PDA

View Full Version : Best headwear that allows glasses?

BlackDragon
01-08-2011, 07:28 AM
An obvious question, perhaps... my character's got the Four-Eyes trait, which means I need to wear glasses, or lose 2 Perception. And since I plan to side with the Legion, I'll have the Lucky Shades, with a handy +1 Luck on top of that. Wearing a full-face helmet - which includes all types of Powered Armor helmets - prevents you from wearing glasses. As does numerous other types of helmet.

So, my question is, which is the best helmet you can use, while wearing glasses at the same time?

SteamboatWi11y
01-08-2011, 07:34 AM
If you mean armor-wise, I dont know. But 1st recon beret from boone is pretty good and allows glasses. Maybe a motorcycle helmet or combat helmet (i think you can buy this at the gun runners) might allow for glasses.

Ethereal235
01-08-2011, 01:33 PM
Boone's 1st recon beret gives +5% to critical hit chance, so it's generally worth it, even though the DT is 0. That's what I'd go with. I'm kind of sad that I can't get the Lucky Shades any other way. I use that hat anyways, and +1 luck would be nice.

isp 1992
01-08-2011, 01:35 PM
wear hat.
you can't wear any helmet while putting on glasses.

tiptup
01-08-2011, 02:01 PM
wear hat.
you can't wear any helmet while putting on glasses.

yes you can, you can wear a combat helmet and glasses plus there's a few other helmets you can wear glasses with. can't remember at the mo what helmet i had on before i found the combat 1 but i was wearing glasses with that too.
not sure about full face helmets tho, they might not let you wear glasses but i don't wear them types

BlackDragon
01-08-2011, 02:16 PM
Well, before getting the 1st Recon Beret, I was using one of those NCR Uniform helmets - Trooper Helmets, they're called. It's only a DT of 2, but it's better than a bare head. (Amusingly, you can also use the highly-similar Goggle Helmet along with glasses, which will cause you to wear glasses on top of your goggles.)

theo
01-08-2011, 02:45 PM
The four-eyes trait is really poor.
- Consider the consequences for perks. The perk actually LOWERS your natural Perception.
- Consider Ed-E who is available quite early in the game. Not only does he improve your radar. He also gives an audio-warning if enemies are close by.

On the other hand the self-imposed penalty might add some more challenge to the game. And maybe the redundancy in perception gives you a safe feeling.

Did you know you can decline to choose a trait.

BlackDragon
01-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Ya, if I'd known about the way the trait worked when I started, I wouldn't have chosen it. I assumed that the game used your 'real' Perception for calculating Perk access, rather than just giving you a basic -1 Perception and making it so all glasses give +2... talk about lazy programming.

I imagine I chose it for the same reason many others did - roleplaying value. I'm a four-eyes in real life, after all. :p

Anyway, I've thrawled the Wiki a bit, and it seems like the highest DT helmet you can use with glasses is, likely, the basic Combat Helmet, with a DT of 3. All the 'advanced' Combat Helmets come with goggles, most probably negating glasses. So the 1st Recon Beret is still better, I'd say - +1 Per and +5% Critical Chance is more useful than 3 DT.

I wonder if there's other useful hats... I'd go for the Enclave Officer's hat, since I'm Energy-Weapons based, but you can only get that one in the last battle, so blah. :p

EDIT: I just noticed - the Centurion Helmet doesn't come with an eyepiece. It MAY be glasses-compatible. And I can find one in the same place as the Lucky Shades. How convenient...

theo
01-08-2011, 04:11 PM
All the 'advanced' Combat Helmets come with goggles, most probably negating glasses.

According to the wiki pages: Ballcap with Glasses (http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Ballcap_with_Glasses) and Biker Goggles (http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Biker_Goggles_%28Fallout:_New_Vegas%29) are not affected by this perk.
I think it's safe to assume this perk works with glasses and not with helmets. And I think a helmet with goggles is still a helmet.

Guess you can confirm this in a little while?