PDA

View Full Version : What Will Be Your Approach To Getting All 1000 GS???

srf_1999
01-23-2011, 05:16 PM
I Love Dead Space And Got All 1000 GS On It... I Want To Get As Much Fun Out Of Dead Space 2 As I Can... So My Approach To Getting All 1000 GS Will Be To First Play On The Easiest Difficulty...Then With New Game + Get All Achievments Possible...Then Beat The Game Again On The Hardest Difficulty....Giving Me My 1000 GS On Dead Space 2:woop:

Jawsant
01-23-2011, 06:15 PM
Great idea!!!! I am going to do the same!

WaltXXX
01-23-2011, 06:43 PM
1st: Normal
2nd: Easy (going for the achievements that I missed)
3rd: Zealot
4th: Hard Core

II D0NUT II
01-23-2011, 07:11 PM
Zealot first then easy to mop up achievements and then hardcore to complete it :D

Rivercurse
01-23-2011, 07:17 PM
I've heard the difficulty curve going from easy to hard core is way too steep so I'm just gonna avoid the lower difficulties altogether. I think I'll start on normal/zealot, but I'll definitely be steering clear of easy.

srf_1999
01-23-2011, 07:41 PM
4th: Hard Core I Like This Idea Too but isn't it more fun or easier or maybe even better to play the new game + on easy? that way it's easy/fun to get all the achievments??? you think???

Eleo
01-23-2011, 08:00 PM
I regret doing Zealot on my first try... I got stuck at the last boss battle and had to turn the difficulty down. So essentially it was a lot of wasted effort.

By the end of the game I was really on the ropes as far as ammunition and currency went. The last available store before the final boss precedes a long gauntlet of foes. I basically ran past all of them (Altman be praised for Stasis) because I didn't really have any healing items. So I got to the final boss with no healing items and I kept getting my ass kicked... During the boss battle there are a lot of enemies spawning around you and I got hit in the back a lot. They attack from all directions and frankly I don't know how I could have done it without healing items. I only had the Plasma Cutter and I was simply overwhelmed. No matter which direction you face enemies will be behind you and hit you in the back. I don't think I could have beaten it, not without at least a few health packs. So after several tries I realized it was logistically impossible to win, so I just gave up and put the difficult down to Easy so I could beat the game.

For all of that I could have just played through on Easy...

Why did I start on Zealot, you ask? Thought I could hack it and save myself additional playthroughs... Didn't know I could New Game+ to any difficulty. And, I thought it would make the game scarier and more intense, which it did. (Also made it a lot more rage-inducing at some parts.) I mean easy is just that, really easy. When I finally beat the final boss I had practically full health. There's very little tension when you know you can get hit a dozen times and be fine, or when ammo is so plentiful you actually need to sell some of it off to have room in your inventory. And this is a horror game, so I was trying to be scared. (Amnesia: The Dark Descent really raised the bar on what I find frightening.)

So now I'm playing on Zealot again, this time with an upgraded Rig, Stasis, and Plasma Cutter. I also have the unlocked suits. I have more money available and should be able to make use of more weapons. So far the enemies are pushovers and having the ultimate Rig and a few more weapons at my disposal is making things pretty easy.

Replaying the game should cement all of the enemy encounters in my brain to make a possible Hard Core playthrough easier; although I don't know if I'll ever even attempt such a thing.

TL;DR version: Play on Easy/Normal first, then on Zealot with your upgraded stuff. And then Hard Core if you've got balls.

Zealot is truly challenging when you start with vanilla equipment and some parts are simply crazy. I don't remember DS1 on Impossible being as difficult as Zealot; if only because there were way less enemies coming at you and they got triggered way less often. I wouldn't recommend Zealot unless you're really good at video games at general.

srf_1999
01-23-2011, 08:18 PM
So if i play on casual first...then go to zealot...will it be new game + on zealot???

sepulturas666
01-23-2011, 08:20 PM
So if i play on casual first...then go to zealot...will it be new game + on zealot???

Yes, there is new game+ on Zealot.

FSparacino4
01-23-2011, 09:06 PM

The only difficulty you can't new game + is hardcore.

Rivercurse
01-23-2011, 09:09 PM
Helpful post there Eleo, my thanks.

Suki
01-23-2011, 09:39 PM
ok u cannot newgame+ on hardcore so u will be basically starting with unupgraded equipment so with that said im thinking that hardcore is not as difficult as zealot its just u have 3 saves making it very challenging i hope this is right becasue if the actuall enemy difficulty is harder than zealot its impossible with standard rigs and wepons.

ELITExASSASSIN9
01-23-2011, 09:54 PM
Gonna be a lot of starting over and over and dying to finally finish this game, sounds like its gonna be fun sitting alone in my basement til 3 in the morning everynight!! :)

MASS DOMINATION
01-23-2011, 10:01 PM
1.Starting on veteran
2.NG+ on Zealot
3.Then take on Hard core

aside from the limited saves/no checkpoints in hard core mode; the only difficulty increase over zealot is the ammo limitations. the necros damage is the same.

starting on veteran will provide a good challenge but will get me ready for zealot. After 2 playthroughs on the hardest difficulties i should be ready and have enough experience to do hard core mode with minimal frustration.
Other people seem to think that they can jump from easy to zealot or hard core. the difficulty spike is laughable for anyone attempting that.

