PDA

View Full Version : Would anyone else kill to see MGS4 for the 360?

Lokstir
06-16-2007, 03:00 AM
There's been a lot of debate on this topic on the gamefaqs.com forums. Well more like a war between the Sony fanboys and Microsoft Fanboys that both love the Metal Gear Solid franchise. It's supposed ot be a PS3 exclusive but there have been rumors that Hideo Kojima was thinking of either solely releasing it for the 360 or making it available for both the 360 and PS3. And in the new trailer for it there was no PS3 logo in the credits at the end like there has been in the past trailers.

I really don't wanna have to pay close to 1000 dollars for this game. I will if i have to, but i would much much much rather it be on the 360 and have some mind blowing achievements, which it would knowing hideo kojima.

Wolf
06-16-2007, 06:32 AM
You know, I never really understood the appeal of these games. I beat the first for the PC, breezed past the second on the Xbox, and even bought a PS2 for Snakeater (And San Andreas, of course), but I still feel rather detached from them. The thing is, this Kojima guy is trying to make videogames an art form, with his outrageously superfluous and pretentious cutscenes that stretch for minutes, and the overall pseudo-esoteric, nerd-reference driven dialogue and even the static camera, letting the players know he is in control. But videogames just aren't an art form, plain and simple. I think these games gain appeal because that line gets blurred for a lot of people, perhaps from the works produced by the popular mediums (technically this should be media, but I want this word's meaning to be lucid) now, or from some other reason I can't fathom. Anyway, it seems like people fall into that trap and propel an average game to mythical standards. Say what you want about its importance to the stealth genre, but I never felt like I absolutely had to watch every step, lurk in every shadow, and kill as a last resort; it was not a revolution. Frankly, if it got hectic, shít got fired at. It still relied on those primitive game styles. I'd like to think of Splinter Cell as the only true stealth game, and now they're even throwing that away with Conviction (though that game will still be fine, it won't be a true stealth game any more, but will again cause that line between art and entertainment to be blurred). I feel a bit like Holden Caulfield pointing out every person clapping unnecessarily for the piano player right now. Kojima had his ego blown out of proportion with the unnecessary praise the games have received, and doesn't know how to respond appropriately. They're merely above average at best, nothing landmark, nothing essential. It's also really a niche series. I do think that it will wind up on the 360 when Sony finds out that Snake simply can't move consoles, only sell software for existing ones, and they can't afford to keep tossing money around at exclusivity deals. In an extremely long-winded conclusion to un-proofread, largely incoherent and unable to be fully understood babbling, I would not be upset if MGS4 arrived on the 360, but I do not feel that it is a killer app and would thus detract sales from Sony or boost sales for Microsoft. These are just my opinions, but I think that some may disagree. If anyone would like to discuss this further, please do so, because I need someone to fill in the void that exists between the popular reception of this game and my own.

Clipse 2
06-16-2007, 09:03 AM
Well its kind of like this; it all started around 2005 at E3 when Microsoft debuted the 360 to the masses. Normally E3 is a big deal where developers show off what they're working on and some closed door meetings take place. It just so happened that year that a lot of the meetings weren't so "behind closed doors". It was made very public very quickly that Sony had a huge chip on their shoulder, not worrying about third party developers signing agreements with Microsoft or Nintendo to develop games on their consoles. This was the beginning of the end for a lot of Sony exclusive titles (such as Devil May Cry and at the time MGS). Essentially Sony fanboy's can't complain, it was their own company that they are a fan of who screwed them over by not signing the exclusive deals, not the developers.

As for Metal Gear Solid I think if done well it would be great on the 360, however its not going to happen. Kojima Productions is working on some upcoming 360 titles but will not be related to MGS as they feel MGS is a Playstation only title. I'm ok with this in the end, I haven't liked the series too much because of the story-lines.

jabhwakins
06-16-2007, 09:17 AM
Well these options aren't biased at all. ;]

I couldn't care less actually. I played about 3/4ths of the way through MGS2 before growing bored of it and I bought MGS3 but haven't played more than about 30 minutes of it. I just can't get into the gameplay at all. Not my type of game. So even though I suspect MGS4 will make its way onto the 360 at some point, I won't buy it.

Cold Rival
06-16-2007, 10:05 AM
It's a hell yeah for me. I'm really excited about this one. I'm sure that the achievements will be awesome too! (If it get's released on the 360)

angry
06-16-2007, 10:08 AM
I have the whole collection of MGS series and i would love to see it come to the 360 BUT i ould not kill to see it on our 360's. So ref the poll i can't vote as i love the series but wouldn't kill for it.

MadDog2010
06-16-2007, 05:23 PM
I thought they were coming out with one. I read it in a Gameinformer like 2 or 3 months ago.

