PDA

View Full Version : 2007 NHL Reflections (conspiracy?)

DeW222
06-08-2007, 06:24 AM
I'm glad Teemu won it, I'm glad Giguere won it, I'm glad the Niedermayers won it, I wish Kariya was around to win it, I hate that Getzlaf won it, I hate that Pronger won it.

I hate that a southern U.S. team won it for the third year in a row, even if that team has a larger fan base than the Hurricanes and Lightning combined.

I'm beginning to question if there really is a conspiracy pitting Canadian teams vs. South U.S. teams in the Stanley Cup championship ever since Bettman came into power.

Looking at the winners vs losers here:

2007: Anaheim (W) vs. Ottawa (L)
2006: Carolina (W) vs. Edmonton (L)
2005: No season
2004: Tampa Bay (W) vs. Calgary (L)

All three winners are southern American teams trying to grow their fan base. Anaheim has the largest reported fan base, but has lots of room to grow in the So Cal area. All three Canadian markets are as large as they can be. Also, Calgary appearing in a Stanley cup final was the first time it happened since 94', and then somehow Canadian teams appear in the next two finals after having been denied for 9 years. I'll elaborate on this a bit later.

2003: New Jersey (W) vs. Anaheim (L)
2002: Detroit (W) vs. Carolina (L)
2001: Colorado (W) vs. New Jersey (L)
2000: New Jersey (W) vs. Dallas (L)
1999: Dallas (W) vs. Buffalo (L)
1998: Detroit (W) vs. Washington (L)
1997: Detroit (W) vs. Philadelphia (L)
1996: Colorado (W) vs. Florida (L)
1995: New Jersey (W) vs. Detroit (L)
1994: New York (W) vs. Vancouver (L)
1993: Montreal (W) vs. Los Angeles (L)

Between 94' and 03' not a single Canadian team appeared in the Stanley cup championships. Oddly enough, this trend appears only one year after the conference and division format was shaken up. The 94' season was the first year the Western and Eastern conferences formed, replacing the Prince of Wales and Clarence Campbell Conferences, altering how playoffs were seeded.

1993 was the last year a Canadian team brought the cup back to Great White North. Oddly enough, this was the year Gary Bettman became the NHL commissioner, instituting changes (such as the altered conferences). Actually, it's officially stated that the leading reason Gary Bettman was chosen as NHL commissioner was to "make hockey appeal further to many American audiences unfamiliar with the game, and who are traditionally more interested in professional baseball, football and basketball” and “expand into unexploited, lucrative markets in the United States, improve marketing and secure new TV deals” citing CBC.ca

So I really wonder if there isn't anything going on behind the scenes that has these recent match ups occurring. Many people, upon hearing this "conspiracy theory" wonder, "What would the NHL stand to gain from, not necessarily "rigging" playoffs, but "altering"?" The answer is simple. By having a Canadian team, any Canadian team, in the playoffs the NHL is guaranteed no fewer than about 10 million (probably twice that in reality) Canadian viewers via CBC across all of Canada. Now, this may not be the same case for a southern American team. If viewer ship wanted to be maximized in the U.S., the NHL would stand to gain the most if a North East team got in, such as the Rangers. Instead, the NHL sacrifices TV ratings to grow a market in the long run. And where better to grow the market than the largest sports market in the world: the Southern United States.

The Southern U.S. pumps more money into professional (and unprofessional!) sports than anywhere else in the world. NFL, NBA, MLB, Nascar, NCAA, WWF, UFC, PBR, you name it. Any sport that becomes established in the Southern U.S. has a strong backing and gets amazing amounts of funding from viewer ship, sponsorships, ticket sales, advertising, you name it. This is the exact reason itself why Bettman was voted unanimously by the NHL’s Board of Governors. Correction – this is the reason a former NBA executive and lawyer was voted unanimously by the NHL’s Board of Governors.

Now, who knows, maybe the past three Stanley Cup championships are a complete fluke in the match ups. Maybe the lottery was hit, maybe it’s one giant coincidence. But if it happens a fourth year in a row, I’m going to have to join the legions over at http://firebettman.com/. I don’t care which NHL team you back, I don’t care if you agree with this little theory or not, one thing is clear: Bettman is doing nothing but hurting the sport by trying to force the sport into the southern markets, signing loose contracts with major networks (NBC – Sens & Sabres game was cut to Kentucky derby because NBC wouldn’t cover overtime), and even discussing about taking fighting completely out of the game of hockey.

KewlBrettC
06-08-2007, 09:15 AM
to tell u the truth u seem to have too much time on ur hands man and i kinda think ur crazy for thinking there has been some kind of "conspiracy".

CoolioDude
06-08-2007, 12:17 PM
To tell you the truth, I think you know TOO much about hockey. I do agree that Bettman guy should be fired, he's doing a TERRIBLE job as NHL commissioner. I never noticed the past 3 stanley cups, but it is certainly wierd. I never noticed that the Southern U.S. pumps so much money into sports, and goes to hardcore about their pro sports.