KingSigy
01-24-2011, 02:46 AM
I regret doing Zealot on my first try... I got stuck at the last boss battle and had to turn the difficulty down. So essentially it was a lot of wasted effort.

By the end of the game I was really on the ropes as far as ammunition and currency went. The last available store before the final boss precedes a long gauntlet of foes. I basically ran past all of them (Altman be praised for Stasis) because I didn't really have any healing items. So I got to the final boss with no healing items and I kept getting my ass kicked... During the boss battle there are a lot of enemies spawning around you and I got hit in the back a lot. They attack from all directions and frankly I don't know how I could have done it without healing items. I only had the Plasma Cutter and I was simply overwhelmed. No matter which direction you face enemies will be behind you and hit you in the back. I don't think I could have beaten it, not without at least a few health packs. So after several tries I realized it was logistically impossible to win, so I just gave up and put the difficult down to Easy so I could beat the game.

For all of that I could have just played through on Easy...

Why did I start on Zealot, you ask? Thought I could hack it and save myself additional playthroughs... Didn't know I could New Game+ to any difficulty. And, I thought it would make the game scarier and more intense, which it did. (Also made it a lot more rage-inducing at some parts.) I mean easy is just that, really easy. When I finally beat the final boss I had practically full health. There's very little tension when you know you can get hit a dozen times and be fine, or when ammo is so plentiful you actually need to sell some of it off to have room in your inventory. And this is a horror game, so I was trying to be scared. (Amnesia: The Dark Descent really raised the bar on what I find frightening.)

So now I'm playing on Zealot again, this time with an upgraded Rig, Stasis, and Plasma Cutter. I also have the unlocked suits. I have more money available and should be able to make use of more weapons. So far the enemies are pushovers and having the ultimate Rig and a few more weapons at my disposal is making things pretty easy.

Replaying the game should cement all of the enemy encounters in my brain to make a possible Hard Core playthrough easier; although I don't know if I'll ever even attempt such a thing.

TL;DR version: Play on Easy/Normal first, then on Zealot with your upgraded stuff. And then Hard Core if you've got balls.

Zealot is truly challenging when you start with vanilla equipment and some parts are simply crazy. I don't remember DS1 on Impossible being as difficult as Zealot; if only because there were way less enemies coming at you and they got triggered way less often. I wouldn't recommend Zealot unless you're really good at video games at general.

Can't you just run back to the store? In the first game, you always had to ability to back track if you needed/wanted to.

Eleo
01-24-2011, 03:39 AM
Can't you just run back to the store? In the first game, you always had to ability to back track if you needed/wanted to.
Not really :( Like I said, there was a gauntlet of enemies between the final save point and the final store. So to go back to the store meant facing all of the enemies I had run past in order to save my life. There's also a particular enemy that cannot be killed entirely; he regenerates after some time like that one foe from the original Dead Space, and he pretty much follows you around.

If you've cleared all the enemies (assuming they don't respawn or anything like that) then you should be good to go. This was logistically impossible for me due to low health, no healing items, and low ammunition. Trying to juggle dispatching enemies, stomping their bodies, retrieving their drops, reloading my weapon, all while not getting smacked was just too much.

Also it may have been a mistake to rely solely on the Plasma Cutter. In DS1 it was basically the most versatile and effective weapon in the game, but I think it would have been smarter to invest in at least a couple more; I think certain enemies are designed in such a way that the Plasma Cutter is often not the most effective way to dispatch them. For example, those weird little yellow critters that writhe around on the floor and jump up on your back are much easily dispatched with the Pulse Rifle; it is a huge waste of ammo to put a Plasma shot into each one of them. Same with the children-Necromorphs that run at you en masse; they go down much more efficiently with "short, controlled bursts" from the Pulse Rifle. (There's also no "One Gun" achievement so there's no reason to rely on the Cutter exclusively.)

On the other hand I didn't really have all that much money to throw around to buy more weapons and certainly not enough power nodes to upgrade more than what I had.

This is just my experience, though. I'm sure there's some talented players who will take on Zealot and go "that wadn't shit!" but I for one got my ass kicked.

Dan.Pro
01-24-2011, 03:53 AM

Yeah, I will probably do the same thing as you. :D

ATCS
01-24-2011, 07:43 AM
Thanks Eleo, your posts were a big help before I tackle this game.

Dead Space Girl
01-24-2011, 08:32 AM
1.Starting on veteran
2.NG+ on Zealot
3.Then take on Hard core

aside from the limited saves/no checkpoints in hard core mode; the only difficulty increase over zealot is the ammo limitations. the necros damage is the same.

starting on veteran will provide a good challenge but will get me ready for zealot. After 2 playthroughs on the hardest difficulties i should be ready and have enough experience to do hard core mode with minimal frustration.
Other people seem to think that they can jump from easy to zealot or hard core. the difficulty spike is laughable for anyone attempting that.
That's what I was thinking, but am wondering how much upgrading you can get done on Veteran compared to Easy?

PePzi NL
01-24-2011, 09:05 AM

I was planning that too, but going to combine your 2nd and 3rd playtroughs. Mopping up on NG+ on Zealot it is :)

HELLSPWAN 88
02-02-2011, 08:02 AM
Gonna be a lot of starting over and over and dying to finally finish this game, sounds like its gonna be fun sitting alone in my basement til 3 in the morning everynight!! :)I realy dont think you will finish the game and get 100% on Dead Space 2 the first one almost made you shit your pants and thats why you would not even try to beat it on its hardest your all talk :D