Daily Fail, therefore it's probably made up.

vandil
02-21-2011, 04:37 PM
I'm 6', 230 pounds, and enjoy both Dance Central and Active 2, but I don't see either of them being something that I can stick with in the amounts needed to treat as a weight loss tool.

silentlybroken
02-24-2011, 02:18 AM
I don't know that it helps me lose weight, but I do at least 30mins of kinect (that makes me tired and hot, sticky and achey) and it's definitely extremely active. I don't see how it shouldn't be counted as exercise if you're using the workout type games and of course, watching what you eat (as always).

I love playing it daily just to try and keep myself active and I'm pretty sure it burns some calories with the amount I fly about my room (and frequently into the bookcase and the window lol).

I much prefer it to the gym, I really don't like working out around other people :/

mendorin
02-26-2011, 02:54 AM
Try the Biggest Loser game for Kinect . I also found Dance Central to be a hell of a workout .

And honestly , you gotta be committed to losing weight to see any results . Haha , I always get distracted with other games I could be playing , versus jumping around and working out on Kinect :[

Coruba
02-26-2011, 07:51 AM
I have got Your Shape FE, and it is good for general fitness if you did a routine everyday ( which I don't ) but really like evryone else has said, your not really gonna drop weight from a bit of cardio. The game is fun however and you get gamerscore for working out, so it works for me.

Rents
02-26-2011, 09:50 AM
From what I've seen, the kinect exercise games provide only minimal aerobic stimulus...if it were done often enough and combined with a genuine diet it could yield results. Though I can imagine kinect to be far more enjoyable, any weight lost would pale in comparison to what one could lose on a high intensity workout regime.

DPMO
02-26-2011, 07:53 PM
take a few pounds off and earn achieves what more could u ask for and yes it is i have lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks

HokieJK
03-05-2011, 03:31 PM
i hope so...

Snowwwwy
03-09-2011, 01:57 AM
Personally, it may contribute a little to helping lose weight, but your still going to need to do some sort of proper cardio and whatnot.

Tussell
03-09-2011, 05:30 AM
You'll probably lose as much weight playing two hours of this, as you would walking back and forth to the fridge five times. You're better off walking to the fridge, as you'll most likely get something out of it.

JeJans
03-09-2011, 09:47 AM
You'll probably lose as much weight playing two hours of this, as you would walking back and forth to the fridge five times. You're better off walking to the fridge, as you'll most likely get something out of it.

You are moving youīre body for 2 hours VS youīre moving youīre body in less than 5 minutes... and you believe that you will loose as much weight on both "activitys"? well, thatīs just sad.

Snowwwwy
03-09-2011, 10:46 AM
You are moving youīre body for 2 hours VS youīre moving youīre body in less than 5 minutes... and you believe that you will loose as much weight on both "activitys"? well, thatīs just sad.
How is it sad? Its what he thinks?

JeJans
03-09-2011, 12:18 PM
How is it sad? Its what he thinks?

Im just wondering how anyone can think that, it speaks for itself that moving for 2 hours burns more than 5 minutes. I just found it weird, but yes... he are allowed to think whatever he want

Huzzah
03-09-2011, 04:56 PM
I plan on picking up a Kinect in the next couple of weeks and will buy Dance Central and Biggest Loser. I think those are a good way to start. My biggest issue is time. I don't have the time to go to a gym with 2 young kids. So after everyone's asleep, that's when I can work out.

JeJans
03-09-2011, 05:14 PM
I plan on picking up a Kinect in the next couple of weeks and will buy Dance Central and Biggest Loser. I think those are a good way to start. My biggest issue is time. I don't have the time to go to a gym with 2 young kids. So after everyone's asleep, that's when I can work out.

You could really work up a sweat with those games! I would suggest to buy your shape instead of biggest looser though:)

niko da bos
03-09-2011, 10:45 PM
personally i prefer conditioning myself over a gym/trainer, i would group kinect into that. make it a priority to do 20 push-ups whenver you enter a certain room, or do a certain task. also using a chin-up bar for situps works wonders, although you can get a little lightheaded from being upside down lol.

but i attended military school for two years and found that working out this way, is much easier and quicker than using a gym. not to mention alot cheaper. after returning to civilian life, i wanted to stay in shape and found that this method was very effective.

purpleinsect
03-11-2011, 06:17 PM
I got the Biggest Loser game and it can be brutal! I consider myself to be in a fairly good shape, but the things you have to do there are nasty :D So yeah I'd say it's good for losing some weight IF you follow the programs.

gooniesala
03-12-2011, 01:47 AM
I got the Biggest Loser game and it can be brutal!.

