PDA

View Full Version : Hardcore

DeekBoy
01-19-2011, 02:04 AM
I just read in the new OXM that once you beat the game, you unlock hardcore mode. Which only gives you 3 saves and no checkpoints. That is punishment, I wonder if they also ramp up the difficulty. Thoughts? Concerns?

Rare Legend
01-19-2011, 02:14 AM
I just read in the new OXM that once you beat the game, you unlock hardcore mode. Which only gives you 3 saves and no checkpoints. That is punishment, I wonder if they also ramp up the difficulty. Thoughts? Concerns?

3 Saves!! No Checkpoints!! I am starting to get horrified. How long is one playthrough? If its close to previous game... 9-15 hours. Doesn't sound that hard now, perhaps still shaken by the "3 Saves" and "No Checkpoints. I better stock up on Controllers :(.

OldNotreDame
01-19-2011, 02:32 AM
Super tough. Love it. Looks like it will be an elite group at the top with 1000 in this game. Who's ready to join me?

DeekBoy
01-19-2011, 02:38 AM
Ya its going to be a tough one. It will make the game tougher to get the 1000 which will be nice

JuSt BLaZe
01-19-2011, 02:38 AM
Say whaaaat!? That's it, shiiiit. Well at least 3 saves. Not like in AVP (Nightmare Mode), NO SAVES & CHECKPOINTS @ all. We can do it guys. ;)

ChaosTheory2
01-19-2011, 02:58 AM
Eesh...I've just done New Vegas on Hardcore, Dead Space on Impossible, and Alan Wake on Nightmare, and now this.

Oh well. Guess I'll have to power up that RIG and Plasma Cutter.

DeekBoy
01-19-2011, 02:58 AM
Say whaaaat!? That's it, shiiiit. Well at least 3 saves. Not like in AVP (Nightmare Mode), NO SAVES & CHECKPOINTS @ all. We can do it guys. ;)

AVP first came to mind when I read that. It will be a fun little challenge :D

Chaosdude
01-19-2011, 03:37 AM
Challenge...
Accepted

BossMonster
01-19-2011, 03:57 AM
I Hope Hardcore mode actually lives up to its name, i expect not. The last one alltho amazing was far too easy. Would be nice to get abit of glory out of this one.

ruslan74
01-19-2011, 05:48 AM
But when you complete a chapter do you have to save to resume the next day? At least give us a chapter checkpoint in case you want to join up friends playing other online games?

DeekBoy
01-19-2011, 05:50 AM
But when you complete a chapter do you have to save to resume the next day? At least give us a chapter checkpoint in case you want to join up friends playing other online games?

I'm assuming that its just for that chapter because otherwise it would be really tough and long.

Violent
01-19-2011, 06:08 AM
Better use them saves wisely. I'm actually liking this though, Dead Space 1 was very easy to me on impossible mode and I flew right threw it with only a couple of problems. This will be more of a challenge, and that's what I wanna see.

chaoschao222
01-19-2011, 07:24 AM
The thing that bugs me about this is that I really need to plan out my days of playing hardcore, I mean, I hate the thought that if I wish to stop playing, I need to waste 1/3 of my total saves, just so I don't have to repeat 4~ hours of gameplay....

Pearson
01-19-2011, 07:26 AM
It's going to pose a challenge that is for sure, but I think that I am up for the challenge. Hopefully there will at least be chapter saves, because I'd hate to complete 4 chapters then die and start all the way back at the beginning.

ChaosTheory2
01-19-2011, 03:23 PM
There is a good, difficult challenge, and then there is foolishness.

Forcing you into wasting a save because you've finished playing for the day and would otherwise lose all your progress is not cool or challenging, but downright stupid. I like the idea of no checkpoints (during actual gameplay) and 3 saves if you get a chapter checkpoint at the very start of each chapter so at least you can resume at a later date without wasting a save.

HorsemanOfWar16
01-19-2011, 03:33 PM
This will be an awesome achievement to achieve!lol - let the hunt begin!! -

matt schwindt
01-19-2011, 03:36 PM
they just made this game seem alot less fun. really not needed for this type of game. you could do that without them telling you to do it also. it just feels frustrating already.

OldNotreDame
01-19-2011, 03:41 PM
listen to all the whiners already. there will probably be some kind of dlc suit like tank on DS1 that you can use to actually complete it since you are bad at dead space. :woop:

ChaosTheory2
01-19-2011, 04:00 PM
Wrong assessment, actually.

My complaint isn't in the difficult of doing it, but in the way it's presented. Being forced to waste a save because you want to stop playing is stupid. This doesn't make myself or anybody else who's voiced their opinions "poor players".

It wouldn't hurt to take a minute and differentiate between an educated response and an asinine one.

JuSt BLaZe
01-19-2011, 06:48 PM
I like the idea of no checkpoints (during actual gameplay) and 3 saves if you get a chapter checkpoint at the very start of each chapter so at least you can resume at a later date without wasting a save.

Yeah let's hope so (for the chapter-checkpoints). Cause IF NOT, we're doomed. :D

Gor1lla
01-19-2011, 07:57 PM
Doesn't sound hard, just time consuming. =/
Guess i'll have to ask my chef for paid holidays :D

FSparacino4
01-20-2011, 12:57 AM
Despite searching for hours, I have yet to find a source confirming this. I'd much rather listen to reason and see for myself when the game releases. If this is the case though, I'm up for the challenge. :)

Rare Legend
01-20-2011, 02:10 AM
I just realized that it actually sounds easy if you play all day with it, saving only after key point(s) and bosses. Most likely it carries through playthroughs so you can used gear that you maxed out first/second playthrough. Hope is still there :).

Cloud1992
01-20-2011, 02:24 AM
I doubt that's going to happen. I mean the first Dead Space was hard enough on impossible. I don't wanna hear that it was easy...because some people don't like to admit they died more than 3 times or they messed up on a shot while on impossible difficulty.What I'm trying to say is the directors wouldn't just give us(The players) just THREE saves with NO checkpoints on Hardcore. That's just stupid.

Violent
01-20-2011, 02:35 AM
So guys, whose going to unlock it first?

JuSt BLaZe
01-20-2011, 03:22 AM
So guys, whose going to unlock it first?

Hahaha, I don't want to be the first to unlock it but I defo wanna be the first to find out if it's three checkpoints in each chapter or through the entire game. ;)

ChaosTheory2
01-20-2011, 03:43 AM
I try to enjoy games the first time around so I'll take a little while to finish, so I certainly won't be the first to get it, haha.

Violent
01-20-2011, 04:02 AM
Hahaha, I don't want to be the first to unlock it but I defo wanna be the first to find out if it's three checkpoints in each chapter or through the entire game. ;)

Haha, everyone does.

I try to enjoy games the first time around so I'll take a little while to finish, so I certainly won't be the first to get it, haha.

Yeah, me too, I usually like to switch up games and not just play the same game all the time. I'd rather just play for a little then come back later.

DeekBoy
01-20-2011, 08:16 AM
Despite searching for hours, I have yet to find a source confirming this. I'd much rather listen to reason and see for myself when the game releases. If this is the case though, I'm up for the challenge. :)

does this work for a source or do you want more?
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f125/PiranhaBLVFG3/IMG_4500.jpg

Tyger7
01-20-2011, 09:04 AM
I have that magazine too. It's hard to say if they mean 3 saves entirely, or 3 save slots. The first game had many, so you could have multiple saves "just in case" to go with your checkpoint save file. It could be 3 total though then we'd have to wonder if an achievement was attached to it. So, guess we'll find out in the end what exactly it's all about. I also wonder if they are adding chapter select, so you actually have 3 saves within one chapter, vs 3 in the entire game (which would be extreme, considering you can die in one hit to a lot of enemies).

Corallion
01-20-2011, 05:58 PM
This was straight from the developer (via twitter)

_Gloucester_: Is it true Hardcore mode only allows three saves and has no checkpoints?

codecow: yes it is

Source (http://twitter.com/#%21/codecow)

WaltXXX
01-20-2011, 06:23 PM
I wonder if you can play "Hardcore Mode" on lower difficulties. It would be nearly impossible otherwise.

JuSt BLaZe
01-20-2011, 06:43 PM
I wonder if you can play "Hardcore Mode" on lower difficulties. It would be nearly impossible otherwise.

Yeah I was thinking the same, but I guess not. The name "Hardcore Mode" says for itself. Woudn't be much of Hard if you can run through on Easy.

MiNDmaZing
01-20-2011, 07:23 PM
maybe u can save 3 times on harddisk, 3 times on usb device and so on :P and the game will not check it :)

snobbigB
01-20-2011, 09:23 PM
I kinda hope it is just 3 saves. I like achievements that I feel like I really did "achieve", rather than just kinda stepping into it.

Takamura Bear
01-20-2011, 10:28 PM
Isn't there supposed to be a mode that's even more difficult than hardcore? I noticed on the demo that there were at least one or two levels higher than hardcore mode in the menu.

I could be wrong but I hope I didn't scare people lol. Fucking brutal.

DeekBoy
01-21-2011, 12:34 AM
I kinda hope it is just 3 saves. I like achievements that I feel like I really did "achieve", rather than just kinda stepping into it.

im with you on this one. we are thrown so many easy achievements so we get used to it. i hope that this makes the game that much harder to complete

Dan.Pro
01-21-2011, 12:38 AM
If you can only use 3 saves and there is no chapter saving, It won't be hard, it will just be time consuming, I mean I do not have time to play like 10 hours without taking a damn break and I won't let my xbox overheat because I do not want to loose my progress on Dead Space 2!

