PDA

View Full Version : Quick Review + Pro Tips

Falk3r
01-18-2011, 02:36 PM
Quick Review:
Version 1.0.0.0 of this game is too buggy to recommend. The "Resume Bug" prevents you from picking back up where you left off if you leave the application (answer a phone call, reply to a text message, phone goes to sleep, etc).

The above bug has been addressed and makes the game playable. Still not a must-have, but I'll revoke my "Do Not Buy" conclusion at this time.

However, it still has a tendency to lose save game data. You'll know it's a problem if on the main-menu, the Select Stage button is greyed out.

Beyond that...
Levels are Bland: Just re-arrangements of rock plateaus and adding multiple enemy spawns. *yawn*
Towers are Bland: They all just shoot with varying ranges, damages, and rates of fire. Where's the slowing turret? Where's the AoE turret? Sure, you can have an XWing or Snow Speeder sweep thru, but they are useless [a] near the base, and unless you line up the enemies horizontally. Ion cannons are better 100% of the time.
Strategy is Bland: No benefit for optimizing. Nothing carries over from level to level.

[B]Recap: Only buy this if you really like Star Wars and really like tower defense games. Bugged. Boring.

Pro Tips:
The biggest cash drain is rebuilding destroyed units. Unlike many tower defense games, all the enemies shoot back. The solution? Have a row of vanilla troopers (in trenches) as the first line. Directly behind them throw up some Ion cannons, and behind those an XWing depot or two. You'll be rebuilding the troopers for $10, so do NOT upgrade them. Ever. They're there just to take the damage without costing you a ton to replace. Consider them your meat-shield.

Set up a vertical wall of the trash-troopers, behind are ion cannons, and loop the enemies up/down as they progress from left to right. Add more ion cannons behind the first wave to handle later "boss" troops (same but more HP).

[edit]
When collecting money, attempt to collect a bunch in the same "drag". Press on the first and sweep across the screen to grab a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th to get 1.5x, 2x, or 3x point bonuses.

[re-edit]
After losing my saved-game progress four times, I again cannot recommend this game for purchase.

eastx
01-22-2011, 10:31 AM
Why didn't you download the update? It came out before 1/18 when you wrote this.

I do appreciate the tips though. I find this game hard because the controls are lame and enemies spawn as soon as the level starts, unlike most tower defense games.

Falk3r
02-14-2011, 12:14 AM
Weird... I downloaded another game update today, but on my Help/About screen it still reads 1.0.0.0. I wonder if they forgot to increment that when they updated it?

91GSX
03-17-2011, 01:37 PM
I noticed that too. I lost my save twice already and saw that I had ver 1.0.0.0 in the about screen. (I bought it during the recent sale) So I uninstalled it, downloaded it again and it says the same thing. Very frustrating!

Cringer85
03-17-2011, 08:32 PM
hi,

thank you for sharing your strategi. So far doing very nice. Just started today and level 7 right now. So far done the first 6 levels on normal with wipe-out! :-)

EDIT: any tips on lvl 7?? I have the whole screen built your way with towers. No prob up until the VERY last wave, where 3 bosses appear. They won't even lose a tiny bit of their health, even though they run past what is 50 towers or something (maximum number of towers deployed...)

EDIT2: also, there is no way to look-up, where you earned Wipe-Outs, right? One has to either remember or write it down?

XBOX ISAAC82
04-11-2011, 01:44 PM
hi,

thank you for sharing your strategi. So far doing very nice. Just started today and level 7 right now. So far done the first 6 levels on normal with wipe-out! :-)

EDIT: any tips on lvl 7?? I have the whole screen built your way with towers. No prob up until the VERY last wave, where 3 bosses appear. They won't even lose a tiny bit of their health, even though they run past what is 50 towers or something (maximum number of towers deployed...)

EDIT2: also, there is no way to look-up, where you earned Wipe-Outs, right? One has to either remember or write it down?

I managed to do level 7 getting wipe-out using about 8 laser cannons grouped together to save on power generators.

Also, you are correct there is no way to check up on what levels you've got wipe them out on. I currently going through game again as I obviously missed a level or two the first time. Also the achievements do not stack, i.e. completed on normal but easy achievement didn't unlock so means I have got to do at least another playthrough just for that achievement and the twice more on Fortress easy and normal. That means this game has minimum 4 playthroughs if you getting wipe them out on every level.