I think it was cool you took the time to write all this, even if it means you have to much time on your hands.

Mr Arrow
06-08-2007, 01:49 PM
You seems to forget that Anaheim had a KICK ASS team. Get over it they won, Canada lost.

I have a brother-in-law who believes the NFL is also rigged...let me give you his number, you'll have lots to talk about.

DeW222
06-09-2007, 06:16 AM
First off , I have too much time because I'm recovering from a surgery in which I've been sitting around at my house for four days straight. Want to trade places with me? Secondly, I'm a hockey fan, so hockey's the only sport I care about (except to a lesser degree lacrosse). Do you know how many American nut jobs there are over baseball? I'm pretty sure up until when Boston won the World Series there were a million Red Sox fans that would be able to type out a five page essay on why the Sox are cursed. I'm also positive that there are people out there that can tell you every stat you could think of when it comes to any professional sport. So because I know who won which Stanley cup the past several years I'm crazy? I'm crazy because I think a New York lawyer is capable of putting together a scheme to get rich(er)? Hold the fucking presses! Enron never happened! Take it with a grain of salt then, that's where your own judgment comes in.

"You seems to forget that Anaheim had a KICK ASS team. Get over it they won, Canada lost."

They did have a kick ass team, I never denied that. So did New York, Buffalo, Ottawa, and Detroit this year. So did Carolina, and Tampa Bay in the past. I don't see where I brought up my nationality or that of the cup, or that it was Canada vs. U.S.A. (Or do you know so little of Canada you have to generalize it all?), but apparently belligerence finds me. If you're up in arms in regards to me hating Getzlaf and Pronger, so be it, but I dislike them as players regardless of what they win, or who they play for. It seems you are forgetting (maybe it's the short attention span) that my theory isn't who wins, but what the match up keeps being. It goes beyond "OMG USA PWNS U!" (which is all I read in your post) but that there are economic motives behind it. But if you want to say that Anaheim won simply because they had an amazing team, you're certainly entitled to do so. Any fan would do such, but while you're at it try to explain why Ottawa made it to the final, why Carolina (2) & Edmonton (8) met up, and why Tampa Bay (1) & Calgary (6) met up. All three American teams were seeded 1 or 2, yet the Canadian teams were seeded 8, 6, and 4, defeating the predicted finalist of their division.

O, and because I have "so much time on my hands" I know for a fact that almost 20 of Anaheim's players are Canadian, more so than Ottawa. So I'll take it that Canadian home-grown boys won it for the city that pays the highest amount.

Hoof Hearted25
06-12-2007, 07:30 PM
does anybody think ducks will repeat?

nawtbird
06-13-2007, 02:02 AM
conspiracy.....come on get real

straight fact look at the amount of Canada teams vs US teams......we have better odds also US teams have gotten a lot better, getting big name players etc

2007 - Ducks were statistically a better team
2006 - Edmonton rode emotion(they were a 8th ranked team)

Wolf
06-13-2007, 04:57 PM
I fail to see any real connection with no Canadian champions and conference switch-ups. If they were really the best, it wouldn't matter who they played, would it? Sure Gary Bettman smothered any chances of hockey becoming a mass appeal sport after the last time a major city won it (New York in '94), but it's not his fault that Canadian teams sucked during a ten year stretch. On the subject, though, he should start rigging the playoffs. I think that the Canadiens, Maple Leafs, Rangers, Kings, and Sabres all need to make the playoffs for five or so consecutive years, and have the winners generally be one of them to bring acclaim back to the dying sport. The cities are either important enough or have a rabid enough fan base to certainly give the continent a jolt.

does anybody think ducks will repeat?

You know, I can't think of any logical reason why, but no. I mean, they should repeat. They'll keep their shutdown defense, they'll keep their scorers, and that goalie is too big to go anywhere, but I really just can't see them winning it again. I can't explain why; they should, but they won't.

PerpetualHeaven
06-13-2007, 05:39 PM
You seems to forget that Anaheim had a KICK ASS team. Get over it they won, Canada lost.

I have a brother-in-law who believes the NFL is also rigged...let me give you his number, you'll have lots to talk about.

Ah well, Anaheim only won because their best players are all Canadian anyways (excluding selanne). And the only reason Canadian teams suck is because they don't pay as much as the American teams. Have you seen the Anaheim Roster? Look at these players and they're Canadian:

Corey Perry - Canadian
Ryan Getzlaf - Canadian
Chris Pronger - Canadian
Andy McDonald - Canadian
Scott Niedermayer - Canadian
Jean-Sebastien Giguere - Canadian

Canadians rule the sport but unfortunately not the NHL teams. It's an American dominated world. They have the most money so they will dish it out where they want and of course the players would rather take the loot.

Most Frantic
06-19-2007, 05:41 AM
I don't think it's a conspiracy but I do think it's a large coincidence...

ocelot 212
06-26-2007, 09:14 AM
i think its sad that the sabres didn't go all the way