PDA

View Full Version : Play "World Of Warcraft" Using Kinect

Aerobooy
01-06-2011, 09:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_en_M4eP-XU
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_en_M4eP-XU)

Microsoft Kinect allows you to maneuver your character and navigate compatible games simply by using hand gestures and body movements -- at least that's how Microsoft intended it to be. Researcher Evan Suma and his team at University of Southern California, have found a way to use Kinect is a somewhat unusual way. OpenNI, hacked programs (FAAST), and some tech voodoo, have allowed this team of masterminds to plug in Kinect to their computer's USB port, and use it to play World of Warcraft. The software translates real-world gestures into in-game commands that allows for the player to level-grind with their fists.

Sn1gaaaZ
01-06-2011, 10:45 PM
I find the idea itself pretty cool but as the video shows it's just possibile for simple commands like for level-grinding (He used at least just ~5 commands regulary). When I remember my WoW times with 40 people raids over 6+ hours in one piece or even PvP battlegrounds I see no way to do those with Kinect / motion controls.
Especially for RPG's I'd like to play them on keyboard or controller as usual. Sports-, Fitness-, some Action-games are definetly worth to play on Kinect, you can do something for your body without just sitting around but I see no future for RPG's, especially not for those like WoW where you often have to make more commands in a few seconds.

Aerobooy
01-06-2011, 11:26 PM
Yeah its awsome :=)

zacchief118
01-07-2011, 02:04 AM
If this happens i'm getting it. Just remember there could be an argument if fable made one for kinect.

GameShad0w
01-10-2011, 08:00 AM
If this happens i'm getting it. Just remember there could be an argument if fable made one for kinect. i thought fable were planning on using some kinect for fable 3

ashleary
01-10-2011, 10:05 AM
I've never played the Online RPG games such as W.O.W, nor am I likely to - its just not my thing, but from what I've heard/seen, don't the sessions go on quite a long time? My average time playing on Kinect is about 30 mins with my housemates. Fair enough sometimes if we have some mates round we'll play it for an hour or so but thats between 6-8 people.

I can't imagine standing around for 3-4 hours at a time waving your arms around pretty much constantly is going to be much fun.

Another thing that cause issues is Kinects motion sensing. While I agree that it is very very good at picking up movement, it is a little clunky i.e you can't just point straight at the button you want to select. I find myself tracking my hand/icon/cursor on screen and then moving it to where I want it to go. Someone who needs to select multiple buttons quickly and in quick succession on a game such as WOW will find this quickly annoying when compared to using a keyboard and mouse.

On the otherside of the coin, there is a lot of scope to make something that is pretty special. If they were to write a game like WOW specifically for Kinect, not just a port of the PC version, it could be a success. I'm not going to pretend I know a lot about this game for instance the way you move your arms could indicate which weapon you use - ie a throwing motion from the hip casts a spell, pulling your hand from behind your back draws your sword etc.

I think with the mass appeal of WOW there will probably be some kind of xbox/kinect interaction at some point and considering how much revenue it garners, they've got plenty of money to throw at developing. If they do it right, it'll be good, unfortunatley it has the potential to be bad.

PS, one other thing to consider - you gotta pay to play WOW online with the PC, could this be the first xbox game to require an extra subscription alongside XBL?
(i'm not even going to get started on this one :D)

EmagDrolBot
01-10-2011, 01:27 PM
PS, one other thing to consider - you gotta pay to play WOW online with the PC, could this be the first xbox game to require an extra subscription alongside XBL?
(i'm not even going to get started on this one :D)

A little OT, but Final Fantasy XI already has that. Although you can play with silver too.

ashleary
01-10-2011, 01:54 PM
A little OT, but Final Fantasy XI already has that. Although you can play with silver too.

Yeah sorry about that, was a little off thought I had just before I hit post. So with FF you can pay to play online just with a silver account? Good idea!

coxeh
01-18-2011, 04:33 PM
This is a crazy idea, But i hate WoW it sucked up my life for 3 years so i distest this game now, I think it would be incredible to be able to incorporate this tech into the game... wonder if your character would be fat if u were fat playing this game?