I've been debating on getting the Biggst loser game, Have you found it worth while or is same as Yourshape?. I've lost weight with the normal downloads with YourFitness, I really enjoy doing them. Not only does the heart get going but you get achievement points with cals lost.

It's always good to change up your workouts every couple of weeks. I not only do Kinect now, I still do my weight training or p90x. But Kinect gives me a different program I can do within 30mins. Mostly when I don't have a lot of time to do anything. With all weight loss (I've lost 40kgs in the past over a year - and 5kgs with kinect over a month) you need not only exercise but good eating habits. You can still eat 'junk' food, just not all the time.

JeJans
03-12-2011, 03:17 PM
I've been debating on getting the Biggst loser game, Have you found it worth while or is same as Yourshape?. I've lost weight with the normal downloads with YourFitness, I really enjoy doing them. Not only does the heart get going but you get achievement points with cals lost.

It's always good to change up your workouts every couple of weeks. I not only do Kinect now, I still do my weight training or p90x. But Kinect gives me a different program I can do within 30mins. Mostly when I don't have a lot of time to do anything. With all weight loss (I've lost 40kgs in the past over a year - and 5kgs with kinect over a month) you need not only exercise but good eating habits. You can still eat 'junk' food, just not all the time.

Biggest looser are worse than your shape imo! But itīs a pretty big diffrence so they are not the same!

biteuk
03-12-2011, 04:09 PM
i personally think that Kinect isn't going to help you lose a great amount of weight, unless you are quite a lot overweight, and you make it part of a daily routine. I can however, voich for the fact that most of the routines on Yourshape, done properly, will help build body definition... fact. I alwasy say, it's better to do a little, than to do nothing!

Ivanich E Ringpiece
03-24-2011, 07:15 PM
Well so far I have gained pounds rather than lose them...
But thats coz I havent been on Kinect since Xmas... oooopss

JeJans
03-24-2011, 07:26 PM
Well so far I have gained pounds rather than lose them...
But thats coz I havent been on Kinect since Xmas... oooopss

Youīre not gaining weight because you havenīt been on the kinect... Itīs probably because you eat fast-food and donīt train at all ;)

Yalic
03-24-2011, 07:27 PM
every kind of sports is good for your body

JeJans
03-24-2011, 07:28 PM

They are indeed, some better than others thought

Ivanich E Ringpiece
03-25-2011, 06:07 AM
Youīre not gaining weight because you havenīt been on the kinect... Itīs probably because you eat fast-food and donīt train at all ;)

:woop: lol yeah I know..
But I am always on this site or playing MoH... Don't have time to excersise lol

Evo Kazz
03-25-2011, 08:27 AM
Well I am a fat bastard and I did Kinect for 2 weeks when we bought it, I was not dieting and I lost half a stone getting 1000 on Kinect Adventures, I since put that back on cos I been eating the wrong things, but started a diet today and thinking of getting my arse on Your Shape as that is pretty intense also. Especially if your not used to training like me. So I would say to those saying its useless, your wrongly informed, Kinect WILL help lose weight if you play it regularly, even 3 times a week for an hour each time will help you. If you do not train that is, if your the sporty type anyways then it likely wont do much more than what your doing, but for fat bastards like me, Kinect is a godsend.

SengIV
03-25-2011, 12:30 PM
I needed to lose weight, and still do lol. But I started eating healthy and going to the gym every other day. On my off days from the gym I played Kinect for exercise. Im down 50 pounds since it came out. But I wouldnt say Kinect on its own would do it, just like eating healthy wont do it. You need to combine the way you eat with exercise to see results.

TL;DR Version - Yes

Ivanich E Ringpiece
03-25-2011, 06:41 PM
There is also the little problem of disability here..
I got a knackered back from an injury sustained while I was serving in the Army..
I am a little limited as to what I can do..
I am also trying to add friends so I can send a challenge....
Any takers..
Albeit just for fun lol

PauLov3r Z
04-04-2011, 02:08 PM
i use ea active 2 and it really makes me sweat!

