PDA

View Full Version : review from the hip & brief explanation

Fried Cola
01-14-2011, 07:17 AM
ok, played the hell out of this game to fully 1500 it and feel I need an outlet to dump my impressions about it somewhere in spite of my better judgement. hi x360a.

Alan Wake is over rated. Its a decent game, sure, but doesn't deserve the majority of the credit or praise its given. My reason for saying so is I've played a lot of games and Alan Wake is nothing new, the same game has been done before and done better. If you've ever heard of Silent Hill 2, the internet loved that @10 ten year old PS2 game with crappy controls for a reason. Comparing the two, Alan Wake is soft ball. I'm not sure if it was intended to be that way to begin with or if it was toned down for mass appeal and a T-rating so it would be palatable for kids. Being a thriller, Wake is meant to increase suspense and tension through uncertainty and it fails at that mostly thanks to keeping you well stocked on items (even on the hardest difficulty!) and being predictable. There's nothing scary about this game. After the Nth time of a dramatic zoom out showing some babbling enemy behind me, floating object, or some big set piece in the distance being thrown around, the whole affair got more annoying than anything else. Its nothing like Silent Hill 2 where your flashlight barely pierces the opressive darkness surrounding you, and you hear disturbing noises before you run into some disturbing looking tumor thing you have to fight (because the protagonist is really screwed up in that game)

Treating the player like they're stupid doesn't help either. I shouldn't have narration telling me something is locked when I try to open a door and notice I can't. I also shouldn't be told I need a key because DUH! No shit I need a key. There are bits and pieces like that throughout the game that are redundant or stupid like the game still could have used some polish and cleaning up. I liked the phone bit at the end of the first chapter tho (old phones like that didn't work that way)

Anyhow, if you played and beat Alan Wake and couldn't make heads or tails of what was going on, it does something complicated and clever in the use of metaphores to express meaning. The use of symbols and such as literary devices. However it is really dumbed down and simplified so its kind of easy to decipher. The "light" the game keeps going on about? Its supposed to be Wake's sense of love and compassion. The darkness is his dark hateful oppressive side. A hint is Wake's wife's irrational fear of the dark, but the big tip off is the 'lady of the light' who is holding a lamp. That lamp symbolizes Wake's heart. If you pay attention to the backstory, the story you're playing through is about a woman who is quite literally (lol) trying to steal a man's heart by offing his true love and taking her place. Understanding that as the game's main conflict, though obscured as it is, may help to understand what the clicker's role as a symbol is. But you're on your own for that one, I'm not holding your hand for something so easy to figure out.

Also, to top it off, Alan Wake's story is Orphic. There's an old story about some dude named Orpheus who's lover dies and he goes into Hades to get her back. As he is about to bring her back, he turns around to see her and (there are variations) usually the story ends with her vanishing or being snatched back into Hades. A theme Wake repeats several times in many of its cut scenes.

now someone can argue with me, and tell me I'm wrong, and steal this all at the same time because this is the internet, right? :confused: