PDA

View Full Version : Tony Hawk 9: Proving Grounds

MadDog2010
06-16-2007, 08:12 PM
I'm sorry, but i looked and could not find any information or threads on this, so i'm putting it in the games forum.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/sports/tonyhawksprovingground/news.html?sid=6172539&tag=topslot;title;2

Tony Hawk looks like it is still going strong. :)

housemdfan
06-16-2007, 09:40 PM
I wasn't a huge fan of Project 8. Dunno how they can keep this franchise going. It's only for 10 year old wannabe skaters now. >.> (Yes, I was one of those when I first played. And I still only play the games because I can't skateboard irl, and not for lack of trying)

bro im a G
06-16-2007, 09:53 PM
:confused:^
I skate in real life and I still play this game...I'm not a great skater but I play this game because i can do things here that no one can do in real life.(i.e. a line through the whole world.)
By the way I'm about 8 years older than the average Tony hawk player...(based on your comment)

Ghost x360a
06-17-2007, 02:36 AM
I used to play the Tony Hawk games until P8 came out. I didnt really get it to it as much as the other games in the franchise. I would say, wait for SKATE to come out.

housemdfan
06-17-2007, 02:40 AM
:confused:^
I skate in real life and I still play this game...I'm not a great skater but I play this game because i can do things here that no one can do in real life.(i.e. a line through the whole world.)
By the way I'm about 8 years older than the average Tony hawk player...(based on your comment)

It was only an opinion really. I only played Project 8 for the measly achievements I could grab up. I had no statistics backing up what I said. I was told that the physics of the game were supposed to be better, maybe I got that confused with Skate??

Wolf
06-17-2007, 04:38 AM
Good God, why don't they just call it Tony Hawk 2008?

housemdfan
06-17-2007, 04:44 AM
Re-reading this article, it seems like they're trying to innovate how you play the game (literally). I particularly like these fourparagraphs:

"You'll begin the game as an unknown skater in Philadelphia and begin to work your way up the ranks. How you do that is up to you because Proving Ground is going to be a lot more flexible in the storytelling department than any of its predecessors. That's because there are three classes of skaters in the game: hardcore, riggers, and career. Hardcore skaters skate for the thrill of it; they don't care about trophies or accolades. Riggers are innovators that like to transform everyday environments into skateboarding challenges or perform a trick that's never been done before. Finally, there's the career class, which is made up of professional skaters who are looking for sponsors and a paycheck.

Each class has its own mechanics, story, plot twists, pros, abilities, upgrades, and skills. However, you don't just sign up for a class. Instead, each class also has its own goals and challenges. If you accomplish more rigger goals, you'll align yourself more and more with the riggers. However, there's nothing to keep you from stopping your progression in one class and pursuing missions in others at any time. There are nine episodes in the game that can be played in any order, along with more than 80 cutscenes, which gives you a good idea of how much story is packed into Proving Ground. "Depending on how you choose to skate in the game, it will change what your ultimate goal is going to be," said lead designer Chad Findley.

Aside from being large, the other cool thing about the virtual world is that you can go online. For example, if you're skating around virtual Philly and see a phone booth, you can go all Matrix and pick up the phone to find all the different online game types that are going on in the city at that moment. These include familiar modes, like walls, as well as new modes, like 8-player Horse.

Then there's your skater lounge, which is sort of a giant trophy room, but it's the size of a warehouse. Every time you win a challenge, a piece of it shows up in your trophy room, and you can personalize the room with unlocks or different themes. This is a cool place where you and your friends can just hang out online, skating around."

fullblown
06-17-2007, 06:17 AM
i like the tony hawk games because i like the challenge they hold and the hard unlockable achievements this one looks like it might jus blow my away

sawman90
06-18-2007, 07:09 PM
I like the old school Tony Hawk games but the new one just "Suck" really bad.. I hate how they try to put stuff from the first tony hawk games into the new ones

SevenFisher
06-18-2007, 08:42 PM
I like the old school Tony Hawk games but the new one just "Suck" really bad.. I hate how they try to put stuff from the first tony hawk games into the new ones

I thought Tony Hawks American Wasteland & Project 8 isn't too bad, and P8 felt like THPS3 in some ways (IMO though, and THPS3 is still best in series IMO. *I never got chance to play THPS1/2*)

Still, I'd admit Tony Hawks aren't what they used to be. I remember I've spend alot of hours on THPS3, and love every single moment of it. On THAW, I quite liked it but it feels chunky & looks uglier than THPS3, as of THP8 the requirements for SICK difficulties are too ridiculous for me >_>;;

I hope Tony Hawks 9 will be good, but I don't think I'll be getting it at full price. Maybe when it's cheap or something...

InSoMnIaC_190
06-18-2007, 09:44 PM
I cannot wait for SKATE myself but I will still buy all TH games like the sucker that I am.

mike21878
06-18-2007, 10:11 PM
The tony hawk games are made for simple fun. It's not going to have the depth that something like Mass Effect or Oblivion has. Just play it, sell it and move on.