PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive screwed? Any way to save my content?

UNDERWALLY
01-16-2011, 06:32 PM
Hi, so I'm having this problem: every time I turn on my xbox, it just freezes instantly (on the Xboxx 360 logo), and it stays that way. If Itake the HARD DRIVE off the console, there's no problem and I can play games and everything. So the Hard Drive is damaged, I wanted to know if I there's any way that I can SAVE my content?? If I lose all my saved games, all my content, I'll probably cover myself in fire ants or pour hot lava down my throat, I'm DESPERATE, any tips??????? PLease I really need help!!!!

HackedInPieces
01-16-2011, 07:52 PM
yeah eaither a flash drive or external hard drive

Pootcrum
01-16-2011, 08:03 PM
There is a product out there called Xsata that allows you to back up HDDs onto a computer. But if your HDD is actually shagged, then you might be completely out of luck, if it is unreadable it is unreadable.

nagal
01-17-2011, 12:18 AM
hate to break it you, but your screwed.. My mw2 hdd juss took a shit on me 2 sundays ago ive tried almost everything.. when i hooked it up to a transfer cable to my comptuter it says that the hdd is unformatted, im assuming yours says the same thing?? i called m$ and they wont repair anything unless its under warrenty, mines been 1 month out of warrent and im sol..

my best bet to you is to take it to a computer repair shop and see if they have the means of hooking it up thru a sata cable.. what every you do, dont format it, but even formatting might not fix your problem, as it did I, it will come back and still say its unformatted.. id just plan on getting another hdd, and under the guide button>last tab>Accountmanagement>download history> and start getting it all back.. but your saves are screwed

Chaosx721
01-17-2011, 12:40 AM
my best bet to you is to take it to a computer repair shop and see if they have the means of hooking it up thru a sata cable.. what every you do, dont format it, but even formatting might not fix your problem, as it did I, it will come back and still say its unformatted.. id just plan on getting another hdd, and under the guide button>last tab>Accountmanagement>download history> and start getting it all back.. but your saves are screwed
You can't just use a computer to format a xbox hard drive and connect to the 360 and expect it to work, that's not how xbox hard drives work. I wouldn't recommend taking it to a computer repair shop as they wouldn't really know what to do with it because you need more then just hooking it up to a computer in order to do anything with an xbox hard drive.

I'd first try your hard drive on another system, a friends or something, to see if it does the same thing. You could also try cleaning out the little port on the hard drive and the port it goes into to get rid of any dust. If it still doesn't work you could call Microsoft and see what they can do.

ashleary
01-17-2011, 02:59 PM
Despite the conflicting posts above, you can connect the xbox360 HD to your PC and indeed access the data on it.

There are two ways of doing it, one is to use a connection kit such as Datel's XSATA, the other (if you're a bit more tech-savvy) is to dismantle the HD's casing and take the drive out. You can then connect it to a SATA header on your motherboard (providing you have one spare).
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-connect-your-xbox-360-hard-drive-to-your-pc/
There is a link to a guide on how do this. Note that this will void your warranty but I guess if your HD is nakered and your looking at other options you'll probably not be too fussed.

Once you've connected it up, you'll need some software (perhaps 3rd party, I'm not sure if the XSATA has any bundled). Perhaps you'll get lucky if you search for something like xplorer360 on google.... i dunno...

Once you've accessed the HD through the software, if it isn't totally nakered, you should be able to have access to your saves and profile. Get these injected onto a USB drive using the software. Remember, its not as simple as drag and drag in windows as the xbox writes data differently. Don't ask me how/why, it just does lol. If you search google for xtaf, you might find something useful there...

If you manage to get your data off and safe, you might wanna try putting your HD back on your xbox and see if formatting it helps? You might get lucky and it'll fix itself lol.

Keep us posted. Hope i've helped..

TAI JASON
01-17-2011, 03:04 PM
I got the feeling that the connection from the HDD is broke. One time i clip on my HDD not correctly and the Xbox freezes. The problem is maybe the connection port. You can't read out the data if it's broken. Last chance is a crack who will help you, open the HDD and put it on the PC without the XSATA Kit.

Wish you the best....

Boylin
01-17-2011, 03:22 PM
Assuming the connection isn't broken you can connect it to your PC using the official Microsoft transfer cable and use a program such as Modio (although there's loads more) to extract the data to your PC. You can inject it to a new hard drive (after formatting on your Xbox) the same way.

Matt16594
01-17-2011, 03:24 PM
Tbh i have had this problem when you take the hard drive out it loads fine, but in the end i figured out that i hadnt clipped the hard drive in all the way.

kuru
01-17-2011, 11:09 PM
I feel your pain, I really really do. This happend to my PC once, I lost roughly 200gigs worth of data, mostly family stuff.

What I did was, before this hard drive was dying out, I transfered it to another hard drive (vis USB enclosure, which turns your HD into an external one, you COULD use a usb hard drive as well) and I managed to save my data that way.

If not, then yeah, sorry for your loss.

WogMatt26
01-17-2011, 11:15 PM
HDD Transfer Kit TO PC find program on the internet.
Back up everything if possible.
Could be the connection for the HDD on the xbox.
You tried blowing in it? maybe a dust build-up.