I just hope it isn't like this :(

Cloud1992
01-21-2011, 01:28 AM
If you can only use 3 saves and there is no chapter saving, It won't be hard, it will just be time consuming, I mean I do not have time to play like 10 hours without taking a damn break and I won't let my xbox overheat because I do not want to loose my progress on Dead Space 2!

I just hope it isn't like this :(
I agree. I mean if you only get 3 saves throughout the entire game...that's dumb.

TrishTheDish
01-21-2011, 03:12 AM
I agree. I mean if you only get 3 saves throughout the entire game...that's dumb.
I agree, some of us actually have lives and kids and a job. Twelve hours straight gameplay (or whatever it turns out to be) isn't exactly realistic for someone like me.

PePzi NL
01-21-2011, 09:01 AM
I agree, some of us actually have lives and kids and a job. Twelve hours straight gameplay (or whatever it turns out to be) isn't exactly realistic for someone like me.

I agree. I mean I do have the time, but it's just no fun when you want to stop playing but the game won't let you, or you'll have to replay a couple HOURS of gameplay.

Make it like Bioshock or something, complete on Hardcore without dying. I want to save when I want to save.

MASS DOMINATION
01-21-2011, 10:01 AM
I have that magazine too. It's hard to say if they mean 3 saves entirely, or 3 save slots. The first game had many, so you could have multiple saves "just in case" to go with your checkpoint save file. It could be 3 total though then we'd have to wonder if an achievement was attached to it. So, guess we'll find out in the end what exactly it's all about. I also wonder if they are adding chapter select, so you actually have 3 saves within one chapter, vs 3 in the entire game (which would be extreme, considering you can die in one hit to a lot of enemies).

there is an achievement attached to it. it would make more sense if it was like bioshocks brass balls achievement for beating the game on hard without vita chambers(checkpoints). having three save slots would make this achievement a whole ton easier since u could just overwrite them. but if its just 3 saves period then i desperatly hope that completing levels will serve as checkpoints.

if not then i will have to dedicate a good 2 -3 days to pure hell(in a good way). The achievement is called Hard Core after all, so it makes sense that this wont be your regular "beat game on hardest difficulty" kinda deal no matter how saves and checkpoints work. This makes me even more excited for the game knowing that i will really earn a true achievement.

Come to think of it. Wouldn't it be a cool idea if all games had 1 "True Achievement". It would be the hardest or most skillful achievement in the game and could range from big things like DS2's Hard Core achievement, to things involving shorter but crazy and skillful tasks.
For example, in gears 3 there could be a True Achievement for beating the game on insane without chainsawing anyone. Or it could be completely opposite and be like, chainsaw 10 enemy's in 1 minute. The achievement could be part of the main achievement list or act like a separate bonus.
For example, achievements completed 50/50. True Achievement earned: No
Thoughts?

Nozza XBA
01-21-2011, 10:06 AM
Whats Zealot then?

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/../images/achievements/907/5-62uQ0=.jpg (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/../game/dead-space-2/achievement/48553-Mission-Impossible.html)Mission Impossible
Complete the game on Zealot setting

FSparacino4
01-21-2011, 10:35 AM
Zealot is the difficulty right before Hard Core. It is the 4th hardest difficulty (out of 5). Most likely stackable after beating the game on Hard Core.

Rivercurse
01-21-2011, 10:35 AM
When I first read it my initial thoughts were the same as Tyger, but realistically they can't mean 3 save slots.. Most players would use 1, or 2 max, in a playthrough anyway. 3 save slots isn't even a limitation for the average player.

ruslan74
01-21-2011, 10:48 AM
Yeah I was thinking the same, but I guess not. The name "Hardcore Mode" says for itself. Woudn't be much of Hard if you can run through on Easy.

Well to be honest Fallout New Vegas has Hardcore mode which is playable on Easy. So perhaps its similar in DS2?

PePzi NL
01-21-2011, 10:59 AM
there is an achievement attached to it. it would make more sense if it was like bioshocks brass balls achievement for beating the game on hard without vita chambers(checkpoints). having three save slots would make this achievement a whole ton easier since u could just overwrite them. but if its just 3 saves period then i desperatly hope that completing levels will serve as checkpoints.

if not then i will have to dedicate a good 2 -3 days to pure hell(in a good way). The achievement is called Hard Core after all, so it makes sense that this wont be your regular "beat game on hardest difficulty" kinda deal no matter how saves and checkpoints work. This makes me even more excited for the game knowing that i will really earn a true achievement.

Come to think of it. Wouldn't it be a cool idea if all games had 1 "True Achievement". It would be the hardest or most skillful achievement in the game and could range from big things like DS2's Hard Core achievement, to things involving shorter but crazy and skillful tasks.
For example, in gears 3 there could be a True Achievement for beating the game on insane without chainsawing anyone. Or it could be completely opposite and be like, chainsaw 10 enemy's in 1 minute. The achievement could be part of the main achievement list or act like a separate bonus.
For example, achievements completed 50/50. True Achievement earned: No
Thoughts?

Sure it's a good idea, but it's just no fun to replay at least 4 hours of gameplay just because I made 1 little mistake. That is not hard, that's torture and unfair. Ninja Gaiden on the highest diff is hard, Castlevania on Paladin (without the upgrades) is hard. Completing Dead Space 2 without dying once (coz that is what this achievement practically comes to) and having to start over when you do is... Well, no fun.

ChaosTheory2
01-21-2011, 02:18 PM
As I said before, I am all for a tough challenge that you're proud of yourself for accomplishing, but being forced to play the entire game in one sitting or waste a save when you don't really want to is not a challenge, it's irritating.

JuSt BLaZe
01-21-2011, 03:03 PM
Well to be honest Fallout New Vegas has Hardcore mode which is playable on Easy. So perhaps its similar in DS2?

Yeah that's true. But we talking about Visceral Games. They don't make the stupid mistake like Obsidian Entertainment. Anywayz, looking forward to this special "Hardcore" achievement. Man up to 5 difficulties. This is going to be one hell of a trip. A little challenge is always good.

AngelOfDeathMG
01-21-2011, 05:34 PM
As I said before, I am all for a tough challenge that you're proud of yourself for accomplishing, but being forced to play the entire game in one sitting or waste a save when you don't really want to is not a challenge, it's irritating.

No one says you have to play hardcore. It is there for those that want a challenge, and that isn't everyone. Given that it is above zealot, most likely will be the same restrictions/actual difficulty or higher.
The game has been estimated by every review so far as being between 12-16 hours. That means you (if you are good) could devote three periods of 4-5.3 hours. You CAN still pause the game if you need to leave. This seems VERY doable to me. On a weekend, or a bi-yearly week break I will decimate this achievement. The point is to devote time to it.

Halo has the Iron skull, which means you restart a level if you die (while playing solo). And bungie issued a challenge, that was ACCEPTED, to do the entire game with said skull on, on legendary, with all other skulls. Perhaps you have heard of SLASO/Mythic?

Other games do the same. Hell, back on the NES you HAD to play several games beginning to end because saves didn't exist. SOME games had passwords. Same with games in arcades.

I look forward to this, as it is a classic gaming challenge, and for obvious bragging rights. See you guys on the other side :AR15

MASS DOMINATION
01-21-2011, 07:14 PM
Here is some confirmation on Hard Core mode. info is from the IGN dead space review. it turns out it is as "bad" as we feared.

"If you're truly devoted like myself, there's even a mode known as "Hardcore," and it's nothing less than sadistic. The enemies are at their toughest, the supplies are limited, there are no checkpoints, and if you die, you restart from your last save. Oh, and you can only save three times in the entire game. That's crazy talk, but damn, do I want to do it."

The5thCylon
01-21-2011, 07:46 PM
Other games do the same. Hell, back on the NES you HAD to play several games beginning to end because saves didn't exist. SOME games had passwords.

Yes, but they also didn't take 12-16 hours to play through or set you back possibly multiple hours when you died. A lot of them even had infinite continues. Hell, I could get through Battletoads in about an hour.

jae200
01-21-2011, 08:40 PM

Also, the review of Dead Space 2 went up at IGN today and it was mentioned in their review. I came to the forums after reading it.

GamerGuides
01-21-2011, 09:19 PM
Also note that you CANNOT carry over any weapons from a finished game (like you can in New Game+ mode). You MUST start a fresh game on Hardcore difficulty.

What makes it annoying is dying near the start and having to watch the unskippable intro everytime! :uzi:

MASS DOMINATION
01-21-2011, 09:47 PM
Yes, but they also didn't take 12-16 hours to play through or set you back possibly multiple hours when you died. A lot of them even had infinite continues. Hell, I could get through Battletoads in about an hour.

IGN said the game is a little over 10 hours. since u can only try hard core mode on at least ur second playthrough i doubt it would take that long even on the hardest difficulty. also, u have infinite "continues". if u use ur last save on lets say chapter 8 out of 10. then u would need to finish the last to chapters on one life. no matter how many times u die, u will be sent back to chapter 8.

Also note that you CANNOT carry over any weapons from a finished game (like you can in New Game+ mode). You MUST start a fresh game on Hardcore difficulty.

What makes it annoying is dying near the start and having to watch the unskippable intro everytime! :uzi:

where did u hear this? there is a new game plus that lets u carry over all ur guns and stuff but where did u hear that the achievement will only unlock if u start from scratch?