Dale Norris
04-04-2011, 08:06 PM
i what to get the connect for my wife as she just Love's the idea of shifting a bit of what she calls her bit of pregnancy wait sound like a good idea now thanks

Snowwwwy
04-05-2011, 01:05 AM
I wouldnt say its good but it is better than sitting down and playing a video game. Thats for sure.

Kingsleyy
07-13-2011, 03:07 PM
EEG
Insulin and C-peptide concentration
Oral glucose tolerance test
Must perform these test to know the basic reason of your weight loss.
Los Angeles Fitness Trainer (http://straightupfitness.com/los-angeles-fitness-trainer/)

jessaB
07-14-2011, 10:08 AM
Proper diet, sleep and exercise is good for you to lose weight.

TAI JASON
07-14-2011, 10:16 AM
I started to play Dance Central and i must say: After one our dacing iīm finished. I got a normal buddy, but this game make me sweat like a rosted pig. Besides that you must move the entire body and you canīt cheat if want good results.

I think if somebody do this everyday for 45min. over a month and take an eye on food you definetly lose weight.

The thing is you must stay focus.

Majkeeboy
07-17-2011, 12:35 PM
Cool. Have to try it out!

itsonlyaimee
07-19-2011, 10:09 PM
My problem with the Kinect or any gaming device for losing weight is that I buy it with good intentions but soon get bored of looking at the walls in my house.

However, I would definitely recommend the Kinect over the Wii Fit.

Dodo191077
07-22-2011, 03:53 PM
Your shape makes fun. and Dance Central too. My kids love Dance Central.

Evo Kazz
07-22-2011, 05:58 PM
Just an update here, I was at weight watchers and was losing about 1 pound a week, as I struggle with my appetite. I started aiming for the 100% on yourshape (got it last week) by doing the following daily:

Cardio 1.1 (5mins)
Cardio Boxing Bronze Entire Class (10mins)
Cardio Boxing Silver Entire Class (12mins)
Cardio Boxing Gold Entire Class (14mins)

My previous weigh in I lost my average 1 pound, the week I had used the above programmes daily, my weight loss rocketed to 5 and a half pounds in 6 days!! This past 2 weeks I skipped meeting, and I ate the wrong stuff, but doing the above daily I still lost 2 pounds. Back on strict diet tomorrow, but I still am using Yourshape daily with the above routine. Oh and yes, it makes you sweat, I have never been exhausted after a workout, and felt so good as well.

When we had a fitness bike in the house, I would use it daily 3 days then get fed up, Yourshape is really addictive once you force out your motivation.

RIIIPPER
07-26-2011, 11:48 PM
My problem with the Kinect or any gaming device for losing weight is that I buy it with good intentions but soon get bored of looking at the walls in my house.

However, I would definitely recommend the Kinect over the Wii Fit.

I fully agree. I used to be a gym-rat. 3-5 hours a day, at least 5 days a week. After a couple of accidents, it is physically very hard for me to work out like I used to, but the few times I've played the Kinect exercise "games", I've gotten a pretty good workout. I'll have to see if I can regain my old consistency and try them out.

ANY movement is better than none, whether it be the stairs vs. elevator, or jumping around in front of the TV vs. sitting on the couch. Just stick with it!

bathori
07-27-2011, 02:37 AM
Back when Dance Central came out I played it every day for a month and a half.
Lost 15 pounds.

demaine04
07-27-2011, 08:49 PM
I bought EA Active 2 back when it was Ģ70 (it's now available for Ģ9 - gutted) - I lost interest when the elastic thing snapped due to my rubbish knots, I nearly broke my back.

It's sat gathering dust ever since.

The moral of the story is if you want to lose weight go to the gym - at the gym you don't have to build your own equipment! ;)

CuddlyREDRUM
07-30-2011, 06:43 PM
I use UFC Trainer, but that has a weird freezing bug. Any of these games gets you going, it is fun so much easier to stay active. Jump in.

