PDA

View Full Version : 9-4 Top Hat Challenge

Stifler4Life
01-07-2011, 11:51 PM
Okay, I honestly need some assistance here. This challenge is the death of me, I'm having so many problems with getting enough points for "Gold". Can anyone give me some insight on an easy tactic for it? Thanks.

lifeexpectancy
01-08-2011, 10:39 AM
The key for these top hat challenges in episode 9 and 10 is patience at the beginning. Watch the bears' pathing and wait until they are all or almost all in the same area so that when you set your first trap, ALL the bears around see the trapped bear and raise your combo to 100 right away. Then grab a combo freeze real quick and duck into the bushes. Once a bear starts "helping" his buddy run up and either scare or kill him, then scare the trapped bear and Rt ultra kill it. If done correctly with lots of bears watching, you can get hunreds of thousands of points right off the bat.

After that grab the trap quickly and duck around a corner and look for the largest group of bears to set another trap amongst. Once a bear triggers it, grab another combo freeze and switch weapons with one lying on the ground. Your points decrease for successive ultra kills with the same weapon so you have to change it up. Also some weapons have more points for an ultra kill than others as far as I can tell so learn which ones are best and place them nearby the area you're going to do your initial attackfor easy access between kills. The key is setting up the first attack.

When switching areas, if you've managed to keep a 50+ combo and have a combo freeze left in the current area, grab it and rush to the second area without destroying any of the "optional" stuff like chests. Having a high combo ready to go and frozen when entering the 2nd/3rd/4th areas of a level will allow you to instantly trap/scare/ultra kill the nearest bear in a large group for quick points before figuring out how you're going to maximize points for the rest of that area.

If you have episode 10 but deleted it, redownload it and use the vampire bear. I used the vampiricorn for all but 1 challenge in chapter 9. Then I just deleted my chapter 10 DLC, re-cleared the cache on my hard drive, and restarted the game to get my last gold on an easy challenge (killer) with a weaker bear. If you've already got golds on all challenges don't worry. Just use the vampiricorn for the top hat challenge and if the achieve doesn't unlock simply follow the above steps by deleting chapter 10, clearing cache, and starting up game again. Replay an easy challenge for gold and the achievement will unlock.

If you're having too much trouble with 9's top hat challenge you're really going to hate 10's top hat challenge. It took me an hour one day and 3 hours today of repeated attempts before I finally got the one gold. On a positive not I made it into the top 5 on the leaderboards for my score on it. :)

Good luck!

Stifler4Life
01-08-2011, 03:44 PM
I'll try this in a bit! Thanks man, I think part of my problem was that I kept losing my combo by going after the chests.

EDIT: I finally got it thanks to your tips man! Now I just need the Vampiricorn done with....and by the looks of it, I have my work cut out for me.

lifeexpectancy
01-09-2011, 02:45 AM
Congratz man, glad I could be of assistance :)