PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo's disallow list

Tiamat66
06-14-2007, 08:45 PM
I was looking through some old game magazines I found in the back of my closet, and came across a list of things that Nintendo wouldn't allow in their games as of July 1993. Most of this list was thrown out once it gots it's ass kicked by Sega over the Mortal Kombat thing.

Religious symbols (mythological gods ok)
Heroes attacked from behind
Blood or Gore
Ethnic, racial or sexual stereotypes
Vowels in passwords (no accidental naughty words)
'Dead' in the title
Profanity
Drugs or alcohol
Smoking
Torture or excessive violence
Nudity (including demigods)
Overt political statements

Sega had a smaller list: flying blood and decapitation. Luckily, the almighty dollar won out over that shit.

twotonkoala
06-14-2007, 09:10 PM
I was looking through some old game magazines I found in the back of my closet, and came across a list of things that Nintendo wouldn't allow in their games as of July 1993. Most of this list was thrown out once it gots it's ass kicked by Sega over the Mortal Kombat thing.

Religious symbols (mythological gods ok)
Heroes attacked from behind
Blood or Gore
Ethnic, racial or sexual stereotypes
Vowels in passwords (no accidental naughty words)
'Dead' in the title
Profanity
Drugs or alcohol
Smoking
Torture or excessive violence
Nudity (including demigods)
Overt political statements

Sega had a smaller list: flying blood and decapitation. Luckily, the almighty dollar won out over that shit.

Heroes attacked from behind and vowels in the passwords? I don't get those at all.

Interesting list though, nice find. Amazing how things have changed, even since the SNES. Although, not really when, just like you said, the almighty dollar always wins out in the end.

Imagine how much games would suck without this stuff :eek:

CC99999
06-14-2007, 09:26 PM
Yeah, seriously...

If Grand Theft Auto had to live by these rules- it would be a free hand out from the Church of Latter Day Saints....

shadow sniper
06-15-2007, 01:23 AM
hahaha allmost everything on this list is on duke nukem.I think gamecube took most of the rules in there maybe thats y gamecube was so bad

Chojin
05-20-2008, 02:30 PM
hahaha allmost everything on this list is on duke nukem.I think gamecube took most of the rules in there maybe thats y gamecube was so bad

Resident Evil 4?

antnie
05-20-2008, 09:25 PM
I dont think any of those rules stand today in gaming. Good times, good times.

KRossKoWolf
06-05-2008, 08:59 PM
Ahh the worst of times in gaming, wait what am I saying it was awesome :D

BringTheRain112
08-27-2008, 08:21 PM
I'm guess the no attacking heroes from behind is not allowed because it is seen as a little cheap. I miss those days

phatstrat
12-26-2008, 07:19 AM
I never knew what the rules were but I knew they existed. It was a big deal that Snake had a pack of cigarettes in Metal Gear. That broke one of their rules. I am sure there were other games that had other items on the list. Was this just for games Nintendo produced or for ones on the system?

AcidGlowx81
01-17-2009, 11:55 PM
interesting.

RockstarSuicide
04-05-2009, 08:13 PM
The heroes getting attacked from behind isn't really enforced. Hell look at the Final Fantasy series lol

cORnDogZ
07-13-2009, 08:30 AM
Heh, I remember on Street Fighter 2 Turbo, once in a while you could get the other dude to spit multi-colored liquid(which I assumed was blood).

pynnokyr
02-23-2010, 08:24 PM
uh the gamecube sucked because of a lack of third party support if memory serves me correctly...

FigNewton85
03-30-2010, 06:01 PM
Yeah, seriously...

If Grand Theft Auto had to live by these rules- it would be a free hand out from the Church of Latter Day Saints....

Yeah...that wasn't really necessary, was it?

Anyway, some of the stuff they mentioned keeping out wouldn't really hurt video games...but alas, the dollar speaks.