Muppet May Cry
07-30-2011, 06:49 PM
Good for a heart attack ŽŽ

Last time I played Kinect Adventures. the game throw me 6 jumps and ducks together and broke my knees ŽŽ, I'm not obese or anything, but it got me really tired really fast :P

NismoMF
07-31-2011, 07:12 AM
I found playing Your Shape every day genuinely helped me lose weight. I did find that I only stuck to one of the routines though as nothing else motivated me to play.

Cihan
07-31-2011, 08:58 AM
hahaha; oh cmon, you need games to lose weight?

sphinx6
07-31-2011, 07:46 PM
i have kinect but only have kinect adventures. i've thought i would rather use a treadmill to lose weight (as i am 20kg over) than use kinect because i have more faith in a treadmill that i'm going to achieve losing weight combined with a low carbohydrate diet (that i've been on for months now). after reading all of the posts in this thread, kinect hasn't got much praise for being helpful for losing weight. i'll be looking out for a treadmill i think but getting a weight loss game for my kinect toy is still a possibility.

MxPx
07-31-2011, 08:13 PM
If you want to lose weight, run.

Go outside...run around the block a couple of times until you're out of breath. Then walk until you regain your breath, and begin running again.

Do this like 3-4x a day, you'll be dropping weight in no time. (Not to mention, you'll feel amazing.)

Iced in Chrome
08-02-2011, 12:37 AM
Personally, I love the Kinect as a switch in routine when working out. I play Dance Central to get the whole body moving. Between that,weight lifting, kickboxing, resistance band training and treadmill runs, you'll be shedding pounds and building muscle in no time!

chrisk62
08-02-2011, 02:40 AM
Well if the original question here is 'What Kinect game is good for losing weight?' then i say definetely YOUR SHAPE: FITNESS EVOLVED and THE BIGGEST LOSER. I have not tried it but ive heard DANCE CENTRAL is good for it too ;);)

Blackest Metal
08-04-2011, 11:26 AM
I lost 23lbs last month on Fitness Evolved, I would do the gold/platinum cardio boxing in sets of 4 twice a week

Pyrochaos
08-04-2011, 02:29 PM
If you want to lose weight, run.

Go outside...run around the block a couple of times until you're out of breath. Then walk until you regain your breath, and begin running again.

Do this like 3-4x a day, you'll be dropping weight in no time. (Not to mention, you'll feel amazing.)

Because we like to have fun. Running sucks ass and everyone knows it. Worst sport ever.

HymnDamakos
08-05-2011, 07:25 PM
Whenever me and my friends are drinking, we do two things. One, play Rockband 3. Two, play dance central. Of course, it depends on what kind of shape you're in in the first place, but dance central will definitely give you a work out. Kinect adventures will too, doing all that ducking and jumping, flailing about. Those two definitely give me a work out! Then again, I have some lung issues, so just about anything can get me breathing harder and pumping the blood faster.

HymnDamakos
08-05-2011, 07:27 PM
Because we like to have fun. Running sucks ass and everyone knows it. Worst sport ever.

Agreed. Running sucks, and the sun is bright... And it burns..

shykull
08-10-2011, 06:21 AM
I lost 1kg playing Kinect Sports :) over the pass week

ConfederateSuga
08-10-2011, 07:14 AM
lol I wouldn't dare try doing all that stuff. Weighing 3500lbs, I would probably go into cardiac arrest within 5 minutes haha.

kayko
08-11-2011, 06:52 PM
I play both Dance Central and UFC Trainer, switch between them when get tired from the other.

Arduous Wolf
08-26-2011, 05:11 PM

Tell that to my four stone weight loss during my Dancing Stage addiction.

Maka
08-27-2011, 02:55 PM
I think the moral of the thread is that Kinect can definitely help you lose weight, but it is important to use it wisely, and with other physical activities and a healthy diet.

