PDA

View Full Version : My theory on the remaining unannounced characters

Ceejus
01-11-2011, 03:39 PM
So far, there's 20 characters confirmed, all of which were from Mortal Kombats 1 - 3 (the classics). There's a total of 26 confirmed for the final release. If the leaked audio files are to be believed, then Kabal, Noob Saibot, Smoke, and Stryker will be 4 of those 6, leaving the following classic fighters:

Baraka
Chameleon
Khameleon
Kintaro
Liu Kang
Motaro
Rain
Sheeva

Considering the only three left from Mortal Kombat 2 are Baraka, Liu Kang, and Kintaro, my guess is that the remaining two characters would be the regular playable ones out of those three: Baraka and Liu Kang. I would imagine this goes without saying. Liu Kang is a "flagship" character in the classic series, and considering the new game coming out is an "alternate reality" version of the past events, it would make sense that Liu Kang would still be living.

There's also two DLC slots in screenshots of the current character screen. If you ask me, it would only make sense to throw in Rain and Sheeva at that point for the sake of completing the roster and thus, having every regular playable character from Mortal Kombats 1, 2, and 3 in the game. Afterall, that seems to be the theme Netherrealm is going for -- returning to the classic roots. Having every single regular playable character from the classics minus only a couple wouldn't really make any sense. It would be incomplete.

And for the record, yes, I know Quan Chi was also mentioned in the leaked audio files. If he really is going to be in the game, then it's going to have to be at the expense of leaving out one of the classic characters from the first three games. Honestly, if that's the case, I'd imagine they'd be throwing in Baraka over Liu Kang and sticking with the story that Liu Kang is dead. Maybe they'd still include him in the game, just not as a playable character.

It's too bad. Kintaro is my favorite Mortal Kombat character. I would have loved to see him make a return.

Anyways, either way, guess we'll have to wait and see what happens. Who knows? Maybe the final roster will have more than 26 characters.

Plym
01-12-2011, 03:53 AM
I hope Baraka and Liu Kang are in it.
Neither are my favourites but they are both unique which is something that annoys me about Mortal Kombat.
Alot of the character designs are very lazy such as endless Scorpion and Sub Zero clones.

Can you give a link to where the characters are so far confirmed?
I haven't seen anything about Sonya Blade, Kano and Johnny Cage.

thereefernander
01-12-2011, 04:19 PM
Johnny Cage has been out of the game for a while not, If I recall correctly. He was hilarious in MKII, with his Splits/Nut shot. I wouldn't mind seeing him in MK9. And there is NO WAY they are kicking Liu Kang out, after he has been in all the games so far.

EDIT: I just saw this which pretty much confirms Cage.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=283125

HabsCen10ial
01-13-2011, 06:53 PM
I agree with what you are saying. I believe Liu Kang may be the last character they announce considering he was the original MK champ.

I hope Baraka is in it as he was one of my favs from MKII and I hope that we get human smoke instead of the robot version.

kyboy
01-13-2011, 06:56 PM
liu kang was announced as one of the characters..

HabsCen10ial
01-14-2011, 03:47 PM
liu kang was announced as one of the characters..

No he hasn't been announced yet. Neither have Baraka and Smoke.

thereefernander
01-14-2011, 04:57 PM
True dat, MKII was such a good game! I believe in MKII, resides the true MK classics. Besides maybe Kano...and Sonya.

HabsCen10ial
01-17-2011, 02:05 AM
I loved MKII and can't wait for this.

Dizzy Domes
01-22-2011, 10:48 AM
With how brutal this game looks I would be gutted to not see Baraka show off his badassery.

Ceejus
01-28-2011, 04:50 AM
Update:

Liu Kang and Baraka have been confirmed, not surprisingly. Also, it was confirmed that neither Khameleon nor Chameleon would be in the game. I realize that Kabal, Noob Saibot, Smoke, and Stryker have not been officially announced, but there was a leaked audio clip of intros for these characters, suggesting that they will be in the final game.

That means the roster of 26 is complete. The only remaining characters from Mortal Kombat Trilogy (complete PS/PC version) are Kintaro, Motaro, Rain, and Sheeva. Something tells me Rain and Sheeva will either make the final cut (even though as of right now, the final roster is only scheduled to have 26), or will be the two DLC characters. As far as Kintaro and Motaro go, I have a gut feeling we won't be seeing them in the game at all, which would mean Netherrealm is putting more of a spotlight on Goro.

That's my updated guess. I'm sure we'll know more in the coming weeks, however.

TAI JASON
01-28-2011, 08:54 AM
Mileena...ürgh i want Kabal, Sektor/Cyrax and Kano!

After all it's great to get a new MK...it's time for MOOOORTAAAL KOOMBAAT *strange technosound comes up from the movie* :D

Plym
01-28-2011, 10:47 AM
That means the roster of 26 is complete. The only remaining characters from Mortal Kombat Trilogy (complete PS/PC version) are Kintaro, Motaro, Rain, and Sheeva. Something tells me Rain and Sheeva will either make the final cut They included Sheeva in the Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 port for the iPhone recently so hopefully she'll be in this game!

Are there no new characters then?

Cav Clayton
01-28-2011, 12:53 PM
Update:

Liu Kang and Baraka have been confirmed, not surprisingly. Also, it was confirmed that neither Khameleon nor Chameleon would be in the game. I realize that Kabal, Noob Saibot, Smoke, and Stryker have not been officially announced, but there was a leaked audio clip of intros for these characters, suggesting that they will be in the final game.

Stryker's been confirmed, he's in the new x-ray video.

Ceejus
01-29-2011, 03:48 AM
Stryker's been confirmed, he's in the new x-ray video.

Oh crap, you're right. Sick! That makes 23 officially confirmed. If 26 is believed to be the final number of combatants, then we are only waiting for confirmation on three more. The audio files seem to suggest Kabal, Noob Saibot, and Smoke.

26... man, I have to question why they aren't just gonna go the extra mile and put all the fighters from Mortal Kombat Trilogy in the game. It doesn't make sense to have a final game that's missing only 6 of them! Hopefully the 26 thing is nothing final. I really want the options that I did in Trilogy all those years ago.

Cav Clayton
01-29-2011, 04:31 AM
Probably because it will be DLC people will buy.

Ceejus
01-29-2011, 04:22 PM
Hopefully. But didn't they state that there would only be two DLC characters? If that's the case, we're looking at 28 fighters out of the original 32, meaning we'll still be missing four. As it's looking at the moment, given that it was already confirmed that Khameleon and Chameleon will not be in the game, that would leave only Kintaro, Motaro, Rain,and Sheeva. If 28 is believed to be the final count after the DLC, then it'll be interesting to see which of the four they will throw in. My ultimate guess is that we'll be seeing Rain and Sheeva as DLC fighters.

Forgive me for thinking too much into this, but I just can't help but think a modern day Mortal Kombat game with the full MK:T roster is the dream fighting game I've been longing for all these years. I hope they change their minds about only including Goro among the "big beasts". Kintaro is my favorite MK fighter, and it would be awesome to finally have a real battle between him and Goro.

Cav Clayton
01-30-2011, 05:11 AM
I'd say that sub-boss and boss characters won't be playable (as is the case with Goro).