MR2TURBO
01-21-2011, 09:55 PM
Way Overboard Achievement

Cloud1992
01-21-2011, 10:21 PM
If someone can give me Physical Live proof about how Hardcore only gives you 3 saves and no check points then I will believe the rumor. If not o-well...

ChaosTheory2
01-21-2011, 10:49 PM
No one says you have to play hardcore. It is there for those that want a challenge, and that isn't everyone. Given that it is above zealot, most likely will be the same restrictions/actual difficulty or higher.
The game has been estimated by every review so far as being between 12-16 hours. That means you (if you are good) could devote three periods of 4-5.3 hours. You CAN still pause the game if you need to leave. This seems VERY doable to me. On a weekend, or a bi-yearly week break I will decimate this achievement. The point is to devote time to it.

Halo has the Iron skull, which means you restart a level if you die (while playing solo). And bungie issued a challenge, that was ACCEPTED, to do the entire game with said skull on, on legendary, with all other skulls. Perhaps you have heard of SLASO/Mythic?

Other games do the same. Hell, back on the NES you HAD to play several games beginning to end because saves didn't exist. SOME games had passwords. Same with games in arcades.

I look forward to this, as it is a classic gaming challenge, and for obvious bragging rights. See you guys on the other side :AR15

I'm a completionist, and am not complaining about the existence of this particular achievement, my complaint is in taking choice out of the players hands. I will (hopefully) do this achievement as I truly love Dead Space. I just don't think they quite hit the nail on the proverbial head in execution.

Corallion
01-22-2011, 05:48 AM
If someone can give me Physical Live proof about how Hardcore only gives you 3 saves and no check points then I will believe the rumor. If not o-well...

If you read the previous posts there are two different sources, one being directly from a developer, but HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUG7uq0bh2k&feature=youtu.be) is another if those weren't good enough.

Also, for the person asking about NG+ and hardcore mode, it is in that video as well.

FSparacino4
01-22-2011, 06:13 AM
where did u hear this? there is a new game plus that lets u carry over all ur guns and stuff but where did u hear that the achievement will only unlock if u start from scratch?

New Game + does indeed let you carry over your weapons and upgrades but only on the same difficulty level. Therefore, if you are going for the Hard Core achievement you must start over.

Cloud1992
01-22-2011, 06:42 AM
If you read the previous posts there are two different sources, one being directly from a developer, but HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUG7uq0bh2k&feature=youtu.be) is another if those weren't good enough.

Also, for the person asking about NG+ and hardcore mode, it is in that video as well.
I just saw the video earlier today. That's such a bummer...I mean 3 saves ? Really ?? If, they gave at least 5 I could understand,but 3 ? Smh....

Dats Rayciss
01-22-2011, 08:45 AM

I am playing on Hardcore right now and I can tell you for sure that the "checkpoint restart" option is grayed out - there are no checkpoints on HC.

However, after your first time beating the game, you get a pop-up message after the credits explaining how HC works: it essentially says what we discussed here, 3 saves only, limited health & ammo.

I can say, however, that the damage does not seem to be increased at all for the necro's. I've been trying to conserve ammo and melee/stomp as much as possible and have been hit 2x - each time only losing 1 block of health.

Ammo seems to be just as fruitful as before, but your plasma cutter only gets 3 rounds per pickup. Thus, you effectively get ammo to kill 1 person per pickup (2 leg shots & 1 arm/head shot). Make your shots count!

I have yet to save it, but I am going to go out on a limb and assume that finishing a Chapter does NOT autosave/checkpoint for you. You have 3 saves total. So if you burn all three in Chapters 1, 3 & 5, you better be ready for the long haul from Chapters 6-15, that's all I gotta say...

My goal: Plasma Cutter only run, upgrading Stasis, then PC, then Rig. Anyone suggest otherwise?

PS - Plasma Cutter upgrades are identical to DS1.

EDIT: I just went to save and was prompted with the message "You have 3 save(s) remaining. Are you sure you want to save?"

This is going to be a bitch...

Senseless
01-22-2011, 12:34 PM
Can anyone who has already beaten the game help us out with this.

***Spoilers possible***

To prepare for a hardcore run I wanna know, will there be tricky "you make one mistake you're dead" sequences in the game again, such as when you had to precisely run from those tentacles in the first game, that caused a lot of deaths for me. I dont want to have to get to points where If I make one tiny mistake Ill have to restart hours of work.

JuSt BLaZe
01-22-2011, 01:39 PM
I am playing on Hardcore right now and I can tell you for sure that the "checkpoint restart" option is grayed out - there are no checkpoints on HC.

However, after your first time beating the game, you get a pop-up message after the credits explaining how HC works: it essentially says what we discussed here, 3 saves only, limited health & ammo.

I can say, however, that the damage does not seem to be increased at all for the necro's. I've been trying to conserve ammo and melee/stomp as much as possible and have been hit 2x - each time only losing 1 block of health.

Ammo seems to be just as fruitful as before, but your plasma cutter only gets 3 rounds per pickup. Thus, you effectively get ammo to kill 1 person per pickup (2 leg shots & 1 arm/head shot). Make your shots count!

I have yet to save it, but I am going to go out on a limb and assume that finishing a Chapter does NOT autosave/checkpoint for you. You have 3 saves total. So if you burn all three in Chapters 1, 3 & 5, you better be ready for the long haul from Chapters 6-15, that's all I gotta say...

My goal: Plasma Cutter only run, upgrading Stasis, then PC, then Rig. Anyone suggest otherwise?

EDIT: I just went to save and was prompted with the message "You have 3 save(s) remaining. Are you sure you want to save?"

Wow. Nice infos there. Thanks man. Now I can prepare for the ultimate nightmare! :o

Dan.Pro
01-22-2011, 05:00 PM
Wow. Nice infos there. Thanks man. Now I can prepare for the ultimate nightmare! :o

Yeah, I agree with him. Thanks!

Cloud1992
01-22-2011, 05:17 PM

I'm guessing "Hardcore" is like impossible mode in DS1,but damage is not as bad as you just said it's just an ammo problem. I know this might sound strange,but I've played the demo quite often,and have been trying "New ways" to conserve ammo with the different encounters . If,Hardcore is what you say it is above then I think I'll be fine.

Jakethemuss
01-22-2011, 07:25 PM
This idea of only 3 saves and no checkpoints sounds like its really gonna seperate the true gamers from the 'casuals'. I died a helluva lot on DS1 during impossible run. So the idea of dying, replaying for afew hours, dying at the same spot and going back sounds like it would drive me up the wall.

Its for similar reasons that I've yet to try AvP on hardest difficulty as if you die you have to restart the entire level.

Eleo
01-22-2011, 08:23 PM
This game is annoying enough on Zealot... Maybe I'm butthurt, but I might even describe it as sometimes being "cheap". I can't count how many times I died because a room was overflowing with enemies and I'm running around frantically trying to account for them all but get hit in the back and died instantly. Enemies spawn behind you or on both sides of you all the time in this game. If your health is lower than 75% a lot of attacks can instakill you. Having to replay a huge section of the game upon death is utterly retarded. What other game puts that kind of constraint on you? Even in a really old school game I'd get to start at the beginning of the level... Even in Demon's Souls I'd spawn at the beginning of the level. A checkpoint at the beginning of the chapter would make way more sense. There's "hard core" and then there's just frustrating/annoying. Hardcore doesn't mean sucking all the fun out of the game.

ChaosTheory2
01-22-2011, 10:26 PM
I agree with a lot of what you say, but think how proud you'll feel when you here that bloop when you unlock it. :)

This game is annoying enough on Zealot... Maybe I'm butthurt, but I might even describe it as sometimes being "cheap". I can't count how many times I died because a room was overflowing with enemies and I'm running around frantically trying to account for them all but get hit in the back and died instantly. Enemies spawn behind you or on both sides of you all the time in this game. If your health is lower than 75% a lot of attacks can instakill you. Having to replay a huge section of the game upon death is utterly retarded. What other game puts that kind of constraint on you? Even in a really old school game I'd get to start at the beginning of the level... Even in Demon's Souls I'd spawn at the beginning of the level. A checkpoint at the beginning of the chapter would make way more sense. There's "hard core" and then there's just frustrating/annoying. Hardcore doesn't mean sucking all the fun out of the game.

Yaymez
01-22-2011, 10:47 PM
It is funny to see how much of a negative reaction this whole 'limited' saves thing is generating. There was a significant time in gaming way before achievements, XBOX360's and such when there was literally no such thing as a save game.

If you died, you went back to the beginning and that was that. There was also no way to moan about it being too difficult and frustrating as there was no internet at that time.

It was a big deal if any of us finished a game back then because we all knew it would have had to have been a flawless playthrough. It was also a huge point of pride.

So don't freak out/get annoyed/be worried etc about this difficulty achievement. Give it a go, if you don't manage to do it, fine, don't worry about it. If you do manage to do it, it will be one of the more significant accomplishments in your gaming career. ;)

Dats Rayciss
01-22-2011, 10:54 PM
Can anyone who has already beaten the game help us out with this.

***Spoilers possible***

To prepare for a hardcore run I wanna know, will there be tricky "you make one mistake you're dead" sequences in the game again, such as when you had to precisely run from those tentacles in the first game, that caused a lot of deaths for me. I dont want to have to get to points where If I make one tiny mistake Ill have to restart hours of work.

