View Full Version : Need some advice
01-20-2011, 03:08 PM
Hiya guys, been using Kinect since release day and its fantastic, although I ONLY JUST have enough room to play in my living room lol. I bought the TV mount and fitted it atop my 40" LCD and it worked so much better!
Well today our new TV arrived, we decided to upgrade, and went for a 46" Samsung LCD, but the Kinect TV mount wont fit the TV!!
So for now it is back in front of the TV but I am struggling with space again. So I have 2 questions:
1) Is there any other mounts available other than the PDP one? Maybe a bigger one for bigger TVs?
2) Failing the above, I will need to wall mount it, but the way my living room is, it will need to be in the corner of the room facing out at an angle (to the right of the TV) would this work? or does it need to be dead central to the TV?
01-20-2011, 03:23 PM
it will work no matter where it is, however the point of it being central is so that the way you are orientated matches the character on the screen.
as for your problem, does your new tv not have a big enough flat surface ontop? what i did was bluetac mine onto of the tv as it sat quite happily on it and i put the bluetac to make sure it didnt fall. you could also make yourself a shelf?
01-20-2011, 07:16 PM
A couple options, none of them amazing:
1) put it in front and suffer. Or, use a Kinect floor stand ontop of any low lying cabinetry to get just a little more height (assuming it wont block the tv).
2) Rig the mount to fit the television with fishing wire. Its sounds hood and it totally is, but my friend did it and it actually works great. Just loop the fishing wire super tight between the mount and the screws and then fasten the screw. Again, totally not legit but its secure.
3) the mount doesnt have to be dead central to the television as long as you can remember that you need to face the kinect. Ours is off center by about a foot so its not noticeable at all, but ive never tried a whole separate angle.
I know those options suck. I would try number 2. Also, PDP (or whatever their name is) is supposed to be coming out with even more accessories and mounts for the kinect because, as you may have guessed, your issue is unfortunately not uncommon.
Fueled By RC
01-20-2011, 07:52 PM
I have mine sitting ontop of my Game rack. Sits there ever so nice about a foot and half off the ground.
My gaming area is only about 10 Feet wide and long. With a couch, TV and a Computer in there.
01-20-2011, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. I have sorted it, using a different method my brother in law suggested. A little extreme, but its fixed firmly.
We measure how much more room we needed with the mount. We needed it to open another 5cm than what it allowed. So we used a PVC drill bit and went to work on the mount and made more holes. The adjustable legs dont click in as firmly as they do the manufactured holes. But they hold. With the bottom of the legs screwed firmly to the TV, and the Kinect hooked over the top, it feels firm and secure. If the legs ever fell off, the Kinect is still hooked onto the TV.
Should the worse happen we bought aftercare for the Kinect when it came out so its all good. Thanks again.
01-20-2011, 09:05 PM
Wow, PVC pipe and everything. Thats like a whole construction project. Good for you man. You should post pics of the Frankenstein mount. just saying.
01-27-2011, 05:35 PM
contact an engineer?
vBulletin® v3.8.7 Beta 1, Copyright ©2000-2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.