Segnius
06-16-2007, 07:29 PM
Well Wolf, I won't quote you because how much space that would take up :p but I pretty much agree with everything you said about the MGS series. Splinter Cell is definitely where it's at when it comes to stealth, and even though Metal Gear Solid came out first, I wouldn't even classify it as a straight up stealth game. It's decent, but very overrated. And I thought I heard somewhere that it was coming out for 360? Maybe just a rumor though.

housemdfan
06-16-2007, 07:32 PM
Considering I don't have a PS3 and have no desire to buy one for a long while, I would enjoy seeing MGS4 on the 360, simply because I have one and I would only have to fork over 60 bucks or whatever it'll turn out to be. IMO of course, but I'm not going to spend x amount of dollars on a PS3 to get MGS4, it's insane really to buy a console just for ONE game when I can spend the money I would have on the PS3 for however many 360 games.

Cpl MattBlack
06-16-2007, 07:43 PM
I thought MGS4 was coming to the 360. If everyone's not sure then this:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/a58390/metal-gear-solid-4-confirmed-for-xbox-360.html?rss

must be a fake. :(

Tiamat66
06-16-2007, 08:18 PM
I haven't played a Metal Gear game since the original on the NES. I could have on PS or PS2, but never felt the need to do so. Even if this ends up being a PS3 exclusive, it wouldn't bother me. I hope it isn't, simply because I'm sick of the uppity PS3 fan boys bragging about it. The only good game that the PS3 has that I want is MotorStorm. In the games race, the 360 has so many exclusives that the PS3 is already buried in over it's head. Almost all of the exclusives they supposedly had, have or are being ported over to us. I am not going to buy a system for just one game, and neither should anyone else. That just gives these companies more reason to get exclusive rights to games to begin with.

Lokstir
06-16-2007, 08:57 PM
videogames just aren't an art form, plain and simple.

umm video games can to be an art form. the same way that movies and music are an art form. seriously if you don't believe me just look at okami.

And btw the static camara wasn't in MGS3: Subsistence and if you think about the theme of MGS2 then that out of control feeling that you talk about is perfect for that game.

And this type of game you can play anyway you want. You wanna play it stealthy, then sneak around and break some necks. You wanna go crazy and shoot some genetically engineered super soldiers, then go shoot them. And if you breezed through MGS2, try it on European Extreme mode. And if the story is too much for you, you could either skip all the cutscenes or just play the multiplayer

And i have one question for you. Does splinter cell let you sneak around and place C4 on people's backs for you to later detonate from a great vantage point?

I believe the answer is no

nuff said nuff said

Cyrex
06-16-2007, 09:01 PM
I am going to get it easily, if they ever decide to make it for 360, i would be surprised if they don't though because they would be missing out on a lot of business.

i loved number 3, i never had it myself but i loved it, played it at my friends house all the time

TG3 HAVOK
06-16-2007, 09:06 PM
yes yes a thousand times yes. give me the knife and tell me who. mgs rocks

ThrillKillBill
06-16-2007, 09:07 PM
while i would play a MGS game I kinda think murder for any game would be extreme. therefore on the basis of principle i must reframe from voting in this poll. Unless your talking about killing in a video game, then i would pwn everybody i see until the game is released. I've never been a hard-core MGS series fan, missed a couple games altogether but every game in the series that i did play, i enjoyed somewhat.

SegaSaturnSNK
06-16-2007, 11:47 PM
Be nice for it to come out for the 360 but if it doesn't, I wouldn't care much. It'll just be like just like any MGS game.

COH ZAMORACK ZX
06-17-2007, 12:00 AM
mgs kick ass my favourite was snake eater i really liked the bosses

Lokstir
06-17-2007, 07:06 AM
im sorry i just think you're retarded. i dont understand how someone can claim that books and music can be art forms, but video games cannot. You sound like one of those dumbass congressman who aim to ban videogames from the world, etc, etc to save all the childrens

seriously did hideo kojima like sodomize your entire family? cuz it seems you got some beef with him. And honestly i dont really care. I, like many others, think that mgs is an amazing series, and yes i would gladly kill for it to appear on the 360. nothing you say can turn me from that stance. so don't try seriously, your use of the thesaurus makes reading your posts a pain in the ass. call me stupid if you want, i got A's in advanced calculus, not so much in english though, didnt find it important.

and btw that book is so much better on hard mode

Clipse 2
06-17-2007, 07:33 AM
Just about anything can be thought of as a form of art. Music, dance, paintings, computer graphics, gourmet food, etc.; what is art to one person is only a matter of opinion.

Frankly I'm surprised this thread has gone on this long, yes it would be cool if an MGS game came out on the 360 however there won't be one so why are we still talking about it?

Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima has confided that he considers Meal Gear Solid to be "made for the PlayStation," and that his Xbox 360 games will be all-new creations not based in the world of Metal Gear.

Sorry, Snake -- Sony pwns you
Bad news for Metal Gear fans -- from the sound of things, Hideo Kojima has no intentions of bringing E3 favorite Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots to the Xbox 360. Or any other Metal Gear Solid game, for that matter.

