PDA

View Full Version : I Hate Kinect

JacksonSilex
01-05-2011, 07:28 PM
Or maybe it'd be cool if it ever worked. I spend 90% of my time on the thing waving at the stupid pile of crap because it'll never recognize anything. If it does work I get like 50% through setting up my Kinect ID and it loses me, then wave for 10 minutes... nothing.

The menu options can only be selected at that point by using.. Kinect. Great idea, having trouble just move your non-existent hand over this option. Have to reset the entire system over and over.

This is after rearranging my entire living room so no lights are anywhere near interfering, moving almost every bit of furniture in the place and only to stand and wave for 20 minutes before turning the god damn thing off out of frustration.

Just venting. Any ideas why this thing never works?

RichXbox360
01-05-2011, 07:42 PM
You're just unlucky, I live in a small 1 Bedroom Flat (Americans would call it an Apartment) and Kinect works perfectly for me.

scifi riot
01-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Yea, sounds like you just a bad unit. I would try returning it for a new one. If that doesn't work, maybe the update for your xbox didn't take. just ideas. good luck !

Sn1gaaaZ
01-05-2011, 10:21 PM
Damn, doesn't sound to good. I'll get my ordered Kinect tomorrow and I also have to manage to get some space for Kinect, hope it works. :[ good luck for you!

kaleido42
01-05-2011, 11:01 PM
Having artificial lighting actually helps. The entire room is supposed to be well lit, especially facing the player. The only type of light that microsoft has stated to avoid is natural lighting, such as sunlight. I personally find the tracking terrible, if not impossible, in a dark room. Other than that as long as you are standing within the required area I have no idea what the issue would be.

TopNotched
01-05-2011, 11:29 PM
Works great for me and all my friends, we setup accounts for all my friends and it does facial recognition on all of them. Its totally sweet. Sounds like you have a lemon. You should return it for a new one. If it still doesn't work, then it must be something your wearing.

About waving, even though it picks me up great, the waving for kinect guide is hard to achieve. But i finally figured it out. Keep your elbow stationary and wave your hand back and forth 2 times. It works every time now.

TopNotched
01-05-2011, 11:32 PM
I wanted to add something about the lighting. I have a central ceiling light and its right above my head, however, the kinect works great for me either way. I play it at night when my wife is sleeping in the pitch dark and it works just fine. I have a 42 inch TV and it must give off enough lighting.

Capn Doug
01-05-2011, 11:33 PM
Having artificial lighting actually helps. The entire room is supposed to be well lit, especially facing the player. The only type of light that microsoft has stated to avoid is natural lighting, such as sunlight. I personally find the tracking terrible, if not impossible, in a dark room. Other than that as long as you are standing within the required area I have no idea what the issue would be.

That's fine, most gamers seem to be allergic to natural light.

I had a similar problem from time to time. I find that if I left the room and came back in it corrected itself. Also, if you really need, you can turn on a controller and press the guide button to run Kinect tuner. The more you run Kinect ID, the less you will have this problem, though.

And as Topnotch said, lighting is not as much a factor as you would think. I have a bare lightbulb above my head, the only problem came with facial recognition. I rotated the TV about 10 degrees so it wasn't directly over my head and it was fine.

Neo
01-06-2011, 01:06 AM
Works great for me and all my friends, we setup accounts for all my friends and it does facial recognition on all of them. Its totally sweet. Sounds like you have a lemon. You should return it for a new one. If it still doesn't work, then it must be something your wearing.

About waving, even though it picks me up great, the waving for kinect guide is hard to achieve. But i finally figured it out. Keep your elbow stationary and wave your hand back and forth 2 times. It works every time now.

Took me about an hour to realise that keeping my elbow still was the way to go, really enjoying it now. :woop:

Winkyboy
01-06-2011, 06:32 AM
Chiming in here, too... I'm guessing it's a bum unit as my Kinect has worked wonderfully since day one. Also, regarding light, I have only ever noticed a SLIGHT amount of inaccuracy when playing in "complete" darkness, by which I mean it's totally playable with the lights out.

PurpleSkwid
01-06-2011, 07:55 AM
We had problems with it picking us up, too.
It seems to be sensitive when it comes to natural light coming in at the wrong angle.

Wait until it gets dark outside, then turn on a light in the room you're playing in, and run the Kinect setup.

If it still doesn't work after that, then I'd take it back.

But once it's working fine, Kinect is amazing. :)

ashleary
01-06-2011, 10:08 AM
[QUOTE=Capn Doug;3888062]That's fine, most gamers seem to be allergic to natural light.QUOTE]

hehe I like it.

