PDA

View Full Version : A game too far?

B1RCH0 46
01-11-2011, 01:07 AM
I personally thoroughly enjoyed the old lego star wars games but is this a going to be a game too far? Do you think it will kill the series?

bLaKgRaVy
01-11-2011, 10:43 PM
I personally thoroughly enjoyed the old lego star wars games but is this a going to be a game too far? Do you think it will kill the series?

Even if its "a game too far," Lego games are still profitable for TT and Lucasarts/WB/Disney.

These are the numbers sold for the 360:
Lego Star Wars II - .9 million
Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga - 1.73 million
Lego Indiana Jones - 3.61 million
Lego Indiana Jones 2 - .61 million
Lego Batman - 2.71 million
Lego Harry Potter - .63 million

That's a little over 10 million units sold so far, and that's just on the 360. More than double that for all other platforms (PS3, PS2, DS, Wii, PC) and you're looking at at least 25 million units sold worldwide on all platforms.

At $50 a pop, that's a half billion dollars for just the 360 games. Total is at least $1.2 Billion for all the platforms combined. Kill the series? I think not.

Even between development time, advertising and packaging, they're still making a healthy profit.

<source: http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/browse.php?name=lego>

Snow Camo Kid
01-12-2011, 11:09 AM
I dont think it will. Im a star wars fan, and havin not seen the Clone Wars, wouldnt mind knowin what happens without puttin myself through the torture that is post-R.O.T.J Star Wars

bLaKgRaVy
01-12-2011, 06:32 PM
The Clone Wars animated series has some good episodes. Definitely written a lot better than the prequels, and better acting ;)

I'm sure that this will be an original story, like the Republic Heroes game was. I'm just looking forward to a new Lego Star Wars game. :)

TsC_Xanatos
01-14-2011, 07:18 PM
Eh, I may bite my tongue for saying this, but for people who aren't Star Wars fans I'd say this is nearing "a game too far" as you said. How many games can you make with simple/identical mechanics and have people that aren't attached to the series for some other reason still buy it? Although I'll get it, so I may just be talking nonsense, but I am a huge Star Wars fan and have yet to play a Star Wars game I DIDN'T like. :woop: I must admit though, personally I hope it does well. I wouldn't mind getting another. Just hope there's no Lego Star Wars IV: The Force Unleashed. ;) And then Lego Star Wars V: Expanded Universe would come out. Then Lego Star Wars VI: Expanded Universe 2. It could honestly go on forever. Let's just hope it doesn't. :p

Off Topic: How WAS Republic Heroes? Worth a snag? One of the only Star Wars games I've never played, alongside some Star Wars PSP game. :woop:

bLaKgRaVy
01-19-2011, 04:18 PM
Eh, I may bite my tongue for saying this, but for people who aren't Star Wars fans I'd say this is nearing "a game too far" as you said. How many games can you make with simple/identical mechanics and have people that aren't attached to the series for some other reason still buy it? Although I'll get it, so I may just be talking nonsense, but I am a huge Star Wars fan and have yet to play a Star Wars game I DIDN'T like. :woop: I must admit though, personally I hope it does well. I wouldn't mind getting another. Just hope there's no Lego Star Wars IV: The Force Unleashed. ;) And then Lego Star Wars V: Expanded Universe would come out. Then Lego Star Wars VI: Expanded Universe 2. It could honestly go on forever. Let's just hope it doesn't. :p

Off Topic: How WAS Republic Heroes? Worth a snag? One of the only Star Wars games I've never played, alongside some Star Wars PSP game. :woop:

"How many games can you make with simple/identical mechanics and have people that aren't attached to the series for some other reason still buy it?"

CoD, Halo, Gears, any EA sports game... Yea, there are a few changes here and there with each new release, but the core gameplay mechanics are still the same for each and every game. Yea, the Lego games are generally the same, too, but it's familiar, fun (for a while), and semi-easy achievements. And I like the humor. :)

I started playing Republic Heroes and got about a third of the way through the game. I just need to get back to it. None of the achievements are too grinding. It's good for what it's worth. If you can find it for cheap, I say give it a go. I think there are eBay auctions for like $12-15.

Jedi sy
03-11-2011, 12:28 PM
"How many games can you make with simple/identical mechanics and have people that aren't attached to the series for some other reason still buy it?"

CoD, Halo, Gears, any EA sports game... Yea, there are a few changes here and there with each new release, but the core gameplay mechanics are still the same for each and every game. Yea, the Lego games are generally the same, too, but it's familiar, fun (for a while), and semi-easy achievements. And I like the humor.

I started playing Republic Heroes and got about a third of the way through the game. I just need to get back to it. None of the achievements are too grinding. It's good for what it's worth. If you can find it for cheap, I say give it a go. I think there are eBay auctions for like $12-15.

Spot on. This has got me re interested in lego star wars, not put me off.

JK FALCO
03-15-2011, 08:14 AM
Republic Heroes was a much easier 1000gs then any of the LEGO games IMO. I actually really enjoyed it, I think playing it split-screen with my friend helped. I know alot of people raged at the jump mechanics, but I didn't think it was too bad.