PDA

View Full Version : SPOILER why do you think...

Fusirion
01-09-2011, 11:07 PM
Monkey demanded to put the headband back on?

I get it that he wanted to stay there but I thought it gave him headaches and he would just stay there anyway if he didn't have it.

The only reason I can think of is he needs the extras it give?
- intercom with Trip
- scanning options of the dragonfly
- interface HUD?

Or am I missing something here?

oDrPepper
01-09-2011, 11:22 PM
My interpretation was that if he had the headband on, no matter how bad the situation got he'd devote himself 100% to saving Trip. It's basic survival instinct to save yourself before anybody else, having the headband on gets rid of that.

RadiantViper
01-10-2011, 12:11 PM
I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be an emotional decision, not practicality based one. The poster above me explained it pretty well. He's trying to say that he'll be there to protect her, keeping the headband on is a way of signifying that.

F Swan
01-12-2011, 01:08 AM
I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be an emotional decision, not practicality based one. The poster above me explained it pretty well. He's trying to say that he'll be there to protect her, keeping the headband on is a way of signifying that.

This is exactly what I thought.
Loved this game and the story.

Yaymez
01-13-2011, 03:34 AM
Monkey is whats known as a 'Feral'. He has no real name, he grew up in the wilds and only ever looked out for himself. His entire life has been spent on the move and he has survived on being a loner/drifter.

This is the reason why his character is built the way it is & why he gets especially cranky when Trip puts the headband on. He fully intended to rip her head off as he put it. Both characters had missions of necessity.Hers was to get home safely, his was to get the headband off.

During the campfire scene just before they arrive at her community in the mountains she shyly suggests that there would be a place for him, she would just need to smooth things over with her father. Monkey has no interest. He firmly intends to drift off as he always had done.

The thing to remember here, is that up until he tells her to switch the headband back on he hadn't realised truly what Trip meant to him. But because he has spent his entire existence wandering and driftng, the only garuantee that he would stay would be if he was still enslaved by it and her.

maur1c1o
01-20-2011, 11:32 AM
Personaly i felt he wanted the headband on because of the advantage in battle it gave him he new without it it would be harder to defeat some enemies like the dog and rhino's that what i got from it but we all dont really know as the story didnt really give us much but i sure hope the second will be good as i really enjoyed the game despite the shitty orb achievement

Yaymez
01-21-2011, 01:59 AM
The headband didn't give him any tactical advantage over any of the larger robots.

Trip scanned the dog in the old theatre while it was crushed under the light fixture. This is what gave the advantage. Her scan showed Monkey where it's weakspots were.

Monkey took care of the rest with his energy staff & cloud. Which he had long before the headband was attached.

The only thing the headband improved with Monkey was that it allowed him to see through the dragonfly when it flew recon and later on could allow trip to heal him remotely.

There is definitely speculation over why he wanted the headband left on. But considering the scene that revolved around him making the decision, i think we can rule out 'tactical/combat advantage' as a possibility.

Gamma
01-21-2011, 06:00 AM
He definitely didn't ask for it to be left on because of tactical advantage. You can hear it in his voice that he wants it left on because of how much he now cares for Trip. The headband's link between them allows him to know if she needs help, and where she is at all times.

DarkReign2021
01-23-2011, 02:51 AM
He definitely didn't ask for it to be left on because of tactical advantage. You can hear it in his voice that he wants it left on because of how much he now cares for Trip. The headband's link between them allows him to know if she needs help, and where she is at all times.

There are multiple possibilities as to why he wanted to keep it (besides the tactical advantage. That was just Ninja Theories way of being able to keep the HUD a little while longer.)

As has been said, he does it because he cares and fears he'll drift away should it be removed. I believe half of that myself. I have no doubt he cared about Trip. That's obvious, but I don't believe he would stray away from her even without it on.

I don't believe he kept it on for his own benefit, but rather hers. She's obviously weary and exhausted by this point in the game having gone through everything she's experienced. With events coming to a close the guilt of enslaving somebody, doing the very thing that somebody attempted to do to her and the people of her village, was eating away at her. She set him free to ease that guilt and to give him a chance to escape the final fight. A fight that was her own business and had nothing to do with him directly. He shouldn't be expected to die because she wants revenge.

She frees him and gives him the option to turn and escape before it's too late, but he's come to care enough about her that he's not willing to run no matter what happens. He tells her to turn the headband back on as a way of gaining her trust and to show how far he's come in their journey. Gone from threatening to rip her head off to caring about and even possibly being in love with her. And by gaining her trust she's alleviated of her guilt knowing that Monkey stays and remains under the headbands restraints of his own accord.

My other theory, which the Epilogue really alludes toward, is that he keeps the headband because of the memories. As the game progresses it becomes apparent that he's growing addicted to the memories. Each cutscene-based memory he becomes more intrigued and more determined to obtain them, even once stopping dead in his tracks and lunging at one like some kind of drug. This theory is even more supported by the final scene where he dons the mask and becomes entranced by the memories he's witnessing. Monkey, the wild rogue that cares for himself only, is trapped by the beauty of these memories so much that Trip is forced to kill the old man just to bring him back. When the headband shut off, he gave off the impression that he was scared, quite possibly because he knew he would lose those memories without it. He was scared because he was losing his drug.

F Swan
01-26-2011, 12:43 AM
I don't believe he kept it on for his own benefit, but rather hers. She's obviously weary and exhausted by this point in the game having gone through everything she's experienced. With events coming to a close the guilt of enslaving somebody, doing the very thing that somebody attempted to do to her and the people of her village, was eating away at her. She set him free to ease that guilt and to give him a chance to escape the final fight. A fight that was her own business and had nothing to do with him directly. He shouldn't be expected to die because she wants revenge.

She frees him and gives him the option to turn and escape before it's too late, but he's come to care enough about her that he's not willing to run no matter what happens. He tells her to turn the headband back on as a way of gaining her trust and to show how far he's come in their journey. Gone from threatening to rip her head off to caring about and even possibly being in love with her. And by gaining her trust she's alleviated of her guilt knowing that Monkey stays and remains under the headbands restraints of his own accord.

To me, this excellently sums it up.

BOSS OF BOSSES
01-26-2011, 09:43 PM
this could be one of the worst most useless and boring games ive ever played....epic fail

Tropan
01-30-2011, 10:09 AM
To me, this excellently sums it up.
Same, A defining choice in his new approach to life.