PDA

View Full Version : The British Office

ScottieElisabeth
12-20-2010, 05:34 AM
I freakin' love this show. It's crude, and it's not for those that can't take a joke, but it's wonderful. I realize that this show was the original, but in talking about it, I'll translate to the American version for the rest of us U.S.'ers, because unless you watch Adult Swim, you probably haven't seen it.

The humor kills me. The BBC allows the show to get away with things the American version will never be able to. Like the fact that Tim (British Jim) calls Gareth (British Dwight) just to say "cock" and hang up. And the episode with the giant inflatable penis? I don't think I've ever shot so much dr pepper out my nose. Wonderful show.

Favorite parts? Favorite lines? :)

Takamura Bear
12-26-2010, 03:17 AM
Finally, an American that loves and appreciates this comedy classic. Classic British comedy as its finest.

The British version is so superior to the American version, IMO. The US version is good, but nothing compared to the original. If anyone doesn't believe me, I suggest you go and watch this and see for yourself.

As for my favorite parts? So many to choose from, so many cringe-worthy and funny moments that will live with me forever.

Edit: Sorry guys, a lot of these vids have been blocked by the BBC cunts.

YouTube - The Office UK - Pratical Joke Ricky Gervais

YouTube - The Office. David Brent - Blind date (Oh, for fuck's sake). GOOD QUALITY!

YouTube - David Brent Birthday Kiss

YouTube - The Office - Get Out

YouTube - The Office - David Brent and the Oggmonster

YouTube - The Office UK - New Secretary

Probably my favorite part: :D
YouTube - The Office Christmas Party With The Pregenant Woman Not Liking The Smoking

Try this if it doesn't work:

YouTube - The Office UK - Anne gets her comeuppance

Funny bloopers:

YouTube - The Office - Bloopers

YouTube - Rare The Office blooper with Tim and Keith.

ScottieElisabeth
12-26-2010, 07:44 AM
Oh goodness. You just made my night. I was in tears by the third video. I'm pretty sure I was the most ecstatic (in one of those "oh my God, he's really going to stick his tongue to that frozen pole" moments) was when I found the Free Love Freeway video in the special features of the DVD.

"...but none of them was you."
"What, you?"
"No, he's looking at a picture of his girlfriend...the video will explain that."
"Oh. Cause it sounded kind of gay."

<3

MADasaHatter
12-26-2010, 06:08 PM
It's pretty genious. The only reason The Office (both versions) are only great because of their leads. The US Office's first episode was basically ripped from the original but then it started doing its own things. Steve Carrell is great but Gervais has the title of "Worst F'n Boss Ever".

Where Carrell has a softer side that makes Michael at least caring in some aspects, Gervais is a pure a$$hole- 100% proofed.

I've seen the the entire season twice and I tend to watch it whenever I can.

Gareth has some great moments in it, I must admit.
Gareth: "Oggy. Oooogy. Oggy Oggy Oggy."

And there's a vid missing in that lineup of moments.
YouTube - The Office (UK), David Brent, If You Don't Know Me By Now

This was the show that opened me up to some other BBC shows. I suggest following Gervais right into "Extras". I've been dying to see that show again (I've only seen the entire show once. Wouldn't mind catching it again).

YouTube - Sir Ian McKellen, On Acting

ScottieElisabeth
12-26-2010, 08:47 PM
I very much agree. Sometimes I feel bad for Michael, but David? Never. Sheesh. That man is just a douche. ...but so damn funny.
<3

Takamura Bear
12-27-2010, 02:05 AM
So I'm guessing our version is more popular over there than I thought. The show itself was meant to come across as a documentary type of show, so I even forgot that I was watching an actual comedy at times.

I'm just trying to find as many as I can, so here's more golden moments. :D

YouTube - Short & Sweet - The Office [Part 2]

YouTube - The Office (UK) Racist Joke

When David tries to take over staff training, everything goes wrong. The way Gareth takes notes half way through is priceless.

YouTube - The Office - Role Play

The trainer's face at 2:00 minutes in, lol.
YouTube - The Office - David sings

MADasaHatter
12-27-2010, 02:47 AM
^Ah. That was a great ep.

But you can't mention seminar without a David Brent masterpiece.
(cringe meter up to 90)
YouTube - The Office David Brent Motivational Seminar#!

The success of the BBC shows are minimal, left to a small crowd here in the states. It's different styles of comedy. I recall that Ricky and Stephen (Oggy oggy oggy) wrote one episode of the US Office. I can't remember which one though. I just recall it was 30 minutes of good comdey.

Edit: I just found the ep. It's called "The Convict", Season 3 ep 9.

The only other time I think the US Office ever competed with that style of the BBC version though was "Scott's Tots" episode of last season.

Michael promises a college education to a group of inner city kids if they graduate high school and it turns out each one does. So he has to go to the school and tell them that he can't. Brutal but funny.

CyanideSpirit
01-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Great show! I always catch it whenever it comes on adult swim.

Spanish Assault
01-01-2011, 10:28 PM
FYI if you have Netflix it's on the instant que. I love this show. Too bad it's not on anymore.

I;m a huge Office fan here in the US, but I agree the British version is much better.

MADasaHatter
01-20-2011, 01:55 AM
David Brent meets Michael Scott

http://tv.ign.com/articles/114/1144832p1.html

ashleary
01-20-2011, 02:44 PM
Chris Finch: Yeah?
David Brent: Why don't you fuck off?

