PDA

View Full Version : Kinect + xbox = RROD?

ashleary
01-19-2011, 10:11 AM
Morning guys n gals.

I've been reading some reports round and about that Kinect is increasing the chances of xbox's developing the RROD. Now in all honesty I'm a little bit sceptical about this but behold, last night I turned the xbox on and was greeting with 3 little flashing segments of doom :(

I'm wondering if my little Johnny 5 style Kinect sensor really has fell out with my xbox and done a number on him...

Just wondered if anyone else has any views/experiences etc.

Nozza XBA
01-19-2011, 10:14 AM
I haven't come across it yet, but since I got the Kinect I must of only played on it 3/4 times tops on my xbox!

I can't see how it'll increase the chances of it though? Is it somehow making the xbox work harder? I don't know!

Capn Doug
01-19-2011, 10:25 AM
If I had to hazard a guess, I would ask people where the power adapter is for their Kinect in relation to their old school xbox. The new slims don't get red rings and don't need the adapter. The adapter might be heating up, so if it is near the fatty 360, that might just have an increased effect. Kinect itself increasing the likelihood of Red Ringing? I would hesitate to say that is the culprit.

ashleary
01-19-2011, 10:27 AM
I'm not sure tbh. I assume there wouldve been testing with it long before it was released.

Perhaps it does make the console work harder? Again it could just be a coincedence but since Xmas (when I got Kinect) i've noticed slight flickers etc with my xbox every now and then. I just shrugged it off really, obviously signs my xbox wasn't a happy chappy.

Braiiins
01-19-2011, 02:39 PM
I also find it skeptical that it increases the chances of RRoD. I just think it's that time of the year when all the xboxs are more susceptible to getting sick, my brother just bought a new one because his arcade kicked the bucket (no RRoD but stopped reading discs).

kornfan2007
01-19-2011, 03:18 PM
As the kinect is powered of a plug on the old 360 I wouldn't see more power input occurring, which I would expect to be the main reason for heating xbox into a RROD. I would say wait a few months and see what statistics look like. It is quite possibly a coincidence as we all know they can RROD at anything

ashleary
01-19-2011, 03:20 PM
Yeah I'm going down the sceptical/coincedence route.

Still a pain in the ass though :D

Pyrochaos
01-19-2011, 04:26 PM
I think it's just a bad coincidence. Every time a new game or something comes out, you always see people saying "______ made my 360 RROD!"

This happens with almost every major release.

andami
01-19-2011, 07:22 PM
I actually can see this happening as the Kinect camera draws it's power directly from the Xbox 360 itself, if you own the Slim 360 that is. Sorta like how the fans that were supposed to prevent RRoD'ing, but in fact made it more likely because they drew their power straight from the 360 as well.

Capn Doug
01-19-2011, 08:19 PM
I actually can see this happening as the Kinect camera draws it's power directly from the Xbox 360 itself, if you own the Slim 360 that is. Sorta like how the fans that were supposed to prevent RRoD'ing, but in fact made it more likely because they drew their power straight from the 360 as well.

The Slims can't red ring. They don't have the red lights for one, and will shut down if they overheat to prevent hardware failure.

Pyrochaos
01-19-2011, 09:00 PM
Sorta like how the fans that were supposed to prevent RRoD'ing, but in fact made it more likely because they drew their power straight from the 360 as well.

uh, where do you get this information? Sound like BS to me.

Matt9340
01-19-2011, 10:00 PM
The Slims can't red ring. They don't have the red lights for one, and will shut down if they overheat to prevent hardware failure.

That is wrong, the slims CAN red ring, it even says it in the manual. Except it is not a "red ring" more of a red dot, where the green dot is.

OT:
I have not had any problems using my slim and the kinect. Grant it that it only has been used less than 10 times (at school not enough room)

and i think its best to go with skeptical route haha

Burd
01-21-2011, 02:57 AM
uh, where do you get this information? Sound like BS to me.

I had researched the Nyko Intercoolers for quite some time before purchasing for an original Xbox 360. The power supply scare caused a RROD scare and a possible void of warranty warning by Microsoft for someone having a unit. Because of this Nyko decided to redesign their Intercooler to have its own power supply. Despite this Microsoft will still ask questions and attempt to void a warranty even with this new unit. If you have an Intercooler, as I do now, beware the VOID.

With that said if the Kinect is producing more heat and causing a RROD, I'd rather take the risk with an Intercooler.