PDA

View Full Version : Storage Wars

Jiga.Puzzle.5
01-23-2011, 05:12 AM
Would anyone happen to know if this show is a little "staged" or anything. I'm not saying it's fake, but they seem to find awfully good things left in those lockers. I just find it hard to believe people leave those great of things in storage lockers. Like if I left old guns,and electronics just sitting there in a storage locker I'd be damn sure to go back and get it before they sell it.

Other than that it's a great show,and who knows perhaps I'll go buy one. Or you know just drive up the price to be a troll.

Lemonlimes249
01-25-2011, 11:21 PM
i watch that show alot and i like it alot but i dont think its staged. but who knows for sure :uzi::Bounce:

http://card.mygamercard.net/nxe/lemonlimes249.png (http://profile.mygamercard.net/lemonlimes249)

JAW LV
01-26-2011, 05:13 PM
I think that some of the show is staged- I think the producers have some of the main characters re-enact certain situations like when the bidding starts they get all crazy just to add excitement.

However I think the storage lockers and contents are real, and that the people on the show really do buy them.

tayman5291
06-28-2011, 11:25 PM
I don't know if it is staged, but I recently just started watching the series and I can't get enough. Blows my mind on how much money they can make! :eek:

GrimSovereignty
07-02-2011, 10:19 PM
Yeah a little of it seems staged but overall I think it is pretty real. I want to participate in one of them one day and hopefully find something expensive.

CODLIVE
07-04-2011, 03:42 AM
I really think at least some of it is staged, I havn't watched a ton so someone who has correct me if i'm wrong but do any of them ever loose a locker to someone that isn't on the show? Because I don't think i've seen that happen... Also you really don't see them come up short (example) someone tries to drop a unit on someone else just so they lose money... But turns out that unit that looked like junk has (insert item here) that is worth 10 times what they paid for it.... It's just hard for be to believe

The show on spike called auction hunters is the exact same way but just follows two guys that work together ... They have a message at the beginning of the show that says they buy alot of storage units most are crap and these are the best... But that show I feel has some more obvious staging (example) they are loading a foot stool into their truck and it falls apart to reveal a hidden compartment containing a super rare gun....

That being said I would like to believe that these shows are real... I watch and enjoy them both but they make it hard sometimes.

lasvegaspinballhalloffame
07-11-2011, 05:03 AM
I doubt any of these shows are staged. The world is full of lots of stuff.

KFZ Scrubs
07-11-2011, 05:10 AM
I think some of it is staged.
I don't believe they keep some of those things in their lockers.

xYx VeNoM xYx
07-11-2011, 10:11 AM
Well, i actually do the "storage wars" for a living, so i can provide some insight.

While, im not saying the show is or isn't staged... Different things play into how everything on the show plays out.

Ex. This show takes place in L.A. And close by areas, so obviously there would tend to be better high value items in such a metropolitan area as opposed to Oshimingo, Oklahoma.

Now, i know from experience that their are multiple storage auctions weekly and daily, so if they went to all or most of the auctions they could PROBABLY find enough units to make an episode for that week.

Now, this is highly frowned upon and very unfair in the storage auction world, but its probably the most likely scenario for all the "good" finds on this show. What happens is the people that own the storage business are probably being paid to tell the contents of the building early, so the show and hunters have something to bid on with a "treasure" result.

Now, for real life the winning bids are rarely over 1k and if they are its normally tops at about 1500, so i assume the shows blows this out of proportion a bit.... I can tell you from experience for every 10 bldgs you get, you may have a great find(which is normally tripling your money). The show doesnt really show you what you have to do to make your money back, but you have to sell just about anything that isn't trash or worn down badly. Ex- my average buy is about 2-500 dollars, it'll normally consist of furniture, clothes and older electronics, i probably turn an avg of 200-300 profit in a few weeks time. Your best buys almost always have antiques or jewelry, for instance my greatest buy was a 60 dollar bldg with some boxes labeled shoes and a broken nightstand, the shoes were Louis V and the nightstand had 16,000 dollars worth of gold and diamond jewelry... The bldg wound up bringing me a grand total of 20,000 dollars... Because most people view thos bldgs as trash and a break even type of buy.

Thats my input make of it what you will!