Hate to say it, but there are way too many parts of the game where you can die very easily.
-When the train derails and you're upside down
-First time meeting the stalkers
-The area where you fought your first Brute, you will come back to here later and have to survive a massive amount of enemies until someone else can open a door for you

Those are just a handful of spots that are annoying and can easily kill you. But more in general, the enemies often times will sneak up behind you and hit you in the back. The real bitches are the guys with the tails and walk around on their arms. They're fast as fuck now and are hard to hit with stasis, not to mention they hit hard as shit too.

I haven't started the HC run just yet (almost done with Zealot and IMO, with a NG+ on Zealot, it's very easy - only died 1x so far), but from what I remember on Zealot so far, you can make it to probably Chapter 5 or 6 before having to use your first save. The real bitch is having garbage suits which only hold 10-15 items.

I'd hate to say stick with the PC the whole time, but using multiple weapons does not seem that efficient - although, a maxed out Javeline Gun does take down a brute in 3 hits + alt fire. You need to have an uber weapon to drop people with and whore your stasis & kinesis. Later levels are going to be brutal as ammo will be short, health will be too and you will not have a lot of slots to carry much ammo for your weapons, unless you choose just one and sell everything else to get cash for health + ammo.

Just my 2 cents.

chaoschao222
01-23-2011, 12:35 AM
It is funny to see how much of a negative reaction this whole 'limited' saves thing is generating. There was a significant time in gaming way before achievements, XBOX360's and such when there was literally no such thing as a save game.

If you died, you went back to the beginning and that was that. There was also no way to moan about it being too difficult and frustrating as there was no internet at that time.

A lot of older games gave you more than one life, some gave you level checkpoints, and finally, old games were a lot shorter.

TrishTheDish
01-23-2011, 01:40 AM
A lot of older games gave you more than one life, some gave you level checkpoints, and finally, old games were a lot shorter.
Or for those of us who grew up on PC games, you were able to save anywhere at anytime. Still can on most games.

Again this is just me being a geezer compared to all the kids on here, but that kind of save system is so nice when life comes calling. Don't get me wrong, I'm still buying the game and definitely will give it a go, but wow it's going to take some planning ahead to clear enough time for Hardcore (or is it Hard Core?).

Yaymez
01-23-2011, 02:02 AM
I just think that this whole '3 saves' thing is being put up on far to much of a pedestal.

If you want to play it with those limitations for both the achievement and the accomplishment. Then go for it, play it through on a regular mode, use your noggin and work out a strategy for your limited saves run.

joshnorm
01-23-2011, 02:03 AM

It was a big deal if any of us finished a game back then because we all knew it would have had to have been a flawless playthrough. It was also a huge point of pride.

So don't freak out/get annoyed/be worried etc about this difficulty achievement. Give it a go, if you don't manage to do it, fine, don't worry about it. If you do manage to do it, it will be one of the more significant accomplishments in your gaming career. ;)

10 hr experience where you can save like 3 times? Oh and make it so you have a shit ton of foes on the screen because the machine can push it and have several different fun surprises that are obscenely cheap.

Yea I am not a fan of this at all and it has kind of turned me off playing the game.

Yaymez
01-23-2011, 02:06 AM
I was totally going to reply to this, then I saw your avatar picture and it has completely overwritten my train of thought!

"MINIONS!!!!!!!!!"

Bloodrune
01-23-2011, 02:07 AM
I love it. A real gut check to point whores (lol) and real gamers.

I just pre ordered. Since I'm not buying any more games until Skyrim comes out, I will have plenty of practice doing Hardcore mode

Cloud1992
01-23-2011, 02:43 AM
I don't know if you guys did this in the first Dead Space or not,but what I did was I started on easy. I did this to get the feel of the game,and to Experience the story before I started Impossible. If,my memory serves me right in the original Dead Space there were numerous times where it was easy to get killed on Impossible. Like Ch.9 for example when you go into the USM Valor's(Warship if anyone was actually paying attention to the what Kendra was saying rather then zoning off) Barracks room(a.k.a The long Hallway ).

What I'm getting at since some people have the attention span of a four year old is that it's all based off memory. When you start on Zealot(Hard) of course your gonna complain( Not trying to offend anyone ) . I mean...let's face it. Zealot is hard for a reason " Yes " do you have to start on it ? " No " Like I said enjoy the story and remember key locations! I played through the original 2 times on easy to A) Weapon upgrades,Weapon kills, fully upgrade my rig and B) To remember where the necro's pop out when I go through on Impossible.

I know we got unlimited saves in the original,and I know in Dead Space 2 we only get 3. Try to remember the locations! The demo of Dead Space 2 is a good example..of I have been talking about!(Locations) I have told my friends that have played Dead Space to start on Easy,and to remember the locations( I feel like I can't stress this enough lol )

All it is repetition people. My advice will probably be corrected,but that's what I did and I was successful.
I know Hard Core sounds difficult,but I know we can do it!! Good Luck to all that attempt :)

Yaymez
01-23-2011, 03:40 AM
I couldn't agree with you more on this dude, I'm pretty sure that we all have the skills here to be able to do it.

DeekBoy
01-23-2011, 03:51 AM
I also played dead space 1 on easy just to take in the story and see the environment. It let's me enjoy the game. I will more than likely do the same thing for this game as well.

FSparacino4
01-23-2011, 05:56 AM
Well as I'm playing on easy first anyways to fully explore and get all the achievements (48 of 50 can be done on easy), it will allow me to learn the chapters and when and where the necromorphs spawn. This will make higher difficultly levels more bearable. Unless of course Hardcore difficulty has completely different or random spawns.

Chaosdude
01-23-2011, 08:34 AM
ITT: "omg hardcore 3 saves" (cries and cancels preorder)

sepulturas666
01-23-2011, 08:50 AM
That happens when the devs are unable to make the game hard enough. It's exactly the same as Zealot, but with no saves and checkpoints. :)

JohnnyR74
01-23-2011, 09:23 AM
This sounds ridiculous, but not impossible. Surely one or two playthroughs would help you memorize the game, so you could plan your saves accordingly. I'm looking forward to doing this. I think every game needs one difficult achievement, just to separate the men from the boys. ;)

rapture23
01-23-2011, 11:59 AM
I personally hope it is 3 saves for the entire game. Because I want a real challenge. Dead space was way too easy for me. Playing through RE5 on veteran with just the standard un-upgraded beretta was harder. Oh and I'm on chapter 10 right now I should be done in a few hours. I will let you guys know about hardcore mode when I unlock it.

Jimbo1979
01-23-2011, 01:04 PM
I think people are missing the point here. Just because you can sit for 5-6 hours at once playing a game does not make you a 1337 hardcore gamer, it makes you one of these two:

1) a kid still at home with parents
2) Adult who either has no kids/wife/girlfriend or unemployed.

I don't care as I won't be going for it so it does not effect me. But people have wifes/kids and can't do all those hours in one go. 3 saves you are looking at at least 3-4 hours per session if you don't die to much,

Just my view on it, but as I said, I dont care as I am not going for it for the exact reasons above, but I am enjoying the game on normal and I don't tend to play a game more then once anyway.

Dan.Pro
01-23-2011, 04:35 PM
I think people are missing the point here. Just because you can sit for 5-6 hours at once playing a game does not make you a 1337 hardcore gamer, it makes you one of these two:

I agree with that, I do actually still have school and I do work, plus have a girlfriend and normal friends to worry about, etc. I just can't stay online for 5-6hours without doing anything else lol!

The only thing I hate in that achievement is the fact that you can only save three times! They could have gave a chapter checkpoint at the very beginning of each of them! Anyways :(

DeekBoy
01-23-2011, 06:03 PM

I don't care as I won't be going for it so it does not effect me. But people have wifes/kids and can't do all those hours in one go. 3 saves you are looking at at least 3-4 hours per session if you don't die to much,

Just my view on it, but as I said, I dont care as I am not going for it for the exact reasons above, but I am enjoying the game on normal and I don't tend to play a game more then once anyway.

so since some of us care about our achieves that means that we dont have lives? are you fucking kidding me? your going to come on this thread and bash the people who want to get this achieve? i work 2 jobs and have a girlfriend and yet im still determined to get my 100% im getting my money's worth by finishing this game. just because you dont give a shit doesnt mean you have to come on here and assume shit about the rest of us.

Hoborg
01-23-2011, 06:08 PM
I think every game needs one difficult achievement, just to separate the men from the boys. ;)

Or the ones with no life from mature adults. I go to law school and I got a wife and a dog. This is a low blow from the developer. Taking out the mp achievements were a blessing because the mp is tacked on. However, replacing one good deed with a bad one is just sad. Defeating a game on a hard difficulty is an okay achievement (minus some call of duty titles) but it doesn't need to be compounded with a bunch of bullshit such as no saves, infinite spawns, etc.

Think before you speak.

DeekBoy
01-23-2011, 06:14 PM
Or the ones with no life from mature adults. I go to law school and I got a wife and a dog. This is a low blow from the developer. Taking out the mp achievements were a blessing because the mp is tacked on. However, replacing one good deed with a bad one is just sad. Defeating a game on a hard difficulty is an okay achievement (minus some call of duty titles) but it doesn't need to be compounded with a bunch of bullshit such as no saves, infinite spawns, etc.

Think before you speak.

why cant games have hard achieves? im sorry do you want everything thrown at you? i understand that you dont have time to get the achieve but you dont have to assume that the ones who did get it have no lives. take LIMBO for example, go look at the leaderboards and see just how many people have finished that game. so many people give up because that last achieve is so hard. it truly does separate someone who gives a shit to someone who doesnt.

how about you think before you come into a thread dedicated to this achievement.

