PDA

View Full Version : Collectibles Help

D4Brawler
02-01-2011, 05:01 PM
Can u get all of them while playing hard or some u can only get playing threw nightmare. And is nightmare difficulty really hard?

Starlight126
02-01-2011, 08:10 PM
You can gett all the collectibles except the last pages of the manuscript; those pages are only available on Nightmare mode, and have a particular sign in the manuscript lists ingame. The other, most, 91 pages, and all the other collectibles can be got on either Normal or Hard, but Normal is actually more adviceable since you don't need to play on Hard in order to unlock Nightmare, and playing on Normal your collectible run will make it easier.

It could be a bit shocking to play on Nightmare if you start your first game on Normal, because Normal basically requires half as much bullets to defeat an enemy, and much less light, than Hard; and Nightmare requires more effort and bullets than Hard itself of course, so if you make your first run of the game on Hard you may not find Nightmare particularry difficult (I barely noticed the difference, most of all because of the light required by each Taken), but if you start on Normal and get used to its easy gameplay, then Nightmare will probably be troublesome, at least at first. Actually, compared to Hard it's not a big deal anyway, most of all if you get used to the idea of making a massive item conservation whenever possible, and abuse of the checkpoints which will despawn the enemies. Hunting collectibles on Nightmare is IMHO a bad idea, because many of them will lead you to paths with extra enemies, and some (like opening a lot of the chests) will trigger new spawns of Takens. Overall, the best way to deal with Nightmare run is making a speedrun on it, litterally since you'll have to speed up and run a lot if you don't want to waste precious bullets (and patience) on fights you can avoid.

Perasnovitch
02-02-2011, 11:38 AM
You can gett all the collectibles except the last pages of the manuscript; those pages are only available on Nightmare mode, and have a particular sign in the manuscript lists ingame. The other, most, 91 pages, and all the other collectibles can be got on either Normal or Hard, but Normal is actually more adviceable since you don't need to play on Hard in order to unlock Nightmare, and playing on Normal your collectible run will make it easier.

It could be a bit shocking to play on Nightmare if you start your first game on Normal, because Normal basically requires half as much bullets to defeat an enemy, and much less light, than Hard; and Nightmare requires more effort and bullets than Hard itself of course, so if you make your first run of the game on Hard you may not find Nightmare particularry difficult (I barely noticed the difference, most of all because of the light required by each Taken), but if you start on Normal and get used to its easy gameplay, then Nightmare will probably be troublesome, at least at first. Actually, compared to Hard it's not a big deal anyway, most of all if you get used to the idea of making a massive item conservation whenever possible, and abuse of the checkpoints which will despawn the enemies. Hunting collectibles on Nightmare is IMHO a bad idea, because many of them will lead you to paths with extra enemies, and some (like opening a lot of the chests) will trigger new spawns of Takens. Overall, the best way to deal with Nightmare run is making a speedrun on it, litterally since you'll have to speed up and run a lot if you don't want to waste precious bullets (and patience) on fights you can avoid.

I didn't even started Nightmare yet and I'm bored to death. Second playthru and getting some collectible, I just noticed I missed the thermos at the end of the 1st level, at the very very end near a tunnel. Will need to play again, yeah.....Fuck AW.

700/1500.

Need thermos, manuscript, boxes, can of liquor and sign and doing one mission in 30 minutes and less.

I'm following one guide to get all thermos and then will do the other collectible. I know its lame and I will only have to play another playthru for the rest of the sign, chests, manuscript and shit like that. Before March, I hope I will be over with that crappy, boring gameplay game.

Nightmare doesn't look that hard because the ratio of 2.4 means its pretty easy but the way you said it I'm already facepalming. I hate fighting the taken so much.

I think I'll start Blur and Stranglehold to take a break of AW...I usually play one game and finish it before playing another one but AW is just too boring... Every achievement whore friend I have are saying I'm crazy the game is suppose to be great but they didnt played it yet even if they buyed it.

The multiple collectible and lame combat are killing this game.