It's obviously better to play Kinect than sit on the couch, but don't expect results playing for an hour a week, while still eating shit.

silliker
08-29-2011, 03:21 AM
Just a lot of determination would do...

jules the great
08-31-2011, 07:42 PM
Any exercise is good, but what you're eating is more important. If you're still eating crap then exercise isn't going to make much difference.
Yep. This all the way. And the funny thing is if you combine good eating with exercising regularly you WILL see results. I finished all 90 days of the P90X fitness program while eating 5 times a day and I dropped from 195 to 170 at the end of the 90 days. Now the sad thing is that was last year. I havent exercised since and I stopped doing Kinect games altogether and Ive gained it all back. But, just so you know, a lot of days just playing KInect Adventures for an hour self like doing one Plyometrics session of P90X. It will work.

the naughtibear
09-01-2011, 08:18 AM
personally i would say yes as its exercise but the main part of loosing weight is your diet about 80% is down to your diet. and 20 % to the excess you burn off. if your afraid of the gym then i say go for it as doing this is better than nothing.

Any exercise that raises ur heart rate and lowers it is good for you.

purpleinsect
09-01-2011, 09:06 AM
Yes, kinect is awesome for losing weight. If you actually use the kinect. It's a game but it's still excersise.

Rickmassacre
09-01-2011, 09:21 AM
Playing the kinect will not lose you a lot of weight
it will tire you out easily but it is good for a work out.
and warm ups
nothing is going to lose you more weight than your diet.

Bencho
09-01-2011, 06:39 PM
rather than looking which games to play for loosing weight, you should check your diet, go low on carbs

Shaun1515
09-15-2011, 06:31 AM
Nice sharing.
I agree with you that exercise and dieting are very good
for weight loss. You can drop your weight by following both
things.
Thanks.
chino hills boot camp (http://uplandweightloss.wordpress.com/)

MainManMoon
09-18-2011, 05:50 PM
this is the main reason i bought the kinect

StopKillaJ
09-18-2011, 05:59 PM
Zumba. Although you still need a well balanced meal that's good for you.

tjtommytj
09-18-2011, 07:28 PM
Dance Central Definitely gets the heart racing.

RaidenRain7
09-18-2011, 07:43 PM
Your shape i think!

JonathanT32
09-19-2011, 12:02 AM
Is the UFC Trainer worth a buy? I looked at it on youtube, and looks pretty good. Looks like it could burn some calories...

Tobyy
09-20-2011, 04:32 PM
Exercise is the most common and economical way to lose the weight but you can also use the dieting pills and supplements according to your needs and status.

MightyQ
09-21-2011, 05:49 PM
UFC Ultimate Trainer isn't too bad.

chrisk62
09-22-2011, 06:48 AM
Well Your Shape Fitness Evolved has helped me shed over a stone. My girlfriend uses The Biggest Loser game but i don't like the game, it does not seem to register with all of your movements and the menu is just damn annoying :confused:

Fridgeater
09-22-2011, 03:24 PM
I've lost a little wieght since I got the kinect but that will also be down to my new job. It can't hinder losing wieght though can it? I mean I know that the Wii has that your shape thing and thats helped several of my friends.

storm4610
10-01-2011, 12:10 PM
Zumba! Its great fun as well as a really good work out.

And you dont notice the time passing!

DCR3005
10-09-2011, 06:38 PM
UFC is good but you really need to use resistance weights with it

DarkScytheX
10-10-2011, 01:56 AM
UFC and Your Shape work pretty well, for a bit more fun I think Dance Central gives you a great workout too

cjdavies
10-12-2011, 08:07 PM
I have used the Your Shape but find it's aimed at beginners, I will try the UFC as I hear it's harder.

ChaseTheStatus
10-12-2011, 08:51 PM
Zumba! Its great fun as well as a really good work out.
My GF is loving this game atm, she swears it toning her down, im not complaining :woop:

Gingerkev
10-19-2011, 09:44 AM
I don't need to lose any weight (as doc says I am 3 stone under my current weight) but my wife has been trying to lose weight for a while now and just recently she managed to lose 2 stone playing Zumba, Kinect Adventures and a bit of Kinect Sports, So I think if you are wanting to lose weight try the kinect but like with most things you have to be persistent.... (Rome was not built in a day)

sanu
11-05-2011, 08:23 AM
Weight loss in that circumstances so always consider as hunger ,exercise ,weakness and any disease attack so aware all factors.
Kansas City fitness (http://www.jamieplunkettfitness.com/kansas-city-fitness/)

Estrial
11-07-2011, 06:58 PM
I think the kinect overall is just a good way to lose weight.
Sports or adventures the more advanced courses definitely keep me fit!
Yet to try out any of the fitness games =).