Jawsant
01-23-2011, 06:20 PM
I'm a bit confused, can you choose where to save or is it automatic?

DeekBoy
01-23-2011, 06:21 PM
I'm a bit confused, can you choose where to save or is it automatic?

just like in the original dead space you can choose where to save, you just only have 3 saves

Jawsant
01-23-2011, 06:23 PM
Thanks! I'm sorry I posted twice

sepulturas666
01-23-2011, 06:24 PM
why cant games have hard achieves?
take LIMBO for example....

Is that how you should make a hard achievement? I like tough ones, even if they are as brutal as Master Ninja from Ninja Gaiden - yep there you can save your game! Playing for 4-5hrs without ability to save....sorry dude but that is bad developers decision.

LIMBO is short game - hour and 30 mins and not hard at all.

JuSt BLaZe
01-23-2011, 06:34 PM
Is that how you should make a hard achievement? I like tough ones, even if they are as brutal as Master Ninja from Ninja Gaiden - yep there you can save your game! Playing for 4-5hrs without ability to save....sorry dude but that is bad developers decision.

Yeah, I'm totally with you man.
I don't mind if they make HARD achievements as longs as you can take a break every now & then. Besides, we are not really blessed with our console generation (ROD & overheating problems).
This takes me back to Dead Rising 1 = 7 Day Survivor.

But I'm confident, there will be a decent solution soon for this cheevo. When to use the save, where to preserve ammo, how to kill enemies & pass difficult chapter-parts with the best strategies.

http://tiles.xbox.com/tiles/wn/kz/0YCLiGJhbC8xCBsFG1lTWURGL2FjaC8wLzJFAAAAAOfn5-4ced4=.jpg

Hard to the Core 50G

Complete the game on Hard Core setting

JohnnyR74
01-23-2011, 06:37 PM

Think before you speak.

Well, that was rude. If you're so busy, just wait for a day when you can set aside a few hours to play the game. Obviously this achievement is going to be time-consuming, so just wait for a day when you have time to work on it. Complaining about the achievement won't unlock it.

DeekBoy
01-23-2011, 08:00 PM

LIMBO is short game - hour and 30 mins and not hard at all.

did you somehow miss the part of why i brought up LIMBO? i brought it up because if you look at the leaderboards you can tell that a lot of people gave up and didnt want to beat it with 5 or less deaths because the achievement was too hard. when you played old games did you bitch about how you couldnt save your game? probably not because we were so used to the fact that we couldnt save.

CressDX
01-23-2011, 08:06 PM
ITT: "omg hardcore 3 saves" (cries and cancels preorder)

Just did on the Collectors Edition:mad:
I´m spendning my money on something else..

sepulturas666
01-23-2011, 08:10 PM
when you played old games did you bitch about how you couldnt save your game? probably not because we were so used to the fact that we couldnt save.

Old games aren't 10+hrs. Most of them are short.
Devs should put some effort on hardest settings - Zealot minus saves is lazy ass work dude.:)

DeekBoy
01-23-2011, 08:27 PM
Just did on the Collectors Edition:mad:
I´m spendning my money on something else..

you canceled your pre order because of this achievement?

Old games aren't 10+hrs. Most of them are short.
Devs should put some effort on hardest settings - Zealot minus saves is lazy ass work dude.:)

im just saying that it adds a little bit more difficulty and dedication to this achievement that will keep a lot of people who dont care from getting the 100% :D

CressDX
01-23-2011, 08:37 PM
[QUOTE=DeekBoy;3934405]you canceled your pre order because of this achievement?

Yes... I don´t have the time and patient for trials and error for a game that is that long.

DeekBoy
01-23-2011, 08:46 PM
Yes... I don´t have the time and patient for trials and error for a game that is that long.

that sucks that you wont give it a chance. this game is going to be amazing

Cloud1992
01-23-2011, 09:09 PM
[QUOTE=DeekBoy;3934405]you canceled your pre order because of this achievement?

I don't know if you read my previous reply on the bottom of page 3,but don't cancel your pre-order because of one achievement. I know Hard Core only gives you three saves,and from what I've seen and read on this forum you can go til at least chapter 5 until you use your first save. Plus,no one says you have to start Hard core as soon as you beat the game.
Remember.. Where the Necro's pop out,who your fighting,how you beat them ,and repeat..

If,I'm correct anyone who's played impossible on the original you didn't start it without knowing any KEY information about where the necromorphs were going to pop out. So,don't cancel it. I even heard they don't even hit as hard on Hard Core versus the original Dead Space on Impossible.

Rivercurse
01-23-2011, 09:17 PM
The bottom line is that this achievement is possible.

Guides will be written. Strategies will be found. DLC tank suits will be announced. Best times to save will be located.

The devs must have completed this challenge if they're offering it out to the rest of the world, and in my experience, devs don't have half the twitch skill of the players they create games for.

I think it's a GREAT achievement. I revisited dead space 1 this week and did my impossible playthrough only dying twice throughout, so I'm all set to give this one a go. :)

chaoschao222
01-23-2011, 09:59 PM
take LIMBO for example

I'm confused, did LIMBO have a hard achievement? I don't remember anything being difficult, wasn't it just collect the eggs, and beat the game with under 5 deaths? Is there a difficult one that I'm forgetting/was added?

EDIT: Whoops, didn't even notice a fourth page :P
Is 5 deaths even hard, once you play through the game once, going through the game with no deaths is simple, I did die once during that achievement, but it was because I derped out on the HOTEL sign timing X(

Then again, it may just be a personal thing for me...

SK L4xX
01-23-2011, 10:25 PM
I'm confused, did LIMBO have a hard achievement? I don't remember anything being difficult, wasn't it just collect the eggs, and beat the game with under 5 deaths? Is there a difficult one that I'm forgetting/was added?

Is 5 deaths even hard, once you play through the game once, going through the game with no deaths is simple, I did die once during that achievement, but it was because I derped out on the HOTEL sign timing X(

nah limbo was easy..dont know why someone came with it....and cancelling pre order because of one achievement is pretty damn pathetic...

Deathblow23
01-23-2011, 10:34 PM
The bottom line is that this achievement is possible.

Guides will be written. Strategies will be found. DLC tank suits will be announced. Best times to save will be located.

The devs must have completed this challenge if they're offering it out to the rest of the world, and in my experience, devs don't have half the twitch skill of the players they create games for.

I think it's a GREAT achievement. I revisited dead space 1 this week and did my impossible playthrough only dying twice throughout, so I'm all set to give this one a go. :)

...all of this quoted for truth...

Nevander
01-23-2011, 10:58 PM
This is a low blow from the developer. Taking out the mp achievements were a blessing because the mp is tacked on. However, replacing one good deed with a bad one is just sad. Defeating a game on a hard difficulty is an okay achievement (minus some call of duty titles) but it doesn't need to be compounded with a bunch of bullshit such as no saves, infinite spawns, etc.

I agree with this 110%. Why do developers insist on making achievements for the hard difficulties. I mean why? Why must they add bullshit like no saves, three saves, three lives, one life, infinite spawns, less ammo, this kind of crap. Harder difficulties should ONLY be harder to kill enemies and easier for you to die, but not this kind of crap.

I mean what the hell. Only three saves PERIOD? Or do you have three save slots and you can overwrite them? Or what?

This is stupid. I'm pretty upset now. I enjoyed the first Dead Space a lot, now it looks like I won't be enjoying the second one bit.

DeekBoy
01-23-2011, 11:06 PM

nah limbo was easy..dont know why someone came with it....and cancelling pre order because of one achievement is pretty damn pathetic...

Are people not reading the leaderboards. I brought up LIMBO because a lot of people thought the five deaths were too hard so they gave up, leaving them with only 190GS.

Rivercurse
01-23-2011, 11:07 PM
I mean what the hell. Only three saves PERIOD? Or do you have three save slots and you can overwrite them? Or what?

This is stupid. I'm pretty upset now. I enjoyed the first Dead Space a lot, now it looks like I won't be enjoying the second one bit.

Dunno how you could have read this entire topic and still have to ask whether it's 3 saves, or 3 save slots :confused:

I also can't understand why having an achievement such as this would mean you "won't enjoy the second game one bit"... Jesus man, you don't even have to try hard core mode if you don't want to. How in the hell is it going to ruin the game for you? You wanna play on easy? Play on easy..

PePzi NL
01-23-2011, 11:08 PM
How is it that ONE achievement screws up the whole game for you? I'm not happy with the achievement either, but I'm still going to attempt it. And if I can't do it, well that's too bad, I will have 950G in Dead Space 2 but it will still be an awesome game :)

Nevander
01-23-2011, 11:13 PM
I also can't understand why having an achievement such as this would mean you "won't enjoy the second game one bit"... Jesus man, you don't even have to try hard core mode if you don't want to. How in the hell is it going to ruin the game for you? You wanna play on easy? Play on easy..

1) The first one, I cheated so much and they helped me so much with Impossible, knowing they are gone will make it impossible for me now.

2) I want all the achievements, obviously or else I would not be here. Knowing it's harder upsets me because this is the type of game that I like and the types of games I like, I enjoy getting all the achievements, and I like for them to be easy to get. Now it's ruined for me. I'll still play the game and all, I may even end up getting the 1000 anyway, but I won't have a smile on my face during it as I was hoping I would have.

Rivercurse
01-23-2011, 11:18 PM
1) The first one, I cheated so much and they helped me so much with Impossible, knowing they are gone will make it impossible for me now.