Wortsenawl
02-02-2011, 12:22 PM
I am dreading the fact that I have 1 thermos to go. I like Alan Wake, but the thought of hunting down a single thermos with a flashlight is not something I look forward to. I do wish they had added a chapter breakdown of collectibles as they did with Radios and Manuscripts.

I think I'll start Blur and Stranglehold to take a break of AW....

Off topic: In response to this. I recently 1kd stranglehold... you will be tearing your hair out on hard boiled. Ignore any guide that says 3 / 10. Somewhere between 8 and 9 is more realistic. Also, if 100% is your goal, bear in mind that the DLC is way overpriced at 1200 ms points for the last 250.

If you want some help boosting the ranked matches then let me know. I don't mind helping out as the online is a little sparse.

Starlight126
02-02-2011, 01:12 PM
I am dreading the fact that I have 1 thermos to go. I like Alan Wake, but the thought of hunting down a single thermos with a flashlight is not something I look forward to. I do wish they had added a chapter breakdown of collectibles as they did with Radios and Manuscripts.Reeeeeaally? The gorgeous gameplay isn't appealing to you?
The odds you've missed the same as I did are 1/100, but try to check if you got the thermos in Episode 5 behind the counter of the dining place, where Rose used to stay at the beginning of the game; I totally skipped that thermos. Also, use a VIDEO walkthrough to be sure you're looking in the correct spot; there's one clear and complete one on youtube, as usual, Episode by Episode. Use the video guide along with the text one provided here on this board, it'll save you the time to check forever the videos if you read a spot you're sure you got it (still, always re-check to be very sure about it). Episode 6 might also be a place where you may have missed some thermoses (the only one actually) since you may have done the gunless run and therefore had to run away quickly forgetting to pick up the bastard blue thing.

@Perasnovitch: signs and chests aren't so terrible. In particular, signs are always on your main way and won't trigger extra Taken spawns, so it's ok if you leave them for your Nightmare run. But chests...I highly advice you to get them on a Normal/Hard run, because a lot of them trigger extra spawns of Takens and extra frustration. Manuscripts are easy to track since there are many google links which will provide you the manuscript in the order as they appear ingame, you know the titles, you know where to search for them and anyway most of them are on the main path. Just try not to pick stuff randomly by your own and "then I'll clear the rest with a guide" because this is the worst mistake anyone could ever do on this game, in particular with those thermoses. Signs, chests and manuscripts will appear again every playthrough, just as the TVs and the Radios. The hardest to spot, to find, to get to, aka the thermoses, won't: great work, it must have taken 3 of the 4 years to come up with this brilliant idea.

Regardless of the ratio, this game is actually rather strange. I'm still surprised to see how many people got all those thermoses, how many people finished it on Nightmare. I don't find Nightmare difficult less annoying than other achievements which are much less popular. Probably the key lies in the type of difficult this game has and how much fanboys feel cool at playing this Alan Wake. Probably they feel "omg look at me, I ain't any scared of this game, I'm sooo cool and daaaark" or something like that, and then they play a Nightmare, uuuuuh! And the usual stuff which pushes the fanboys. Then there are some achievement whores, and then some people who naturally play the game on its hardest settings, but honestly I see no replay value in the game, once you know the story which is the only purpose for I'd buy this game if I could travel back in time. Of course this means nothing to fanboys because they'll always like playing again until nausea; which is ok, everyone has his own tastes, and it's cool until everyone keeps in mind that liking or disliking is a personal matter, but there are flaws which just can't get filtered with the "point of view" excuse, they're just a clear evidence for everyone to be aware.
Basically, all the difficult consists in sticking in your mind that you're just a watcher who has to run as much as possible to trigger the next cutscene and checkpoint, and fighting has to be limited to the least. Trying again is always ok because checkpoints are really common and therefore you can always try 10 times the same session without having to fight, until you manage to get all the dashes you need and reach the checkpoint with that little last red pixel of health which is however enough to survive and restore under the light. The game itself isn't that difficult after all, but if you mean to play it like if it was a game, you're gonna have a bad time with it; and I had a terrible time with it. Then I gave up on Nightmare and started just speedrunning to finish the last achievement and screw this piece of crap forever. This meant doing almost all the stages with the flashlight alone, using the increased beam for a fraction of second on each enemy, turn and run; when Alan is tired, light on everyone again while step-backing still going to your next checkpoint, then run again. Once flares are available, you use them in particular long paths or danger situations and you'll be fine.
I know how it feels to play a game with that heavy sense of indigestion "oh it's true, I still have to finish Alan Wake", but keep at it. And try to maximise your runs, because it's better if you play the least possible. Consider the option of getting the DLCs too, as they're a decent break and have imho a better gameplay -- always just as bad as the main game's uh, but you don't have to "fight" the Takens as much as there as there'll be cheaper ways of dealing with them. Each DLC is as long as an Episode, and both of them require a deathless run, which is doable; the collectibles there are much easier (there's still a good 26 of them together, 16+10) and might give you a bit of sprint and courage to playing the main story again. And no need to play on Nightmare there, Normal can earn you everything.