I've played my kinect at both my parents house (medium sized room) and my house (relativley large room) and both are well either with natural light or artificial from the roof lights.

I've had no problems (touch wood) with kinect so far with it picking up my movement, face recognition, voice commands etc. Games/Dashboard load up quick and as of yet i've no overall complaints with it.

DoctorPolski
01-06-2011, 11:58 AM
The lounge part of my lounge/diner room has about 7 x 10 feet of playspace - perfect for Kinect. Centrally above this is a lighting fitting which basically has 3 lights pointing down/out in a triangle. I turned this so 1 bulb faces straight at the TV/Kinect so the other 2 face players in the "excellent" Kinect multiplayer playspace area. When I play Kinect I twist the ECO bulb facing the TV until it goes off - all light on players and none shining at Kinect. I can tell you this is awesome. I can wave anyway you can think of and Kinect picks it up.

Doing Kinect ID in differing room lighting conditions is good - always choose to add the data stored for Kinect ID and it learns different room/lighting conditions and gets even better. It really is an amazing piece of tech.

@OP Have you gone back to try the basic Kinect Tuner? Maybe it has a weird idea about the shape of your room?

kaleido42
01-06-2011, 02:54 PM
And as Topnotch said, lighting is not as much a factor as you would think. I have a bare lightbulb above my head, the only problem came with facial recognition. I rotated the TV about 10 degrees so it wasn't directly over my head and it was fine.

Again, just personal experience with it and I thought that the OP may have been having similar circumstances. It likely didn't help that I haven't run Kinect ID much in dark lighting (and if they're having trouble getting started, they likely wouldn't have either) and I also have a terrible room setup for it. Even when playing in the single player only area for Kinect Adventures I still have to be careful not to bump into furniture and all of that said furniture is in terrible angles in the room. My play space is pretty well at a 30 degree angle from the tv :p

If I had the ideal setup I likely wouldn't have that issue.

Damian227
01-06-2011, 04:09 PM
It just sounds like you're incredibly unlucky with your unit. My living room isn't particularly well lit but it picks up me, my girlfriend and mates with no issues.

Certain games don't do Kinect any favours though... Kinect Adventures has iffy tracking at times but then Dance Central is flawless. I do find that wearing light clothing seems to help (as my room is quite dark). It'd often not pick up feet movements from black socks on my black carpet... so now I have to Michael Jackson-it with white ones lol

JacksonSilex
01-06-2011, 07:52 PM
Well, another day of shit. It worked for a while yesterday but now it's back to not recognizing anything. I can see myself walk into the picture but then I turn to black. I can see me waving and nothing happens in the tuner.

There's some weird lighting above me that I don't know where the hell it's coming from or why Kinect is picking something up. I might call the ol' Ghost Hunters.

Doesn't seem to matter what I wear, black, white, grey, I just disappear once I'm in the playing area.

I hate this effing thing. Don't even have a receipt for it, got it as a gift at Christmas.

JacksonSilex
01-06-2011, 08:17 PM
Also just tried the calibration with the card. I can see everything perfectly clear, lined up perfect and nothing happens. :(

SoulFate
01-06-2011, 08:34 PM
Bugger. My Kinect is a bit bum on the face recognition, but apart from that games work perfectly

JacksonSilex
01-07-2011, 06:30 PM
We had problems with it picking us up, too.
It seems to be sensitive when it comes to natural light coming in at the wrong angle.

Wait until it gets dark outside, then turn on a light in the room you're playing in, and run the Kinect setup.

If it still doesn't work after that, then I'd take it back.

But once it's working fine, Kinect is amazing. :)

This is pretty much my exact problem now. It works wonderfully at night but during the day it's useless to me, even if I shut all the curtains.

Is it because I ran the initial setup at night when I first got it? If so, how can i adjust this thing so it works when the sun is up because alas, I am not a vampire.

Also this would totally suck in the summer when the sun doesn't go down until 11PM.

DoctorPolski
01-07-2011, 07:14 PM
I don't think doing the initial setup when it's darker would cause this. It would be a disaster if that was the case. Since MS encourage us to set up Kinect ID in a variety of lighting conditions it has to be happy with all those conditions.

Unless you have some freak set up conditions where something is shining right at the sensor during your daylight hours then you must have an issue with your unit. Maybe it is ultrasensitive?

Could you stand a cereal box on different sides of it to see if that helps? That might help to find out where the problem light source is. Might point to a light source you hadn't thought about.