Kojima told Official Xbox Magazine that he feels the Metal Gear series is "made for for PlayStation platform." While his development studio, Kojima Productions, is working on Xbox 360 titles, these will be all-new games that are set outside of Metal Gear -- that's according to Computer and Video Games magazine.

Another interesting tidbit is that Metal Gear Solid 4 will take advantage of the PlayStation 3's online functionality, as well as the motion-sensitive controller.

http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=55468

Jdm
06-17-2007, 10:29 PM
I voted for no because I was never a huge MGS fan. I have played it and I think it's an overall great game, but would I like to see it available for the 360? Eh, doesn't matter to me. It'll matter to Sony more than anyone. That would be a "low-blow" to them.

Lokstir
06-18-2007, 01:31 AM
Just about anything can be thought of as a form of art. Music, dance, paintings, computer graphics, gourmet food, etc.; what is art to one person is only a matter of opinion.

Frankly I'm surprised this thread has gone on this long, yes it would be cool if an MGS game came out on the 360 however there won't be one so why are we still talking about it?

look at the date of the article you posted. 05/15/2006. That's over a year ago. Things do change every once in a while. And lately (as in the past cpl months) more and more speculation has appeared of it being brought to the 360.

Honkymagoo
06-18-2007, 01:37 AM
Well it's not the end of the world if it doesn't come over because my cousin has a PS3 which I intend to steal from him when MGS4 comes out.

Clipse 2
06-18-2007, 03:44 AM
look at the date of the article you posted. 05/15/2006. That's over a year ago. Things do change every once in a while. And lately (as in the past cpl months) more and more speculation has appeared of it being brought to the 360.
You're right thats my fault it is an old article, yet show me one that isn't a rumor then we can discuss if it'll actually be made. Nothing is guaranteed they say it'll come out, produce a ton of hype and yet nothing. What happened to Starcraft: Ghost, Frame City Killer, or even the Halo movie. We could flood the boards with what ifs, but its a waste.

Spartan
06-18-2007, 12:05 PM
Any post from here on out that doesn't talk about MGS4 and only MGS4 gets something special. And I can say that you probably won't be happy with it. ;)

I deleted all the trash, keep this thread on topic!

fatces
06-18-2007, 03:20 PM
yup, i love to see MGS4 on the 360, i loved MGS3 (one of the best games i've ever played) so i'm hoping MGS4 will be better, and if it doesnt come to 360 i'll have to buy a ps3;)

Roflcoptered
06-18-2007, 03:29 PM
i voted no just because i absolutely suck at stealth games. if i hated splinter cell, then i will for sure hate MSG4.:(

Master Duke
06-25-2007, 08:12 AM
SUre why the hell not, Make one for the 360. If it feels good DO IT :D

|oneyedNewb|
06-25-2007, 11:06 AM
er i wouldn't kill for one, but i would love to see it on there...

quite a fan of metal gear.

Zef
06-25-2007, 11:23 AM
Metal Gear Solid has been one of the greatest gaming series to date, the only downside was that it stuck (almost) to a single platform. The most recent two games (if you include 4) are exclusive to the playstation, but if they crossed over to the 360 it would gain even more popularity.

I never played the third game because it was on the PS2, if the fourth one stays exclusive to the PS3 then I definately won't play it. Luckily Kojima-san has said that he wanted to do work on the 360, hopefully he will put on his work gloves and knock up a version for us or even come up with a whole new game just for the 360.

Join the winning side Hideo, it is what Big Boss would have wanted.

DeW222
06-25-2007, 05:22 PM
I'm a HUGE fan of Metal Gear games. I'm actually one of the few people out there who likes MGS2, thought the story was very interesting. I'm actually still crossing my fingers that MGS4 slips as an exclusive, much like so many other of Sony's previous exclusives.

KewlBrettC
06-25-2007, 05:46 PM
I dont like MGS so... no i would not kill for them

Yoshi6107
06-25-2007, 05:52 PM
I'm actually one of the few people out there who likes MGS2, thought the story was very interesting.

One of the FEW, really? Well... I suppose I'm one of them as well, I pretty much LOVED MGS2.

KewlBrettC
06-25-2007, 06:01 PM
One of the FEW, really? Well... I suppose I'm one of them as well, I pretty much LOVED MGS2.

really? well mgs2 was the one i tried to get into and didn't like it...... and i played the one for the psp too and didn't like it.....

Velham
06-25-2007, 06:53 PM
I would love to see MGS4 on the 360 b/c i don't want to waste the money on the PS3.

deathbypig37x
06-25-2007, 08:21 PM
Metal Gear would be cool on the 360, but that's not why I voted yes. i voted yes, becuase if MGS4 did appear on the 360, PS3 owners would have next to no bragging rights.(With DMC4 and other various previous playstaion-only titles, coming to the 360)