Wortsenawl
02-02-2011, 01:21 PM
Reeeeeaally? The gorgeous gameplay isn't appealing to you?

I kinda new that was coming...heheheh.

The odds you've missed the same as I did are 1/100, but try to check if you got the thermos in Episode 5 behind the counter of the dining place, where Rose used to stay at the beginning of the game;

I have this one... I remember that one being picked up when I went for the jukebox achievement.

Just try not to pick stuff randomly by your own and "then I'll clear the rest with a guide" because this is the worst mistake anyone could ever do on this game, in particular with those thermoses

Guilty as charged your honour! :(

and then some people who naturally play the game on its hardest settings

This is me and the fact I like to 100% a game (if I am able)

Perasnovitch
02-02-2011, 07:41 PM
I am dreading the fact that I have 1 thermos to go. I like Alan Wake, but the thought of hunting down a single thermos with a flashlight is not something I look forward to. I do wish they had added a chapter breakdown of collectibles as they did with Radios and Manuscripts.

Off topic: In response to this. I recently 1kd stranglehold... you will be tearing your hair out on hard boiled. Ignore any guide that says 3 / 10. Somewhere between 8 and 9 is more realistic. Also, if 100% is your goal, bear in mind that the DLC is way overpriced at 1200 ms points for the last 250.

If you want some help boosting the ranked matches then let me know. I don't mind helping out as the online is a little sparse.

Yeah, I will let you know for the online thing. I dunno if I will buy the DLC or not yet, its very expensive and since the release they never dropped out the price, but It will depend if I enjoy the game that much.

Hard Boiled isn't that bad imo. I have 2 friends who finished it and I'm much better than them at shooter game, should be a cakewalk. He told 2-3 level are a bit a pain, I guess it depend on the skills factor.

Patience is the key in shooter and I'm good with that.

Better than collecting shitload of items and replaying 4-5 playthrough.

Add me on Xbox Live if you want to keep in touch.

Wortsenawl
02-03-2011, 09:45 AM
Damn this Alan Wake game, damn it straight to the dark place! I went through a second playthrough on normal to collect all items and while I fully expect a missing thermos or two (my own fault). The 25 signs I do not expect to miss. I read and checked EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM as I played and at the end 24 / 25. I even checked I was reading the right signs, just in case, by watching a You Tube video so I know I read them all. Playthrough 3 (on nightmare) coming... it will be interesting to see which one it 'thinks' I missed.
I think I will have to start a brand new game and delete my save if I want the Flasks though... 9 to go and only 13 that I haven't double checked... chances of the 9 being in that final 13 are slim. As I said though, all my own fault.

Still enjoying the game though.

Off Topic: It's not a cake walk, honestly. You will perhaps get irritated by the end of level guys, on Hard Boiled they can kick your ass. Though, as with most games, once you know their patterns it become far easier. Lok requires a bit of luck though - try and take him out with the statues he starts next to. But you are right, HB is all about patience.

tysz87
02-21-2011, 11:01 PM
Believe me, I've got the same problem but with thermos... I found 99/100 and I can't get the last one. I've watched guides, checked in game but i couldn't find...