A Pip Boy 3000
01-07-2011, 07:28 PM
This is pretty much my exact problem now. It works wonderfully at night but during the day it's useless to me, even if I shut all the curtains.

Is it because I ran the initial setup at night when I first got it? If so, how can i adjust this thing so it works when the sun is up because alas, I am not a vampire.

Also this would totally suck in the summer when the sun doesn't go down until 11PM.

You could try doing the initial setup in the day?

Princesspea299
01-07-2011, 11:42 PM
sorry to hear about the bad luck my works great with or without light i love the kinect

aggieweather
01-08-2011, 06:05 AM
Yeah sounds like you have a defective unit. Our unit works great for both my wife and I and never has a problem with my 4 year old son.

Optomistic
01-08-2011, 11:04 AM
Have you tried re-calibrating your Kinect? I think you can calibrate several times for different settings?

killroy
01-08-2011, 04:14 PM
Have you tried re-calibrating your Kinect? I think you can calibrate several times for different settings?

i had the same problem at first then i did this and it worked for me. anyone have this problem should re-calibrating kinect:uzi:

Braiiins
01-08-2011, 05:28 PM
It's too bad you're having a bad experience with it. It always recognizes me, the only real complaint that I have (other than netflix not being supported by kinect) is that the games (or at least the 4 or 5 that I have) take FOREVER to get through menus. There should be a way to skip through opening sequences and games shouldn't put in like 4 menus (looking at you joy ride) to get to the actual game.

BobikSdox
01-09-2011, 08:15 AM
Yes, that's pity, my friends have no problems with it and I want to buy it too. A bit later, when price will be lower.

JacksonSilex
01-09-2011, 08:15 PM

The problem is I can't re-calibrate during the day because it can't see me when the sun is up.

Montz
01-09-2011, 08:21 PM
It's because of the converting of your movemets into your Avatar's body. In games like Your Shape: Fitness Evolved, you don't have to worry about that. It actually shows YOUR body, everything you do.

Teh Driver
01-10-2011, 01:41 AM
it doesnt look to interesting to me. more of a hassle and it seems Wii-like. I'd rather just save up for a 3DS but tahst just me :)

makecrack
01-10-2011, 03:04 AM
i didn't have any interest in the kinect until someone i play games with said it worked great. After purchasing without trying or even have seen been played i am very satisfied with the way it works. after getting kinect sports i couldn't have been happier. Would recommend to anyone except people who are afraid to get off of their well-used couches

St Jolly777
01-10-2011, 05:58 PM
It works great! (Takes a little getting used to...but I have had no problems)

Strator
01-11-2011, 03:57 PM
it work great for me :)

scifi riot
01-11-2011, 10:34 PM
You don't necessarily have to have a receipt. If you contact Microsoft or whomever, I'm sure there is a basic warranty for the item. At least 90 days. Give them a call. Maybe they even have some tips. But if nothing else, I'm sure they can tell you where to send it to get a new one.

Lucent Beam
01-11-2011, 11:01 PM
You don't necessarily have to have a receipt. If you contact Microsoft or whomever, I'm sure there is a basic warranty for the item. At least 90 days. Give them a call. Maybe they even have some tips. But if nothing else, I'm sure they can tell you where to send it to get a new one.

Agree.

Call MS if you are having that much of a problem with it.
There must be something wrong with the unit itself.

I do recommend running Kinect ID as many times as possible with as different lighting so it knows you no matter what.

Sorry you're having such a hard time with it. I'm sort of surprised you haven't called customer service already though.

rodgabeatz
01-13-2011, 06:09 AM
I haven't setup the ID yet but mine works fine in my living room during the day with natural lighting. Have yet to try in the bedroom or at night but its extremely responsive to for me unless I stand too far away.

barrykeith
01-15-2011, 01:32 AM
Kinect works great. At first I didn't think I would use it frequently but even as a controller its awesome to have.

Burning Pandama
01-17-2011, 11:03 AM
Or maybe it'd be cool if it ever worked. I spend 90% of my time on the thing waving at the stupid pile of crap because it'll never recognize anything. If it does work I get like 50% through setting up my Kinect ID and it loses me, then wave for 10 minutes... nothing.

The menu options can only be selected at that point by using.. Kinect. Great idea, having trouble just move your non-existent hand over this option. Have to reset the entire system over and over.

This is after rearranging my entire living room so no lights are anywhere near interfering, moving almost every bit of furniture in the place and only to stand and wave for 20 minutes before turning the god damn thing off out of frustration.

