PDA

View Full Version : The Cape Discussion

ApochWeiss
01-11-2011, 11:13 AM
So, I just watched the pilot and episode 2 of The Cape on hulu, and I gotta admit that I am enjoying it so far. It's not another Heroes, but it's basically a drama tv series that gives off a Darkman primetime tv feel. I'm also noticing plenty of Marvel Comics references with the characters. Scab comes off like Tombstone, and the villain of the 2nd episode, Cain, greatly reminds me of Kraven the Hunter (also looks like him too). The circus characters that work with "The Cape" remind me of a group of circus characters I read about in a Marvel comic as well but can't remember the name.

Anyone notice any similarities in it to other stuff? I'm sure there's many DC references in there too that I didn't pick up on (not a DC fan, Marvel all the way :D), or just what do you think about this show? I don't think it's a suitable Heroes replacement, but so far it's still pretty good. Not liking how it tries too hard to be dark and a tear jerking drama at times.

THUGGEDOUT
01-11-2011, 01:24 PM
Only watched the first episode so far, it's been a little hit & miss at the moment. Cast seems pretty good, glad to see Keith David & Summer Glau are in it. Well probably watch the rest of the pilot tonight. Found it odd that when he disappears, his cape stayed behind a couple of times?

JAW LV
01-11-2011, 07:21 PM
I didn't like the first/pilot episode at all: horrible acting, predictable story line and weak action scenes. Every time there is a scene with the mom & son acting sad and lonely I feel as if I'm watching some corny Hallmark movie on ABC family lol.

I'm a huge comic fan so I'm going to give the series one more shot and watch it next week. I hope my opinion changes for the better, but at this point I don't have high hopes. My only good opinion thus far: I thought Cain was pretty cool :rock

ApochWeiss
01-12-2011, 09:27 AM
I didn't like the first/pilot episode at all: horrible acting, predictable story line and weak action scenes. Every time there is a scene with the mom & son acting sad and lonely I feel as if I'm watching some corny Hallmark movie on ABC family lol.

I'm a huge comic fan so I'm going to give the series one more shot and watch it next week. I hope my opinion changes for the better, but at this point I don't have high hopes. My only good opinion thus far: I thought Cain was pretty cool :rock

Episode 2 is far better. I greatly enjoyed Cain personally, I thought he was the perfect kind of serial killer that didn't follow the typical super villain in a cape and mask concept. That was the only thing I hated about Chess in the first episode. The mask. But, I dunno, to me it seemed rather Noir the way he was dressed and would act.

The action scenes leave a little more to be desired though, I admit that, even on the second episode. But the pilot is meant mostly to establish the characters. They just really dug the whole sorrow of losing the father/husband thing a bit too far. And yeah when he left the cape behind, he was kinda new so it seemed to happen. I don't remember it happening again in the second episode at all though. But then again most of the episode he doesn't have the cape to begin with for it to be left behind.

I dunno, I greatly enjoyed it for what it is. I'm sure that after a few episodes, and more characters are established (this is a drama after all, character establishments usually take a full season for it to be complete) the show will be far more enjoyable in the long run.

MADasaHatter
01-12-2011, 04:17 PM
I thought it was pretty horrible.

The show's going to need some major retooling to stay alive or else it won't make it passed April.

gazmaster1
01-13-2011, 10:00 PM
plain and simple this sucks, was looking forward to it aswell, shame

SynysterChris
01-14-2011, 07:17 AM
A lot of negative review, I was thinking about giving this a go, but now I'm not so sure. Though I figure that I will at least give it a shot for the first episode.

MopFlop
01-14-2011, 05:22 PM
A lot of negative review, I was thinking about giving this a go, but now I'm not so sure. Though I figure that I will at least give it a shot for the first episode.
I was thinking along the same lines. Looked like it had loads of potential but will wait for a fwe more episodes and see what happens with it

JAW LV
01-18-2011, 07:55 PM
Well I watched the 2nd episode and still didn't like it, just not my cup of tea. I was really looking forward to this show so I'm really disapointed that I won't be watching it any longer.

XxBlueSpade2xX
01-18-2011, 09:41 PM
Shit... I watched the first episode and thought, "well, this is the pilot. They've developed a decent base". After reading the comments on here, I'm not sure I'm only going to watch the second episode because it was free on ITunes.

BTW, anyone who hasn't seen it. It's free on ITunes.

Fueled By RC
01-20-2011, 07:08 PM
It felt like more of a "recap" show. The pilot felt like a "previously on" show. Every ten minutes something new was happening with no back story or anything.

They should've taken atleast 3-4 episodes creating "The Cape" and how they ruined his life and that the city is falling apart. Build him up as a hero instead of just throwing it in there.

I watched the 2 hours premiere and never went back. Usually I give shows atleast 4 episodes before I decide. But not this, reminds me of "Bionic Woman" and wont last the season.

ToeFurB
01-21-2011, 10:01 AM
I am a huge TV buff and was looking forward to this show. Now I usually give a new show three episodes before I give it my personal pass or fail judgement. However, The Cape changed that. I watched the first episode and half of the second and had to just walk away, not just turn it off, but completely walk out of the room. There was nothing about this show that interested me. And I'm sorry but, "The Carnival of Criminals." Eck. I highly doubt I'll be watching this show ever again.

shudderWINGS
01-30-2011, 08:25 PM
I don't think it's absolutely horrible, but I doubt it will develop any type of a fanbase whatsoever. Devoted comic book fans will find too many similarities to other superheroes and tune out while others refuse to watch because he IS a superhero.

If it survives longer than this half season, I'd be completely surprised.

SynysterChris
02-03-2011, 05:33 AM
The show just lacks depth in any way, its like they just jump from one scene to the next with no real time purpose. The carnival is kinda lame, though I think I wouldn't mind it as much if it didn't remind me of Heroes season 4 with the carnival. The mother and son actors are horrible though.

I think the show could be better if he would just start doing something. Plus the whole Orville thing is getting annoying you know she is hiding some sort of connection with Flemming. I'm guessing that she is his daughter, though I'm guessing that's probably too predictable.

I like the show but if it ends, I'm not going to miss it or anything.

shudderWINGS
02-20-2011, 03:23 AM
I don't think it's absolutely horrible, but I doubt it will develop any type of a fanbase whatsoever. Devoted comic book fans will find too many similarities to other superheroes and tune out while others refuse to watch because he IS a superhero.

If it survives longer than this half season, I'd be completely surprised.

Shocking that it's getting the axe! Oh wait, no, it's not surprising at all.

Turned into a real dud.

LeGrimmReaper13
02-23-2011, 01:20 AM
I've liked it so far...
guess that makes me a minority... (first time in my life :p )