2) I want all the achievements, obviously or else I would not be here. Knowing it's harder upsets me because this is the type of game that I like and the types of games I like, I enjoy getting all the achievements, and I like for them to be easy to get. Now it's ruined for me. I'll still play the game and all, I may even end up getting the 1000 anyway, but I won't have a smile on my face during it as I was hoping I would have.

So if there was a 1000g achievement for pressing "start new game", you'd be happier than you are with the current list?

You do understand you're meant to achieve achievements, right? Wheres the satisfaction in a high gamerscore if you've played 100 games like Avatar and NBA 06?

As far as I'm concerned I have no problems with games like DS1 having cheat codes available for use, but doing so should disable achievements because in your own words, you cheated.

Nevander
01-23-2011, 11:30 PM
I just don't understand why they took out the cheats. Why don't they just go and take them out of the first one too then? If someone wants to use them to get the achievement then fine, it's their choice. If someone wants to get it legit, again, it's their choice. The developer should NOT be the one to decide this. :mad:

Rivercurse
01-23-2011, 11:40 PM
I just don't understand why they took out the cheats. Why don't they just go and take them out of the first one too then? If someone wants to use them to get the achievement then fine, it's their choice. If someone wants to get it legit, again, it's their choice. The developer should NOT be the one to decide this. :mad:

It seems to me that the most likely scenario is this - When working out the DS2 achievement list they looked back at the way DS1 achievements were set out and discovered (rightly) that epic tier 3 engineer was the one achievement the majority didn't get.

However there were 2 ways to make it simpler:

1 - They looked at forum posts and found that the gamers who did get this achievement utilised the infinite stasis and infinite o2 cheats extensively, as well as the free nodes/cash, and the glitch whereby you can start impossible wearing a military suit.

2 - Some also/instead utilised the DLC heavy armour and weapons to tank up Isaac to the point where the hivemind could basically sit on him, bounce up and down a few times, and he still wouldn't die.

The difference between the 2 options is that option 2 makes them money.

They know achievements are a draw. They know gamers are crazy about 100% completion so they throw an uber hard achievement into DS2.
When people struggle to unlock it, they will have no way to cheat/glitch it. If they are that set on 100%, they will need to shell out the MS points for the as yet unannounced high level DLC weapons and equipment.

KuShNsTieN
01-24-2011, 01:02 AM
well all you mainly gotta do is play the game on normal/easy for the first time, enjoy the story and learn whats going to happen next. Once you get that down it shouldn't be so difficult planning where you save if there is no Chapter Checkpoints ( which i think would be ridiculous if there wasnt any)

Yaymez
01-24-2011, 01:58 AM
So far from what I can see, the two main points of frustration about this fantastic game are:

- A difficulty setting that actually makes you have to set aside time and strategize in order to complete.

- The fact that it is on 2 discs thus making people have to get up, press a button and swap Disc 1 for Disc 2, before climbing back onto the sofa.

Picard.Facepalm.

chaoschao222
01-24-2011, 02:02 AM
Are people not reading the leaderboards. I brought up LIMBO because a lot of people thought the five deaths were too hard so they gave up, leaving them with only 190GS.

Quoting the guide itself on the supposed "hard"-ness of it

-Estimated achievement difficulty: 4/10

Last time I checked, 4 wasn't considered very difficult, just because people on the leaderboard didn't do it, doesn't make it necesarily difficult to do...

NukeDukem
01-24-2011, 02:37 AM
i like the sound of this achievement. im literally nervous to try it, and i know there will be some moments of sheer exasperation, but its a bit different from most difficulty achievements.

like nightmare marine campaign on avp, this will be a proud one!

KingSigy
01-24-2011, 02:39 AM
This is really sad. You're canceling a pre-order because of an achievement. Just get the damn PC version. It's going to be better anyway and it won't have achievements. That's win win for idiots like that.

soliunasm
01-24-2011, 02:40 AM
I doubt that's going to happen. I mean the first Dead Space was hard enough on impossible. I don't wanna hear that it was easy...because some people don't like to admit they died more than 3 times or they messed up on a shot while on impossible difficulty.What I'm trying to say is the directors wouldn't just give us(The players) just THREE saves with NO checkpoints on Hardcore. That's just stupid.
Dead Space 1 Impossible WAS easy. It was like the normal mode, and if you used anything besides the Plasma Cutter or Force Gun you were doing it wrong. It was easy, plain and simple, and missing ONE shot wouldn't kill you. Hell, you should save Stasis for moments just like that.

Cloud1992
01-24-2011, 02:58 AM
Dead Space 1 Impossible WAS easy. It was like the normal mode, and if you used anything besides the Plasma Cutter or Force Gun you were doing it wrong. It was easy, plain and simple, and missing ONE shot wouldn't kill you. Hell, you should save Stasis for moments just like that.
So..basically your saying that anyone that died during an impossible play-through on the original Dead Space sucks when they shouldn't have because it was TOO easy ? No one's perfect. People make mistakes..so just because you can do it flawlessly doesn't mean everyone can. If,your gonna brag that's fine,but don't do it in this forum.

soliunasm
01-24-2011, 03:13 AM
So..basically your saying that anyone that died during an impossible play-through on the original Dead Space sucks when they shouldn't have because it was TOO easy ? No one's perfect. People make mistakes..so just because you can do it flawlessly doesn't mean everyone can. If,your gonna brag that's fine,but don't do it in this forum.
That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that Impossible wasn't at all what you make it out to be. It was what normal should have been. Nothing was unfair, Necros only took out 1/3rd to 1/4th of your health, and the only way to play it was to beat the game once so you should have known what to expect.
However, I agree that Hardcore seems a tad unfair, but that's what an achievement should be. Doing unfair crap that's balls to the walls hard.

NukeDukem
01-24-2011, 03:15 AM
what id really like to know is whether the unlockables from dead space ignition will be available on the hardcore playthrough? dunno if the suit is much use but there was meant to be credits, power nodes etc unlocked too..

soliunasm
01-24-2011, 03:17 AM
what id really like to know is whether the unlockables from dead space ignition will be available on the hardcore playthrough? dunno if the suit is much use but there was meant to be credits, power nodes etc unlocked too..
Probably, but I do see why you'd be worried. However, the amount you get from Ignition is probably insignificant.

H2O
01-24-2011, 01:15 PM
I'll give this a go but i'd of preferred it if they'd have gone for a system more like the original COD on the PC.

eg. 1 save PER LEVEL and no health packs anywhere. That was a challenge that didn't have me replaying hours of the game because of one little mistake.

EliteShadowMan
01-24-2011, 01:55 PM
I'll give this a go but i'd of preferred it if they'd have gone for a system more like the original COD on the PC.

eg. 1 save PER LEVEL and no health packs anywhere. That was a challenge that didn't have me replaying hours of the game because of one little mistake.

yeah but that would be even worse than what it is now...considering you will need to heal quite often in survival horror games.

H2O
01-24-2011, 02:22 PM
And you don't when you’re trying to retake Stalingrad with 5 bullets and no gun? :p

CressDX
01-24-2011, 03:08 PM
It would really suck if the game freezes when you are playing on Hardcore and haven´t saved... :S

JuSt BLaZe
01-24-2011, 03:19 PM
It would really suck if the game freezes when you are playing on Hardcore and haven´t saved... :S

Yeah, I'm thinking the same. That's why I hate such cheevos. Although I have the new Xbox360 Slim the game/copy itself could fuck up anytime. :(

EliteShadowMan
01-24-2011, 03:20 PM
And you don't when you’re trying to retake Stalingrad with 5 bullets and no gun? :p

touche!
10char

KriugerisLT
01-24-2011, 03:29 PM
It would be better if there were Chapter checkpoints. You can only save 3 times, but this allows you to save in a specific location during a chapter, for ex. if you need to go somewhere, or right before a difficult fight. At least this would be reasonable. I'm not saying that i will not try my patience at Hard Core, but i think the dev's went a little overboard with this. The game is about 7-9h long and only 3 saves. When i played Resident Evil 2, if you want an "A" rating you can only save 2-3 times, but if you know where you're going, and what you need to do it takes you about 2.5h to finish. Here it's a lot longer and not to mention that the enemies are fast and relentless AND smart sometimes, not like in RE2 where the zombies are slow as shit, and you can outrun everything without firing a single shot. Here you NEED to kill everything to continue. I think they should have left at least smth like chapter checkpoints as I mentioned.

TAI JASON
01-24-2011, 03:45 PM
I remember Dead Space 1...i think i die only 2 times in the hardest playthrough. Thats not the point. I don't use cheats...(i don't know they even exist). The point for is the time, i don't play this game 10 our in one rush. I got other things to do...

But i got the feeling there will be youtube videos with perfect runs, so if i don't get it by myself i just follow a video guide and done...

I remember i got the green/white Xbox suit in the first Dead Space. Was perfect to run the game on insane. That helps a lot...i hope the collectors edition suit is such a great one too.

And by the way...nobody from us make a single playthrough...maybe the game is much easier then we thought.

PYRO PERV
01-24-2011, 04:11 PM
It took me two years to get around too completing dead space for the 1000. So i reckon i'll get it eventually.

rapture23
01-24-2011, 07:27 PM
wow i wasn't going to post this comment but after going back and reading this thread I have this to say. Wow this thread took a weird turn. I for one will be beating this game on hardcore difficulty and i'm not going to be using my girlfriend, friends, or my job as a cop-out just because i can't do it.