Totally agree with this statement

Agree

Wizard2k
01-17-2011, 01:05 PM
I cannot buy kinect, I haven't enough space to play it on my study room :(

TAI JASON
01-17-2011, 01:10 PM
Many people don't understand that Kinect needs a great roomspace to work perfekt. If you don't have it then you got problems over problems. Many friends can't play it because there living rooms are to small.

It has nothing to do with light, high or furniture. If you have 3 Meters (don't know your strange feet thing) distance everything works perfekt.

You can check the sensor with the X button. If you see yor body in there with all points and your movements don't jump out the screen it's perfekt.

End of the story.

coxeh
01-18-2011, 04:29 PM
The problem is I can't re-calibrate during the day because it can't see me when the sun is up.
Your not playing in the dark? or the light is not behind your head? because if this is the case then the kinect will get confused by the light and not be able to detect your properally. You could try putting a lamp facing you by the tv to light up your body? if not then take it back and get a new one. or a refund! the kinect makes me do excersise so its best not to have it! lol!

Lemonlimes249
01-19-2011, 12:07 AM
- make sure no one else is in the cameras range (unless you are doing multi player).
- make sure the kinect is at a good height (3-5 feet off the ground).
- make sure nothing is in front of the kinect like a book or something.
- if those things dont work then try re-calibrating the kinect. sometimes it just needs to be re-calibrated.

hope this helps :)

http://card.mygamercard.net/nxe/lemonlimes249.png (http://profile.mygamercard.net/lemonlimes249)

CactusUK
01-24-2011, 01:24 AM
It's not bad so far the titles WILL get better. I wish I had more space in my living room though.

WhoStoleMyKiwis
01-24-2011, 02:18 AM
That's too bad that your Kinect does acts that way. With mine I try to leave on as much light as I possibly can muster around me. Then I make sure its at a properly elevated yet "Flat" surface at the very same time, something stable. Perhaps you can try to return the Kinect and get a new one? :(

mengzor
01-24-2011, 05:03 PM
and the kinect hates you

Arrhythmia
01-25-2011, 01:43 AM
Only problems I've encountered with the Kinect is the face recognition. I've only ran Kinect I.D. once, but they suggest doing it at least 3 times (morning, afternoon, and night). When I play Kinect Adventures it will always sign my account in and out because of it. Other than that it seems to be working fine with games and picking up my movements. Also, the more light I have the better it works for me.

watchmefly420
01-26-2011, 10:28 PM

This is true, I personally had to place a lamp behind my tv to shed light on my face, in order for kinect id to work at all. Any light behind you can also throw things off. I'd try some light from the front first before taking it in for a replacement.

Foxxy kyle
03-18-2011, 12:09 AM
Kinect works great for me and I love it!

JeJans
03-18-2011, 09:47 AM
I haven“t got any problem what so ever with my kinect

Ivanich E Ringpiece
03-24-2011, 06:19 PM
I too live in a flat, but with 4 dogs and a teenager and a wifey...
I made sure I calibrated the thing correctly by doing it twice..
No problems here even if the dogs walk infront of me...

my_box_72
03-25-2011, 08:56 PM

HUH hate is a strong word maybe you dislike atm cause of the kinect not responding to your movements ...here the thing you definately need space or improvise like how I did to get to work 100% in my bedroom wich space though would be a issue but wasn't .....

When your waving your hand ....make sure it's detecting your hands in small box on the bottom of the screen ( your hands should be glowing when the kinect detects you) if the set-up where you have it is going to cause problems find a room where it will be less dangerous of you hitting anything and getting hurt in the process ..

Good luck with you whole process and venting is cool mate ;)

PauLov3r Z
04-04-2011, 02:10 PM
it works well! the only thing, you need a lot of space to move around.
once playing soccer on kinect sports with my bud i kicked him so hard i kinda made him cry. SICE MATTERS!

CJHacker00
04-04-2011, 03:42 PM
Agreed, you do need a lot of space. We have 3 kids, ages 2, 4 and 6. The 4 and 6 year old play games on it all the time without trouble, but they have to stand back a good 10 feet for it to recognize them. This is just fine in our living room though, and it allows our 2 year old to run around in front of them and pretend he's playing without messing up their game.

Snowwwwy
04-05-2011, 01:08 AM
Everyones entitled to their own opinon. Me, personally, have only played it a few times and Im already bored of it.

jakemason101
04-07-2011, 07:44 PM
Took ages to get my room layout right, once I did though it was great!

judge114
04-12-2011, 07:45 PM
I think your just a bit unliucky with how you move, however I totally agree that it takes the ££$%@ that you need the rearrange the entire room to use it!