Win!

Takamura Bear
01-21-2011, 12:31 AM
I tell you what, I will definitely catch that episode with Ricky Gervais making an appearance in the US version. Speaking of Ricky, he upset a lot of celebs for the commemts he made towards them at the Golden Globes Awards 2011.

I thought it was fucking funny and bang on as well. Watch him tear all these poor celebs a new one:

YouTube - Golden Globes Awards 2011 - Ricky Gervais Opening Monologue - http://film-book.com

MelangeAddict
01-21-2011, 04:25 AM
Ricky Gervais at the Golden Globes was just brilliant. I loved what he said about Steve Carrell killing the cash cow for both of them for leaving the show.

MADasaHatter
01-21-2011, 06:15 AM
Ah, thanks for posting that Taka. I missed his monologue. His stuff was awesome.

He said he won't be doing it again, mainly because of the people shitting all over themselves because of the stuff he said.

exo-apollo
01-21-2011, 01:11 PM
Hah yeah The british office is quite funnier but I've always preferred Extras myself. That Ian Mckellan video someone posted before is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Sir Ian, Sir Ian, Sir Ian, Sir Ian, ACTION, WIZARD YOU SHALL NOT PASS, Sir Ian, Sir Ian.

Sorrel
01-21-2011, 05:48 PM
Never been a huge fan of Ricky Gervais, but Extras was very awesome.
I've got the box set of Extras (Not sure how that came into my possesion) and one day I'll sit down and watch the lot, see what I'm missing...

MADasaHatter
01-28-2011, 03:12 AM
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand if you blinked, you missed it.

Brent meets Scott in the opening of The Office. It didn't mean much and if you were too late with the remote, you missed it.

Takamura Bear
01-28-2011, 08:24 PM
Perhaps it's just me, but Ricky didn't really seem like the old David Brent here. A bit dissapointing, but it was only for a minute so you can't really complain much. It's been a long time since he's played the role of David Brent, mind you.

YouTube - The Office - Michael Scott meets David Brent

It also makes me feel that, if they ever did a reunion episode in the future, it just wouldn't be funny as the old ones. Kind of like how Only Fools and Horses turned out.

MADasaHatter
01-28-2011, 09:00 PM
Perhaps it's just me, but Ricky didn't really seem like the old David Brent here. A bit dissapointing, but it was only for a minute so you can't really complain much. It's been a long time since he's played the role of David Brent, mind you.

YouTube - The Office - Michael Scott meets David Brent (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AppVGPVYv4)

It's not just you. I mean- it's David f@#$^ing Brent- a guy that was in front of the camera in his own office setting. He sees a guy with a film crew following him and he doesn't try to drop one of his unruly quotes or bits of wisdom?

Boooooo

Edit:

Or an even better thought on it
From

It's just that these two characters come from such different realities. The original British show depicted a slightly skewed vision of the real world, but it never broke the rules of the documentary style and you could still imagine meeting the characters on the street. Over the course of seven seasons, however, the American remake has become so much more over-the-top in its humor, stretching believability to the breaking point for the sake of laughs. It was like watching Homer Simpson meet Archie Bunker. As much as I would have liked to have seen David physically in the office itself, mixing it up with the entire ensemble in a more extended way, I fear it just wouldn't have worked.

He holds a valuable point and one thatmakes me realize why I liked the British Office better. The fact that those folks could very well be the person you work with and, in fact, one of them was (Brent and my boss at the time were in the running for worst boss ever with Brent barely, barely edging him). The US Office turned into a silly sitcom.

Takamura Bear
01-28-2011, 11:40 PM
He holds a valuable point and one that makes me realize why I liked the British Office better. The fact that those folks could very well be the person you work with and, in fact, one of them was (Brent and my boss at the time were in the running for worst boss ever with Brent barely, barely edging him). The US Office turned into a silly sitcom.

This is exactly how I feel as well, Hatter.

You often forget it's a comedy at times because of its documentary style filming. It painted a perfect image of the 'dull, monday morning, nine-to-five tyoe if job I can't stand', yet made it so engrossing for the viewers. The characters are not sterotyped and you can relate to them.

The UK version provided so much realism, but never too realistic that it became boring or dull. The stuff that it portrayed I can actually imagine happening in an office over here. The moments of utter cringe and embarrassment with David Brent are ingenious.

I have not come across one British comedy in the past 10 years that rivals The Office for pure freaking brilliance and originality. I might have to check out and watch Extras as I've only ever seen one episode and never really got into it for some reason.

Plus, the last episode (xmas special) was pure heart and soul and will never be topped. David telling Finchy to "fuck off", Tim finally getting Dawn in the end...just pure fucking brilliance.

Quite a lot today's British comedies are filled with too many cliches and stereotyped characters that become old too soon. The only one I watch nowadays is Peep Show, which I highly recommend, but the latest season was rubbish compared to the last six seasons.

Shark and Blitz
02-17-2011, 04:28 PM
Hats of to Ricky and Steve for quitting while they were ahead with it, they could of easily made another fantastic series out of it.

Bearded Bugs
02-17-2011, 08:08 PM
Just the other day I finished watching both seasons and the Christmas specials again for about the 15th time or something. It'll always be one of the greatest UK shows ever made.

I do, however, prefer the US version.