I do care about my achievements and like dead space 2 very much so I want all of these achievements. I also have a life, a girlfriend, friends, and a job. If you do the math then you can see that it will take you about three 3 1/2 hour sessions to beat this game if there are only 3 saves for the whole thing. All this means is that people with lives will have to plan when they are going to play so they can play for 1/3 of the game at a time.

It doesn't mean we don't have lives it just means we have to plan a little more then someone who is unemployed,doesn't have a life, a girlfriend, or friends. what I mean is that if you don't think you can do it don't blame it on your girlfriend, friends, or your job. You can do this achievement if you really want to no matter how busy your life is.

Oh and I'm just wondering how someone could divide 10 by 3 and get 4 or 5. It will not take you 4 or 5 hours of play time for each save it should only be like 3 1/2 hours. Even if it does take you like 12 hours to beat the single player it should only take you like three 4 hour play sessions to beat the game on hardcore. It might seem alittle crazy to expect people to do this but if you don't want to do it no one is forcing you to.

MR2TURBO
01-24-2011, 08:50 PM
First off I am all for difficult achievements but I dont understand why achievements like this exist. I think all this does is cause people to go into blind ragers, getting pissed off, and getting annoyed to no end. Games I think should be fun and challenging all the way through. This i think is partly why people give Gamers bad names. Because we look like crazy people when we lose a lot of progress in a game.

I cant wait for something to go wrong with this achievement like losing 5 hrs of work because the game decides to lock up at a loading screen or freeze randomly.

Just a thought
Good Luck
to all that try for this achievement

skillful marine
01-24-2011, 09:00 PM
does any1 know when u beat the game do u carry over your character.

KriugerisLT
01-24-2011, 09:11 PM
does any1 know when u beat the game do u carry over your character.

Yes, everything carries over, but you can't play Hard Core on New Game+. It must be a fresh start from scratch. Would be a LOT easier if you could start with your equipment.

rapture23
01-24-2011, 09:14 PM
yes when you beat the game you can start a new game+ and at the first store of your next playthrough you get your suit and weapons from your last playthrough. looks KriugerisLT (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/member.php?u=350170) above mean answered this already but what it looks like to me is that hardcore won't be so tough after beating the game on normal then zealot and having all your gear upgraded. It does look like you only get 3 saves for the whole game though when playing on hardcore. It didn't say anything about checkpoints or auto saves after I beat the game. All it said was that I unlocked hardcore mode where ammo and health is limited and you only get 3 saves. I would think there is an auto save though or at least chapter saves. I won't be attempting hardcore until I beat it on zealot though. I haven't tried to play hardcore yet so i don't know if KriugerisLT (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/member.php?u=350170) is right or not.

KriugerisLT
01-24-2011, 09:18 PM
yes when you beat the game you can start a new game+ and at the first store of your next playthrough yo get your suit and weapons from your last playthrough. hardcore won't be so tough after beating the game on normal then zealot and having all your gear upgraded. It does look like you only get 3 saves for the whole game though when playing on hardcore. It didn't say anything about checkpoints or auto saves after I beat the game. All it said was that I unlocked hardcore mode where ammo and health is limited and you only get 3 saves. I would think there is an auto save though or at least chapter saves. I won't be attempting hardcore until I beat it on zealot though.

Didn't you see what i wrote? Your gear doesn't carry over to Hardcore, you need to start all over again from nothing.

Cloud1992
01-24-2011, 09:30 PM
Probably, but I do see why you'd be worried. However, the amount you get from Ignition is probably insignificant.
I do know that you get the Hacker suit, but that's all I know to my knowledge maybe power nodes(Doubt it though)

rapture23
01-24-2011, 09:43 PM
Didn't you see what i wrote? Your gear doesn't carry over to Hardcore, you need to start all over again from nothing.

Yes I get what your saying all I was saying is that I have beaten the game but haven't tried to play hardcore so I can neither confirm or deny what you said. I believe you though. That kinda sucks though. This will truly be a tough achievement.

Pollux42
01-24-2011, 10:28 PM
I was counting on gear carrying over. Now I'm nervous............

EliteShadowMan
01-24-2011, 11:14 PM
Why are people still crying about hard difficulty being hard? Get over it!

"i want my games to be fun blah blah blah" Simple solution! play on easy you pussy!

chaoschao222
01-24-2011, 11:15 PM
Oh and I'm just wondering how someone could divide 10 by 3 and get 4 or 5. It will not take you 4 or 5 hours of play time for each save it should only be like 3 1/2 hours. Even if it does take you like 12 hours to beat the single player it should only take you like three 4 hour play sessions to beat the game on hardcore. It might seem alittle crazy to expect people to do this but if you don't want to do it no one is forcing you to.

I don't get how people even divide by three... it's 3 saves, which means statistically speaking, breaking the game down into pseudo-fourths is the best thing to do.... that's about 4 chapters complete per save.

Obsidian Rocker
01-24-2011, 11:23 PM
I'll reserve my final judgement until I've played through it on normal at least once, but from what I've heard Visceral can suck my hairy, Scotch arse. They expect me to leave my xbox on and not save it since I have shit to do and can't just save it every time something comes up? They really expect me to run my electricity bill up for this cheap achievement? Kiss my arse

/rant

I love a good challenge as much as anyone (See Left 4 Dead 2 Realism on Expert) but when it's something cheap like this it could have been done better. For example

This is a good idea. It balances a challenge and difficulty with practicality. This is not practical, especially for someone like myself who's not gonna have a lot of energy or time for this since I work as a chef. gonna give this achievement a miss. Not worth the hassle. I'd rather get paid and be well rested in my day to day life.

Cloud1992
01-24-2011, 11:30 PM
Even if it did Freeze on you hopefully you used your third save at the end point of Dead Space 2 when your playing hardcore. I've had the original do that to me when I was fighting the Hive Mind on impossible(I didn't have it installed at the time which probably caused it to freeze) I really doubt this will affect anything because you'll know by memory where the Necro's will come and attack you you should be fine.

Ink129
01-24-2011, 11:55 PM
Some sadistic part of me is actually welcoming this challenge. I usually play games on the hardest setting since I enjoy games the most when they are challenging. This difficulty, however, may prove to be too much of a challenge.

Only time will tell, I guess, but I'm sure as hell gonna put in an effort to beat it on Hardcore. I maxed the first game and I would really like to max this game too. Although, a single achievement, or even 50 of them for that matter, shall not dictate whether or not I should buy this game. Dead Space is awesome and I am buying it purely for the fantastic gameplay. Who cares if there's a single achievement that I can't seem to obtain.

Go Isaac! :woop:

Dats Rayciss
01-25-2011, 12:00 AM
Even if it did Freeze on you hopefully you used your third save at the end point of Dead Space 2 when your playing hardcore. I've had the original do that to me when I was fighting the Hive Mind on impossible(I didn't have it installed at the time which probably caused it to freeze) I really doubt this will affect anything because you'll know by memory where the Necro's will come and attack you you should be fine.

No, using your third save right before the end is going to be extremely tough to do.

I am mid-hardcore run now (chapter 8) and it's not too bad, but I'm only in the middle chapters. I know from chapters 10-15, it's going to be brutal, specifically chapters 13-15 (3-level fights inside the compound with a brute on the bottom floor + being chased by the regenerating necro).

So far, I've completely powered up my stasis, PC and am working on my Javelin. I'm not using my all of the HP nodes on the rig yet, only to use them as "health packs" should I find a bench and come out of a fight pretty hurt.

Hopefully will have the hardcore run done by tonight/tomorrow and get the 1k out of the way, just in time for multiplayer.

Nevander
01-25-2011, 12:00 AM
Why are people still crying about hard difficulty being hard? Get over it!

"i want my games to be fun blah blah blah" Simple solution! play on easy you pussy!

It's called "I'm an achievement hunter who enjoys playing on easy but still wants all the achievements."

COLENBLOKER
01-25-2011, 12:10 AM
I have a theory of my own for this mode. I wonder if Hard Core mode will be playable on the easy difficulty since there is already an achievement for Zealot difficulty. I'm hoping this is just a mode where you dont have checkpoints but are allowed to play that mode on whatever difficulty you want. I could be wrong though, just throwing ideas out there.

Ink129
01-25-2011, 12:22 AM
It's called "I'm an achievement hunter who enjoys playing on easy but still wants all the achievements."

C'mon, you can't expect to obtain all achievements in any game on the easiest difficulty? There's very few games out there, where this is even possible.

Don't you appreciate it even more, when you finally succeed in getting a really tough achievement that you have worked hard for? I know I do!
And this achievement may be the one I'll be proudest of having obtained yet... IF I obtain it ;)

Dats Rayciss
01-25-2011, 12:39 AM
I have a theory of my own for this mode. I wonder if Hard Core mode will be playable on the easy difficulty since there is already an achievement for Zealot difficulty. I'm hoping this is just a mode where you dont have checkpoints but are allowed to play that mode on whatever difficulty you want. I could be wrong though, just throwing ideas out there.

There is no difficulty setting/selecting for hardcore. It's its own difficulty but I would say that it is comparable to normal, judging by necro aggressiveness and damage.

EliteShadowMan
01-25-2011, 12:42 AM

well cry fucking more. This isn't hannah montana retard, and i'm sick of you crying about this achievement. Like i said before, i'm glad it keeps noobs like you away from it.

