PDA

View Full Version : 108 minutes of cutscenes confirmed, good or bad?

jamie1000013
01-26-2011, 05:51 AM
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107259-Dragon-Age-2-Packs-103-Minutes-of-Cutscenes

In this article it is claimed that there are going to be 103 minutes of cutscenes altogether. I for one do like cutscenes unless they are overdone like in Lost Odyssey or Brothers in Arms. I loved Dragon Age's Ostagar cutscene's they really looked fantastic and made the game feel more engaging.

So do you think 103 minutes of cutscenes is too much, not enough, or just right?

Edit: Sorry for the title there is actually 103 minutes, where the hell did I get 108 from ???? lol.

DOOKH8R
01-26-2011, 05:55 AM
Well it will truly suck on a second playthrough if they aren't skippable.

Cav Clayton
01-26-2011, 01:15 PM
Does any form of conversation you have count towards this?
And by that, I mean obviously the ones that aren't said during exploration/battle.

I'd also like to know how much the first one had, because unless there's a huge difference, I really don't see the point in making an article about this.

Nozza XBA
01-26-2011, 01:36 PM
Wait I'm confused..

108 minutes of cutscenes confirmed, good or bad?

Is 103 minutes of cutscenes too much?

Which one is it..? :p

Anyways, I'd say for a game like DA its ok.. I can't remember what FFXII was but I think it was around 100 or so! RPGs of that size are normally around that!

jamie1000013
01-26-2011, 04:28 PM
Does any form of conversation you have count towards this?
And by that, I mean obviously the ones that aren't said during exploration/battle.

I'd also like to know how much the first one had, because unless there's a huge difference, I really don't see the point in making an article about this.

Anytime I can't interact with my character I count that as a cutscene or maybe I haven't turned the game on. I don't think conversations count unless they do it in cinema view where it pans out and you can see each individual talking.

Apparently Origins had 61 minutes of cutscenes. I didn't think Origins cutscenes lasted that long TBH, that figure may include Awakening and other DLC though.

Cav Clayton
01-27-2011, 02:11 AM
Anytime I can't interact with my character I count that as a cutscene or maybe I haven't turned the game on. I don't think conversations count unless they do it in cinema view where it pans out and you can see each individual talking.

Apparently Origins had 61 minutes of cutscenes. I didn't think Origins cutscenes lasted that long TBH, that figure may include Awakening and other DLC though.

Ah ok, well cutscenes were skippable in the last one so I assume a second playthrough won't be tedious.

Opiate42
02-02-2011, 04:14 PM
I love Bioware games and their cutscenes really make the stories unfold but sometimes I want to be hitting buttons.

I can only imagine that those scenes are also tied to decisions made in the game, effectively doubling or tripling the scenes and we won't see them all in one run.

ViRaLuNdEaD
02-02-2011, 05:48 PM
103 sounds pretty good to me. I enjoyed the ones in DA:O, unless they didn't really add anything to the story. I'm kind of a stickler for not skipping them, but the option is nice.

TriRock
02-04-2011, 03:24 PM
You could fast-skip conversations and cut scenes in Dragon Age and Mass Effect, so I don't see why Bioware would change that pattern now.

I also imagine that those 103 minutes are spread over different moral paths and decisions so it's not as overwhelming as you make it sound.

Chizwick
02-08-2011, 01:58 AM
I love me some cut-scenes. I'll especially love them if the playable character actually SPEAKS in them. I'll just make sure that my X button works properly on my second and subsequent playthroughs.

Pieville
02-08-2011, 05:00 AM
As long as the cut-scenes aren't 50% of the game, I'm happy.
I don't think 103 minutes is too much, though it's definitely enough, as long is it doesn't deprive too much time from the game.

ImmortalLeoman
02-08-2011, 05:13 AM
I'm going to say it's not that big of a deal. Then again I did watch all of MGS 4's cut scenes.

surreal_82
02-08-2011, 11:21 AM
thats nothing, try a metal gear game, about 4-6 hours of cut scenes, but about 4-6 hours of gameplay too lol... which do you prefer, they could give 100 hours of da2 cutscences, so long as the game was long enough to make them valid, like 150 hours +

Whistler
02-08-2011, 04:29 PM
The more the better :) 108 min doesn't sound that much. If it was pre rendered movies it would be better but 108mins for a long RPG naa I want more!

grim0187
02-08-2011, 05:34 PM
Sounds just right and like someone else pointed out Im sure it will be choice driven and you wont see all of them in one game.

Philli Vanilli
02-09-2011, 09:44 PM
I think that when you consider that you'll be playing this game anywhere from 50 to 80+ hours, less than 2 hrs of cut scene material is perfectly fine. Without them you have an almost pointless RPG anyway.

Tsukasa117
02-10-2011, 09:27 PM
If they are epic 103 minutes sounds about right I mean the only game i can recall were cut scenes became almost redundant was the 1st Xenosaga.