RedEyeJedi928
08-09-2011, 02:01 AM
I think they are dramatic reenactments kind of like Operation Repo. Where its like they had a similar situation to the one they are showing on TV but they over dramatize it for ratings.

defiance ohio
08-09-2011, 12:24 PM
Well, i actually do the "storage wars" for a living, so i can provide some insight.

While, im not saying the show is or isn't staged... Different things play into how everything on the show plays out.

Ex. This show takes place in L.A. And close by areas, so obviously there would tend to be better high value items in such a metropolitan area as opposed to Oshimingo, Oklahoma.

Now, i know from experience that their are multiple storage auctions weekly and daily, so if they went to all or most of the auctions they could PROBABLY find enough units to make an episode for that week.

Now, this is highly frowned upon and very unfair in the storage auction world, but its probably the most likely scenario for all the "good" finds on this show. What happens is the people that own the storage business are probably being paid to tell the contents of the building early, so the show and hunters have something to bid on with a "treasure" result.

Now, for real life the winning bids are rarely over 1k and if they are its normally tops at about 1500, so i assume the shows blows this out of proportion a bit.... I can tell you from experience for every 10 bldgs you get, you may have a great find(which is normally tripling your money). The show doesnt really show you what you have to do to make your money back, but you have to sell just about anything that isn't trash or worn down badly. Ex- my average buy is about 2-500 dollars, it'll normally consist of furniture, clothes and older electronics, i probably turn an avg of 200-300 profit in a few weeks time. Your best buys almost always have antiques or jewelry, for instance my greatest buy was a 60 dollar bldg with some boxes labeled shoes and a broken nightstand, the shoes were Louis V and the nightstand had 16,000 dollars worth of gold and diamond jewelry... The bldg wound up bringing me a grand total of 20,000 dollars... Because most people view thos bldgs as trash and a break even type of buy.

Thats my input make of it what you will!

Thanks for the insight! I've often wondered how the showed managed to make every locker one of the main characters bought 'interesting'. It has to be staged to some extent for entertainment value, but your point about the building being paid to tell of the contents early makes sense. Either that or these people are buying a lot of crappy lockers and each episode is pretty much a 'best of'.

Regardless, I enjoy the hell out of the show :)

Venom, without answering in too many specifics, how is it making a living off of buying lockers/selling the merchandise in the shop? I was always curious about this, even before the show aired!

13ip0lar
08-12-2011, 02:04 PM
The show is staged to an extent. I found myself watching a marathon of sorts one night when I went to visit my mom and brother in Cali. It's much like the ending of Pawn Stars, but that you pretty much know is bullshit. The only time I'm sure it wasn't is when Chumlee took that ball on that antique bowling game, and shattered the glass scoreboard. I laughed my ass off when I seen that.

defiance ohio
08-15-2011, 12:16 PM
The show is staged to an extent. I found myself watching a marathon of sorts one night when I went to visit my mom and brother in Cali. It's much like the ending of Pawn Stars, but that you pretty much know is bullshit. The only time I'm sure it wasn't is when Chumlee took that ball on that antique bowling game, and shattered the glass scoreboard. I laughed my ass off when I seen that.

Pawn Stars is definitely staged, but I still enjoy the hell out of it. A buddy I work with visited the pawn shop a little while back and was speaking with one of the employees there. Basically, the "stars" are only there on filming days and they do choose the 'unique' items ahead of time. Not surprising really.

TheSuperTrouper
08-15-2011, 06:48 PM
the reason it may seem staged is because they only choose the good lockers to show on television. they arent going to show a storage locker that is a complete bust cause that isnt interesting

Jiga.Puzzle.5
08-16-2011, 09:17 PM
I think they are dramatic reenactments kind of like Operation Repo. Where its like they had a similar situation to the one they are showing on TV but they over dramatize it for ratings.

I don't believe anything about that show is real at all. I worked for a repo company for a few months when I got out of the Army,and never had anything at least half as crazy happened too use like they do on the show.

We had a gun pulled on us once your twice,but mace and a swift kick to the balls usually defused the situation pretty face.

jason83214
08-16-2011, 09:30 PM
I love wrestling

Shootemup972
08-17-2011, 01:03 AM
not a bad show but i think that theres too many storage war type shows on now.