DeekBoy
01-25-2011, 12:47 AM
Quoting the guide itself on the supposed "hard"-ness of it

-Estimated achievement difficulty: 4/10

Last time I checked, 4 wasn't considered very difficult, just because people on the leaderboard didn't do it, doesn't make it necesarily difficult to do...

ya i know 4/10 isnt hard at all but by looking at a lot of people's achievements, it shows that a lot of people simply gave up on the last achieve because they thought it would be too hard

you simply want it all handed to you! you might want to go play some 06 sports games if thats the case

Rivercurse
01-25-2011, 01:37 AM

Jesus, you're like a broken record Nevander..

Captain Picard says
http://andrewferguson.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/patrick-stewart-more-pewpew.jpg

Seriously, dry your eyes, suck it up, and go EARN this achievement.
Once it's done, you'll feel 10 times better about it than you would have done if you had used cheats.

Trust me.

Obsidian Rocker
01-25-2011, 01:44 AM
As a footnote: The elitist behaviour in here is really pitiful

ChaosTheory2
01-25-2011, 01:48 AM

It wouldn't be a gaming forum if there wasn't.

Lotus
01-25-2011, 01:50 AM
I can't wait for midnight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cloud1992
01-25-2011, 01:51 AM
Why do you even care first of all ?

Obsidian Rocker
01-25-2011, 01:56 AM
It wouldn't be a gaming forum if there wasn't.

Touché, my friend. Touché

Why do you even care first of all ?

I shouldn't even have to answer that.....*Sigh* Never mind. I was clearly in the wrong thinking people should treat each other with some respect. How stupid of me!

Cloud1992
01-25-2011, 03:16 AM
Touché, my friend. Touché

I shouldn't even have to answer that.....*Sigh* Never mind. I was clearly in the wrong thinking people should treat each other with some respect. How stupid of me!
I'm not insulting you. From what you said before basically said( Me just summarizing ) that the Great players of Xbox360 Achievements are complaining and worrying about an achievement. I can see if you'd get annoyed, and or irritated. This is probably not what your trying to say to the people in this forum, but if that is the case it's just the saves we get available.
In any other case I apologize for my rudeness. I shouldn't have been so rash.

KingSigy
01-25-2011, 03:56 AM
No, using your third save right before the end is going to be extremely tough to do.

I am mid-hardcore run now (chapter 8) and it's not too bad, but I'm only in the middle chapters. I know from chapters 10-15, it's going to be brutal, specifically chapters 13-15 (3-level fights inside the compound with a brute on the bottom floor + being chased by the regenerating necro).

So far, I've completely powered up my stasis, PC and am working on my Javelin. I'm not using my all of the HP nodes on the rig yet, only to use them as "health packs" should I find a bench and come out of a fight pretty hurt.

Hopefully will have the hardcore run done by tonight/tomorrow and get the 1k out of the way, just in time for multiplayer.

Aw shit, the regenerating dude is back. I hated that guy. Fuck me, lmfao. This is going to drive people insane. I can't imagine any guide not recommending you save before that part. It would be brutal to get 4-6 hours into the game and then this guy one shots you.

jsunkle
01-25-2011, 04:17 AM
t-minus 1 hour! ":)

chaoschao222
01-25-2011, 06:29 AM
ya i know 4/10 isnt hard at all but by looking at a lot of people's achievements, it shows that a lot of people simply gave up on the last achieve because they thought it would be too hard

Or it could be because they didn't want to play again, LIMBO doesn't have much replayability, so unless you're specifically going for achievements or trying to find a deeper meaning behind the game, chances are you'll have no real reason to go through it again...

Thicketford
01-25-2011, 11:32 AM
It reminds me of the A-Rank criteria for Resident Evil 2. 3 hours or less, 3 saves or less. If you wanted to unlock the gatling gun you had to beat the game without saving. I like a good challenge.

Dragonsss
01-25-2011, 01:41 PM
Hardcore modo (Impossible mode on Spanish version) finished last night.

The start is little hard, the fkng babys are a pain in the ass, but after the 4/5 chapter the difficult take sooo easy XD

MASS DOMINATION
01-25-2011, 02:06 PM
Hardcore modo (Impossible mode on Spanish version) finished last night.

The start is little hard, the fkng babys are a pain in the ass, but after the 4/5 chapter the difficult take sooo easy XD

why isn't dead space 2 on your gamercard then?

alexZ IT
01-25-2011, 02:07 PM
So is this "hardcore" mode a playthrough on Zealot setting with less ammos, less medikits and only 3 saves or is the difficulty like "normal mode" with the only difference to have less ammos, medikits and very few saves? thanks

Dragonsss
01-25-2011, 02:09 PM
why isn't dead space 2 on your gamercard then?

Cause i have played whit my jack sparrow GT ;)

On Europe the game arrive at 28 :(

So is this "hardcore" mode a playthrough on Zealot setting with less ammos, less medikits and only 3 saves or is the difficulty like "normal mode" with the only difference to have less ammos, medikits and very few saves? thanks

Hardcore is a complete New Mode, you cant use New Game+ on this.

The difficult is about normal/hard, but some enemys can kill you in a one hit only.

The ammos appears on 3 by 3, medikits little, mid, and big.

Only 3 saves, no checkpoint and cant use the "cheat" of save on HD and then on Memory Card

Obsidian Rocker
01-25-2011, 02:48 PM
The difficult is about normal/hard, but some enemys can kill you in a one hit only.

Beginning to sound a bit like the 7 day survivor achievement from Dead Rising. Not particularly difficult with the right preparation but very time consuming

JuSt BLaZe
01-25-2011, 03:08 PM
Beginning to sound a bit like the 7 day survivor achievement from Dead Rising. Not particularly difficult with the right preparation but very time consuming

That's what I'm saying, hehe. I just don't want get my game freeze after playing 4-5 hours without saving.

Jimbo1979
01-25-2011, 05:04 PM
I just finished my first play through on Normal. am not going for hardcore as the saves but I don't see to much of a hassle for you guys going for hardcore. Never saw anyhting that would cause a problem on a harder setting, BUT chapter 15. Good luck with that on hardcore. Not saying nothing else, but it was by far the hardest chapter. I have done a few COD's on veteran so if I say its hard, then chapter 15 will have you all throwing pads against walls on hardcore :)

Reason its not on my gamertag?? Because I quit xbox live almost a year ago. Moved console away from ethernet cables.

Cheers

HighIander
01-25-2011, 07:37 PM
can i use my CE exclusive zealot force gun and suit during my harcore runthrough?

Black Mesa Inc
01-25-2011, 08:11 PM
So correct me if I am wrong, but from what I am reading then NG+ now carries over to different difficulties? Or am I mistaken? That would be lovely if that was the case.

CONKER1182
01-25-2011, 08:20 PM
I wonder how many people will actually get 1k in this game now?

DeekBoy
01-25-2011, 08:22 PM
Or it could be because they didn't want to play again, LIMBO doesn't have much replayability, so unless you're specifically going for achievements or trying to find a deeper meaning behind the game, chances are you'll have no real reason to go through it again...

that could also be the case. i was just trying to use it as a reference :p
So correct me if I am wrong, but from what I am reading then NG+ now carries over to different difficulties? Or am I mistaken? That would be lovely if that was the case.

yes you can now, but not for Hardcore

YourBoyAl
01-26-2011, 06:42 AM
no new game+ for hardcore?

that's pretty lame, you might as well be able to go into from the jump instead of having to play through it for it to unlock

amir90
01-26-2011, 01:01 PM
Just a random question here, when they mean 3 saves, does it mean I can die as many times as I want? I am just limited to save at 3 different spots (e.g: chapter 3, 6, 9)?

Getting CE tomorrow :)

edit: I have played impossible on pc and 360 on Dead Space 1 and it was do-able, even though I got the feeling hardcore is more about less saves then the Necro doing more damage?

Impossible was easier on PC, because for some reason, I got the level 5 suit (not the military suit) when I started new game :p
Didn't happen on 360 thou..

FSparacino4
01-26-2011, 01:10 PM
Just a random question here, when they mean 3 saves, does it mean I can die as many times as I want? I am just limited to save at 3 different spots (e.g: chapter 3, 6, 9)?

I got the feeling hardcore is more about less saves then the Necro doing more damage?

You are correct on both accounts, sir.

M4EOzzy
01-26-2011, 04:55 PM
can i use my CE exclusive zealot force gun and suit during my harcore runthrough?

This is my question, not only CE Force Gun and suit, but they've already released three different DLC packs with armor and weapons. If one of these is particularly strong, I wonder if we can download it and use them in Hardcore mode? Might make it quite a bit easier initially...

Pearson
01-26-2011, 05:41 PM
Since there are 15 chapters, I'll play through until I can't go on anymore then save. So if I reach Chp. 8 or 9 when I get tired, then I'll use my first save. Then do the same thing when I pick it up again, but I foresee Chp 14 is going to be a bitch to complete with the non-killable necro on your tail.

Spike hostile17
01-26-2011, 05:42 PM
I dont know if someone already asked that question but I wonder if you can choose when you want to use one of your 3 saves, or if there is an auto-save at every quarter of the game ?
Because if it's up to me, it is gonna be a real dilemma to decide when I want to use one of my precious save..

DeekBoy
01-26-2011, 08:45 PM
I dont know if someone already asked that question but I wonder if you can choose when you want to use one of your 3 saves, or if there is an auto-save at every quarter of the game ?
Because if it's up to me, it is gonna be a real dilemma to decide when I want to use one of my precious save..

you get to choose when you want to save, the game will tell you that you only have so many saves remaining and if you want to use it